Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (70868 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 7:44am On Dec 14, 2016
TheSCRYPT:

So you are hiding and adding people. It's not fair o. angry

it's open to everyone. all you gotta do is indicate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JoeBlocks(m): 8:07am On Dec 14, 2016
JigsawKillah:

Am I allowed to indicate my interest to join?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by TheSCRYPT: 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2016
JigsawKillah:

How do I indicate, raise my hands? llaykorn, it is still not fair. angry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by llaykorn: 7:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
TheSCRYPT:

Yes, Scrypt, and your legs, too. Both of them. How have you been bro? A thousand years! cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2016
TheSCRYPT:

simply say so. we're not all llaykorns
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by TheSCRYPT: 10:53pm On Dec 14, 2016
llaykorn:

Yes, Scrypt, and your legs, too. Both of them. How have you been bro? A thousand years! cheesy

Aye! I am finally off paper work. I have some time on my hands to learn something new. Please add me up. You have my contact.

JigsawKillah:

simply say so. we're not all llaykorns
Hey, be nice. That was sarcasm.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2016
gudluckgreat:

I have already been added... Don't know who did sha

JoeBlocks:
Am I allowed to indicate my interest to join?

TheSCRYPT:

Please add me up. You have my contact.

WELCOME!! smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harlos: 2:08pm On Dec 25, 2016
Hello TeX TeX

Merry christmas smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Simisreal: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2016
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 7:04pm On Dec 29, 2016
harlos:
Hello TeX TeX

Merry christmas smiley

Harlos! Long time my friend. Miss you. Hope you have a wonderful and prosperous new year. smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harlos: 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2016
texanomaly:

Harlos! Long time my friend. Miss you. Hope you have a wonderful and prosperous new year. smiley

Miss u too. Yeah with family smiley

Hope u r having a nice time with family too?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Dee4dourlly(m): 11:25pm On Feb 07, 2017
Pls, how can I join the group
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 2:02pm On Feb 08, 2017
Dee4dourlly:

JigsawKillah
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 3:39pm On Feb 09, 2017
Dee4dourlly:

are you on whatsapp?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Dee4dourlly(m): 2:59am On Feb 10, 2017
JigsawKillah:

are you on whatsapp?
Yes boss 08144013540
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by stred: 8:19pm On May 07, 2017
Is the group still open?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 3:50am On May 08, 2017
stred:
Is the group still open?

JigsawKillah

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by JigsawKillah(m): 2:07pm On May 08, 2017
stred:
Is the group still open?

Yes, sire.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by stred: 5:43pm On May 08, 2017
JigsawKillah:

Yes, sire.
07067611973 thank you smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by PresidentBuBu: 10:26am On Jul 08, 2017
Is it late I want to join 09022879827
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 1:32am On Jul 14, 2017
PresidentBuBu:
Is it late I want to join 09022879827
JigsawKillah
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by firestar(f): 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2017
Please note to introduce yourself with poetry.
Strictly poetry. written/spoken word.
Welcome in advance.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by AlamienDagash(m): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
Signs in as a student
Hope am not late
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 1:58pm On Aug 16, 2017
Just something to help get you going:

Starting with Little Things: A Guide to Writing Poetry in the Classroom
from Starting with Little Things: A Guide to Writing Poetry in the Classroom

from Chapter 5, “Turning Abstractions into Concrete Images”

Exercise: Images of Feelings

Make a list of emotions on the board: love, hate, jealousy, embarrassment, fear, courage. More. Beginning each sentence with one of these words, write similes or metaphors so that these feelings appear as something you can see, hear, taste, touch or smell. Avoid comparing one feeling to another (love is like happiness). Write a poem about one feeling, using several similes. Or use a different feeling in each sentence. Another possibility of to begin each sentence with “When”; for example, “When (something happened), I was as (happy, sad, angry) as (image).”
Jealous
Jealous is like a planet watching
a shuttle go swiftly past it.
Jealous is like a American bomber looking
at a jet speeding away.
Jealous is like a broken down car
watching a future car in a race.
-Jeff Lewis

When my goldfish died
I was as sad as a mixedup
word trying to get spelled right.

“Self-Image”

Part of our self-image, the picture we have of ourselves, comes from our sense of place: where we were born, where we’ve grown up and explored, places we dream about. We feel comfortable in some places; in others, we don’t. Even within a fairly small place, such as a house, we may identify more with certain rooms, or corners, or objects – the individual parts of a scene. Such subjective feelings are important to our sense of individuality, as well as to our sense of community with people who share our feelings. Learning to recognize ourselves in the world around us is a step toward self-knowledge and maturity that has always been important in literature.

Exercise: Identification

Thinking of your own “roots,” write a poem titled “Born in (California, New York, Chicago, Bend, Redmond).” Begin each sentence with “I am.” Pick out images that come first to mind. Expand sentences; let the reader see as much as possible. If you are the Golden Gate Bridge, what else can you say about yourself? The bridge boats pass under on their way to China? The bridge always choked with traffic? The bridge shining golden in fog? Tell exactly what you see.

Or make a list of different things you might be. If you re an animal, what are you doing? (If a cat, are you sleeping by the fire, chasing a bird, running from a dog, climbing a tree and getting stuck?) If you re an object, where are you – in a kitchen, a bedroom, street, hospital, factory, gutter, cave? What element of nature, time of day, or day of the week? Students should sense a wide variety of possibilities, and should try for different opening words: Yesterday I was, Today I am, Some days I am, Once I was.
Myself

Examples:

I am a mountain
very snowy and waiting
to be climbed.
I am a big white horse
waiting to be ridden.
And I am the wind blowing
all the seeds.
I am just now being born.
– John Bard

I am the clock that is never wound.
I am the fish that is out of the sea.
I am like a frog that is out of order.
I am the sun that is rain.
– Stuart

You look at me
I melt like snow in the golden sun
When you talk to me
I’m closed like a door in a jail
But deep inside I want to tell you
all my wishes and fears
You have to realize that I’m like a book
You have to read between the lines.
– Yvonne M.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by noble4d(m): 9:44pm On Aug 22, 2017
texanomaly:
Just something to help get you going:

Starting with Little Things: A Guide to Writing Poetry in the Classroom
from Starting with Little Things: A Guide to Writing Poetry in the Classroom

from Chapter 5, “Turning Abstractions into Concrete Images”

Exercise: Images of Feelings

Make a list of emotions on the board: love, hate, jealousy, embarrassment, fear, courage. More. Beginning each sentence with one of these words, write similes or metaphors so that these feelings appear as something you can see, hear, taste, touch or smell. Avoid comparing one feeling to another (love is like happiness). Write a poem about one feeling, using several similes. Or use a different feeling in each sentence. Another possibility of to begin each sentence with “When”; for example, “When (something happened), I was as (happy, sad, angry) as (image).”
Jealous
Jealous is like a planet watching
a shuttle go swiftly past it.
Jealous is like a American bomber looking
at a jet speeding away.
Jealous is like a broken down car
watching a future car in a race.
-Jeff Lewis

When my goldfish died
I was as sad as a mixedup
word trying to get spelled right.

“Self-Image”

Part of our self-image, the picture we have of ourselves, comes from our sense of place: where we were born, where we’ve grown up and explored, places we dream about. We feel comfortable in some places; in others, we don’t. Even within a fairly small place, such as a house, we may identify more with certain rooms, or corners, or objects – the individual parts of a scene. Such subjective feelings are important to our sense of individuality, as well as to our sense of community with people who share our feelings. Learning to recognize ourselves in the world around us is a step toward self-knowledge and maturity that has always been important in literature.

Exercise: Identification

Thinking of your own “roots,” write a poem titled “Born in (California, New York, Chicago, Bend, Redmond).” Begin each sentence with “I am.” Pick out images that come first to mind. Expand sentences; let the reader see as much as possible. If you are the Golden Gate Bridge, what else can you say about yourself? The bridge boats pass under on their way to China? The bridge always choked with traffic? The bridge shining golden in fog? Tell exactly what you see.

Or make a list of different things you might be. If you re an animal, what are you doing? (If a cat, are you sleeping by the fire, chasing a bird, running from a dog, climbing a tree and getting stuck?) If you re an object, where are you – in a kitchen, a bedroom, street, hospital, factory, gutter, cave? What element of nature, time of day, or day of the week? Students should sense a wide variety of possibilities, and should try for different opening words: Yesterday I was, Today I am, Some days I am, Once I was.
Myself

Examples:

I am a mountain
very snowy and waiting
to be climbed.
I am a big white horse
waiting to be ridden.
And I am the wind blowing
all the seeds.
I am just now being born.
– John Bard

I am the clock that is never wound.
I am the fish that is out of the sea.
I am like a frog that is out of order.
I am the sun that is rain.
– Stuart

You look at me
I melt like snow in the golden sun
When you talk to me
I’m closed like a door in a jail
But deep inside I want to tell you
all my wishes and fears
You have to realize that I’m like a book
You have to read between the lines.
– Yvonne M.

Hmmm, interesting
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Kormforth: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2017
I wish to join as a student
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2017
Kormforth:
I wish to join as a student
JigsawKillah
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by 1miccza: 4:34pm On Aug 25, 2017
texanomaly:
JigsawKillah

Yellowww!!!!
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 4:38pm On Aug 25, 2017
1miccza:

Yellowww!!!!
Hello. How have you been?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by 1miccza: 4:40pm On Aug 25, 2017
texanomaly:

Hello. How have you been?

I've been here and there to see the queen? How about you? Lolz
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 4:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
1miccza:

I've been here and there to see the queen? How about you? Lolz

I've been in Dallas at hospital with my older brother. He has leukemia. I gave him a stem cell transplant and He is not doing as well as we hoped.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by PDPGuy: 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
texanomaly:

I've been in Dallas at hospital with my older brother. He has leukemia. I gave him a stem cell transplant and He is not doing as well as we hoped.
Hope that your brother eventually recovers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.