Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past (15822 Views)

See The Exact Crate Umaru Dikko Was Found In At Stansted Airport In 1984 / How An Igbo Woman Saved Buhari From Coup Plotters In 1984 / Pictures : Interesting Newspaper Headlines In 1984-85 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 29, 2015
GBTYO:
[size=18pt]Public Officers (Protection Against False Accusation) Decree No. 4,1984[/size]

Drafted on March 29,1984, Decree No. 4 was the most dreaded, most repressive and the last press law enacted in Nigeria. It was promulgated during the military regime of Major General Buhari which did not take kindly to press criticisms.

The law was drafted to punish authors of false statements and reports that exposed the Buhari administration and or its officials to ridicule or contempt.

Section 1, sub-sections (i), (ii) and (iii) of the law - the most formidable section - provided that:
Any person who publishes in any form, whether written or otherwise, any message,rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, statement or report which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Military Government or the Government of a state or public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

Any station for wireless telegraphy which conveys or transmits any sound or visual message, rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Government or the Government of a state or a public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

It shall be an offence under this Decree for a newspaper or wireless telegraphy station in Nigeria to publish or transmit any message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular stating that any public officer has in any manner been engaged in corrupt practices or has in any manner comiptly enriched himself or any other person {Gazette, 1984).
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by Austindark(m): 6:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
it seems we are to witness this again
http://www.signalng.com/nigerian- senate-recommends-2-year-imprisonment-for- false-statements-on-social-media/
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by najoke: 7:23pm On Dec 02, 2015
GBTYO:

Because he destroyed all records of his looting when he was head of state.
Choi.....HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.........................are you for real shocked
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by MIM77(m): 7:42pm On Dec 02, 2015
GBTYO:

How foolish can you be?

The Supreme Military Council headed by Abacha was the highest decision making body in the land.

Buhari was not even considered for such membership as being a member meant being an active senior Military officer.

Your Buhari was down the rung of administration which shows how low and desperate he was to have accepted an appointment under his junior and same military officer that was active in his booting out of Dondon Barracks.

Your Buhari is a desperate man.

Buhari headed the highest decision making body u are talking about, more than 10 years b4 Abacha did. So what are u talking about Buhari bn considered 2b a member of a Council he Chaired which Abacha was probably a member of? Buhari ws a retired general at dat time and too high to be a member even if it is contestable, bn a former HOS. His acceptnce of d Ptf job was a display of humility and d drive to affect d life of a common man, which without doubt he did.
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by Levinelsonbob(m): 8:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I'm sure you have problem with comprehension. Didn't you read where it's stated that anybody that publishes FALSE information . . .?
And it then depends on what the powers that be will see as false information. Fredom of press can never be overrulled in a social set up.
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by Chxta(m): 6:39am On Dec 22, 2015
Does anyone have the text of Decree 4?
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by 12Monkeys: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2016
Shehu Garba is now threatening "criminal prosecutions" on anybody who states that Buhari drew pensions from the army and also if he collected allowances from the FG as a former head of state.

Aisha Buhari threatening to sue a sitting governor for accusing her of being indicted in a bribery scandal in the US.

A man is arrested by the police for naming his dog Buhari because it may lead to civil unrest.

3 Likes

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by 12Monkeys: 8:27am On Aug 18, 2016
ayindejimmy:

Forget about all your historical thesis for a while.
OK, so over 30 years ago Buhari has a dictator promulgate a decree against freedom of the press? Over 30 years ago.... Right?

And have a repeat of a 30yr old problem.

Madness is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result every time .

Your wasted vote took us back to 1984

3 Likes

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by Ogarkor(m): 8:37am On Apr 15, 2017
I hope all those thumbing up for this dictator can read themselves.@GBTYO good tackle

3 Likes

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by GBTYO: 4:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
Ogarkor:
I hope all those thumbing up for this dictator can read themselves.@GBTYO good tackle

If not gross foolishness what else can we ascribe to this zombiesm?

1 Like

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by meccuno: 5:56pm On Oct 04, 2017
welcome back to the dark days...

2 Likes

Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by 12Monkeys: 2:00pm On Feb 29, 2020
bump
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by OK2NVME: 11:54am On Oct 27, 2020
joseph1832:
Blah blah blah!. I believe what I see. I tell you I was very much around when Buhari was H.O.S and I know what I saw okay. Not all this half baked lies you spew just to discredit the man.

May God punish you wherever you are for this post you made
Re: Decree 4 Was Promulgated In 1984 To Shield Buhari's Corrupt Past by mc0zwald: 12:07pm On Oct 27, 2020
OK2NVME:

May God punish you wherever you are for this post you made
and punish you and your entire lineage for being bastards who roam the streets like vagabonds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alledged Plan To Islamise Nigeria: “Methodist Prelate Refutes Report”.. / Buhari Signs Treaty On Establishment Of Abidjan-Lagos Corridor / Hardship: Sanwo-olu Slashes Transport Fare In Lagos, Food To Be Sold At Discount

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.