Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. (17956 Views)

History Of Some Top Nigerian Universities / History Of Cultism/confraternities In Nigeria / Babcock University Increases School Fees, Now Up To N3million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Lordseyad(m): 11:04am On Dec 16, 2014
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]Thief [b]O basanjo !
Thief O angry[/size][/b]

[img]http://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7TKVx0bH1jP0x0Lm3mY-zoDm9qyOa0l64oUTDoXKsG6mFBCdT[/img]
grin

Are you really the general?

Btw- Seun, ma App isn't bringing FP topic again na
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Decryptor(m): 11:05am On Dec 16, 2014
So OP, the yardstick used in measuring Buhari as a competent leader is because HE DID NOT INCREASE FUEL PRICE?

[size=18pt]The weed you are smoking must have been harvested from a shrine in ijebu[/size]

2 Likes

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Flets: 11:05am On Dec 16, 2014
Poor analysis
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by blesszzy(m): 11:05am On Dec 16, 2014
OBj
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by LoveMEBaby(m): 11:06am On Dec 16, 2014
OrangeHokage:
and he reduced it back to N11, so don't be bias.
Wait from #3.25 t0 #15 and he reduced the price to #11. The increment in the price is still #7.75 naira now
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by olamonsor2: 11:06am On Dec 16, 2014
Like if you want our 2015 president to be BUHARI

2 Likes

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by abolyem(m): 11:06am On Dec 16, 2014
jasper7:

Pls explain how Jonathan's increment is the highest? When there is a 70k - 5naira under Shonekan's regime? Even Obj's increment is worse, he met it at 20naira and left it at 75naira. Jonathan met at 65naira and is leaving at 97naira. And somehow Jonathan is the bad guy? Nigerians, we can sign a deal with the devil himself in order to get rid of a demon. What you forget is that they are all the same. And the devil you are running to will chase that demon away and bring a thousand more

Kindly minus =N=65 from =N=140 and tell us which difference so far is up to this.
Also minus =N=65 from =N=97 and tell us which of the difference therein is higher than this

be objective boy.

1 Like

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by lekhane(m): 11:11am On Dec 16, 2014
lirusehn:

To you now yu think yu really do wanna soil GEJ buh yu ave really given me anoda reason to vote GEJ
please what's the reason cos I'm seriously searching for it
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by anonimi: 11:11am On Dec 16, 2014
This a very good price trend post.

However it does NOT tell the whole story without the

- exchange rates,
- staus of our refineries &
- crude oil price.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by king1234: 11:12am On Dec 16, 2014
IBROMARKET:
The price of oil has gone done but our pump price in Nigeria is still the same. once your raw material reduces it should reflect in your selling price. What is happening to the excess profit/exploitation.

When the price of oil goes down worldwide it means less revenue for the Nigerian govt. Since Nigeria is subsidizing gas price what that means is rather than use same amount of money it uses to subsidies fuel when gas price was high it uses less money so price remains the same hence u don't see any change at the pump.

Also if u r making less revenue it will be stupid for u to keep spending same money when ur revenue was high. Gas price will have to go down significantly and stay low long term before u see a raffle to on of that at the pump

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by mmjunior: 11:12am On Dec 16, 2014
So what is the reason? Must you follow GEJ blindly?
lirusehn:

To you now yu think yu really do wanna soil GEJ buh yu ave really given me anoda reason to vote GEJ
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by abolyem(m): 11:14am On Dec 16, 2014
king1234:
Gas price is a reflection of world's oil price. Nigeria can't be any different.

Even if we had a refinery in Nigeria that will not change significantly the price u pay at the pump as it will be stupid for a refinery owner to refine gas and sell it for cheap when he can sell at a higher price in the world market.

If u want gas price today to reflect what holds in 1960 then that is wishful thinking.

Also Nigeria has been able to sustain a stable price due to subsidy when oil price goes down money used by federal government to subsidies gas price is less. When it is high got has to budget more for subsidy.

Removing subsidy is the right step for govt to do. That removes an inefficient allocation of resources. We may have had an efficient transportation network of rail and buses if govt removes subsidy and use the money for public infrastructure.

A developed country is considered successfully if it has higher amount of its citizens using public transit to handle their daily business than use

Ogaof private cars

Oga, while u try to make sense you ignorantly refused to state the exact reason why the world price you talked about affect us. for your economic knowledge sake, it is the exchange rate that make the price changing in our own case not just world price changes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 16, 2014
abolyem:
HISTORY OF FUEL PRICE INCREASES IN
NIGERIA.

(K for kobo, N for Naira)

•Gowon - from 6k to 8.45kobo

•Murtala - from 8.45k to 9k

•Obasanjo - from 9k to 15.3k

•Shagari - from 15.3k to 20k

•Babangida - from 20k to 39.5k

•Babangida - from 39.5k to 42k

•Babangida - from 42k to 60k (Private
Vehicles)

•Baban gida - from 60k to 70k

•Shonekan - from 70k to N5 (Naira)

•Abacha - from N5 to N3.25k (Price drops)

•Abacha - from N3.25k to N15

•Abacha - from N15 to N11 (Price drops)

•Abubakar - from N11 to N25

•Abubakar - from N25 to N20 (Price drops)

•Obasanjo - from N20 to N30

•Obasanjo - from N30 to N22 (Price drops)

•Obasanjo - from N22 to N26

•Obasanjo - from N26 to N42

•Obasanjo - from N42 to N50

•Obasanjo - from N50 to N65

•Obasanjo - from N65 to N75

•Yar'Adua - from N75 to N65 (Price drops)

•Jonathan - (New year present) N141

•Jonathan - (After labor strike) N97

BUHARI and YAR'ADUA did not increase
prices. In fact, YARADUA reduced the pump
price from N75 to N65. By the grace of God, Buhari
will WIN.
Say Amen

Ah yes, in the good old days petrol cost 9K. (A loaf of bread cost about that amount.).

Consider also that the purchasing power of the naira has fallen too. In 1978....fuel cost 15.3k. Two loaves of bread cost N1. Now, fuel costs N97, while two loaves of bread cost N300 and over(depending on the maker).

The reality is that inflation, driven by our dependence on oil and our resulting Dutch diseased economy leads to a fall in the value of the naira....and thus a rise in fuel prices.

Now, world oil prices are hovering around $60. Saudi and the US are busy playing a game of chicken....to see who will force the other to go broke. Many new oil fields are comming on stream, even in Africa. All these means oil prices go down..

And with low oil prices....we have less money in the treasury....due to the amounts being spent to shore up the naira.(I feel like having some dollars right now....).

Look at the above list. Between 1980-93...fuel price went up from 15K to N5. That represents a depreciation in the value of the naira as much as it represents an increase in fuel price.

And all because of our dependence on imports....which means less forex to boost the naira....and less money in the treasury.

If you want enough cash for subsidies galore, as well as other welfare things and a strong Naira....you need the large GDP which can only be produced by INDUSTRIES.

Time to end our oil sucker behaviour. Time to end the Dutch diseased economy of Nigeria.

Oil is a curse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Emeka71(m): 11:15am On Dec 16, 2014
holatin:
memory lane.
Thank you for posting this.

May you and you family not be stricken by cluelessness.

And when I talk that yar adua 5 min is better than Jonathan 6 month DEM GO ABUSE ME.

And if I also say BUHARI is the right choice and saviour to the present weeping Nigeria, Them go yab me.

Need to ask you some question.

Do you really love this country ?
Why don't you want a change in this country ?

Wount talk much or dem go start calling me APC part I some thing something.

Vote for buhari, d only upright man that can clean the mess the present government created for the past 6 years.

Buhari for change
Buhari for better Nigeria
Buhari for President.
Sincerely Nigeria needs Buhari at this time.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 16, 2014
Godd bless Buhari no fuel price increase

God bless Yara dua only price drop

God bless Abacha for using his net N6 price increase to fund the PTF to improve infrastructure.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by omololu2020(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2014
condralbede:
Why is it that obj didn't put this one on his watch...anyway obj you are on my watchgrin •Shonekan regime sure pass towards our oil sector cool
I don't fink u read it well,in shonekan government d price rose from 70kobo to 5naira.back den 100kobo equals 1naira
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by lirusehn(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2014
lekhane:
please what's the reason cos I'm seriously searching for it

Check yur Wallet
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by jasper7(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2014
abolyem:

Kindly minus =N=65 from =N=140 and tell us which difference so far is up to this.
Also minus =N=65 from =N=97 and tell us which of the difference therein is higher than this

be objective boy.
You are funny.... have you heard of devaluation of currency? A book worth 5naira as at 1980 is worth well over 5000naira now. Before you make ridiculous post, try and be adviced. Naira was not always as worthless as it is now. Except you are counting figures alone of which then you need to go back and attend economics classes. Speak wisely "boy". Lol. Ignorance is just too funny

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by subzero212(m): 11:20am On Dec 16, 2014
Passing by...

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by erico2k2(m): 11:20am On Dec 16, 2014
mastercee:
Keep resting in peace Alhaji Umar Musa Yar'adua

As for Buhari, no wonder he is called the people's general. May God bless you abundantly

#SaiBuhari

Read the post again, see where the OP listed GMB then come bck
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by king1234: 11:22am On Dec 16, 2014
abolyem:

Oga, while u try to make sense you ignorantly refused to state the exact reason why the world price you talked about affect us. for your economic knowledge sake, it is the exchange rate that make the price changing in our own case not just world price changes.

Yes exchange rate plays a role. However supply and demand should determine the price paid at the pump. When oil is in high demand worldwide prices go up but that is not reflected in the pump in Nigeria cos govt has artificially set a price it wants citizens to pay and to achieve that price it subsidies what people pay. So for each 100 naira u pay at the pump the govt contributes so gar price stays at a certain price.

To me removing subsidy should be the long term goal using that subsidy to fund other means of efficient means of transportation should be the goal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by erico2k2(m): 11:24am On Dec 16, 2014
jasper7:

You are funny.... have you heard of devaluation of currency? A book worth 5naira as at 1980 is worth well over 5000naira now. Before you make ridiculous post, try and be adviced. Naira was not always as worthless as it is now. Except you are counting figures alone of which then you need to go back and attend economics classes. Speak wisely "boy". Lol. Ignorance is just too funny
Guy I think its you who is getting it wrong, Naira had more value back the days so any increment would have devastating effect,U should measure increment in % rather than the money value.So that guy was right,all that being said an Increment of %300 is worse than an increment of %100 at any time now or in the future.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by marymary2: 11:27am On Dec 16, 2014
lirusehn:

You must be insane
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by seedorfg(m): 11:29am On Dec 16, 2014
Oponu, ode of the highiest order =Brightology2
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by sorextee(m): 11:30am On Dec 16, 2014
None o. Price of toothpick has increased. Gone are the days wen they were about 4fishes in a sardine can. But it has reduced to 2(in some). They don't put diced liver in fried rice anymore.. value of commodities has dropped. May God help us all..
paleo:
Hmmmm. This is Nigeria. Since I was born in the 80's, Nothing has product has ever gotten to it's original price after there is an increase in price.
Please Nairalander, I ask a serious question. Is there any product you remember going back to its original price after a slight increase. e.g, Cab fare, Fuel Hike, Basic Commodities. I need reply please.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by king1234: 11:30am On Dec 16, 2014
Y
bushdoc9919:

Ah yes, in the good old days petrol cost 9K. (A loaf of bread cost about that amount.).

Consider also that the purchasing power of the naira has fallen too. In 1978....fuel cost 15.3k. Two loaves of bread cost N1. Now, fuel costs N97, while two loaves of bread cost N300 and over(depending on the maker).

The reality is that inflation, driven by our dependence on oil and our resulting Dutch diseased economy leads to a fall in the value of the naira....and thus a rise in fuel prices.

Now, world oil prices are hovering around $60. Saudi and the US are busy playing a game of chicken....to see who will force the other to go broke. Many new oil fields are comming on stream, even in Africa. All these means oil prices go down..

And with low oil prices....we have less money in the treasury....due to the amounts being spent to shore up the naira.(I feel like having some dollars right now....).

Look at the above list. Between 1980-93...fuel price went up from 15K to N5. That represents a depreciation in the value of the naira as much as it represents an increase in fuel price.

And all because of our dependence on imports....which means less forex to boost the naira....and less money in the treasury.

If you want enough cash for subsidies galore, as well as other welfare things and a strong Naira....you need the large GDP which can only be produced by INDUSTRIES.

Time to end our oil sucker behaviour. Time to end the Dutch diseased economy of Nigeria.

Oil is a curse.

Nice post.

We should remove subsidy and most important divisify the economy. 70-75% dependence on one source of income is terrible for any economy that is able to plan talk less of Nigeria that can't plan
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by erico2k2(m): 11:31am On Dec 16, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Oil is a curse.
With these trend my friend Saudi would be worse than Nigeria if it continues for the next 10 years.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by Larow(m): 11:31am On Dec 16, 2014
lirusehn:

YES! They don't know that the suffering we are suffering under GEJ isn't an issue for us! Sufferhead don master our body, GEJ till 2019. We igbos are behind u. Suffering has being a part of us since ages past! Even though u practically did nothing in our region to deserve our support, we still endorse u!!!!
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by abolyem(m): 11:32am On Dec 16, 2014
jasper7:

With even the point you made above, can you compare them based on the indices u stated and tell who is better btw GMB and GEJ. Did the Naira fall againt Dollar during GMB regime? tell us at what rate GEJ met Dollar and what is it now. then you will know the reason why price is increasing in his tenure. And don't forget, they have rumored, pump price will still increase in June if they are still there. That shows u present Govt doesn't have any solution to stabilize Naira and have good effect on our pump price.

Compare GMB government with that of GEJ head to head in Performance, i believe you will change ur mind if u are sincere with Nigeria.
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by sorextee(m): 11:33am On Dec 16, 2014
Fuel price contribute a huge part, to the micro and macro economic stability of a nation..
pDude:
Wtf are you Nigerians always complaining about fuel prices all the time?
Re: History Of Fuel Price Increases In Nigeria. by erico2k2(m): 11:34am On Dec 16, 2014
LoveMEBaby:
Pls think and think before you talk......you want to compare the rate at which our currency is at that time OR Didn't you see this "•Abacha - from N3.25k to N15"
what do u xpect frm people who got F9 in Maths

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OAU Pre Degree 2017/2018 Admission Thread / ASUU: Buhari Will Intervene Soon, Gbajabiamila Appeals For Calm / English Name For This Rodents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.