Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (70865 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Qaisar1: 10:35am On Dec 19, 2014
leki10:

thats gud...welldone...remember to tag a teacher when you post it on ur thread. Thanks.

I have created my thread, but how do I tag a teacher?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by dre11(m): 10:56am On Dec 19, 2014
leki10:

Class, since there are suggestions that we should pic a specific type. I suggest that we all go for the FREEVERSE. THANKS

Since you asked for assignments
Maybe you can go to this my thread and can do some correction. Do some critique of it

https://www.nairaland.com/1998782/subconscious-mind
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by dre11(m): 10:58am On Dec 19, 2014
Qaisar1:

I have created my thread, but how do I tag a teacher?

Just write
Cc: with the name of the teacher as u finish writing your poem
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by timpaker(m): 11:19am On Dec 19, 2014
laykorn:
*walks into the class from the back and searches for the farthest seat so leki10 won't see him to ask questions.

Smart student grin

Ayamlaykorn

Can I add to your lecture on how to write a poem or poetry for beginners?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 19, 2014
timpaker:

Can I add to your lecture on how to write a poem or poetry for beginners?
Yes you can sir.
We didn't include you in the schedule.
We know how busy you are sir.
Do you want to be included sir
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by timpaker(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
[b]Poetry to some, may be very easy to compose and scribble, while others may find it difficult to write and that could be as a result of what to write, what style to write with and what vocabulary to use etc.

Writing a poem for the first time, it is advised that the writer/poet picks a subject or topic - an issue bothering you, nature, an event - it could be anything. But then try and look at it in a different way. e.g. The sun, moon and stars could be called "the bulb of the earth". This could be borne out of the fact that without them there would be total darkness.

Secondly, write down all the words and phrases that come to mind when you think of that topic/idea, then put the idea into your own words rightly describing, appreciating, abstracting your topic. Just like the above example whereby the sun was described as the "bulb of the earth". You can write your ideas in phrases or words like "light", "Illumination", "sky", "cloud", "shadow", "dark", "shadow" etc.

Thirdly, try and juxtapose (merge or put side by side) your words into phrases using your imaginative skill. Note: The writers imagination is his/her greatest asset so you have to display your creativity here in painting your words. Always ensure that the words appeal to your reader i.e. it must make sense. Also, you should try to use different poetic devices like metaphors (the use to describe somebody or something of a word or phrase that is not meant literally but by means of a vivid comparison expresses something or humans) and similes (comparing of two things). Please while doing this, learn not to use an overused expression or idea; You can come up with phrases like "Heaven's light above the cloud"...."Its shadow pierced the sky"....."The earth sleep with its eyes open"...It sees through the dark illumination"....etc.

Fourthly, Organize them into a structure and style. For beginners, it is advisable that you use the free verse form. Place the most catchy part of your lines and message at the end of the poem so that it can evoke meaning and have the reader thinking.

Lastly, read your poem and edit it for spelling errors and punctuations etc...... then voila!!!! you've got your self a poem like:

"The bulb of the earth is
Like a beam of heaven's light below the cloud.
Its shadow pierces the senescent sky
To see through the illuminating darkness
Of what seem like the earth
Sleeps with its eyes open."

Thank you.

[/b]

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by timpaker(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
laykorn:

Yes you can sir.
We didn't include you in the schedule.
We know how busy you are sir.
Do you want to be included sir
Ayamlaykorn

Thank you.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Elantracey:

lol , please tell him grin grin
bad belle who ask you tongue cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 1:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
Veeey:
Seconded.

cc: Leki10
Veeey serious student tongue
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Youngsage: 4:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
Youngsage:
chai, you still dey book space, at your age
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Youngsage: 5:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
laykorn:
chai, you still dey book space, at your age
Ayamlaykorn
hehehe grin

but i no b member of S .B . A. of. N oo

Now following thread tho... Nice!
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by noble4d(m): 12:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
Wow! This is awesome guys....well done.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
noble4d:
Wow! This is awesome guys....well done.
Welcome sir! cheesy
Ayamlaykorn

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Emeraldz(f): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2014
Our lecturers, I have done my assignments. Serious student 8-)
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 6:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
Emeraldz:
Our lecturers, I have done my assignments. Serious student 8-)
I've done my own piece on it,hope u'd be available for to9th's class...9pm
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
Class at 9pm.
Lecturing: texanomaly and EverestDeBliu
Please be punctual.
Thanks cheesy

Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 8:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
Saunters into class. Grabs front seat. Make I sharply do my assignment before classes begin cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 8:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
Samguine:
Saunters into class. Grabs front seat. Make I sharply do my assignment before classes begin cheesy
Welcome
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Students are arriving. Hello everyone.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
*slips in and searches for the most hidden seat so EverestDebliu and texanomaly won't be able to see him and ask questions ;p

Smart student cheesy

Ayamlaykorn
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Zellie: 8:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
Learnt a lot from the previous class
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by youngcrysta(f): 8:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hi... moves to the back seat
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
hello, i am here, i missed the last class, but i read through the thread today and i learnt a lot
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
laykorn:
*slips in and searches for the most hidden seat so EverestDebliu and texanomaly won't be able to see him and ask questions ;p

Smart student cheesy

Ayamlaykorn

Bros. Abeg shift. Make I sit near that wall, in case I sleep off. cheesysad
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
(Clears throat)...you're all welcome.please do have your seats
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
texanomaly:
Students are arriving. Hello everyone.
Hi

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Buqqui: 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
laykorn:

Smart student cheesy

Ayamlaykorn

*silently signals him to make some space*
I no want make anybody see me.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
Let's get to meet the Teachers,for Tonight
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
Texanomaly - Female
USA
Teacher
Member,Nairaland Poetry Club

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.