Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,954 members, 7,799,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates (596 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates by Pharmtj: 9:19pm On Dec 15, 2014
Nigerian graduates are unemployable is the popular saying in corporate world in Nigeria. I kept silent each time I heard someone saying such thing, not because I totally agree with the saying or absolutely disagree. I have my reasons for my silent, because I don’t want to excuse for the incompetence of these graduate but there are some issues that are not being address that contributed to this degradation in standard of education in Nigeria. My point is that the society is committing the error of fallacy of hasty conclusion. They based their conclusion on little or no fact. I will address the issue according without giving excuse for the failure of these graduates but will also point out the other side of the coin that is causing this menace which the society had refused to address.

My father told about the luxuries they enjoyed during their own time, ranging from free tuition, free books, free food, and free accommodation. Competence teachers/lecturers are at their disposal, they do their jobs with sincerity and highest level of responsibility. The classrooms are adequate and conducive for learning and accommodation is super and inhabitable for human being. Equipments are readily available and there was student loan/grant to help the under privilege and intelligent ones. Course curriculums and school calendar were followed to the later. Students were not forced to sleep with them. To crown it all, there is motivation to finish and finish well. Cars were given to graduates and best brains were sent abroad for postgraduate studies. Government did not rennet in their own duty too, they paid salary as when due and there was good intervention funds released to these institution on a regularly basis.

Coming down to present day situation, which is not palatable at all. The institutions and education in Nigeria had lost their glorious days and society based their judgement on these former glories which had eluded these institutions. Our institutions had turned to a ground where prostitutes and politicians are breed. Competency and sincerity of lecturers had highly reduced. If you listen to some lecturers, you wonder what will become of the students that pass through them at the end of the day. Majority of these lecturers are so busy because they engaged themselves with many jobs in different institutions, as a result them can’t perform the job they are paid for to do and in a way to cover for their inadequacy, they give out notes or handouts not minding if students understand it. They threaten students who refused to buy their handouts or sleep with them. Majority of them refused to finish the curriculum and they missed classes anyhow. Many of them are better called businessman or politician rather than lecturer because of what they engaged into. They called some non-academic lecturers. They go on strike with any useless excuse. I wonder is this how they were taught.

.....to be continue

Olayinka Adedokun

@Mcold

source:mcold10
Re: The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates by kossyablaze(m): 9:22pm On Dec 15, 2014
Harmattan dey o

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates by Beesluv: 9:25pm On Dec 15, 2014
That's naija for you. E go better someday
Re: The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates by Sommey(m): 11:50pm On Dec 15, 2014
Modified.
Re: The Untold Story Of Nigerian Graduates by Sommey(m): 11:50pm On Dec 15, 2014
I don't like being kept in suspense. If you know your work is not ready yet why post it? Should have taken your time to compile and post once and for all so you can get the necessary opinions of people and chip in yours also from time to time. That makes the thread educative and interesting than posting us till God knows when.

#not bashing you though. Interesting topic indeed only that you are yet to satisfy my curiosity.

(1) (Reply)

30 Amazing Infos / Lit. In English Books For UTME 2015 - Updated! / Help Needed!!! Physics Assignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.