Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (70902 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
Today we will be studying "Haunted Houses" by William Wadsworth Longfellow and "Unbidden" by Rae Armantrout, 1947.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2015
Objectives:
To understand the word choices used in a poem and how they contribute to its meaning
To determine the meaning of a poem through a synthesis of multiple perspective.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
"Haunted Houses" and "Unbidden" are poems about ghosts, and like all good poetry they go beyond the clichéd images to a deeper place that connects to being human.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2015
What words do you think of when you read “haunted” and “ghosts.”? Make a list.
Draw lines that look like the path a ghost might take, or move their hands in that kind of path.
What sounds do ghosts make?
Write words you would use to describe their lines, gestures, or sounds and add them to your list.
Write what you see in the lines and gestures?
Write what you hear in the sounds?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:27pm On Feb 05, 2015
[b]Poem:

Haunted Houses
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1807 - 1882
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the door-way, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.

There are more guests at table than the hosts
Invited; the illuminated hall
Is thronged with quiet, inoffensive ghosts,
As silent as the pictures on the wall.

The stranger at my fireside cannot see
The forms I see, nor hear the sounds I hear;
He but perceives what is; while unto me
All that has been is visible and clear.

We have no title-deeds to house or lands;
Owners and occupants of earlier dates
From graves forgotten stretch their dusty hands,
And hold in mortmain still their old estates.

The spirit-world around this world of sense
Floats like an atmosphere, and everywhere
Wafts through these earthly mists and vapours dense
A vital breath of more ethereal air.

Our little lives are kept in equipoise
By opposite attractions and desires;
The struggle of the instinct that enjoys,
And the more noble instinct that aspires.

These perturbations, this perpetual jar
Of earthly wants and aspirations high,
Come from the influence of an unseen star
An undiscovered planet in our sky.

And as the moon from some dark gate of cloud
Throws o'er the sea a floating bridge of light,
Across whose trembling planks our fancies crowd
Into the realm of mystery and night,—

So from the world of spirits there descends
A bridge of light, connecting it with this,
O'er whose unsteady floor, that sways and bends, Wander our thoughts above the dark abyss.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
1. Read the poem out loud and answer these questions.
2. What do you hear? Are there rhymes? Are there repeating sounds?
3. What connections and associations does the poet make?
4. What connections and associations do you make to the poem?
5. What do you think the poem is about?
6. What questions do you have about the poem?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
Now read this poem out load:

Unbidden
Rae Armantrout, 1947
The ghosts swarm.
They speak as one
person. Each
loves you. Each
has left something
undone.

Did the palo verde
blush yellow
all at once?

Today's edges
are so sharp

they might cut
anything that moved.

The way a lost
word

will come back
unbidden.

You're not interested
in it now,

only
in knowing
where it's been.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
1. What jumps out at you in the poem? What do you see?
2. What do you hear? Are there rhymes? Are there repeating sounds?
3. What connections and associations does the poet make?
4. What connections and associations do you make to the poem?
5. How is this poem similar to "Haunted Houses"?
6. How is it different?
7. What do you think the poem is about?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2015
After reading the poems out load and answering the questions write a poem using your musings. If you know someone you can do this activity with, it may be helpful.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:09pm On Feb 08, 2015
Do to unforeseen circumstances we will not be having class tonight. Everest and I send our regrets. We will return at 9pm next week. Thank you.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by MaZterZ(m): 9:22pm On Feb 08, 2015
texanomaly:
Do to unforeseen circumstances we will not be having class tonight. Everest and I send our regrets. We will return at 9pm next week. Thank you.

Why cry cry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2015
MaZterZ:

Why cry cry

I'll try to get something together tomorrow night, if that that would help. No one has been around. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by MaZterZ(m): 10:05pm On Feb 08, 2015
texanomaly:

I'll try to get something together tomorrow night, if that that would help. No one has been around. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice.

Been following closely......would be waiting then smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
MaZterZ:

Been following closely......would be waiting then smiley

Thanks for following. We all appreciate you. smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
Here are a few new poetry prompts.

Object Poem - become an object and write about your life as a raindrop, blade of grass, tooth, or mp3 player.

Found Poem - using your favorite book, identify particular words and write a poem.

List Poem - Using an object, experience or feeling as inspiration to brainstorm a list.

Sensory Poem - Using an object or experience, think of all the sensory feelings associated with it and write a poem.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 2:41pm On Mar 03, 2015
Watch out for this space

Watch out
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:26pm On Mar 03, 2015
Looking around,searching for someone,
Don't really know who it is,
But I can feel some eyes on my neck,
Maybe someone is also searching or prying on me.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 04, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Looking around,searching for someone,
Don't really know who it is,
But I can feel some eyes on my neck,
Maybe someone is also searching or prying on me.
How far Eve? Who emerged?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2015
laykorn:
How far Eve? Who emerged?
I knew it!
I felt eyes behind me,so twas you?
Well,Jigsawkillah took it up!
The ship is safe n sailing.
The class is back...tell 'em all,there'd b a class tomorrow and henceforth,hopefully.
Things are restructuring.
How have u been?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
"Good Evening class" , as I entered the class in my Hausa attire, hoping to find none in the class.

Having notice that most assignments given by the teachers to the students were not done. I've been thinking what couldve been discouraging students, are we ir not afraid to write or we dont know what to write, is that why weve not been attending class? so, I decide to talk about that. Today's topic:

Getting Into The Groove

'I have to start to write to have ideas'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
Right about now
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2015
Rolls in on a bike,
Slants it on a tree,the lime
Walks in,without minding the time...
*shakes hand with d guys,n waves @d ladies*
...Hello class!
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:10pm On Mar 05, 2015
ride on sir
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:12pm On Mar 05, 2015
Write every day. Even if it is only letter. Now you've put pen to paper, you want to they to write something everyday. Each of us should set yourself some achievable targets. Try to write that poem you've always meant to write about the mad woman with orange hair who lives down the road or that poem about your cat.
Choose concrete subjects: draw some words sketches if your living room, your backyard, the fish tank, the coming Presidential election. Get into the habit of looking for the telling details, and don't waste adjectives - when you qualify a noun, or use a rhyme, make it interesting, pertinent, unusual.

You want to have words at your fingers tips, so read like mad. Everything and anything: dictionaries, crockery books, novels, poetry, biographies, text books, car manual, techno manual, football programmes, magazines. Write lists of words and keep them near you; if you get stuck write five hundred words using a new word in every sentence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
Maahn!...I'm inspired n re-awakened...my word bank need b credited,rushes to pay in 'words' into my account.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Pdizzle(m): 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2015
Present
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
Buy a notebook and a few good-quality pens and take yourself out for the day. GI and sit in a cafe, get an extra large cup of ice cream and write for few hours. I used to sit down near osun river right up at the end by the dam bridge, where no one could disturb me and write a few character sketches of the people I see around me.

Good writing practice is about discipline. You want to be limbered up, supple articulate, but this will only happen when you are locked into a groove. If you find it hard to puck up the beat day after day, trick yourself. I find it helpful when I stop for the day to leave the last sentence unfinished or the last paragraph only lightly sketches out, so that when I start again I can pick up where I left off the day before.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:30pm On Mar 05, 2015
cisse7575:
I used to sit down near osun river right up at the end by the dam bridge, where no one could disturb me and write a few character sketches of the people I see around me.

(Nodding)
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:34pm On Mar 05, 2015
[b] Writing creatively takes a peculiar kind of concentration. A concentration that develops its own little habits and tripwires to help set it off. We always want to know HOW authors write, as if their behavioural patterns might be an indicator of how to do it ourselves. But these habits are as idiosyncratic as the writer: Mr Everest could only write if he eat FUFU, Donifez only when his girl is not around, Gloria likes to write in bed, longhand, between the hours of midnight and 2am,. And if I'm milling over a problem, I'll go out for a long drive and play the car stereo really loud.

Don't expect to write a whole poem or story in one breath. If you get stuck halfway through a piece, be prepared to go back and start again. Make notes on your story or poems, your character, your use or words, your rhythm, iambic, your setting. Though it nay feel like treading water, like the notes aren't 'proper' writing, they are essential to the process of developing a sense of what you want to say and of finding the added layers of character and setting or rhythm that will make the craft convincing. [/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
question: I'm the type that gets easily tired once I'm holding a pen and feel like sleeping off
what should I do?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by cisse7575(m): 9:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
Here is exercise instruction in Haiku

Now write a short poem.
Free verse. One hundred words.
You have ten minutes.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:44pm On Mar 05, 2015
cisse7575:
Mr Everest could only write if he eat FUFU...
Woh!,I do not concur with this one o (grins)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.