Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues (8542 Views)

Strike Continues: FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock With Health Workers / All Health Workers Can Now Be Consultants-fg / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Expertz(m): 9:20am On Dec 17, 2014
Jonathan, why? It is not your fault. Na we cause am by putting u and patience there. Na only you waka come, naija there is god. All of u that are sharing blood
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 17, 2014
Here is why JOHESU is on strike.

Money.

And right now....there isn't enough money to fund health care. Health gets less than 10% of the budget. And that money will fall....thanks to the oil price drop.

There is a solution.

1.)Make all tertiary hospitals, including teaching hospitals run by govt....public private.

2) Redirect government funding to primary and secondary healthcare.

3)Increase fees across all hospitals.

4.)End fuel subsidy....redirect funding to health care

5) Long term....we are going to have to industrialize...so that we have the GDP to fund health adequately.

3 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Omotolashy: 10:04am On Dec 17, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Here is why JOHESU is on strike.

Money.

And right now....there isn't enough money to fund health care. Health gets less than 10% of the budget. And that money will fall....thanks to the oil price drop.

There is a solution.

1.)Make all tertiary hospitals, including teaching hospitals run by govt....public private.

2) Redirect government funding to primary and secondary healthcare.

3)Increase fees across all hospitals.

4.)End fuel subsidy....redirect funding to health care

5) Long term....we are going to have to industrialize...so that we have the GDP to fund health adequately.

Dats wat i called foolishness. I guess ur papa come from Yankee abi?

Wat abt people who can't pay high hospital bill.

Next time dude, talk wit sense or better still shut d Bleep up.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by inimes(m): 10:11am On Dec 17, 2014
The reasons behind the strike are cogent and genuine,for a more efficient and effective health system. In solidarity with JOHESU we stand. A person can only be superior to you by rank,step,level or by designation in line with the public service rules and not by profession nor specialization. So,it is left to you to define who your superior is in your place of work. There are different fields, professions and areas of qualification or specialization. If you believe that others are superior to you by standard of profession,then you remain subordinate to them even when you are of a higher rank,level and step to them.

3 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 17, 2014
Omotolashy:

Dats wat i called foolishness. I guess ur papa come from Yankee abi?

Wat abt people who can't pay high hospital bill.

Next time dude, talk wit sense or better still shut d Bleep up.

Here is the reality.

Oil prices are dropping.

Nigeria gets 90% of its revenue from oil.

Nigeria is also a dutch diseased economy.

And Nigeria has a large population.(Oil rich countries with a high standard of living have populations below 15 million....Saudi and Libya....and/or diversified economies...Norway. Russia is something of a subversion. Nigeria...with its 160million people and poor industrial capability....is a clear aversion)

So,I may be as you have described me....but it does not take a prophet to know that from next year.....savings are in order. And it may become necessary to transfer costs to the general public as part of the cost cutting measures.

Thing is, govt manages a lot of hospitals....and it is becoming expensive to look after all these hospitals, ensure low fees, and give JOHESU and the doctors their five star salaries. Something's got to give.

That's why I advocate that we get of oil and into industries.....industrial societies have the five star GDP to fund everything.....including subsidies on health care.

Health care....is expensive. I don't like my solution.....but wise ideas are not necessarily the lovely ones.

P.S---It may become necessary to increase the scope of NHIS/PHIS.

2 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 17, 2014
inimes:
The reasons behind the strike are cogent and genuine,for a more efficient and effective health system. In solidarity with JOHESU we stand. A person can only be superior to you by rank,step,level or by designation in line with the public service rules and not by profession nor specialization. So,it is left to you to define who your superior is in your place of work. There are different fields, professions and areas of qualification or specialization. If you believe that others are superior to you by standard of profession,then you remain subordinate to them even when you are of a higher rank,level and step to them.

My dear, Nigeria will not adopt a new system of medical practice just to please Johesu. There is no country in the world where all health workers are on the same salary scale. It is injustice to treat unequal people equally. You can't place radiographer or optometrists and doctors on the same scale. That is wrong. The worldwide ideals of remuneration in medical practice must be upheld in Nigeria.
Simply put, doctors are just more equal than other health workers.

12 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by ckmayoca: 11:56am On Dec 17, 2014
sureboykris:
Privatise the health sector and end all this

Lol.. I pity u. Currently patients pays for tests and drugs and not services . I bet what happens when private sectors handles it. Do u work anywhere? I bet u r still a student or unemployed.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by ckmayoca: 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
ILIDEFI:

My dear, Nigeria will not adopt a new system of medical practice just to please Johesu. There is no country in the world where all health workers are on the same salary scale. It is injustice to treat unequal people equally. You can't place radiographer or optometrists and doctors on the same scale. That is wrong. The worldwide ideals of remuneration in medical practice must be upheld in Nigeria.
Simply put, doctors are just more equal than other health workers.

Its not possible to put all on same salary scale... But the doc wanna hold all sections in the hospital even the records.
They earn moves frm 5000 monthly hazard allowance to 50k or 100k while the nurses that sticks wit patients morning and night earns 5k. Why not atleast move up to 20k for em.

2 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by onyxo76(m): 12:03pm On Dec 17, 2014
when it was NMA on strike this page was almost on page 20 with 90% full of curses for doctors , now that its JOHESU , this discussion is still on page 1.

8 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by otswag(m): 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2014
onyxo76:
when it was NMA on strike this page was almost on page 20 with 90% full of curses for doctors , now that its JOHESU , this discussion is still on page 1.
thank You my broda. I was thinking the exact same thing. It shows how prejudiced nigerians are against drs. The issues with d previous drs strike are not so différent and d duration of both Is getting similar yet d response of d général public is extremely far apart. Its Just sad.

4 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by holatin(m): 12:41pm On Dec 17, 2014
goldfish27:

Very soon farmers and food salers go follow....GEJ done finish Naija for us....vote him out come 2015
and some fool go still shout Jonathan till 2015.

Are they mad or stupid ?
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
onyxo76:
You can increase the pages na.

1 Like

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 3:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
otswag:
thank You my broda. I was thinking the exact same thing. It shows how prejudiced nigerians are against drs. The issues with d previous drs strike are not so différent and d duration of both Is getting similar yet d response of d général public is extremely far apart. Its Just sad.
Do you understand the situation on ground?Do you know that the doctors are working?

1 Like

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by ohzee(f): 3:18pm On Dec 17, 2014
onyxo76:

This is because doctors are still working and attending to patients, no matter how skeletal the services may be. Patients still consult at very low fees in the government hospitals and simply go to private labs and pharmacies to source the rest of what they need. It is not perfect but much better than nothing.

1 Like

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 3:26pm On Dec 17, 2014
CircleOfWilis:
the union should stop working in private hospitals owned by Drs, that's when we will know they are serious with their demands...

eya , so sorry johesu ur strike won't yield a thing but a soiled reputation and disrespect from the people and from the government.

just go back to work, respect ur masters(doctors) to avoid no work! no pay! (just kidding)
You've sure got to be kidding.
If you say the strike won't yield a thing,it's got to be the height of ignorance.There will definitely be a reform in the heath sector.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by worlexy(m): 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
JOHESU has definitely lost this fight, there is money to share, oil money is dropping, politicians are after elections and some support staff of the hospital are asking for pay increase, you will be on strike till the second coming of Christ. The strike doesn't even enjoy full compliance, most state and LG workers have refused to be cajoled to join the strike simply because they know they are fighting for useless things and they are surely afraid of no-work-no-pay. The same approach Fashola used on Lagos doctors, he refused to pay them for the period they joined their federal colleagues who went on strike few months ago. JOHESU should better apply wisdom and call off the strike if not, there won't be money to buy food for Xmas. lol
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by CircleOfWilis: 3:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
thorpido:
You've sure got to be kidding.
If you say the strike won't yield a thing,it's got to be the height of ignorance.There will definitely be a reform in the heath sector.
that reform may not be in the favour of the JOHESU, I will be waiting on the sideline watching as things unfold....it may even take another dimension if a new government gets into power come 2015, the strike action is taking place @ the wrong time.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
CircleOfWilis:
that reform may not be in the favour of the JOHESU, I will be waiting on the sideline watching as things unfold....it may even take another dimension if a new government gets into power come 2015, the strike action is taking place @ the wrong time.

btw I am a nurse (bsc)
Strike actions have never been at the right time.If the reform works against JOHESU,it will further prolong the unrest in the health sector.
The right thing to do by any sensible government and those overseeing the health sector is to ensure fairness to all.
Nobody is saying the others should earn the same salary as doctors but at least ensure fairness.Doctors are the decision makers for other health workers.There will always be a problem with this arrangement.
Where I work,the hospital is practically shut down.Even doctors can't really work.No support staff.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by otswag(m): 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
thorpido:
Do you understand the situation on ground?Do you know that the doctors are working?
read through my post well. I Never said drs arent working. Was making a comparison btw d last drs strike n This current johesu strike
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by worlexy(m): 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
Nurses are the backbone of Johesu, if nurses pull out today that association is finished because the hospital can function 100% if nurses and doctors are working because an average doctor can do the work of all health workers

5 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 5:47pm On Dec 17, 2014
worlexy:
Nurses are the backbone of Johesu, if nurses pull out today that association is finished because the hospital can function 100% if nurses and doctors are working because an average doctor can do the work of all health workers
And why do nurses have to pull out?Are they getting the same deal as doctors?Are they not dissatisfied too?
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by thorpido(m): 5:51pm On Dec 17, 2014
otswag:
read through my post well. I Never said drs arent working. Was making a comparison btw d last drs strike n This current johesu strike
The reason why it is different is because the doctors are working.It affects the effect of the strike on the hospitals.

1 Like

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by hippyzuki(f): 7:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
CircleOfWilis:
the union should stop working in private hospitals owned by Drs, that's when we will know they are serious with their demands...

eya , so sorry johesu ur strike won't yield a thing but a soiled reputation and disrespect from the people and from the government.

just go back to work, respect ur masters(doctors) to avoid no work! no pay! (just kidding)
. This is officially the most stupidd comment I have ever heard!!! Pls if u don't understand the situation. Don't comment
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by CircleOfWilis: 7:47pm On Dec 17, 2014
hippyzuki:
. This is officially the most stupidd comment I have ever heard!!! Pls if u don't understand the situation. Don't comment
ok ooo madam..don't quote me again foolishhh woman

1 Like

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by hippyzuki(f): 8:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
CircleOfWilis:
ok ooo madam..don't quote me again foolishhh woman
. Lol ur comment is foolish n yes I just quoted u Wetin u fit do
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by phantom(m): 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2014
johesu is unlucky. this strike came at a very very bad time!

they should read the signs.......oil is currently at $58/barrel and falling. our i.diotic leaders are busy looking for how to accomodate their looting into the $58 to guarantee their stay in power come 2015... grin grin grin grin grin
even the agreements FG made with NMA is unlikely to be kept.
JOHESU should diplomatically call of this strike IN THEIR BEST INTEREST. they should end the strike tactfully by giving a solid reason like sympathising with nigerians over falling oil prices then give another ultimatum in the new year(preferably march/april 2015).

If they insist on being stubborn,they must remember that this govt is currently looking for money anywhere they can find it including chopping workers salaries.
the FG recently released a circular to enforce NO WORK NO PAY. at this point in timewith the situation of things economically,this govt WILL implement it.

4 Likes

Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:10am On Dec 18, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Here is the reality.

Oil prices are dropping.

Nigeria gets 90% of its revenue from oil.

Nigeria is also a dutch diseased economy.

And Nigeria has a large population.(Oil rich countries with a high standard of living have populations below 15 million....Saudi and Libya....and/or diversified economies...Norway. Russia is something of a subversion. Nigeria...with its 160million people and poor industrial capability....is a clear aversion)

So,I may be as you have described me....but it does not take a prophet to know that from next year.....savings are in order. And it may become necessary to transfer costs to the general public as part of the cost cutting measures.

Thing is, govt manages a lot of hospitals....and it is becoming expensive to look after all these hospitals, ensure low fees, and give JOHESU and the doctors their five star salaries. Something's got to give.

That's why I advocate that we get of oil and into industries.....industrial societies have the five star GDP to fund everything.....including subsidies on health care.

Health care....is expensive. I don't like my solution.....but wise ideas are not necessarily the lovely ones.

P.S---It may become necessary to increase the scope of NHIS/PHIS.
You are a brilliant man.
Are you an economist or a doctor? i will be very proud to know you are a doctor.
Re: FG, Health Workers Fail To Reach Agreement As Strike Continues by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 18, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

You are a brilliant man.
Are you an economist or a doctor? i will be very proud to know you are a doctor.

Doctor, actually.

The question of funding for health care is something that bothers me a lot....which leads to the funding issues....and as such the ''economic'' bit.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Local Herbs For Diabetes / Allowing Visitors To Carry New Babies Exposes Them To Infections — Prof Olumide / Itching Balls For 2 Years, I Mean The Testicles Sack Or The Balls Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.