Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (229377 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:20am On Jun 20, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

LOL..
IF MUHAMMAD HAD CLAIMED THE SUN SETS IN HIS POCKETS 21ST CENTURY ĮDIOTS WOULD ARGUE IT IS TRUE. cheesy

FUNNY grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
THE GREAT DIVIDE--WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?

There is a line that divides humanity. On one side are people who understand they are born into a culture that has developed over thousands of years. It has a veneer of modernity welded to a solid base of ancient history.

People on this side understand that culture changes but change is slow because we are programmed to respect and maintain our culture.

People on this side appreciate the need to review and challenge culture. They do not see it as sacred truth and wholly good, but as a tool that should serve us well and not hold us back.

We call this side of the divide the Not-Daft side.

On the other side of the divide are people who are prisoners of their culture. They revere it and will not see it challenged and will fight change every step of the way. These people see the here-and-now but are blind to the big picture--they see their culture as a venerated shibboleth with intrinsic value rather than as a tool to be refined and improved.

We call this side of the divide, the Daft side.

Nowhere is this divide more apparent than in the aspect of culture known as religion. Fortunately, it is possible to change sides.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 2:33pm On Jun 25, 2018
joseph1013:
A CURIOUS STORY OF JOHN

SCENE 1:
John believes in Yahweh and he is correct to do so. He believes in the true god.

Aisha believes in Allah but she is wrong, even though she thinks she’s right. She lives a good life and tries not to hurt her fellow humans.

SCENE 2: John is walking on a lonely path and sees Aisha. He rapes her and kills her.

2 months later, John is feeling bad about his actions. He goes down on his knees and prays to Jesus and Yahweh to forgive him of his sins.

Yahweh forgives him.

SCENE 3
Aisha is in Hell fire for believing in the wrong god all her life.

John is in heaven.

The End.

You see how religion can make people believe and do really outrageous things?

BILL GATES IS GOING TO HELL FOR BEING A KIND HEARTED IRRELIGIOUS MAN, WHILE HITLER WILL BE IN HEAVEN AS A CHRISTIAN (WHO ASKED FOR GRACE SHORTLY BEFORE HE DIED).

ALL THE NONSENSE WE'RE EXPECTED TO TOLERATE..
I JUST CAN'T.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:01pm On Jun 25, 2018
joseph1013:

Israelites you mention do not believe in what you believe. They will laugh you to scorn when you mention Jesus as the messiah. They think Christians are dumb.

THERE'S AN INDISPUTABLE FACT IN THIS STATEMENT.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:37pm On Jun 25, 2018
joseph1013:
NEW YEAR MESSAGE

I have a New Year message for all Nigerians who were persistently indoctrinated throughout their childhood years to believe magical stories of gods, spirits, heaven and eternal torture and were pressurised as adults to respect the rules and rituals of these fantasy stories.

If you have resolved to think about these stories, if you have tested them against evidence and found them wanting and have rejected them entirely so they no long have any hold over you, I say congratulations! Well done, you have joined millions who have made the same journey and who help to make the planet more reasonable and less divided.

If you haven't done these things, don't worry you have another year ahead of you. There is still time... 2015 was a great year. 2016 can be greater.

HELLO..
ARE YOU THERE?
IT'S 2018 AND DAFT KEEPS GETTING "DAFTER".

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:57pm On Jun 27, 2018
joseph1013:

MY FELLOW COUNTRYMEN ACTUALLY GLOAT OVER THE DEATH OF A GAYMAN?

This weekend, a story went viral on the internet. In Ondo State, a mob descended on a guy because he was gay. They beat him to a pulp & he was rushed to the hospital but he died of internal bleeding in the hospital. His gay partner who is a popular politician escaped for dear life & they've gone about destroying his properties. Then fools trooped to social media to gloat about the guy's death & celebrate their society's holy cleansing. Two of such fools even went to the late guy's Facebook wall to write express their orgasmic pleasure over his death & post the gory pictures of his corpse. They said we should all learn a lesson from the mob action. No wonder someone said we're in a zoo.

I'm not a homosexual. I'm even not supposed to tell you as it's not your business. What I do in my privacy is my problem, not yours. I'm telling you so that you will put what I want to say in a proper perspective.

We're a sorry lot around here. Before the religions from the Arab Peninsula arrived, historical records told us that Africans were gays & they weren't disturbed by their fellow Africans. Now the imported religions have twisted our reasoning & turned us to fierce brutes. Of course, both the Bible & the Quran advise that homosexuals be stoned dead. These Africans here have only carried out what they read in the scriptures imposed upon them by the foreigners.The antigay law enacted in Nigeria was the height of insanity. And do you know that it was the fastest law ever passed by our national assembly? And yes, ever since we made the law, our economy, health, infrastructure & security have improved immensely. Right?

This is why I somehow believe that organized religion has a way (even if only subliminal) of making people lose their humanity & morality. Most religious people I interacted with concerning the antigay law (and that includes the so-called moderate Muslims) have either been in total support of the draconian law or been indifferent about it. That tells you what happens to people when they embrace a religious ideology. In contrast, no single irreligious person that I know of has been anything but against the law. You see the difference now?

All the countries where homosexuality is criminalized are less developed than the countries where homosexuality is decriminalized. If that doesn't tell you something, then I don't know how to help you. Nigeria is a country of bigots, hypocrites, & religious extremists, just like most fellow underdeveloped countries the world over. Why a country of extremists is complaining about extremism baffles me. Is it out of place that we have Boko Haram?

I still do not understand how what two consenting adults do with each other should incur the wrath of a progressive society. And I will never understand it. I'm sorry for the dead guy & I wish that his family members (if they're not homophobic idiots too) have the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. And as for these idiots, let them continue. The days of their predominance are numbered.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 10:01pm On Jun 27, 2018
joseph1013:

CHRISTIANITY'S DIRTY SECRET

Even before children begin school, parents involve their children in religious rituals and teach them religious stories. As they grow up, children are told how important it is to BELIEVE these stories and to revere the book in which they are found.

If children question or, doubt, any of these stories, they will be warned not to think such things--questioning incurs parental disapproval. Young children may even be threatened with torture if they don't believe...

The problem is, if you want people to believe things that are fully ridiculous and with no evidence, you have to teach them young and teach them repeatedly and emphatically. That is why all religions share this same dirty secret.

There is a word for this process--it's called indoctrination.

Parents teach this stuff whilst they are still primary influencers and before children figure out that some things are true and some are false and learn how to distinguish between them. There is a window of opportunity with children--miss it and you may never get them to believe ridiculous things.

We know this process works because we see children raised as Christians becoming life-long Christians, children raised as Hindus becoming life-long Hindus, children raised as Muslims becoming life-long Muslims and so on. These religions cannot all be true so it is a mathematical certainty that the majority of parents (and, possibly all religious parents) teach their children ridiculous lies which affect them for their entire lives. That's the reason you see very intelligent adults...very knowlegeable adults...very brilliant adults violently believe in a flying donkey, a talking snake and a virgin who gave birth. They just can't help it!

Of course, these parents were mistreated in the same way, so we have a vicious circle that teaches children ridiculous lies generation-after-generation. We need a generation of responsible parents to stop this process, and break the circle--parents who will give children a chance to grow up and think for themselves.

What will you do?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2018
joseph1013:

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE RESURRECTION STORY

Can we ask some very simple questions?

Note: This is for those who have read their Bibles very well. If you're wondering if some of the things I'm saying are in the Bible, please this is not for you.

1. When Jesus arose from the dead, what was his nature: a ghost or a physical body? Using biblical accounts, he zoomed through the wall — that could never been a fleshly body. He suddenly appeared to a certain duo of disciples — again, that must have been a ghost. But Thomas touched his hands — that could never be a ghost: he was a physical body. He had a meal with the disciples — that must have been a fleshly body as spirits don't eat physical meals.

I can go on and on but you sure get my drift. What was the nature of the risen Jesus: ghost or flesh?

2. He was buried without any garments. He perhaps was just covered in some drapes but not garments. But when he arose from the dead, he went about showing himself to people. He wasn't going around naked neither was he going around in the drapes. So where did he get the garments from?

Note: If you answered 'ghost' to the previous question, you're automatically excused from this one.

3. The Bible records that immediately after Jesus died, the tombs were opened and the saints who have been buried for thousands of years came out and appeared to people. How did the people recognize them? I can't recognize my great grandfather that died just 70 years ago. How did those people know that the walking corpses were the saints? And once again, where did those risen bodies get garments from?

4. If he could appear and disappear and pass through walls, he could have quickly appeared to one or two witnesses in Africa and other parts of the world. But why did the resurrected body remain in Galilee, only for the story to be told to Africans by Christian slave masters more than a thousand of years later?

5. Was Jesus crucified or impaled?

6. Between the period he gave up the spirit on the cross and when his spirit returned on the resurrection day, where was his spirit? Bible scholars say his spirit went to hell to preach to the spirits there. Did he spend the whole 3 days in hell or did he spend some of the time with his father?

7. God had already purposed that Jesus would be killed and that he would be betrayed before being killed. So why was Judas scapegoated for simply contributing to the predetermined will of God?

8. And when he ascended into the skies, what happened to his garment? Pulverized? Or removed, folded and kept neatly in a ward robe in the heavens to be worn again when he's returning in the second coming?

9. Jesus invited Thomas to touch his wounds to prove that it was he. In another passage, he warned them not to touch him because he was not yet ascended to the father. Which is it?

It's clear that most Christians don't think about these questions.

CHRISTIANS, DON'T, THINK.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:46am On Jun 28, 2018
[quote author=CAPSLOCKED post=68885922]

I can see you're on a roll. grin grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:49pm On Jun 28, 2018
Anozie Ebirim

All this God heal our land folks (after today's inferno incident at Otedola bride, Berger), aren't you lot tired?

Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

There is no frigging god. Humans are masters of their fate and future.

The carnage you have here won't happen in Sweden and Finland both largely secular.

It is such fatalism, the idea that some supreme sky daddy controls our affairs, that has led us to this.

There is no personal god.

Once you come to that conclusion your mind becomes liberated. You take responsibility for your failures and take pride in your successes. That's how it works.

10 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 29, 2018
Always a fantastic thread
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Chevrolet076(m): 1:19pm On Jun 29, 2018
malvisguy212:
they will here the gospel,as long as the world is not yet come to end[/size][size=8pt][/b][b][i][/i][color=#990000][/color],it may mean some people has not heard.
bible say the gospel shall be preach to all nation then the end will come,it not yet the end of the world so this question is invalid. However there are evidence that say the gospel has been preach to most nation.
ode nie, the people before your undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
gospel came to play angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2018
Temitayo Fabunmi

Two years ago, I took my tatakuku to the dealer to have some minor part replaced. As I be "staff", they did the full inspection and diagnostic thing. I went back later in the day and they said all my tyres were worn and not fit for the road and that I must replace them.

In typical accountant style, I thought they were trying to pull some sales gimmick on me. Then they brought out some legal document and asked me to sign and indemnify them if any accident should occur, that I was warned not to drive the car. At that point, fear catch me small, but having done gra-gra up to that point, shame no gree me back down.

My drive from the dealer that day was slower than a sloth's sidle, such was the fear those garage folks put into me. I then went to KwikFit down the road from work.

"Eyin bros, I beg I wan change the front tyres". Dudes checked the tyres and said the same thing as the dealer. They said I'll have to sign a document similar to the one the dealer had me sign earlier if I didn't change all four.

That was the end of my gra-gra. I changed all four.

Why this verbiage, you may ask?

It simply highlights the society where laws are enforced and there is a legal cost for everyone along compliance chain for breaking the law or aiding in breaking it.

Yesterday, a fuel tanker exploded in Lagos and killed people and damaged a lot of cars. A lot of laws were presumably broken on the way to this carnage.

Over the weekend, we will pray. Before the weekend runs out, more people will die again, because someone somewhere, opted to grease his pockets rather than insist on greased axles. Then we blame demons, mammy water and ancestral spirits.

We will be alright. Last last. A ma wa alright.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 29, 2018
joseph1013:
People should stop saying death is not their portion in Jesus' name.

People die everyday. Muslims, Christians, Animalists, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Everybody.

So stop deceiving yourself by saying death isn't your portion. Death is our portion as long as we live.
Lol, this sounds so wrong yet it's so right. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 9:50pm On Jun 29, 2018
Teempakguy:
Lol, this sounds so wrong yet it's so right. cheesy cheesy
funniest thread ever, atheist ignorance.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Cannawoo(m): 10:45am On Jun 30, 2018
stephenmorris:
pls the day you are done with nairaland don't ever deactivate your account we will need it for future reference and inspiration to upcoming freethinkers

I swear down... You just nailed it... The both of you,how canbi contact you
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2018
HOW GOD WORKS

When we read a good novel, the characters come to life--we can imagine what they are like and what they will do or say in any situation. They become like friends. Sometimes, when a much loved character dies, we may literally sob and grieve.

The more time we spend with these characters, especially when novels have several sequels, the more we get to know them. Eventually, our emotions react to them exactly as they would if these characters were real.

This is how God works.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Hardrive(m): 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2018
plz just turn this thread to a book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:24pm On Jul 07, 2018
Godswill Vesta Utong

I've been trying to wrap my head around this:

N.b.: this post presupposes the existence of God (as described by the religious books of the three popular monotheistic religions.)

One of the claims theists make about God as creator is that he can do with his creations as he pleases. In the wake of the tanker explosion in Lagos last week that caused the death of many—and the flak many sceptics, humanists and atheists poured on survivors and their family members for thanking their preferred deity for saving them while allowing others to die—many theists came on this platform to reiterate the stance that God is at liberty to treat his creations as he wishes. I mean, it makes sense from that point of view to think that a creator would have unlimited creative freedom to do with its creations what he pleases. Would his paintings be mad if Van Gogh set fire to one of them? To five?

Then comes the soul. Pure and ethereal. Stripped of its material shackles. Free. Now—and here is the source of my confusion—if God can do to our bodies what he pleases, allowing us (babies included. Think about that) to die in car crashes and explosions, does he do as he pleases with the human soul? I mean, it's his creation anyway, so yeah, it makes sense to think that he would do with it as he pleases.

Imagine, for instance a hypothetical pious man, who has lived his entire life free of sin, is brutally murdered by armed bandits on his way home from his worship center. To the question "why did God just sit back and watch him get killed?" theists would have a ready-made answer "Well because God does as he pleases with his creations." Fair enough.

Why then is it difficult for theists to imagine that the pious man's soul is languishing in hell too because "God is at liberty to do with his creation as he pleases"? I mean, there's no reason to suppose that good people who died on earth, while God watched, made it to heaven. For all we know, every good and pious human who has ever walked the face of the earth Is probably in hell right now, burning for eternity. Why? Well because "that's just how God do."

Which brings me to the corollary: Promises.

Is God obligated to keep and fulfill his promises? We have seen God fail time and again to keep "his own" safe and unharmed. Even those who have followed his words to the letter. Is God bound by his promises? If he cannot break his promises (when his subjects have in no way erred), then at least we know one thing he cannot do. If however he can break promises at will, then it makes nonsense of the whole concept of proselytization—of spreading the good news—; of questionable aphorisms like "he's a promise-keeping God." Why should anyone think they're ever going to heaven? God can just "change am for them" depending on his mood, even if they did nothing wrong by him.

Third point. Is God obligated to be good? Is there a rule that even God cannot break? When theists say "our God is good." "our God is the most beneficent." what exactly do they mean? Is God good because he must be good? If God cannot be bad, who created that rule? Him? His creator? A mightier God? If however, God doesn't follow any rules tying him to goodness and beneficence, why should anyone think that God is good or kind or the most merciful, when he's just God; an embodiment of random—and most times conflicting—emotional/psychological states? Of what use is worshipping such a God to humans? Of spending enormous energy, time and resources in propitiatory rituals? (we know through behavioral economics and psychology that humans always consider cost-benefit implications of any action before embarking. Gods are worshipped for the goodies that humans believe can be gleaned from such actions: protection, provision, blessings, securing bountiful harvests, etc) if God is neither good nor bad (or both good and bad. Makes sense this way) and is not obligated to keep his promises because "humans are his creations and he can do as he pleases with them." of what use is worshipping such a God? Of what use is such a God to anyone?

8 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 5:17pm On Jul 09, 2018
joseph1013:
GOD vs SURGEONS

Here's a test for those pastors who claim they can work miracles through God; take them to a hospital to pray for 30 patients.

Ten patients have aortic valve failure and need replacement heart valves.

Ten are almost blind, suffering from advanced cataracts--their eyes need replacement lenses.

Ten have chronic osteoarthritis in their knees and need artificial knee joints.

In a modern hospital, surgeons will achieve a 100%, or near 100%, success rate healing these 30 patients. God will not be able to heal ANY of them.

Any pastor can feel free to prove me wrong but we have never, ever seen God do what surgeons do every day.

Believers make extraordinary claims for God. They claim he created an entire universe from nothing and he designed and assembled living things from atoms. But they can't show he can replace a knee joint, an eye lens or a heart valve.

The truth is, believers cannot even show that God exists, far less that he did anything at all--all they have is faith and empty claims.

GOD GAVE DOCTORS THE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS TO DO THOSE THINGS (CHRISTIANS WOULD CLAIM)..... SO THAT THE PATIENTS -ONCE HEALED- CAN MARCH STRAIGHT TO THEIR FAVORITE CHURCH FOR THANKSGIVING, THANK GOD FOR HEALING AND GIVE GIFTS AND MONEY TO THEIR FAVORITE PASTOR(S).

GOD TAKES MOST PART OF THE GLORY AND PRAISES,AND THEIR PASTOR TAKE SOME (BECAUSE HE APPEARED IN THE SICK MAN'S DREAM TO ASSURE HIM THAT THE SURGERY WILL BE SUCCESSFUL). cheesy

AND NOBODY REMEMBERS THE DOCTOR. IN FACT, PEOPLE WILL RATHER GIVE 1 NAIRA TO THEIR PASTOR AFTER A SUCCESSFUL SURGERY (JUST FOR APPEARING IN THE DREAM) INSTEAD OF GIVE 1 KOBO TO THE DOCTOR FOR HIS SERVICES.

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:10am On Jul 13, 2018
WOMEN: GOD'S AFTERTHOUGHT

Genesis 1 is an overview of the Hebrew creation myth, Genesis 2 adds more detail. In particular, it explains how men and women came to be created. God created the first man from dust and called him Adam and made a beautiful garden for him to tend and watch over.

Adam could have been God's final act of creation but God worried the man would need a helper that would be just right for him. God's first thought was to offer the man an animal or a bird as a helper. So God created all kinds of animals and birds out of dust for the man. Adam checked them all out and gave them all names but could not find one that was just right.

God must have been disappointed that Adam was so damned choosy. After all, he'd been offered several hundred thousand different species! Then God had another idea--he would make a helper that looked very like Adam. So he took one of Adam's ribs and made a slightly modified version of Adam. At last Adam was happy and called his new helper woman because she was made from a man.

I do sometimes wonder how different the history of the world would have been if Adam had fallen in love with a cuddly koala bear and taken it as his helper...

The interesting point though is God evidently did not intend Adam to procreate. The creation of woman was a late afterthought once Adam had rejected hundreds of thousands of animals and birds. Despite this, Adam apparently was fully equipped to procreate as we learn in Genesis 4 when Eve gave birth to Cain and Abel.

Obviously, there are many holes to be picked in this silly story but one that few people notice is this; if God did not create Adam to procreate, why did he give him a reproductive system? And if God did create Adam to procreate, why did he offer Adam hundreds of thousands of animals as a help mate and only make a woman as an afterthought?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2018
joseph1013

I'M HERE TO INFORM YOU THAT ALLAH IS ON ONE THREAD ON FRONTPAGE INSPIRING ANTS TO WRITE HIS NAME ON SAND AS PROOF OF HIS OMNIPRESENCE.. INSTEAD OF DOING SOMETHING BENEFICIAL TO THE UNIVERSE. cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:31pm On Jul 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
joseph1013

I'M HERE TO INFORM YOU THAT ALLAH IS ON ONE THREAD ON FRONTPAGE INSPIRING ANTS TO WRITE HIS NAME ON SAND AS PROOF OF HIS OMNIPRESENCE.. INSTEAD OF DOING SOMETHING BENEFICIAL TO THE UNIVERSE. cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 3:32pm On Jul 15, 2018

"DEATH IS NOT MY PORTION IN JESUS NAME"
"I REJECT EVERY SPIRIT OF DEATH IN THIS FAMILY"

WHAT NONSENSE ARE YOU TALKING 'BOUT. DEATH IS THE PORTION.

YOU CANNOT REJECT IT. YOU CAN ONLY TRY TO AVOID IT FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. IT'S INEVITABLE, AND THE IDEA SOUNDS UNPLEASANT BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT WE WERE ALL BORN TO DIE. cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2018
HE PREACHED TO ME! IN A HOSPITAL!
by MsNelly

It will never be perfect, make it work.

I was just thanking god for good health a week ago until I woke up this morning and BAM: No good health. Ugh. So I dragged my weak & lazy àss to the shower, I did some squats (because no sickness should get in the way of my journey to a firm bum), I grabbed the car keys and drove to the hospital, despite how dizzy and tired I felt.

Times like this, I wish I had someone to care for me when I can't care for myself. It sucks that I still have to cook, despite being sick. I have to bath myself, imagine. Black Jesus, fix it pls.

So I got to the hospital, paid for consultation fee and waited for my doctor. I have a favorite doctor: fair, tall, chubby, funny. I always liked seeing him when I got to my hospital, so I was hoping he was on seat.

But alas!

It was a new doctor who awaited me when they called me in: Tall, dark, skinny, absolutely NOT funny.

"Shut the door, have your seat" I did as instructed and folded my hands across my chest.

"Weight: 64. Height: 5'6. BMI: Healthy. Just don't get fat" And he laughed. Apparently, there was a joke there my brain didnt click.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" He asked.

"Headache. Fever, cold."

"So, you feel malaria coming on?" I nodded. He typed one or two things on his computer and stared back at me.

"You're a Christian?"

"No" I swiftly answered, wondering where this one came from.

"Moslem?"

"Nope" He blinked severally. I knew then and there, I should have just said yes to either of the two, it would have saved me the 20 minute sermon that followed. Yes, there was a 20 minute preaching that followed.

"You need to give your life to Christ..." He kept on saying, while periodically pausing to read the Bible.

This doctor I went to for treatment sat me down and PREACHED TO ME! HE PREACHED TO ME! IN A HOSPITAL!

What is wrong with Christians?!

What in fûck's name is wrong with religious people that won't be happy with their lives till they stuff their beliefs down someone's throats? People are unbelievable. People are fûcking unbelievable.

Back to it.. I kept nodding, too tired to tell him to shut up and give me my drugs. Plus, this was my hospital. It had the best of everything. I was not going to be rude to anyone, so I watched him go on an orgasmic ride on what his Jesus has done for him.

When he was done, he smiled at me. He probably thought he had won a soul for Christ and angels in heaven were rejoicing or some shît.

"Shall we pray?" Okay, that was the height of it. I can listen to you go on and on about whatever, but the one thing I won't do is join hands with you to chant some feel good repetitions.

"No" He was surprised. Why would I say no to an innocent prayer that is supposed to help me?

"Okay. Can I pray?"

"No"

"Why are you against prayer?"

"I'm not. It's just If I wanted a prayer, I would've gone to a church. This is a hospital"

"I know that..."

"Oh, do you? Because, for a minute there, I thought you were a Pastor" He laughed again. It was beginning to annoy me. I was going to faint any minute. I did not need this. Was this professional? Doctors preaching in hospitals? For fûck's sake!

"You see, the Holy Spirit led me. You can't say no to the spirit..."

"I need my drugs pls"

"I'll prescribe it. But it is not as relevant as the word of God. God's word is for eternal life. These drugs... They are to sustain one's temporary life" I shook my head. He was unbelievable.

"You cannot impose your beliefs on anyone, under the guise of preaching. If you're up for it, go out and evangelize. The same Bible you read tells you there is a time and place for everything. This is not the place for that, especially when an ailing patient walks through that door."

"But...", he argued. " I tell my patients this all the time. You're the only one who's complained." He looked at me inquisitively. "Why does the Word of God itch you?"

I took in a deep breath. This wasn't the first time someone was preaching to me, without being asked.
Probably won't be the last.

"You can believe in a rock for all I care. Just don't throw it at me"

"Young lady, nobody is throwing anything at you. I'm just... telling you of the rock, as it were"

"And I do not care about your rock so stop pushing it"

"Why don't you care about god? Do you need my number so we can continue this conversation later?
"No" I'd rather choke on a thorn than listen to another minute of your sermon.

"Okay" He shrugged. "I'll pray for you"

"Don't waste your time"

I did get my drugs and I'm on my way to feeling better... to sustain my temporary life.

Christians are a rare breed because if a Muslim did the same thing, they would lose their heads.

But they can go about being intrusive and annoying in the name of god. Y'all should get a grip. When a person says stop, just stop. You're being annoying; and not even cute annoying, animalistic annoying.

If only you lot were zealous about half of what the Bible says than disturbing innocent people for no reason.

Stop fornicating
Love your neighbor as yourself
don't steal, don't covet
Don't be judgmental - this is key
Don't be materialistic

Put effort into these things. And stop preaching about how you want people to go to heaven with you; because trust me, the last thing anybody wants is to live forever with self righteous, hypocritical pieces of shît.

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 5:05pm On Jul 15, 2018
joseph1013:
by MsNelly

I was just thanking god for good health a week ago until I woke up this morning and BAM: No good health. Ugh. So I dragged my weak & lazy àss to the shower, I did some squats (because no sickness should get in the way of my journey to a firm bum), I grabbed the car keys and drove to the hospital, despite how dizzy and tired I felt.

Times like this, I wish I had someone to care for me when I can't care for myself. It sucks that I still have to cook, despite being sick. I have to bath myself, imagine. Black Jesus, fix it pls.

So I got to the hospital, paid for consultation fee and waited for my doctor. I have a favorite doctor: fair, tall, chubby, funny. I always liked seeing him when I got to my hospital, so I was hoping he was on seat.

But alas!

It was a new doctor who awaited me when they called me in: Tall, dark, skinny, absolutely NOT funny.

"Shut the door, have your seat" I did as instructed and folded my hands across my chest.

"Weight: 64. Height: 5'6. BMI: Healthy. Just don't get fat" And he laughed. Apparently, there was a joke there my brain didnt click.

"Headache. Fever, cold."

"So, you feel malaria coming on?" I nodded. He typed one or two things on his computer and stared back at me.

"You're a Christian?"

"Moslem?"

"Nope" He blinked severally. I knew then and there, I should have just said yes to either of the two, it would have saved me the 20 minute sermon that followed. Yes, there was a 20 minute preaching that followed.

"You need to give your life to Christ..." He kept on saying, while periodically pausing to read the Bible.

This doctor I went to for treatment sat me down and PREACHED TO ME! HE PREACHED TO ME! IN A HOSPITAL!

What in fûck's name is wrong with religious people that won't be happy with their lives till they stuff their beliefs down someone's throats? People are unbelievable. People are fûcking unbelievable.

Back to it.. I kept nodding, too tired to tell him to shut up and give me my drugs. Plus, this was my hospital. It had the best of everything. I was not going to be rude to anyone, so I watched him go on an orgasmic ride on what his Jesus has done for him.

When he was done, he smiled at me. He probably thought he had won a soul for Christ and angels in heaven were rejoicing or some shît.

"Shall we pray?" Okay, that was the height of it. I can listen to you go on and on about whatever, but the one thing I won't do is join hands with you to chant some feel good repetitions.

"No" He was surprised. Why would I say no to an innocent prayer that is supposed to help me?

"Okay. Can I pray?"

"No"

"I'm not. It's just If I wanted a prayer, I would've gone to a church. This is a hospital"

"I know that..."

"Oh, do you? Because, for a minute there, I thought you were a Pastor" He laughed again. It was beginning to annoy me. I was going to faint any minute. I did not need this. Was this professional? Doctors preaching in hospitals? For fûck's sake!

"I need my drugs pls"

"I'll prescribe it. But it is not as relevant as the word of God. God's word is for eternal life. These drugs... They are to sustain one's temporary life" I shook my head. He was unbelievable.

"You cannot impose your beliefs on anyone, under the guise of preaching. If you're up for it, go out and evangelize. The same Bible you read tells you there is a time and place for everything. This is not the place for that, especially when an ailing patient walks through that door."

"But...", he argued. " I tell my patients this all the time. You're the only one who's complained." He looked at me inquisitively. "Why does the Word of God itch you?"

I took in a deep breath. This wasn't the first time someone was preaching to me, without being asked.

"Young lady, nobody is throwing anything at you. I'm just... telling you of the rock, as it were"

"Why don't you care about god? Do you need my number so we can continue this conversation later?

"Don't waste your time"

I did get my drugs and I'm on my way to feeling better... to sustain my temporary life.

Christians are a rare breed because if a Muslim did the same thing, they would lose their heads.

But they can go about being intrusive and annoying in the name of god. Y'all should get a grip. When a person says stop, just stop. You're being annoying; and not even cute annoying, animalistic annoying.

If only you lot were zealous about half of what the Bible says than disturbing innocent people for no reason.

Stop fornicating
don't steal, don't covet
Don't be materialistic

Put effort into these things. And stop preaching about how you want people to go to heaven with you; because trust me, the last thing anybody wants is to live forever with self righteous, hypocritical pieces of shît.

THIS POST SHOULD BE PRINTED ON MEGA SIZE BANNERS AND PLACED WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE.

I'M TIRED OF RECEIVING HANDBILLS FROM THESE GUYS. EVERYONE HERE AND THERE TRYING TO CONVINCE ME TO COME WORSHIP WITH THEM.. IF I SAY I'M MUSLIM THEY TELL ME TO ALSO COME AS EVERYONE IS INVITED. THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL REJECT GOING TO A MOSQUE OR SHRINE IF I MENTION IT.
I DARE NOT SAY I'M NOT RELIGIOUS CUS I CAN'T STAND THE ENDLESS SERMONS OR ARGUMENTS AND THREATS THAT WILL FOLLOW. IN BUSES I ASSURE THEM I'M A REGULAR CHURCH GOER TO AVOID ALL THE DRAMA. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE LIKE DUST.

IF THERE'S HELL AND WE GO THERE I'M SURE THERE WILL BE EVANGELISTS THERE STILL TALKING ABOUT JESUS CHRIST AND REPENTANCE.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by visita: 3:20pm On Jul 16, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin

CAPSLOCKED:

THIS POST SHOULD BE PRINTED ON MEGA SIZE BANNERS AND PLACED WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE.

I'M TIRED OF RECEIVING HANDBILLS FROM THESE GUYS. EVERYONE HERE AND THERE TRYING TO CONVINCE ME TO COME WORSHIP WITH THEM.. IF I SAY I'M MUSLIM THEY TELL ME TO ALSO COME AS EVERYONE IS INVITED. THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL REJECT GOING TO A MOSQUE OR SHRINE IF I MENTION IT.
I DARE NOT SAY I'M NOT RELIGIOUS CUS I CAN'T STAND THE ENDLESS SERMONS OR ARGUMENTS AND THREATS THAT WILL FOLLOW. IN BUSES I ASSURE THEM I'M A REGULAR CHURCH GOER TO AVOID ALL THE DRAMA. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE LIKE DUST.

IF THERE'S HELL AND WE GO THERE I'M SURE THERE WILL BE EVANGELISTS THERE STILL TALKING ABOUT JESUS CHRIST AND REPENTANCE.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Prumartmedical: 12:28am On Jul 18, 2018
WHATSAPP FOR CHRIST
[Teaching the person & Principles of Jesus Christ]
Click on the Link Below to join the WhatsApp Group or send a message to
+27630083342 to manually add you.
https:///6AESD4CqSO98aFseXiK5Jv
You can also like our facebook page@ "FB for Christ".
www.facebook.com/faceb00k4Christ

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2018
CHRISTIANS YOU CHOOSE: LETHAL INJECTION OR FIRING SQUAD?

Christians have problems with the Old Testament—all that slavery and stoning people to death for doing things that almost everyone does today is rather disturbing. I'm afraid the OT is a bit of an embarrassment.

Christians get around this by saying the laws in the OT were only for the Jews at that time—not for us today. Except for the Ten Commandments, of course, they are forever and for everyone (oh, and that bit about gay people being an abomination too).

So, that's clear then, we must obey the Ten Commandments. But what about commandment 3 (or 4 depending on which version you prefer). This says. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." We all know what that means—it means no work on Saturday. God actually killed an old man for picking up firewood on the Sabbath.

The Bible is clear about the punishment for working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 tells us, "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD:

whosoever doeth work therein shall be PUT TO DEATH."

The Ten Commandments are either still in force or they are not. If they are, Christians need to decide how to execute those who break this commandment. Will it be stoning in time-honoured tradition or will modern Christians opt for more progressive execution methods such as lethal injection, the electric chair or a firing squad?

Whatever you decide, please give this priority; as it is, the shops and restaurants are far too crowded at the weekends.

Of course, only Christians are obliged to comply with Christian laws, secular (and more sensible) laws apply to the rest of us.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by freethinker01: 7:29pm On Jul 19, 2018
joseph1013:
by MsNelly

I was just thanking god for good health a week ago until I woke up this morning and BAM: No good health. Ugh. So I dragged my weak & lazy àss to the shower, I did some squats (because no sickness should get in the way of my journey to a firm bum), I grabbed the car keys and ]drove to the hospital, despite how dizzy and tired I felt.

But alas!

"Headache. Fever, cold."

"You're a Christian?"

"Moslem?"

"Okay. Can I pray?"

"No"

"I know that..."

"I need my drugs pls"

"Don't waste your time"

Stop fornicating
don't steal, don't covet
Don't be materialistic

I wish I could give this post a thousand likes... It describes how people around me are very annoying n frustrating... You tell them you don't have any interest in whatever they have to say, that's when they'll start... Very annoying pieces of shot.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:24pm On Jul 23, 2018
National Church, completed 2005 ✔️.
National Mosque, completed 1984 ✔️.
National Library, under construction since 2006 ✖️

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Omooba224: 10:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
The Sage of Nairaland! Only Attis knows how indebted I am to you. I have been reading your posts for months now. I must confess, your views proffered solutions to my state of quagmire. I have been asking questions about my faith since the beginning of this year. Anytime I tried to shake indoctrination off, I normally got back to the start menu. Lol! I must tell you, I have gone through a severe development, rebirth. The religious apologists normally keep shut when I tell them what they have never heard in their lives. I am now their nightmare, they keep on shouting "You are a confused being, you have to belong to one religion bla bla bla". I am now free and open-minded.
May Brahma be with you and your brain...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.