Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (229386 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 02, 2016
joseph1013:
stephenmorris, got your mention. How have you been? Where have you been? Be well, bro.
took a break from social media bro
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
Seun:
Religious People Are Suffering & They Need Our Help

People often ask outspoken atheists why they like to argue with religious people. "If you don't believe in God", they ask, "why do you spend so much time attacking people's religious beliefs?" They often respond by saying, "religious people keep trying to impose their religious beliefs on us through evangelism and politics, so we have to defend ourselves." Atheists who don't feel threatened usually choose to remain silent. I used to be a pretty quiet atheist myself, until I noticed something about religious people that I hadn't noticed before. Religious people are suffering!

Religion is not a harmless delusion. It's not a benign folly that merely wastes people's time. It's a malignant malady that systematically robs the majority of humanity of their freedom, pleasure, joy, comfort, knowledge, intelligence, health, money, lives, and much more. It would be selfish of us as atheists who are free from religion not to make every effort to free people from religion so that they can have much better lives.

Many religious people are not allowed to have blood transfusions. This means thousands of religious men, women and children have died from treatable medical conditions, such as pregnancies with any kind of complications, non-fatal car accidents, treatable gunshot wounds, etc. simply because they are not allowed to accept blood transfusions. So many children have become orphans needlessly; so many men and women became widows and widowers; so many fathers and mothers lost their children. All because of a religious rule that make no sense at all.

Many religious people are forbidden by their religions from enjoying most of the good things in life. Things like secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had to forgo most of these wonderful things? Horribly boring. You'd probably kill yourself. I guess that's why many religious people are suicidal and violent.

Most religious people believe in the afterlife. As a result, instead of focusing on the current life and making it as enjoyable as possible for themselves, their friends, and family members, they often endure miserable lives in the hope that they'll be rewarded after they die. An extreme case of this is the case of suicide bombers and religious fighters who embrace violent deaths for the sake of an imaginary paradise.

Many religious people are pressured to give a sizable proportion of their income to the religious establishments they worship with. Poor people are taught that the best way to get rich is not to save their money and invest in education and entrepreneurship, but to "sow" it by giving it to their rich religious leaders who will use it to live flamboyantly, and build religious monuments to attract more cash cows. When this stupid idea of "sowing"doesn't make the poor people rich, they are told that it's because they don't have faith, have sin in their lives, etc.

Many religious people are made to believe that the secret to good health and healing is prayer, having been brainwashed by dishonest sermons and misleading testimonies. When they have health problems, instead of going to good hospitals, they embark on prayer and fasting. When their friends slump due to heart attacks or strokes or seizures, they start praying on them instead of rushing them to good hospitals where they can get competent medical help. People have died of curable diseases like malaria because they didn't accept treatment until it was too late.

Many religious people are tolerant and liberal by nature, but due to certain verses in their holy scriptures, they feel that they must be intolerant of various groups of people that God supposedly doesn't like, such as lesbians and transexuals. They are against abortion, which they think is murder, but also against sex education, which reduces abortion rates dramatically, because they think it may encourage premarital safe sex. As a result their daughters end up getting pregnant outside wedlock, having illegal abortions, and dying despite their opposition to abortion.

Many religious people are women, and it sucks to be them because the scriptures of the major religions are clearly sexist. One scripture claims that women must be quiet and submit to men because man were created first and woman came from man, which is rather suspicious because in real life it's women who give birth to men. Another scripture proudly asserts that woman are deficient in intelligence and piety. There are almost no female prophets, apostles or disciples. The few famous women in major scriptures are famous not for personal exploits but for giving birth to important men, marrying them, or leading them astray (Eve, Jezebel). Religious women can't live up to their full potential.

And don't even get me started on the horrible treatment of "demon-possessed" people (the mentally ill) and "child witches".

Clearly, religious people are suffering. Our parents, siblings, and children. Our friends, crushes, and admirers. Our colleague, bosses, and employees. To save them, we who are atheists must come out of our closets and start speaking out; challenging them and educating them.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:23am On Dec 07, 2016
Steve Chike Abia

In case you have not heard, the House of Reps has passed for second reading a bill seeking to provide for the establishment of the Ecclesiastical court of appeal (Christian court) in the country.

The nation is burning, literally. Recession, inflation, insecurity...and this what the leaders are obsessed about. Christian and Muslim courts.

What about courts for Sango and Amadioha worshipers??

We seem to be in some kind of "religious insanity competition" where members are in a competition to know which sect is more insane than the other.

RIP Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:21am On Dec 13, 2016
I AM FURIOUS

I am furious at the waste of life in Uyo at the Reigners Bible Church. What infuriates me the most is those people that died have been slowly dying from the cancer of religion for years now. Their life had been slowly siphoned off by their thieving pastor who has been stealing their time and money by selling them some non-existent god. This same fraud is happening all over the country on a mass scale.

What is most painful is the people that died paid for the roof that collapsed on them. They were told they were paying tithes for salvation and a better future when they were actually paying for their mass grave. In short they were sold false promises.

Now some are telling us they should be grateful they died in church as if the reason people are told to come to church is to die.

I am so furious I can't possibly describe how I feel.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
WE NEED TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS

No one is celebrating the collapse of the Church in Uyo, people are simply asking where the God Christians say protects them during accidents is. The God they ask others to turn to or face his wrath; the God they say collapses nightclubs on gay people; the one that saved a Colombian player because he was reading a bible. Where was he when a church filled with bibles collapsed killing scores of people?

How come when a nightclub catches fire it's god's wrath but when a church roof collapses it's the engineer's fault?

These questions need to be asked because once the dust settles it will be business as usual for Christians. They will go on telling us why we need their god's protection, therefore one definitely has to question what they mean by God's protection when it fails.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:27am On Dec 14, 2016
THAT"S WHAT IT"S LIKE...

Imagine if you lived in a city where everyone still believed in Santa Claus. Not just the children, but grown, educated adults.

Imagine that they believed that Santa Claus was real, that he was watching us, making his list, checking it twice, with an army of elves to help him keep track of our actions and deeds. If Santa concluded that we were good, he would reward us. If he believed we were bad, we would be punished.

Imagine that these people believed strongly enough in Santa Claus to write to him regularly and ask him for things -- not just the children, but all the adults too. But no one had ever really seen him, or his elves, or his reindeer pulling his sleigh across the sky. They just had faith that he was there.

Imagine that whenever you asked one of them to prove Santa's existence, they responded with, "Well, you can't disprove it." And you knew they were right -- no one can ever really prove that Santa Claus DOESN'T exist.

Imagine that every time you tried to bring up how juvenile and delusional it is for grown, educated adults to believe in Santa and his elves, you were admonished and told to address their belief in Santa with "respect." You were told not to use words like "delusional" or "ridiculous" to describe this unwavering belief of grown adults -- in Santa Claus.

Imagine if a small group of these people were actually ready to kill you if you mocked or questioned the idea of Santa Claus -- or even Rudolph.

Imagine that this belief was being taught in science classes. Or was being used to justify violence, harsh corporal punishments, and war against those who dared to question it -- or worse, against those who believed in the Tooth Fairy instead.

Imagine seeing all of this happen in your city every day. Imagine your Harvard-educated mayor asking for Santa's blessing after every public speech.

Imagine wanting to honestly and openly talk about how mind-blowingly ridiculous it is for a majority of grown adults around you (including many whom you love and otherwise respect) to really, genuinely believe in Santa -- but holding your tongue for fear of being accused of "bigotry" against Santa Claus believers.

Imagine, then, being forced to treat their beliefs with "respect" -- and always having to discuss them as if you're taking them seriously -- when deep inside, you despise these beliefs for their sheer utter wickedness.

THAT'S what it's like.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:56pm On Dec 15, 2016
Apparently, today is the 2nd year anniversary of this thread. Amazing how fast time went. It's been worth it. We grow each day and it's incredible how much progress I have made in my godless life.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by hahn(m): 6:36pm On Dec 15, 2016
joseph1013:
Apparently, today is the 2nd year anniversary of this thread. Amazing how fast time went. It's been worth it. We grow each day and it's incredible how much progress I have made in my godless life.

Congratulations

You dey try

God give you more strength tongue

Do you have your own blog? This here is serious content grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2016
hahn:

Congratulations

You dey try

A blog is too much work. I don't have the time to promote it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by hahn(m): 7:05pm On Dec 15, 2016
joseph1013:

A blog is too much work. I don't have the time to promote it.

Content alone is a good start but it's all good

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:14pm On Dec 16, 2016
[b]SOLVED! HOW NOAH POPULATED THE ARK

I've been trying to work out how the Noah family collected all the animals for ark in seven days. I think I've figured it out.

They divided the world up by continents. There are seven continents counting North and South America separately. My guess is Japheth took Australia/Oceana and his wife took Asia; Shem took Africa and his wife did Europe; Ham and his wife took North and South America respectively. That leaves the continent with the fewest animals, Antarctica for 600 year-old Noah himself--it's a smaller job and, at his age, he probably wouldn't feel the cold too much.

Noah's wife, Naamah, probably worked point from the ark to control everything. To get the job done in time, she would have needed to employ satellite imaging to find the animals and IsatPhones to communicate worldwide with her collection teams.

Naamah would have direct access to a master database of animals and would check them off as they were collected. This was a precision operation--if she missed one animal, it would be lost forever--God was out of the creation business!

Obviously, having the animals leg it back to the ark was a non-starter; they must have used transport. In fact, transport would have been the biggest problem, with vast distances to cover, huge loads and very little time.

These vehicles must have been enormous. There would be no time for multiple collect-and-return-to-base trips. To get an idea of size, think in terms of 75 railroad stock cars for each vehicle.

I'm guessing they used hyperdrivemobiles, with antigravity fields capable of hovering above land and sea. At the enormous multi-mach speeds necessary to achieve this task human control would have been impossible. Here I'm thinking GPS systems, directly linked to Naamah's database with radar and ultrasonic collision avoidance for day and night operation.

A suitable power source must have been a real headache. Nothing short of a fusion reactor would have the capacity and power for the job. So that's it. Job done.

This is one in the eye for naysayers who bleat that this job was impossible. All the technology necessary is ALREADY IN USE TODAY (or will be soon), so it is completely feasible. And, if humans can invent these things, they would be trivial for God.

All you need is a little faith.[/b]

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 3:47pm On Dec 16, 2016
joseph1013:
WE NEED TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS

No one is celebrating the collapse of the Church in Uyo, people are simply asking where the God Christians say protects them during accidents is. The God they ask others to turn to or face his wrath; the God they say collapses nightclubs on gay people; the one that saved a Colombian player because he was reading a bible. Where was he when a church filled with bibles collapsed killing scores of people?

How come when a nightclub catches fire it's god's wrath but when a church roof collapses it's the engineer's fault?

These questions need to be asked because once the dust settles it will be business as usual for Christians. They will go on telling us why we need their god's protection, therefore one definitely has to question what they mean by God's protection when it fails.

Guy I dey feel u bumper to bumper

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ScienceWatch: 12:41pm On Dec 17, 2016
hahn:

Congratulations

You dey try

Nairalanders, we must help each other when our posts are fraudulently modified my a person like "HAHN". Hahn recently modified an original post to make it seem like the Holy Jesus Christ was a satanist.

One day Hahn will look back to this day with a heavy heart. But he will have been banished to a mental asylum by then !
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:41am On Dec 19, 2016
WHY NOT BELIEVE IN GOD SINCE THERE IS EVIDENCE IN THE BIBLE

I love Quora. It is a spectacular forum. Intelligent, witty, reasonable answers. I spoke to a friend of mine how that there is not a lot of Nigerians commenting on the forum, and the guy told me he is glad Nigerians don't comment. He said he would be ashamed of the things Nigerians write. He pointed me to Nairaland and the idiotic comments on the forum. I laughed.

Anyway, a guy asked this question:

Why don't people believe in God if there is a substantial amount of evidence to support it like the Bible?

And he got this lovely answer:

For the same reason people don’t believe in Harry Potter, even though there’s a substantial amount of evidence in seven books and eight movies.

For the same reason people don’t believe in Zeus, Hera, Athena, Aphrodite, etc. even though there’s the Iliad and the Odyssey and numerous other similar sources.

For the same reason people don’t believe in vampires, despite sources from Bram Stoker, Anne Rice, and Jim Butcher.

BRILLIANT!

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:45am On Dec 20, 2016
Peter Adeosun Keyz wrote

I don't usually get annoyed but one thing that typically gets me annoyed nowadays is when people tell me

'Don't worry. God will still use you. You will still end up a man of god. Even Paul did worse and god still used him'.

There are many things insane about that wish. I can discuss them in a 1,376-word post but not necessary. Let me just pick the simplest of them all. It's insane because that's not my own wish for myself. Let's break that down a bit.

What do they mean by god will use me? Well, I will be another Enoch Adeboye who blocks the express several days a month by reason of the crowd he gathers. That's all there is to their definition of 'being a man of god being used by god'. Well, I'm an adult and I have wishes for my life. I'm totally convinced that I can do better things with my life.

I want to invent something. I want to do a ground-breaking research in my discipline. I want to be the one that will discover non-mutilating (aka nonsurgical) cure for jaw tumours or perfect curative treatment guidelines for stage 4 (A-C) cancer. Something like that. I consider it a waste of family resources (my dad and mum toiled over me) and society's resources and even personal effort to move from a primary school pupil to a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon and now end up being a personality that just gathers a crowd on the express. Any attempt to even imagine my life ending up as such a monumental waste gives me debilitating shudders!

Today, years and centuries after they died, we remember the Wright brothers for air travel, Karl Benz for the petrol-powered car, Graham Bell for the telephone, Michael Faraday for electricity, Albert Einstein for theoretical physics, Alessandro Volta for the battery and power packs, etc. In my discipline, there are hundreds of names of innovative people too but don't let me bore you with names.

However regardless of your race, religion, or social class, your feelings about these great inventors are the same. For instance, mention Thomas Edison in Saudi Arabia, Cuba, Canada, Sierra Leone, India, or Australia and the reaction is unanimously positive. They actually solved humanity's problems. Picture 40 years after Pastor Adeboye for instance. Not even all Nigerian Christians will agree on what he did, talk less of Muslims, Guru Mahraji people, or Amadioha worshippers. Even thousands of years thereafter, Jesus and Mohammed haven't successfully garnered the same feelings across the whole humanity. I don't want to be a sectional leader. I want to be remembered equally by the whole human race for solving a problem.

So next time, just say something like

'Peter, I believe in you. You will win a Nobel prize in the Physiology and Medicine category.'
Or
'You will take your profession to the next level globally'
Or
'You will discover a tangible solution to a tangible problem facing the human race'
Etc, etc

That sounds more like it. 'What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world...?' Well, I'll consider myself highly profited if I save the whole world from a problem. I don't need more.

If you really love me, show me by wishing me that my wishes for my life will come to pass. Don't force your wishes or your god's wishes on me. That's not love. That's harassment and coercion.

And one more thing. That I smile when you say it doesn't mean I'm not extremely irritated. I just fake the smile for the sake of peace.a

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:42pm On Dec 21, 2016
GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE

Christians and Muslims agree that the Jews are God's chosen people. Crucially, God revealed himself to the Jews and to no one else. If the Jews had not diligently carried out God's wishes, Christians and Muslims would not have learned about God and would still be pagans today.

So why don't Christians accept what Jews say about Jesus and why don't Muslims accept what Jews say about Muhammad?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:09pm On Dec 21, 2016
joseph1013:
GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE

Christians and Muslims agree that the Jews are God's chosen people. Crucially, God revealed himself to the Jews and to no one else. If the Jews had not diligently carried out God's wishes, Christians and Muslims would not have learned about God and would still be pagans today.

So why don't Christians accept what Jews say about Jesus and why don't Muslims accept what Jews say about Muhammad?
They are all victims of indoctrination.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sheyviruz(m): 2:33am On Dec 22, 2016
what else to say than "eleyi gidi gan"
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:55pm On Dec 22, 2016
[b]WHY THE DOUBLE STANDARD?

There are people who are utterly certain they are being observed by aliens. We may try to reason with them but usually we cannot disprove their beliefs. We can only show there are no good reasons to hold them. They say, if we don't believe them, it is we who have a problem--not them.

These people are routinely diagnosed as mentally unwell. We take the view that, if their delusions compromise their wellbeing or safety, we should offer them medication, counseling and, in extreme cases, we should confine them.

We accept these people are ill and we seek to take care of them and help them to get well.
There are people who are utterly certain there is an invisible being watching them and that this being actually created the entire universe from nothing. We may try to reason with them but usually we cannot disprove their beliefs. We can only show there are no good reasons to hold them. They say, if we don't believe them, it is we who have a problem--not them.

These people are almost never diagnosed as mentally unwell. We take the view that, even if their delusion compromises their wellbeing or safety, they should be free to believe whatever they like. Only in very exceptional and rare cases do we offer them medication or counseling.

Generally, we do not accept these people are ill and we leave them to fend for themselves. Yet these people can be much more at risk than those who believe in aliens. There is no known case of a believer in aliens going without food, rejecting medical treatment, lacerating his own body, facing up to angry mobs or committing suicide to appease his favourite aliens.
How can we justify this double standard?[/b]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Empiree: 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2016
your thread still josef? grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by obinna58(m): 2:22am On Dec 23, 2016
Their is nothing like magic in this world all you that think magic exist it all lies its something u can learn and mostly it has secret their is no God jus that your mind is playing tricks on you which you can stop if only you want but it takes time religion has injured us badly the story and miracle Jesus performed is completely lies nothing can break the law of physic without secret s
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:36am On Dec 23, 2016
THE SOURCE OF ALL MORALITY

"When the Israelites were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. Those who found him brought him to Moses, Aaron and the whole congregation. They put him in custody cause it wasn't clear what should be done to him. Then the lord said to Moses: "The man shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him outside the camp." The whole congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death. Just as the lord had commanded Moses."

~ Numbers 15:32-36.

A man was publicly executed for picking up sticks. Thus says the Bible, the purported source of all morality.

When you go through these Old Testament teachings and you're a humanist, the barbaric context is enough to make you swear off the Christian religion.

Then you are bound to hear some of these Nairaland apologists say: "That's the old testament, Jesus has given salvation from all such barbarity."

Of course. Except that the one who commanded thus is still believed to be ageless, changeless, timeless.. And until they find such verses that disturb them personally, the Old Testament still constitutes the larger portion of the holy book which holds all absolute truths and ordinances directing human behavior.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:23am On Dec 25, 2016
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Whenever you say Jesus is the reason for the season, you need to be reminded of some historical facts. The history of Christmas is very long & tortuous but I'll try & present an abridged version here. Of course, I expect everybody to know that the origin of Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus or Christianity but in case you didn't know, your ignorance should be cleared by the time you finish reading this. What you're about to read may be something you've never heard before.

To start with, why December 25? The day Jesus was born (if he ever was born) is not known. That's strange! Almost all persons who have a wide impact on the world have known birthdays. The census reported in Luke (the one requiring Joseph & Mary to travel to Bethlehem) actually never took place and the story of an astronomical event ('Star in the East') reported in Matthew as to have happened around then is yet to be verified by scientists. There was a Roman pagan celebration of the birthday of Mythra, the Sun God.

This celebration took place on December 25. When the Roman Emperors forced the whole world to become Christians ('Catholicism'), they needed to accommodate everybody into the church. One way of doing that was to inculcate some of their customs into the church. Since the Christians at that time associated Jesus with the 'Sun of Righteousness' mentioned in Malachi 4:2, Emperor Constantine drew a parallel between the two 'Suns' (Mythra, the pagan Sun & Jesus, the Christian Sun) and decreed that December 25 should be used to celebrate the birthday of Jesus.

As an aside, every time you go to church on Sun-day morning, you're testifying to Mythra, the pagan Sun god. Before then, Jehovah was worshipped on Saturday while the Sun God was worshipped on Sun-day.

Because of the implications on the religion, some early Christians didn't like the idea that Christmas was a pagan invention. So they invented an alternative theory. 1st century anonymous work said the world was created on March 28. Iraenus (a 1st century historian) plagiarized that & said Jesus must have been crucified on March 25 & if so, he equated the equinox (March 25) with the conception of Jesus. This made so many early Christians BELIEVE (what can't belief achieve?) that Mary must have been impregnated by the Holy Ghost on March 25. And if someone got pregnant on March 25, then she must have given birth on December 25, i.e., 9 months after.

But this attempt is funny. How can you just base your belief on someone else's conjecture? And if the Son of God wasn't conceived through natural means, how are you sure that the pregnancy went the natural way of 9 months? Jesus could've spent 15 months or 3 months in her mother's womb: you can never know.

The caroling was a Christian conversion of the pagan Koliada. The gift-giving spree is reminiscent of an earlier Roman pagan celebration of Saturnalia. The Yule (or Yuletide) is the name of an indigenous midwinter festival celebrated by ancient Germanic peoples. The Christmas tree is a direct importation of the pagan tree worship which was tied to the Thor god. Father Christmas & Santa Claus are fictional figures but even though the idea of the former predated the latter, they later became unified into a single personality.

Santa Claus is the anglicized form of 'Sinterklass' which simply meant Saint Nicholas in Dutch. St. Nicholas was a Greek bishop who was noted for taking care of children and rewarding the well-behaved ones with gifts. Even though the St. Nicholas Day (a feast of giving in its own right) is still celebrated on December 6, the St. Nicholas concept (called 'Santa Claus') was superimposed on the preexisting Father Christmas as a means of further Christianizing a pagan celebration of December 25.

All these pagan origins made a section of the 17th century church to frown on Christmas. In addition, they discovered that no saint celebrated their birthday in the Bible (in fact, Job & Jeremiah cursed their birthdays) and every birthday celebrated in the Bible (Pharaoh's in Genesis 40 & Herod's in Mark 6) was marred by an evil consequence. Called the 'Puritans' (an essentially reformationist Protestant movement), they campaigned against the pagan & unbiblical celebration called Christmas. In fact, they were the ones ruling the English Parliament & they outlawed Christmas for these reasons. As they were the colonial masters of America ('New England'), Christmas was similarly outlawed over there.

Even though, political dynamics restored Christmas to Christianity later (18th century onwards), such puritan sects still exist today. Examples are the Jehovah Witnesses & the Deeper Life Bible Church who don't celebrate Christmas for the same reasons. But some of those Christian sects go to church on Sunday. As I said earlier, worshipping Jehovah on Sunday has exactly the same origin as celebrating Jesus' birth at Christmas: so why they have problems with Christmas & not Sunday services is still a mystery.

Anyway, Christmas is now approaching the status it started from — a non-Christian significance. The progressive secularization of the festival is obvious in the songs: some are outright religious songs (e.g., 'Silent Night', 'Hark! The Herald Angel Sing') while others are purely secular (e.g., 'Jingle Bells', 'Days of Christmas'). There have been campaigns in the US to convert the greeting, 'Merry Xmas', to 'Happy Holidays'. The Philadelphia State outlawed Christmas carol in schools. Christmas is increasingly becoming more of a secular celebration than religious.

Nigeria is one of many countries where Christmas is a public holiday. How that happened is well-represented in the picture below. I'm sure seeing that picture will make you love Xmas as an African. Enough said!

And FYI, in case you think it's the whole world that's celebrating the 'born-in-a-manger' story, you need to read this. Christmas is NOT a public holiday in many countries like Afghanistan, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Comoros, Iran, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Libya, Maldives, Mauritania, Mongolia, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, & Yemen. Countries like Somalia & Brunei have even banned Christmas celebrations with anybody doing something as simple as wearing a Santa Claus hat to spend 5 years in jail. Of course, that's how intolerant Muslim-dominated countries can be to foreign ideologies compared to Christian-dominated countries. Countries like Japan, where Christians are a tiny minority, widely celebrate Christmas purely for the exotic cultural & secular significance.

Thanks for your time

Merry Xmas (sorry, Happy Holidays) to you all!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Caveatemptor(m): 6:39pm On Dec 25, 2016
Merry Saturnalia!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 25, 2016
Merry Christmas Nairalanders.
Feliz Navidad!
Eku odun!
Joyeux Noel!

Enjoy the rest of the evening!!!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:06am On Dec 26, 2016
THE REAL MVP

On many occasions, Theists and Religious people claim that Atheists are usually rude, dismissive and condescending in arguments about God or religion in general. This claim is not entirely untrue. It is the case that Atheists have been known to be rude, dismissive and condescending.

The problem here is that sometimes it can be hard not be. Personally, I can't claim that I have always been civil in online engagements and this is partly because some of these 'arguments' religious people proffer are things we have heard before, hundred times over, by better apologists and it gets tiring seeing failed arguments and bad logic being thrown at your face every now and then in the guise of 'argument'.

You can't blame them much because some of them have only just recently started engaging atheists in arguments and maybe these are the first things that come to their mind. I must commend the folks who are always patient and civil. You are the real MVP.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sheyviruz(m): 10:55pm On Dec 26, 2016
merry christmas to you boss joseph1013 and all nairalanders . wishing u a prosperous and peaceful 2017
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sheyviruz(m): 11:02pm On Dec 26, 2016
All is well
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:04am On Dec 27, 2016
sheyviruz:
merry christmas to you boss joseph1013 and all nairalanders . wishing u a prosperous and peaceful 2017 in jesus or allah or my name
Amen grin grin grin Thanks bro.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:17am On Dec 27, 2016
sheyviruz:
oga joseph1013 what is ur view about mark zuckerberg sudden renouncement of athiesm?
I've been wanting to make a post about this (but may be I still will). Anyway, the short answer is: good for him!

I see a lot of atheists online trying several word gymnastics to prove that Mark did not really denounce atheism, but that's BS. Even if he's an atheist, he's denounced it. Period.

But it's laughable when Christians rejoice over his statement. He never said he's a Christian. So what's there to rejoice about? If Christianity is true, then an atheist and a Mark are both going to hell? And if Mark's religion is right (he didn't tell us), a Christian and an atheist will go to Mark's religion's hell (if it has).

Rejoicing over Mark's statement for a Christian is silly.

I read Sapiens, a book by Yuval Noah Harari. I know Mark has read it too. It's fantastic book. You should read it if you've not. Everybody should read it. I gave excerpts on this thread. Because Mark has raved about the book in the past, I understand what he means when he said Religion is important. It is. One of the reasons for our civilization was the way religion helped us to craft stories that people could rally around and build a community, and through that cooperation could happen on a large scale.

So, good for Mark. He's not an atheist. May be he also falls into the category of people who think atheists and agnostics are different. We don't know. If he subscribes to a religion, he didn't tell us unambiguously.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:59pm On Dec 31, 2016
Dear all, that worship the God of Israel, today isn't the end of the year according to God's (Yahweh) calendar.

Today is 2nd of Tevet, 5777. You are meant to use the Jewish calendar not the Gregorian calendar.

Or hell awaits you all.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:20pm On Jan 01, 2017
Olajide Abiola

Whether you're single, married or divorced, be happy. Happiness is not defined by relationship status, it is a personal decision. There are happy singles, married and divorced people as there are equally unhappy ones. Happiness is a personal responsibility. I was a happy bachelor and I remain a happy married man. No! Marriage did not make me happy, it only multiplied it because my spouse brought her own happiness too.

Whether you own a car, bike or you have none, be happy. There are many jet owners who are unhappy. In fact, statistics has shown higher rates of depression amongst the haves. I mean, it is a miserable existence when one's happiness is anchored on such material things. Oh yes, material things, money being the fountainhead provide comfort and conveniences but many are unhappily comfortable. Use money and material things for what they are: means and resources. No more, no less.

Now, be wary of many prophetic declarations that puts you under pressure to acquire this or that to signify that you are 'blessed', leading you into unnecessary depression. You will buy a car and own a house when you need to and have the means. Not having one doesn't mean you aren't blessed. If owning cars and houses were the yardstick of measuring being blessed, just imagine how blessed so many Nigerians are. If we had good transportation and mortgage systems in the country, most of the things we display as tokens of blessings would have been made nonsense of.

Religion has taught many to feel cursed when they go through normal life challenges in varied forms, and to feel blessed only when there is money in their pockets. If people you know buy cars or build houses, genuinely be happy for them. Rejoice with them with sincerity but STOP using it to measure your life.

There is no specific year designated for you to buy a car, own a house or become financially rich. These things happen largely by what you do with a sense of good timing. So, don't let any prayer or prophecy put unnecessary pressure on you. Many challenges you will face are meant to strengthen, enrich and bless you. Stop running away from them or binding and casting them. Though many of them too can be as a result of stupidity, folly, pride, greed or procrastination.

You will be fine, but first, be happy.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.