Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (228646 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:42pm On Jan 19, 2017
NO GODS NEEDED

I have no gods.
I have no fear of demons and devils.
I have no dread of spells and curses.
I don't fret about my fate after I die.

I never pray.
I work for the things I want.
When I do well, I thank myself,
and the people who helped me.

When I do badly I blame myself.
I have no faith.
I have confidence through evidence.
I have hope through optimism.

I have purpose through love.
I have no religion.
To tell me what I live for,
and what I should die for.

No dogma to drill into my kids.
No group I belong to
that makes me better than others
and makes them, less than me.

But I have wonder and awe.
At the age and size of the universe.
At the complexity and diversity of life.
At the achievements of the human mind.
At courage, sacrifice, devotion and much more.

I am an atheist.
I don't know there are no gods.
I just see no evidence that any exist,
and much evidence that we invent them.

So, I can find no gods.

And I have no need of them.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
TWO CONVERSATIONS IN 2,000 YEARS

Sometimes, I imagine having a conversation with an educated man 2,000 years ago. His name is Jonathan and the conversation goes like this:

Me: "What if the world was not like a plate but like a ball? If the ball was spinning, it might mean that the sun does not move around us but we move around the sun. Don't you think that's a possibility and we should be open-minded to it? Right now, we just don't know."

Jonathan: "That is quite absurd. It's impossible. How could the world be like a ball? Things on the bottom of the world would fall off. And if we were spinning, we would all fall over and get dizzy! No, that's ridiculous, the world is like a plate and we do not move! And that means someone must be moving the sun across the sky. And that someone is God."

Roll forward 2,000 years. Now talking to Donald.

Me: "We are pretty sure there was a Big Bang but we do not know what initiated it nor what existed before the expansion began. So we should stay open-minded to the possibility that the universe came about through a natural process that we do not yet understand. Right now, we just don't know."

Donald: "That is quite absurd. It's impossible. How can something come from nothing? We never see something coming from nothing. No, it's ridiculous. Only someone outside the universe could make the universe. And that someone is God!"

Some of us haven't made much progress in 2,000 years. Some of us still prefer to be irrationally close-minded in order to cling onto to the ideas they were raised to believe.

Fortunately, others are prepared to seek knowledge rather than defend ancient beliefs. These are the people who will make our future.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2017
FAITH--A POST-MORTEM

Religious people believe things on faith. Although they hate to admit it, this means they are certain some things are true with insufficient evidence or with no evidence at all.

Actually, it is obvious, even to religious people, that faith is a terrible reason to accept something is true. It is terrible because we know different people use faith to arrive at contradictory conclusions. So some, or all of these conclusions MUST be wrong. For example, using faith Christians believe Jesus was a god but Muslims believe he was only a man. Using faith Jews, Christians and Muslims believe there is only one god but, using faith, Hindus believe there are many.

But there is another way to demonstrate the failure of faith that might have more resonance with religious people--there are things people believe on faith that they cannot possibly know are true. And there are things people are certain about on faith that they cannot truly be certain about. Let's look at some examples.

Muslims believe the Qur'an is perfect--that it contains no errors. I have yet to meet a Muslim who is not certain of this but how could anyone know it? No Muslim will claim to have read the entire Qur'an and confirmed every sub-clause of every sentence in every verse against validated evidence. So how do they know the Qur'an is perfect? Because someone told them and they chose to believe it on faith.

Claims of this sort cannot be shown to be true. There are many other claims that cannot be shown to be true. For example, the claim that God is omniscient. How could anyone be sure of that? They can't--they have to believe it on faith. (I don't even know how God could be sure of this--if there is something he doesn't know, he wouldn't know he doesn't know it!)

There are other religious claims for which there may be some evidence but only enough to arrive at a probability that the claim is true and not enough to arrive at certainty. Take, for example, the claim that Jesus was a real person who actually lived rather than a character of fiction.

Outside of the Bible, we have no first-hand evidence that Jesus existed. For the entire first century Jesus is not mentioned by any scholar, historian, philosopher, politician or poet. Nor is he mentioned in any surviving private letters or official documents. Absolutely nothing has been found. It's as if he didn't exist. And that is odd if he really did perform miracles, anger the Roman and Jewish establishments, attract a large following, get crucified, die and resurrect.

Even within the Bible we have no first-hand evidence. The stories about Jesus were written 30 - 90 years or so after his alleged death and no one who wrote about him could have known him (scholars do not believe the authors were Jesus' disciples--the names of the Gospels were added long after they were written). These second-hand Biblical accounts of Jesus' life are themselves problematic and need to be read with caution.

The Gospels of Matthew and Luke are largely word-for-word copies of Mark yet, despite this, contain differences of fact and paint different pictures of what Jesus was like. We also see embellishments added to the later Gospels that sound fanciful. For example, can we really believe that long dead people arose from their graves and walked around the town greeting people as stated in Matthew 27:52-53?

Given the lack of evidence for Jesus' existence and the nature of the hearsay stories in the Bible, what probability should we place on Jesus being a real historical character? Well, pick your own number, but you can only pick 100% certainty using faith--it is not warranted by the evidence.

Faith is a wholly useless way to determine what is true and what is false. So why do religious people use it? There is a simple answer to that. Faith is all they have. And it is worthless.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
HOW WAS YOUR JOURNEY?

Millions of people have survived religion. Hundreds of people on Nairaland have made the journey from indoctrination to thinking for themselves. I just had a young man approach me today about his change towards unbelief.

Sometimes it takes years, sometimes weeks. Sometimes it is painful, sometimes exhilarating. Sometimes you lose friends, sometimes you don't (but you almost always gain new friends).

For most, completing the journey is a relief, a sense of achievement and a moment of joy. Whatever course your journey took, it will be interesting to others--both those who have been there and those still on their journeys. A friend described his journey beautifully in six concise steps:

Indoctrination - Mental slavery - Education - Skepticism - Secularism - Mental liberation

Then another followed with her journey:

Indoctrination- mental slavery- delusion- objective research- skepticism- SHOCK- pretend christian- atheism- humanism- active human rights advocate

If you have been there, done that, don't withhold it. Share your story. It may be unsafe for you in the real world, but there is no excuse online. You can create a pseudoname online and share your story. There are thousands looking forward to hearing of your journey to freedom.

Thank you!

9 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by AgreatMan: 6:26am On Jan 26, 2017
Hello house, well I have a writing offer for anyone who is interested. I could as well give this offer to anyone around the world, but if there is something we are good at as a Nation, then Christianity probably tops the list.

I need 5 people to write a 12k to 15k word document (or more) for me, and I am willing to pay 1000naira for 1000 words. I have the topics, and you can draw-up a table of contents which you can work with. As soon as we agree on a table of contents, even before you start the actual writing, I will pay 3k and the remaining will be paid in 2 installments. If you can write more than 15k words, it's all good, I will pay for additional contents in equal measures.

Requirements
Sound knowledge of the scripture
A decent command of written English.
You should write with the global audience in mind.
duration is 2 weeks.
Transfer of ownership.
You can use whatever resources at your disposal but you cannot just copy and paste other people's work.
If you also have a work (finished or not) and you want to transfer the rights, send me an email.
if you want some SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS about ANYTHING in the terms, let me know in the email.

Tell me why you can write a 15k words document, and a 200words writing sample (or a link to you articles) and email on [/b] robowriter36@yahoo.=com[b] (remove the "=" sign).
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
WHY DO SOME MUSLIMS HATE US AND FIGHT US?

You may think you know why some Muslims launch terror attacks around the world. Or you may be struggling to understand it. But you don't need to speculate any more because they have spelled it out in great detail. ISIS has its own magazine called Dabiq and issue 15 explains exactly why ISIS hates us. They give six reasons and I'll summarise them for you.

1. They hate us first and foremost, because we are disbelievers; we reject Allah as the one true god.

2. They hate us because our secular, liberal societies permit the very things that Allah has prohibited while banning many of the things he has permitted. For example, we separate religion and state and we allow gay rights and alcohol.

3. They hate atheists because atheists disbelieve in the existence of the Lord and Creator. (Despite the evidence of the complexity of humans and the inexplicably precise laws of nature.)

4. They hate us for our crimes against Islam such as mocking Islam and insulting the prophets of Allah – including Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad.

5. They hate us for our crimes against the Muslims; drones and planes that bomb, kill, and maim Muslims around the world.

6. They hate us for invading Muslim lands and fight us to repel us and drive us out.

For the avoidance of doubt, they make clear that these reasons are in order of importance and, even without reasons (5) and (6), they would still hate us and fight us. Why? Because "our primary reason for hating you will not cease to exist until you embrace Islam."

Even if we "were to pay jizyah [a tax levied on non-Muslims] and live under the authority of Islam in humiliation, we would continue to hate you. No doubt, we would stop fighting you then as we would stop fighting any disbelievers who enter into a covenant with us, but we would not stop hating you."

They also make clear their more "altruistic" motivations. They do not fight us simply to punish and deter us but so we can enjoy both the blessings of the worldly life and the bliss of the Hereafter.

But where do they get all this from? Have they invented it all? I don't think so. I think they can find good justification for all their beliefs in the Qur'an. Certainly, many Muslims have no wish to engage in jihad and may overlook, reinterpret or "explain" the passages that give Muslims the bellicose duties that ISIS has embraced. But they cannot take those passages out of the Qur'an and many Muslims find them inspiring and compelling. And that is the heart of the problem.

If you would like to read the entire article (and others that will make your blood run cold), I give a link below where you can download a pdf.

Sam Harris has done an excellent podcast on this Dabiq article and he attempts to explain the appeal of jihad to some Muslims. I recommend it and give a link to it below.

Download the pdf here: http://www.clarionproject.org/news/islamic-state-isis-isil-propaganda-magazine-dabiq

Listen to Sam Harris' podcast here: https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/what-do-jihadists-really-want

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:04pm On Jan 30, 2017
THE FINAL GOD EXPERIMENT

Many people believe they talk to God. They may "see" his image in their mind or may "hear" his voice. If you are one of those people, here is a simple experiment you can try.

If you see an image of God, imagine it differently. For example, imagine God with a huge nose, with a wide gap between his front teeth or different colour skin. If you hear God, imagine a different voice. For example, imagine a voice with a lisp or an acent or much higher pitched.

You'll have to make an effort to do this, especially if you have been talking to the same God figure for many years. But after a while, you'll get it. Do it for a week. That's all you need to do. I don't think this will change your relationship with God one little bit. But it might help you learn something.

What will you learn? The very fact that you can do this shows there's no God placing himself in your head. There is only you imagining a God in your head.

Now you know it.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2017
WHAT THE BIBLE PROVES

When religious people quote the Bible to prove God exists, atheists say the Bible is the claim--not the evidence.

If that is hard to understand, here is an easy way to think about it. If God is invented, the Bible CANNOT be true. So, when you assume the Bible is true, you are also assuming God exists.

Assuming the very thing you are trying to prove is a circular argument and circular arguments can be safely ignored. Simple.

The Bible proves people wrote a book about a god. That is all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:50pm On Feb 01, 2017
I DON'T CARE

I don't care what arrant nonsense you want to believe, so long as you don't use your beliefs to harm others, or expect me to abide by your rules or respect your beliefs.

If you don't want those things, we're good.

Knock yourself out.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:30am On Feb 09, 2017
WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE, A TOUR OR A BOOK?

You deeply love physics and you are thrilled by discovering things about the universe. You want to learn more and you are lucky enough to be given the choice of a tour or a book.

1) The Tour

You can take a tour of scientific establishments and talk to the most accomplished scientists alive today. Your tour will start in Geneva at the Large Hadron Collider where you will learn state-of-the-art particle physics.

Next to the Max Planck Society in Munich, Germany to learn the latest thinking in quantum mechanics and visit the advanced materials lab where you will learn about the Society's world-class research in nanochemistry.

Whilst in Germany you move onto Darmstadt, to the European Space Operations Centre to talk to the director of the Rosetta mission that landed the Philae spacecraft on the comet Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

Then on to NASA to talk to the team operating the Curiosity Rover roaming Mars. You will also visit the teams behind the Hubble and Kepler space observatories and be told about the flood of discoveries made by those two spacecraft.

Finally, you have a two-week visit to the International Space Station where you can question scientists about the experiments they have carried out whilst living in space.

2) The book
The book is no ordinary book. This book is said to have been authored by the ineffable being who literally created the entire universe from nothing. This gigantic intellectual figure, apparently knows everything, not only about the universe and how it was made but about its past, present and future.

If this is true, the book could be a far superior way of learning about the cosmos than the tour. And the book comes with an amazing bonus--you are offered the opportunity to actually talk to the creator directly, one-on-one. That could be an unparalleled learning experience.

There is just one problem--it may not be true. The book may have been written, not by a transcendent intellect, but by relatively simple men whose answers to questions of the cosmos came to them in dreams or from stories passed down by word of mouth over many generations.

Before you make a decision between the tour and the book, you need to decide; is the book genuine or fake? Fortunately, you are allowed to preview it.

The book starts off badly. It does not mention big bang cosmology, nor does it mention the development of the universe over 13.7 billion years--it does not even mention gravity without which there is no cosmology. It talks of stars as lights in a dome over the Earth and states they could fall onto the Earth! It even suggests the Earth is flat. It tells of creation by magic and omits everything we know to be true through several centuries of painstaking observation, validation and testing.

After the preview you make a decision and it is easy. You are not interested in mythology--you are interested in reality. The tour will be the greatest experience of your life.

The book can go in the waste basket.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2017
TEN BAD REASONS TO BE AN ATHEIST (AND ONE GOOD ONE)

I am an atheist but I often find myself disagreeing with other atheists. There are good reasons to be an atheist and there are bad reasons.

Here are ten commonly heard bad reasons:

"My mum got sick, we all prayed for hours but she died"

"I've never seen God."

"I prayed daily for God to reveal himself but he didn't."

"There are contradictions in the Bible."

"God permitted slavery."

"Babies are born with terrible abnormalities."

"The Genesis creation story has been proven wrong by science."

"There is no evidence that Jesus ever existed."

"We know men invent gods."

"God is supposed to love us but he allows natural disasters to kill us."

These facts are consistent with God not existing, but they are not sufficient to show God does not exist. They are not sufficient because it is so easy to confabulate stories that would allow God's existence to remain feasible, despite these facts being true. Confabulation is the apologist's raison d'être.

So why be an atheist? Be an atheist because the six billion people who believe in God (all gods), cannot between them, come up with a single good reason for their belief, despite several thousand years of trying. Be an atheist because there are no good reasons to be a theist.

That's it. That is all you need.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:51am On Feb 12, 2017
A complex God can come from nothing, but a universe less complex than the God must have a creator? People who insist a god must exist definitely haven't given the whole thing much of a thought.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by avaa(m): 3:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
joseph1013:
A complex God can come from nothing, but a universe less complex than the God must have a creator? People who insist a god must exist definitely haven't given the whole thing much of a thought.

This point defeats the apologists' argument.
They are like: Nothing can be without being created by something.
And I'm like: OK sir. So going by your argument, since we didn't, and couldnt have created ourselves, god must have created us? Yes?
So who the Bleep created this god?

The argument is always so tiring so I take care not to enter into it.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2017
avaa:

This point defeats the apologists' argument.
They are like: Nothing can be without being created by something.
And I'm like: OK sir. So going by your argument, since we didn't, and couldnt have created ourselves, god must have created us? Yes?
So who the Bleep created this god?

The argument is always so tiring so I take care not to enter into it.
grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:50pm On Feb 13, 2017
THE MARCH OF SCIENCE

If you read popular science magazines such as Scientific American or New Scientist, you'll know there is, week-after-week, an unending stream of discoveries from all branches of science. Such is the flood of new material, it's impossible to keep completely up-to-date.

*CORRECTION*

All branches of science except one; creation science. Uniquely, this branch of science has never added to its sum total of evidence, which remains at zero.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by avaa(m): 7:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
joseph1013:
THE MARCH OF SCIENCE

If you read popular science magazines such as Scientific American or New Scientist, you'll know there is, week-after-week, an unending stream of discoveries from all branches of science. Such is the flood of new material, it's impossible to keep completely up-to-date.

*CORRECTION*

All branches of science except one; creation science. Uniquely, this branch of science has never added to its sum total of evidence, which remains at zero.

I think it is an insult on science to include it in the same sentence with creation. Fables, myths? More like it.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:49am On Feb 14, 2017
IS SATAN GOD?

Many people believe God is everywhere at the same time.

Omnipresence is how God can listen to billions of prayers, observe everything that happens and eavesdrop on billions of thoughts all at the same time.

Often these same believers blame Satan when things go wrong. And they blame him for their own bad behaviour and the bad behaviour of others.

I wonder if they realise that Satan too would have to be omnipresent to accomplish all these heinous deeds simultaneously?

Isn't that giving Satan just a bit too much credit? Or is Satan God?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:26am On Feb 16, 2017
IMPORTANT: CLARIFYING TERMINOLOGY

There are some terms that are so widely misunderstood, especially as they are used in the scientific world, that I thought it important to clarify them.

FACT
Something that is observable such as a rock, a planet, an animal or an event, for example, steam is emitted when water boils. Generally, observations are not elevated to "facts" until they are sufficiently verified that we can be quite sure we are not mistaken.

CONJECTURE
An initial guess or hunch which attempts to explain why facts are as they are. For example, we may observe the "fact" of mountains and a conjecture will suggest how they might have been formed.

HYPOTHESIS
A refined conjecture. An hypothesis is a possible explanation for facts. It must be stated in an unambiguous way and in such a way as to be falsifiable. It is unreasonable to accept an hypothesis as probably true until it has survived multiple attempts to be falsified and has accumulated considerable supporting evidence.

A simple hypothesis might be, "Light enables plants to grow". The growth of plants can be measured whilst varying their exposure to light. If plants can be shown to grow without, light this hypothesis would be falsified.

LAW
An hypothesis EXPLAINS facts whilst a law DESCRIBES facts mathematically. Laws have to be extremely well tested and unfalsified.

For example, Ohm's Law for electric circuits states: I = V / R
(current = voltage divided by resistance). An hypothesis would attempt to explain why this law is true.

THEORY
A very well substantiated explanation for a wide range of facts. A theory will usually integrate and generalise a large number of hypotheses. Theories are the highest achievements of science.

Examples are atomic theory, evolutionary theory and the theory of relativity, .

MYTH
A conjecture, dreamed up so long ago by scientifically illiterate folk, that to rational and educated modern people, it looks like complete bollocks.

An example is the creation myth in Genesis.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by adoyi8: 11:57am On Feb 17, 2017
This page has been my inspiration for a long time. keep it up

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:41pm On Feb 17, 2017
WELL DONE BELIEVERS!

If you are a god-believer and you read my atheist posts with a nagging feeling there's something wrong--something I misunderstand or facts I am unaware of, or faultlines in my logic that you can't quite put your finger on... then I say, well done!

Well done because you have passed the stage of rage. Well done because you keep reading and you don't allow tired and flawed apologetics, the many likes we have on the nairaland religion section, to satisfy you any more.

Well done because you have reached the stage of wonder. You wonder about many things. Especially you wonder if you could be wrong and if joseph1013 could be right. You wonder if there is another way of making sense of your life's experiences?

You can't see your way through it yet but you realise you are on a journey and one day things will start to slot into place in a new, more positive and more satisfying way.

So well done. Don't stop now. Keep travelling and keep thinking. It will be so worth it.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
Never judge a book by its cover. Even if the cover has "Holy" written on it, still do not judge it by its cover.

Read every book with a healthy skepticism and and an open mind. No book is infallible.

Question every book and let every word in every book prove its own merit. Merit and veracity are not automatically assigned by what is written on a book's cover. They are earned after every word in a book has been thoroughly examined.

by Dr. Ayinde Olatunde Olayinka

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
BREAKING OUR INTUITIONS

Saw a debate a short while ago about the origin of the universe and how to find out what happenes. So, permit me to rant a little.

Sometimes looking backwards can give us insight into the future. There are things we understand today that would have been incomprehensible, even absurd, to people in the past.

The idea that the Earth could be spherical was once totally counterintuitive--surely people on the underside of the Earth would fall off? It made no sense.

Another such idea is that the Earth is not supported by anything. Surely, the Earth HAS to be supported or it would fall? If we look at ancient "cosmology" we find attempts to explain this mystery. The Earth was said to be flat and supported by turtles, elephants, gods, pillars, or hanging by a thread.

Then we discovered gravity and found a mechanism that allows spherical, unsupported planets to make perfect sense. Nowadays we don't give it a second thought--the counterintuitive has become intuitive. It's hard now to imagine how a planet supported by something could ever have made sense. That idea has become so silly that even children laugh at it.

When we look around us, we find many things that were once thought intuitively impossible but are now commonplace and obvious. Take for example, the idea of sending invisible messages thousands of miles at the speed of light and even passing them through solid walls. This became possible when we discovered electromagnetic radiation and learnt how to use it. Today, the world is alight with EM radiation passing radio, TV and mobile 'phone messages around the world.

Most fundamental shifts in our understanding are brought about by discovering something we previously did not know existed, such as gravity or EM radiation.

Is it likely there are more things we have yet to discover? Definitely. For example, we know there is something we call dark matter but we have no idea what it is or where it came from--calculations just show that something exists. Maybe discovering what dark matter is will again change our perception of what is intuitive and what is counterintuitive.

Intuition is useful but we must recognise its limitations--intuition is based on the world we are familiar with and once we move beyond that world, it may let us down. That is why I shake my head when religious people insist a universe cannot create itself--it's obvious they say!

Well, it is not obvious. Our intuitions are unlikely to extend to the beginning of the universe before there was matter and before there were atoms or even electrons. We already know the world of the very tiny, the quantum world, is strange and counterintuitive and the pre-quantum world may be even stranger.

So let's leave playground philosophising behind us. The job of discovering what happened 13.7 billion years ago is not one that our fallible intuitions will help us with. It is a job for high tech particle accelerators, massive computing power, advanced mathematics and the smartest brains on the planet.

It is unlikely that partisan speculation on Nairaland will help very much.

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Blaqsmith(m): 4:21pm On Feb 20, 2017
joseph1013:
BREAKING OUR INTUITIONS

Saw a debate a short while ago about the origin of the universe and how to find out what happenes. So, permit me to rant a little.

Sometimes looking backwards can give us insight into the future. There are things we understand today that would have been incomprehensible, even absurd, to people in the past.

The idea that the Earth could be spherical was once totally counterintuitive--surely people on the underside of the Earth would fall off? It made no sense.

Another such idea is that the Earth is not supported by anything. Surely, the Earth HAS to be supported or it would fall? If we look at ancient "cosmology" we find attempts to explain this mystery. The Earth was said to be flat and supported by turtles, elephants, gods, pillars, or hanging by a thread.

Then we discovered gravity and found a mechanism that allows spherical, unsupported planets to make perfect sense. Nowadays we don't give it a second thought--the counterintuitive has become intuitive. It's hard now to imagine how a planet supported by something could ever have made sense. That idea has become so silly that even children laugh at it.

When we look around us, we find many things that were once thought intuitively impossible but are now commonplace and obvious. Take for example, the idea of sending invisible messages thousands of miles at the speed of light and even passing them through solid walls. This became possible when we discovered electromagnetic radiation and learnt how to use it. Today, the world is alight with EM radiation passing radio, TV and mobile 'phone messages around the world.

Most fundamental shifts in our understanding are brought about by discovering something we previously did not know existed, such as gravity or EM radiation.

Is it likely there are more things we have yet to discover? Definitely. For example, we know there is something we call dark matter but we have no idea what it is or where it came from--calculations just show that something exists. Maybe discovering what dark matter is will again change our perception of what is intuitive and what is counterintuitive.

Intuition is useful but we must recognise its limitations--intuition is based on the world we are familiar with and once we move beyond that world, it may let us down. That is why I shake my head when religious people insist a universe cannot create itself--it's obvious they say!

Well, it is not obvious. Our intuitions are unlikely to extend to the beginning of the universe before there was matter and before there were atoms or even electrons. We already know the world of the very tiny, the quantum world, is strange and counterintuitive and the pre-quantum world may be even stranger.

So let's leave playground philosophising behind us. The job of discovering what happened 13.7 billion years ago is not one that our fallible intuitions will help us with. It is a job for high tech particle accelerators, massive computing power, advanced mathematics and the smartest brains on the planet.

It is unlikely that partisan speculation on Nairaland will help very much.

Apt. permission to share on my facebook wall please. And the name to credit. Thanks in advance
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:13pm On Feb 21, 2017
PSALM 14

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

I've long lost count of the times Christians have quoted this verse to me. Evidently, they see no irony when grown ups, who believe in invisible beings, magic, monsters and eternal life--all without a shred of evidence, say the fools are those who look for logical coherence and validated evidence before they believe anything. WTF?

These people also lack logic. A cursory review of this psalm would show it is a lie. The very next sentence says, "They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is NONE that doeth good." [My emphasis.]

So, you need only find ONE non-believer who has done good and you have proven the psalm a lie. Well, here are three: Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and George Soros. They are the three most generous philanthropists alive and they are all atheists.

How hard was that? Too hard apparently for logic-challenged Christians, who lack a sense of irony.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:20am On Feb 22, 2017
THE BOOK SAYS SO...

A woman marries a very faithful man whom she is very emotionally attached to and who gives her comfort from time to time. But guess who told the woman that he is absolutely faithful? The man himself!

So one day she comes home and meets a naked woman on her husband's laps, with his lips around her ni.pples. The woman then takes a few steps back, checks again and is sure she is seeing what she is seeing. She calls out her husband, "Johnny, no be you be this?" Johnny says: "yes, na me na." "Johnny, no be woman dey on top your laps so?" Johnny says, sure na so.

Then the woman begins to reason to herself. No o. There has to be an explanation for this. This is not what it looks like. Johnny is absolutely faithful. He says so himself. So what I am seeing here is not what it appears like. I am taking Johnny out of context. I need to look at Johnny when he is dressed up to know it is he I see with a woman in our bedroom!

You see this hypothetical story above? That is how it is when people show passages talking about rape, murder, genocide, slavery, incest, etc, to religionists and they insist that their books are the infallible words of a deity. Because the books say so themselves.

What about what the evidence says before our very eyes? It is even worse that the books are in public domain, not in the bedroom where there are no witnesses.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Aynaijablog: 11:46am On Feb 22, 2017
joseph1013:
Hi friends, I don't even know if I can follow through with this and continue infinitely like I would love to do. I don't know. I only have a feeling that writing best captures what I have to say.

This page will be my questions and rant page.

I am not naive enough to expect that most who come to this page will abandon the faith they hold dear, but I do hope to convince my readers that many of us who walk away have not done so out of a rebellious, juvenile whim, but rather out of a careful weighing of the reasons for and against our former faith. Our decision, far from being "sad," as many of my friends and family perceive it, represents a move from unquestioning acceptance of tradition to a spirit of openness and adventure that pursues the evidence wherever it leads. We left in pursuit of truth.

A little about me: I grew up in a devoted Christian family loving the Lord. I was devoted and zealous. I was the 'dream' child. And because I was equally brilliant, parents pointed me as an example to their kids.

Of course as I grew up, I had questions. One of the earliest I remember was asking how Cain had a wife if there were only three people on earth (Abel having died). The answer my mum gave to that and many of the innocent questions of mine at a tender age was that I should make sure I get to heaven so that I could ask God myself. It didn't prove sufficient but what was a child to do otherwise.

I was a part of the school Christian groups. I also remember being picked by the Children Church's teachers to preach to the entire Church congregation on Children Sunday. It was awesome.

When I got to one of the foremost Federal Universities, I could not be more devoted. I was now into theological texts and got more than five translations of the Bible. I was a walking bible. Of course, there were no bible apps at that time. I consumed alot of religious materials, and read books by so many Christian authors. I also got into reading Islamic texts, mainly so I could know what I was talking about when I encountered Muslim apologists, and oh I was very successful with them.

With time, I was made a Pastor of one of the most vibrant fellowships on Campus. We did not only study the Greek and Hebrew renditions, we knew at heart copious parts of scriptures and could reel them out in our sleep. We were respected on Campus, not the least by the Christian community. We would argue scriptures and rattle you with our knowledge of the redemptive work of Christ and the concept of the New Creature.

As an Engineering student, I spent 3 of my 5 years being a Pastor of this fellowship.

It was after my NYSC that I came across certain comments in books that made me look twice and search further to see if what I had believed and devoted my time to were indeed true.

I have been on this journey for a while now and I can say that I have come to a stage where I can sufficiently say that I am longer a Christian or a religionist. I do not conclusively deny the existence of God, but I can totally say that nobody has given me a convincing evidence for the existence of the Abrahamic God.

Some have told me that I am angry with God. That cannot be true, for you cannot get angry with something you are convinced does not exist in the context that I mentioned earlier. Some have said I believed wrongly, to these folks I say they know not what they sayeth.

I invite Christian readers, as well as other God-believers to consider the possibility that my apostasy is a result not of divine or diabolical deception but of a simple weighing of the evidence ... It might be that I am wrong. It might be that I have not sought God sufficiently or studied the Bible thoroughly enough or listened carefully enough to the many Christians who have admonished me ... Maybe. But the knowledge that billions of seekers have lived and died, calling out to God for some definitive revelation without ever receiving it, or receiving revelation that conflicts with the revelation others have found, contributes to my suspicion that there is no personal God who reveals himself to anyone.

One of my primary reasons for having this page is self-serving: I do not relish knowing that others consider me to be on the road to eternal damnation if I don't repent, and I want to do what I can to change their perception of those of us who do not share their faith. Yet is this self-serving endeavour reckless? If I believed it would worsen the lives of all those who follow my rants and questions, then yes, it would be reckless. But I am convinced that life can actually improve for those who come to understand that our earthly existence is not simply a stage, a cosmic morality play, a precursor to an eternity to come. This life is the real (and only) deal.

Enjoy...

And hey, if you look at my Nairaland history, I do love Football a lot and I'm an investment buff. I'm interested in Politics too and most of all, I love adventure. I love to travel and see new places. I'm also an eclectic reader. Who says unbelievers have a boring life? tongue

Download you latest gospel musics,lyrics,videos and more on www.aynaijablog.com

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 26, 2017
[quote author=joseph1013 post=33406736]

This has never made any sense to me.

Consider the following: We have an all-knowing God who knows us more than we know ourselves. Infact he does not just know us. He knows every of our actions and knows the actions we will take years before we take them. He then gives us a choice to choose knowing what we will take even before we were born. He knows that no matter the pleas and the admonitions we get, some of us will never make the right choice.

He knows all this, allows us to still make the wrong decisions and then punishes us for doing what he knows we will do.

Does that make any sense?

How do you make a man accountable for actions you had forknown that the man will make? Does it not make more sense to only create humans who you have foreknown would make the right decisions and in doing that, PREVENT hell?
This comment caused a heated argument in my neighbourhood. I stumbled on it, showed it to one or two people and before i knew it, the whole place was heated up. I'd particularly like to bring to your notice the argument one particular religious friend of mine put forward to counter/answer your question. She said and i quote: 'God is all-knowing and he has given us a free will. God has given us several options to choose from and he knows the outcome of all those options but he DOES not know which option we'd choose. What to choose is left to us to decide. He only knows the ending of all options'.

Now, for the 1st time, i just got to know there are actually things God does not know.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2017
holamiday:
This comment caused a heated argument in my neighbourhood. I stumbled on it, showed it to one or two people and before i knew it, the whole place was heated up. I'd particularly like to bring to your notice the argument one particular religious friend of mine put forward to counter/answer your question. She said and i quote: 'God is all-knowing and he has given us a free will. God has given us several options to choose from and he knows the outcome of all those options but he DOES not know which option we'd choose. What to choose is left to us to decide. He only knows the ending of all options'.

Now, for the 1st time, i just got to know there are actually things God does not know.

Indeed. This is a very inconvenient truth for the religious as it brings up some logical inconsistencies in the idea of an omnipotent god. So much so that apologists have always come up with convoluted answers to try and address this, like your friend did. Makes no sense to reconcile freewill with omniscience. Did she give you scriptural verses?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2017
HINTS FOR CHRISTIANS

1. Stop praying for your enemies to die. You're not Boko Haram, ISIS or a psychopath. Your "enemies" are often your spouse, you parents, your siblings, your family, your friends, your neighbours, your co workers, your country men... If they all die, who will be left to cope with you?

2. Stop judging people. It's petty. You're a sinner too in somebody else's religious worldview. You eat pork, don't you? To a Muslim, you are a sinner. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.

3. Stop praying for unmerited favour. It is fraudulent. Ensure that you merit every favour you pray for. If your son studies well and another child who never studies does better than he in class every time because the teacher is always rigging the results, how would you feel? "Unmerited favour" is a huge part of the reason why our country is corrupt, inefficient and backward. Merit your favour.

4. Do not protect shady practices because your pastor is involved. Let everyone be accountable to everyone. Let husbands and wives be accountable to each other on how family resources are utilized. Let political and religious leaders be accountable to those whom they lead. There is nothing wrong with being anointed. But there is a problem if an anointed is shouting "touch not my anointed" when told to be accountable.

5. Stop disturbing people's sleep with loud speakers. If they are interested in your message, they will look for your church. That they are sleeping at home means sleep is their priority at the moment.

6. Stop scaring people with hell fire. If your message is true and inspiring, you don't have to bring drama and ojuju calabar into it. A beautiful message is beautiful in and of itself. No need for fear and threats. Telling people they will burn in hell is not a message of love. It is a message of terror. It nauseates many people.

7. Stop disturbing people in buses in the name of bus evangelism. Imagine if Muslims start shouting Allahu Akbar with megaphones and Sango worshippers are shouting eriwooo ya! all at the same time in the same bus? Allow people to enjoy the peace they paid for. Allow the driver to concentrate.

8. It is possible for people to be good, decent and hard working citizens without being Christians. Judge people by their characters. Not by their religions or denominations.

9. People don't become Bill Gates or Dangote by typing Amen on Facebook and WhatsApp. They get educated, learn a trade, excel at their jobs and invest. Prosperity is not just for Christians. It's for every citizen who works hard and works smart.

10. People don't get smart by reading just one book. They read plenty books. Plenty. When you're asked your opinion about the world, quote from different books. Not just one book. That's why you didn't do CRK alone in secondary school. Quote the appropriate book for the appropriate question.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
Hypothetical Newspaper report: Three dead bodies were discovered in Lágbájá's house by the police.

Random Nigerian: Is it only Lágbájá that kills people and stores them in his house? Check Tàmèdò's house, too. There are hundreds of dead bodies there. Nonsense! Witch hunting. It is because Lágbájá is from Làkásègbè tribe and he practices Lámọrín religion that the police are disturbing him?

A lost nation. A lost people.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 28, 2017
joseph1013:
FAITH--A POST-MORTEM

Religious people believe things on faith. Although they hate to admit it, this means they are certain some things are true with insufficient evidence or with no evidence at all.

Actually, it is obvious, even to religious people, that faith is a terrible reason to accept something is true. It is terrible because we know different people use faith to arrive at contradictory conclusions. So some, or all of these conclusions MUST be wrong. For example, using faith Christians believe Jesus was a god but Muslims believe he was only a man. Using faith Jews, Christians and Muslims believe there is only one god but, using faith, Hindus believe there are many.

But there is another way to demonstrate the failure of faith that might have more resonance with religious people--there are things people believe on faith that they cannot possibly know are true. And there are things people are certain about on faith that they cannot truly be certain about. Let's look at some examples.

Muslims believe the Qur'an is perfect--that it contains no errors. I have yet to meet a Muslim who is not certain of this but how could anyone know it? No Muslim will claim to have read the entire Qur'an and confirmed every sub-clause of every sentence in every verse against validated evidence. So how do they know the Qur'an is perfect? Because someone told them and they chose to believe it on faith.

Claims of this sort cannot be shown to be true. There are many other claims that cannot be shown to be true. For example, the claim that God is omniscient. How could anyone be sure of that? They can't--they have to believe it on faith. (I don't even know how God could be sure of this--if there is something he doesn't know, he wouldn't know he doesn't know it!)

There are other religious claims for which there may be some evidence but only enough to arrive at a probability that the claim is true and not enough to arrive at certainty. Take, for example, the claim that Jesus was a real person who actually lived rather than a character of fiction.

Outside of the Bible, we have no first-hand evidence that Jesus existed. For the entire first century Jesus is not mentioned by any scholar, historian, philosopher, politician or poet. Nor is he mentioned in any surviving private letters or official documents. Absolutely nothing has been found. It's as if he didn't exist. And that is odd if he really did perform miracles, anger the Roman and Jewish establishments, attract a large following, get crucified, die and resurrect.

Even within the Bible we have no first-hand evidence. The stories about Jesus were written 30 - 90 years or so after his alleged death and no one who wrote about him could have known him (scholars do not believe the authors were Jesus' disciples--the names of the Gospels were added long after they were written). These second-hand Biblical accounts of Jesus' life are themselves problematic and need to be read with caution.

The Gospels of Matthew and Luke are largely word-for-word copies of Mark yet, despite this, contain differences of fact and paint different pictures of what Jesus was like. We also see embellishments added to the later Gospels that sound fanciful. For example, can we really believe that long dead people arose from their graves and walked around the town greeting people as stated in Matthew 27:52-53?

Given the lack of evidence for Jesus' existence and the nature of the hearsay stories in the Bible, what probability should we place on Jesus being a real historical character? Well, pick your own number, but you can only pick 100% certainty using faith--it is not warranted by the evidence.

Faith is a wholly useless way to determine what is true and what is false. So why do religious people use it? There is a simple answer to that. Faith is all they have. And it is worthless.

I have been quietly going through your posts on "Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion" and it solidifies my reason why I rejected all institutionalized religion.

Am a deist at the moment because science (which is truth based on verifiable evidence) hasn't come to a definite conclusion on how the earth started some billions of years ago nor the origin/originator of the universe. I appreciate the efforts of the scientific community towards discoveries.

For now, I am stuck with the "myth" that an originator with infinite intelligence and of infinite energy started the universe with natural laws (scientific laws we discover as we progress) to guide it as it evolved.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.