Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG (25734 Views)

Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here / An Unhappy Train Experience From Enugu Railway (photos) / Nigeria High Commision In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by raayah(f): 1:55pm On Dec 15, 2014
25 years?
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Huffington: 1:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
Southeast left out as usual.

Why won't the rail pass through Enugu?
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by erico2k2(m): 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2014
tomzman:
Sometimes, I'm tempted to ask God why He made me a Nigerian. When would we learn to think outside the box. A project that sure to b abandoned is what is making some morons shout GEJ till 2019. I wonder wen Nigerians would come out of our folly. You all should take a trip to Germany and see wat a railway system looks like. Rubbish!
Bross read the original post again and digest, pay attention to the funding bit then you will stop having head ache.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by londoner: 2:03pm On Dec 15, 2014
olajide8:

Broz nothing concerns me with your opinion but I must point something out to you- this project is a just a proposal on paper- have they put it out for tender consultancy, to cover the technical drawings and consultancy of the architectural design of the project to cover the whole terrain, have they done a comprehensive study of the profitability, which of the lines would they commence with? what is the EIA's of the project on the communities and area's it would go through ?- when would they start? from where to where? Before they start to think of expanding - how would the contract be financed? Loans or taxes - who are those they would train to operate and man such sophisticated equipment - do we have power? For sub-station running- please stop deceiving us* we know the truth and the day you accept the truth, it would set you free-

You still didn't answer my question.

Its a wonder that even with vidoes of completed track, some still think its just a proposal on paper, even with the wealth of info about funding etc, some are still asking about funding?

Anyhoo......
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by olajide8(m): 2:18pm On Dec 15, 2014
londoner:

You still didn't answer my question.

Its a wonder that even with pics of completed track, some still think its just a proposal on paper, even with the wealth of info about funding etc, some are still asking about funding?

Anyhoo......

Well I am not an engineer nor a valuer so I can't give you answers to that, but I am a broker and I should be able to access risk, look at investments - look at the ROI for such projects and state if it's profitable or not- building the abuja light rail track has taken them 6years and it still has left the ground thou they have moved them 3km's in it and they believe the project is almost complete- going back to your statement between lagos and some other states should not take more then 2yrs - If they start with that and show us proposal then we know where they are going- but they say 25yrs and people swallow it and tell me they are performing Something must be sincerely wrong with our thinking faculty - if we believe this!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by londoner: 2:32pm On Dec 15, 2014
olajide8:

Well I am not an engineer nor a valuer so I can't give you answers to that, but I am a broker and I should be able to access risk, look at investments - look at the ROI for such projects and state if it's profitable or not- building the abuja light rail track has taken them 6years and it still has left the ground thou they have moved them 3km's in it and they believe the project is almost complete- going back to your statement between lagos and some other states should not take more then 2yrs - If they start with that and show us proposal then we know where they are going- but they say 25yrs and people swallow it and tell me they are performing Something must be sincerely wrong with our thinking faculty - if we believe this!!

What does Lagos to "some other states" mean? And where does your time frame of two years come from?

The whole point is that Nigeria will become more connected by rail, ALL regions not that, as per usual, Lagos is made the focus. I'd take the 25 years of simultaneous rail development across Nigeria, including Lagos thanks.

If Nigeria is to truly to stand up as a country, all regions must be considered and we need to start thinking as a nation.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by biodunid: 2:36pm On Dec 15, 2014
So this one na heavenly class then?

http://rt.com/business/212719-china-opens-high-speed-train/

China opens 32 high-speed rail routes in grand expansion

China is launching 32 high-speed train routes on December 10. The network extension includes a link between the biggest city Shanghai and the manufacturing hub of Guangzhou right next to Hong Kong.

The 1106-mile route cuts the journey time down to 6 hours and 51 minutes, instead of the 16 hours it previously took. New bullet train lines are part of the government’s plan to double the size of the domestic rail network.

The expansive high-speed train network in China. Image from wikipedia.orgThe expansive high-speed train network in China. Image from wikipedia.org

China has the world’s largest high-speed rail network, which keeps the growing population and economy connected. The country’s two largest train makers are in the process of merging to create a more competitive company, both internationally and domestically, reports in October said.

The world’s fastest passenger train is also in China - the Shanghai Maglev Train can reach speeds of over 430 kilometers (260 miles) per hour.

Authorities in China have big dreams for the transport network, envisioning links with Asian neighbors, Russia and even the United States and the United Kingdom.

China’s ambition could be curbed by a string of cancelled contracts. In October, Mexico unexpectedly cancelled a $3.75 billion bullet train deal with China, only two days after awarding the contract. The proposed 210-kilometer (130-mile) railway would link Mexico City with the central manufacturing hub of Queretaro. Another setback was in Thailand, where Chinese state companies were slated to develop a high speed rail network.

Devastating high-speed passenger train crashes in China in 2011 that killed 40, and in 2008 that left 90 dead have drawn critics to the project.

However, Chinese trains will arrive in the US before any tracks, as one of the two biggest state-owned train makers, China CNR Corp, has sold 284 cars to Boston’s metro in a $537 million contract.

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Godwinsilas(m): 2:41pm On Dec 15, 2014

The project is designed to cover 54
stations and will take 25 years to build.

This is so seriouse.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by olajide8(m): 2:42pm On Dec 15, 2014
londoner:

The whole point is that Nigeria will become more connected by rail, ALL regions not that as per usual Lagos is made the focus. I'd take the 25 years of simultaneous rail development across Nigeria, including lagos thanks.

If Nigeria is to truly to stand up as a country, all regions must be considered and we need to start thinking as a nation.

The returns on investment of this particular project is negative - considering the fact that economies of country exchange rates change, technology is changing - I would tell you honestly from my own point of view that if this project can not be finished with 3-4yrs - so if technology change we can adapt then it's a waste, because by the time the project finally gets off the trains would be obsolete the tracks may have change from standard to maybe a mono-rail so it can turn easily with possibly the train running without fuel but on nuclear powered uranium meaning they would not need light fuel charcoal and once they are powered on they can stay on for years burning the same fuel - moving at jet speed- the reasons are endless*
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by biodunid: 2:43pm On Dec 15, 2014
China tests 3,000-kph ‘super-Maglev’ train concept

Chinese researchers at the Applied Superconductivity Laboratory of Southwest Jiaotong University claim their fast transportation concept based on magnetic levitation (Maglev) technology could potentially be three times faster than an airplane.

Maglev technology was first proposed in the mid-20th century. Nowadays, the Shanghai Maglev Train can reach speeds of over 430 kilometers (260 miles) per hour and is the world’s fastest passenger-carrying train.

The “Super-Maglev” could, however, beat even that. Chinese researchers have been testing a concept train encapsulated in a vacuum tube, thus decreasing the speed limitations imposed by air resistance on regular Maglev trains.

Should the project be successful, the workable prototype will set the standard for the future evacuation tube transportation (ETT).

“ETT systems might allow HTS Maglev trains to attain speeds in a new order of magnitude, such as super-high 3,000 km (1,800 miles) per hour, which could be applied to some military or space launch systems,” Dr. Deng Zigang, who’s been developing the technology for years, told The Daily Mail.

At the moment, the testing laboratory looks like a toy train track with the vehicle running inside a 6-meter diameter vacuum loop, reaching a speed of about 48 kilometers per hour. But the speed is only limited by the small radius of the ring, Dr. Deng Zigang says.

He says that if the speed exceeds 400 km per hour, more than 83 per cent of traction energy is wastefully dissipated in air resistance. But with a vacuum tube design, that speed could be surpassed in the future.

The researcher doesn’t limit his innovation to land-based transportation only, and hopes that similar vacuum tube technology would be used to launch space vehicles, or enable super-high speeds for military weapons.

Chinese authorities, on the other hand, could utilize the novelty in their grand scheme to link the country with Russia, Canada and the United States with a high-speed railway.

http://rt.com/news/158116-china-super-maglev-train/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by tonychristopher: 2:45pm On Dec 15, 2014
But they said that Jonathan us clueless ..but this is insightful and long time investment

So what says APC
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by emmygzy(m): 3:12pm On Dec 15, 2014
25 years? Another white elephants projects
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by londoner: 3:25pm On Dec 15, 2014
olajide8:

The returns on investment of this particular project is negative - considering the fact that economies of country exchange rates change, technology is changing - I would tell you honestly from my own point of view that if this project can not be finished with 3-4yrs - so if technology change we can adapt then it's a waste, because by the time the project finally gets off the trains would be obsolete the tracks may have change from standard to maybe a mono-rail so it can turn easily with possibly the train running without fuel but on nuclear powered uranium meaning they would not need light fuel charcoal and once they are powered on they can stay on for years burning the same fuel - moving at jet speed- the reasons are endless*

Well tracks dont just carry passenger trains. Goods can no longer be transported across Nigeria, by road alone. One freight train can replace soooo many lorries on the road. In Nigeria that translates to less overturned lorries with multiple casualties. It will also save time and money in transporting of goods in large volumes, including oil.

We all know the number of oil tankers on the road that have caused multiple fatalities.

Rail freight operators will also pay tax to the government.

I think Nigeria really needs this development, to be honest.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by olajide8(m): 3:36pm On Dec 15, 2014
londoner:

Well tracks dont just carry passenger trains. Goods can no longer be transported across Nigeria, by road alone. One freight train can replace soooo many lorries on the road. In Nigeria that translates to less overturned lorries with multiple casualties. It will also save time and money in transporting of goods in large volumes, including oil.

We all know the number of oil tankers on the road that have caused multiple fatalities.

Rail freight operators will also pay tax to the government.

I think Nigeria really needs this development, to be honest.
Yes nigeria need honest developments, but would you build a high speed train just to move petroleum products or grains how economical is that? Considering the cost of fare for such mobility, humans yes! Petroleum products no! They should go with the old train carriages it's cheaper! - do you have an idea of how much people pay to board those trains? It's like going by air- it's expensive even in China!
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by daey118(m): 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2014
I think. They should stop telling us all ds gists and be doing it instead .I think I'll prefer to watch the launching of the completed project than listening to the plans.#PipeDreams
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2014
Nigeria’s Multi-Billion Dollar National High Speed Rail Project

By: David Russell Schilling | September 4th, 2013

Efficient railways play an important role in the socioeconomic development of countries.

Nigeria has received $600 million of what will eventually be billions of dollars to build a 2,000 mile (3,218 km) nationwide high speed rail (HSR) system. The first tranche is a 20 year loan from China’s Export Import Bank to build an 850 mile (1,367 km) section. Eventually the project will cover 54 stations, freight and passenger travel serving the capital Abuja, surrounding areas and most of Nigeria.

Five-hundred million of the loan will go to the railway project and $100 million for Nigeria’s Galaxy Backbone project to improve security in the capital and provide young Nigerians with access to technology.

The railway will take 25 years to build out with north/south lines between Lagos and Kano, Kaduna and Warri and Bauchi and Abuja and Harcourt. There will be three east to west lines as well. Abuja City Centre will be connected to its international airport and to Minna and Kaduna. The system will connect commuter regions around the capital and throughout the country. At this time the Nigerian roadway system is poorly maintained and congested. The new light rail will improve the lives of residents and spur economic growth.
An Ultra Modern Railway System For Maximum Efficiency

Phase I of the project will be the Lagos to Kano line and include tunnels and bridges in between. The railway will adopt international technical standards, including standard gauge steel (1435mm). With the exception of the Abuja to Kaduna section, which will be single track, all other sections will be double track. Maximum running speed is expected to be 93 mph (150 km/h). One hundred and sixty five trains will traverse the railroad each day and carry 169 million tons of freight annually.

The entire system will be digitally operated using fiber-optic cables, radio communication and wireless services located in the Lagos control center. An intelligent Central Traffic Control System (CTC) will allow complete control of computer monitoring, onboard control systems, and LED signal management.

The funding represents the latest in China’s investments in Nigeria and all around Africa in which China will transfer industrial know-how, open new markets and ensure that China gets the most able treatment in trade negotiations.

Additional $500 million loan from China Expected Soon For Airport Expansion

Nigeria expects to close soon on another deal with China to build for airport terminals in Abuja, Kano, Port Harcourt and Enugu.
Nigerian Economy & Development Plan

Nigeria’s population in 2012 was 164 million and is projected to grow to 188 million by 2017. Nigeria’s GDP has been growing at a rate of 5% to 10% over the past decade and is currently about $300 billion annually. Per capita income is $1,657 a year and life expectancy is just 51 years old. Eighty three percent of the population lives on less than two dollars a day.

http://www.industrytap.com/nigerias-multi-billion-dollar-national-high-speed-rail-project/7819
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by fairheven: 4:09pm On Dec 15, 2014
How come not a single state in the South east is included in the the project..one mor reason not to vote Jonathan..were are we headed with all this lopsided development?
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Orikinla(m): 4:26pm On Dec 15, 2014
The project is designed to cover 54 stations and will take [size=28pt]25 years[/size] to build. grin grin grin
GEJ TILL 2025. grin grin grin
But he never even build airport for him Bayelsa State. grin
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by londoner: 5:19pm On Dec 15, 2014
olajide8:

Yes nigeria need honest developments, but would you build a high speed train just to move petroleum products or grains how economical is that? Considering the cost of fare for such mobility, humans yes! Petroleum products no! They should go with the old train carriages it's cheaper! - do you have an idea of how much people pay to board those trains? It's like going by air- it's expensive even in China!

The track can take both commuter trains and freight, no?

When I wait for a train to take me into central London, freight trains, using the same track also pass. Do you dont think trains are a bad idea anywhere else in the world, whether for people or/and goods

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by ceejayluv(m): 5:46pm On Dec 15, 2014
Raikishi:
Oga how many years did it take to build dubai?

Senators with 29million naira salary and overpriced projects given to foreign governments that will deliver obsolete technology in 25 years that will not be sustainable and nigerians are celebrating mediocrity... what a foolish nation.

The Dubai tourist-haven project started in the mid 1980's... Began yielding fruits in the early 2000's as an international tourism and merchant hub.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by engrjacuzzi: 6:46pm On Dec 15, 2014
NRC ......just a typical of Nigeria. I pray they actualize their dreams
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by olajide8(m): 6:59pm On Dec 15, 2014
londoner:

The track can take both commuter trains and freight, no?

When I wait for a train to take me into sentral London, freight trains, using the same track also pass. Do you dont think trains are a bad idea anywhere else in the world, whether for people or/and goods

And these high speed trains are they for freight - check them well and read them up- no one is saying the tracks can't be used for other carriages - what we are saying is if you would do high speed trains and you say it would be delivered in 25yrs to move humans and freight then for next 25yrs we are not moving forward

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by criuze(m): 7:04pm On Dec 15, 2014
The project will be completed on my 50th birthday

And will still have to leave Onitsha for portharcout before I can be picked up
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 15, 2014
The project is designed to cover 54 stations and will take 25 years to build.

Pls can someone educate me name till 25 yes come pass b4 the train go start? I tink say name 2015 we go see did train...educate me oh. 25years...haba DAT one take style long die.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by chocmanne(m): 9:37pm On Dec 15, 2014
rodbel:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5717556-146/story.csp

By Emmanuel Ogala
June 19, 2011 03:19PM

In the early hours of June 28 in Shanghai China, while Nigeria will still be sleeping, a Chinese high speed train will take off with passengers to Beijing, bringing the country's longest high speed railway service into commercial use.

The Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway is a 1,318 kilometres network that connects two major economic zones in the People's Republic of China. It is the world's longest high-speed line ever constructed in a single phase.

Construction on the rail line began on April 18, 2008, two-and-a-half years after Nigeria's transport ministry signed an $8.3 billion contract with the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) to reconstruct the 1,315 kilometre Lagos - Kano railway under the watch of former president, Olusegun Obasanjo.

A ceremony to mark the completion of track laying for the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway was held on November 15, 2010. It took the Chinese exactly two years and eight months to complete theirs. Nigeria's network is three kilometres shorter than the Chinese. It is also a relatively unsophisticated system, meant to carry basic speed locomotive trains. But it is far from finished, five years after the contract was signed.

The Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway project cost the country about $32 billion. It has 24 stations, 22 tunnels and 244 bridges - including the 164-km long Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge which is the longest bridge in the world.

Designers of China's high-speed railway network say the trains will run at a speed of 350 km/h, with a maximum speed of up to 380 km/h which would cut the train travel time between Beijing and Shanghai from 10 hours to 4.8 hours.

"Its technology is advanced, its quality reliable and safety guaranteed," China's deputy rail minister, Hu Yadong, told reporters on Monday in Beijing. "The technical reliability of the line, as measured by international criteria, is world class!"

Comparatively, this network is a thousand times more sophisticated than the Lagos-Kano railway. But even though Nigeria's project is handled - now in part - by the Chinese, it will hardly be completed soon.

Come to think of it 25years to construct a 3,218km network while they built 1,318km network in 2years 8months.

Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by chocmanne(m): 9:41pm On Dec 15, 2014
Originalsly:
Reality check.....Apple has just designed a top of the line Iphone that will take 25 years to build ....when it hits the market in 2040 it will be the world class must have phone.
hahahahahahaha..... yeye dey smell, u dey mind dos morons
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by mrvictor: 10:26pm On Dec 15, 2014
Beautiful!
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by GoodMuyis(m): 10:34pm On Dec 15, 2014
The project is designed to cover 54 stations and will take 25 years to build.

And this makes you happy as if that is the highest priority to Developoment Nigeria
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Eziachi: 1:01am On Dec 16, 2014
2cato:
APC minions come and tell us ur own version of the cost and benefit of the railways to the development of nigeria economy.
Their response may be that the Jonathan high speed train doesn't seem to be running towards the East at all, despite the 99% polling turn out and 99% votes collected.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by tolustx(m): 12:10pm On Dec 16, 2014
kendrick9:
lmao.. who are they deceiving... railway is dead and buried in nigeria...
Anyone who doesn't knw abt dis project must ve been living in a dungeon. Bros. Frm dat dictionary wey u see "dead" and "buried", check dr. U go see anoda word "ressurrection". That's what dis is.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by londoner: 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2014
olajide8:

And these high speed trains are they for freight - check them well and read them up- no one is saying the tracks can't be used for other carriages - what we are saying is if you would do high speed trains and you say it would be delivered in 25yrs to move humans and freight then for next 25yrs we are not moving forward

You may have misread the article. It is not highlighting the trains, its is actually highlighting [b] the rail network[/b]. Which is the trans Nigeria track, that will FINALLY connect the regions of Nigeria. Connect all those cities mentioned, with 54 new stations.

That is what the vidoes and pics are highlighting the railway network, not really the trains to be used on them.

If you dont think its a good ides, fine. I do, because I live and have visited places that have good rail networks for people and goods, so I can appreciate their value. That is whether the trains were high speed or not.

Even the Uk, are embarking on a high seed railway, which is going to take 20 years. This is even though they have one of the most extensive and active rail networks in the world. Maybe by the time it is complete in 20 years, it will be obsolete (by that I think people mean, not the latest thing in vogue or in use). The railways that have been in the UK for hundreds of years are, and will still be in use, they will not be simply replaced by the new network.
Re: Nigeria's High Speed Railway Project Is 'world-class' - KMPG by Sidajili: 7:00pm On Dec 16, 2014
@calebo101 Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra International Airport- Latest Update: Pictures & Video / Anambra Flood: Passengers Rescued Alive After Being Carried Away. Photos / Bike Rider, Passenger Swept By Flood In Ogun, Narrowly Escaped Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.