Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,959 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

#bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota (19975 Views)

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? / Nanny Caught On Camera Slapping A 5-month-old Girl / Post A Pictures Of Shady Maids, Nanny And Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

#bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Sayoh: 1:00pm On Dec 16, 2014
This post is not to launch a smear campaign on the agency, but just to contribute my quota in warning other mothers out there.

So I was introduced to the agency by a family member, with the hope that the agency would have properly trained nannies and proper vetting would be done on the nannies. I chose to go with an agency that claims to train and properly vet their nannies even to the extent of ensuring the nannies provide guarantors, since all those small girls from upcountry have plenty wahala; and a motherly nanny who has had children is always a best fit anyday.

We kuku registered with the agency (N15,000) and were told it would take 2weeks to get prospects that i would interview.

The first red flag should have been the number of times i had to call the "madam" of the agency before she finally picked. I filled the form at the agency and indicated that i wanted a nanny that has kids, would be a live out nanny and is between 30 and 40yrs old. The next flag was also the delay in getting prospects (after i had paid the registration fee o), it took more than 4 weeks and several frustrating calls before I was told to come to their office at Okota to meet with the prospects.

Okay nau, I got there and had to wait another hour before the madam showed up, claiming there was traffic and that they don't normally open on saturday...blah blah. Long story short, no nanny was present, i only looked through their profiles and was asked to pick one. They said their staff would bring the nanny to my house before she officially resumes work- didn't happen. She eventually gave the nanny my number and asked her to call me, after another week had almost elapsed and several more calls.

Resumption day, the nanny didn't show, and when i called the agency and was given the nanny's number, to direct her to my house (hmmmmn)! I called and the nanny and she says "my husband say make i no work this month", and i'm like ahn ahn! How come the agency sent you to me? And she explains that she need the month off to attend to her sickness...ehn! Sickness ke....turns out she was receiving hormonal treatment in order to conceive. Not a problem but I thought the agncy would have found out about this during the screening right?

Geun geun! i called the agency and told them what happened and they apologised and said they had no clue she was going to back out like that.

Replacement nanny was meant to resume the next week, Monday morning-she no show. Same cycle of calling the nanny and she claimed she needed to rest so she would resume the next day. I took the nanny for medical screening that same day she resumed and tests confirmed she was pregnant!
Ok, not a problem-afterall she was married with 5 kids and willing to work, but the agency should have told me right? Same day she starts complaining about the agency and how they take almost half of the money paid by the employers, leaving the nanny with peanuts. She also mentioned that the agency did not conduct any tests on her and just sent her to me....hmmm red flag 3 abi is it 4?

After one month, she suddenly has to go and visit her sick mother on a monday morning and doesn't know when she would be back and said i should call the agency. I did call and was told i would get another replacement. This time the replacement took almost 4 weeks to arrive and this was after several calls and as madam hardly picks her phone, you can only imagine my frustration.

Final straw, they sent a much older woman who claimed to be 48, I had interviewed her and she seemed ok and then i ran my medical check after she resumed as she din't come with her test results as the agency had promised. Lo and behold, the 15k collecting agency sent me someone who had HIV to be my baby's nanny. Worst part is the madam didn't show any remorse for sending a nanny to a client without running tests. The madam claimed "the woman was elderly, so she couldn't have known she had HIV and that it could happen to anyone" shocked

As I type this caveat, the agency has not gotten back to me on an amicable settlement on the matter. I think from all the story, the agency is one to be avoided as the professional skills for dealing with such a sensitive service seem to be non existent. I have fashied my 15k registration, but i thought to let people know one of the agencies out there that i wouldn't recommend, from my experience. They will just collect your money and never provide the service paid for with the care and dilligence expected.

48 Likes 16 Shares

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by hayoakins(m): 1:00pm On Dec 16, 2014
Wow shocked

Thanks for sharing.

Why didn't you serve/sue them

1 Like

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 16, 2014
Wow thanks for sharing. The sooner we speak and write out against bad service providers the better Nigeria will get.

Send this story to blogs too. Let Nigerians not enter their one chance

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by kendraloops(f): 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2014
Terrible!! You're quite calm about the whole thing o, eso the HIV part. Collect your balance and use whatever powers you have to ensure that place is closed please.

Imagine her infecting your family, a pure case of 'olowo fowo ra iku'

3 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by veave(f): 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2014
shocked shocked shocked ewooooooooooooo! shocked shocked shocked

Thank God oh. Imagine you didn't run tests, then you came back one day to find her breast feeding your omalicha nwa. God forbid!

1 Like

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Sayoh: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2014
Seriously thanking God i didn't do ijebu and just ran the tests regardless...i have turned green, blue, black, red! Still figuring how I can get the agency to not hurt others, hence this post.

2 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by hayoakins(m): 10:02am On Dec 22, 2014
As a fallout of the recent happenings, I think it would be nice to educate and save baby mamas by putting this on the frontpage.

CC: RoyalRoy, Tgirl4real, Seun

2 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by bluedaze(f): 10:44am On Dec 22, 2014
Hmmmm. Story that touches.
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by austine4real(m): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
Sayoh:
Seriously thanking God i didn't do ijebu and just ran the tests regardless...i have turned green, blue, black, red! Still figuring how I can get the agency to not hurt others, hence this post.
wot type of work do u do?
If na office work u can place ur baby unda d table?
U baby is ur future dnt take risk.

1 Like

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by pickabeau1: 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2014
Create a post here
http://www.reportam.com.ng
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Pennywise(m): 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
The madam must have stolen the business idea from somewhere as a possible money spinner. Like the typical lazy Nigerian, she is not prepared to commit the energy, time and resourcefulness required.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by ShirelleBaby: 1:18pm On Dec 22, 2014
austine4real:

wot type of work do u do?
If na office work u can place ur baby unda d table?
U baby is ur future dnt take risk.

Hilarious-
Austine is that what u do?
Or did u see someone doing that?
Or you are just joking?

1 Like

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by onegig(m): 3:39pm On Dec 22, 2014
This is surreal.

I keep hearing this nanny issues daily.

There seems to be no end in sight to the problem.

First most are not qualified to work and are just there to pass the time because of the difficulties they are facing.

Also most families looking for nannies aren't ready to pay good money. They look down on these house helps thus scaring away any potential and genuine worker who may want to take that route. Its more like a master -slave relationship and I can't imagine anyone who would take up such a career path except something or circumstances pushed them into it.

Best bet is to maybe embrace technology(we now have dishwasher, washing machines and whatever to lessen the work burden and most are not that expensive nowadays ) and maybe use creches instead while away at work. Some creches still close by 7pm and they take even 8 month old kids.

Apart from that, I guess our ladies need to go ask our mothers how they juggled work and the family. I can't recall us having a nanny while growing up and mum still worked. Not saying raising kids is easy or ladies of nowadays are lazy, but our mothers must have had secrets given the fact that most used to even have more births(5,6 or even 8 ) then than the average mothers of nowadays do have and still were able to keep their sanity without househelps.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by austine4real(m): 3:54pm On Dec 22, 2014
ShirelleBaby:

Hilarious-
Austine is that what u do?
Or did u see someone doing that?
Or you are just joking?
i knw som1 da dd it.
Am nt marid yet&if ur boss is an undastndin 1 u'l b allow
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by ShirelleBaby: 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
austine4real:

i knw som1 da dd it.
Am nt marid yet&if ur boss is an undastndin 1 u'l b allow

Okay

Pls can u xplain the image on ur profile?
I am curious kus I can't figure out where the corn is--i see a mouth but no head.

1 Like

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 23, 2014
This is really an eye opener.thank God you ran those tests if not what would have been the outcome.God save us all
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by corisande: 12:36am On Dec 23, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by victorazy(m): 11:09am On Dec 23, 2014
Mod FP plz
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Sayoh: 11:32am On Dec 23, 2014
Yeah, a real eye opener o.
Spoke with the agency about refunding my money jeje or we go to court and she said I should go ahead. So I bet that is the next step since she has no grasp on the gravity of her negligence.

2 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Bibol(f): 12:30pm On Dec 23, 2014
This should be on front page. Thanks for educating the public ma'am
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 23, 2014
ShirelleBaby:

Okay

Pls can u xplain the image on ur profile?
I am curious kus I can't figure out where the corn is--i see a mouth but no head.
the corns are in the wide pusi
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by jpphilips(m): 10:20am On Dec 25, 2014
Sayoh:
This post is not to launch a smear campaign on the agency, but just to contribute my quota in warning other mothers out there.

So I was introduced to the agency by a family member, with the hope that the agency would have properly trained nannies and proper vetting would be done on the nannies. I chose to go with an agency that claims to train and properly vet their nannies even to the extent of ensuring the nannies provide guarantors, since all those small girls from upcountry have plenty wahala; and a motherly nanny who has had children is always a best fit anyday.

We kuku registered with the agency (N15,000) and were told it would take 2weeks to get prospects that i would interview. The first red flag should have been the number of times i had to call the "madam" of the agency before she finally picked. I filled the form at the agency and indicated that i wanted a nanny that has kids, would be a live out nanny and is between 30 and 40yrs old. The next flag was also the delay in getting prospects (after i had paid the registration fee o), it took more than 4 weeks and several frustrating calls before I was told to come to their office at Okota to meet with the prospects.

Okay nau, I got there and had to wait another hour before the madam showed up, claiming there was traffic and that they don't normally open on saturday...blah blah. Long story short, no nanny was present, i only looked through their profiles and was asked to pick one. They said their staff would bring the nanny to my house before she officially resumes work- didn't happen. She eventually gave the nanny my number and asked her to call me, after another week had almost elapsed and several more calls.

Resumption day, the nanny didn't show, and when i called the agency and was given the nanny's number, to direct her to my house (hmmmmn)! I called and the nanny and she says "my husband say make i no work this month", and i'm like ahn ahn! How come the agency sent you to me? And she explains that she need the month off to attend to her sickness...ehn! Sickness ke....turns out she was receiving hormonal treatment in order to conceive. Not a problem but I thought the agncy would have found out about this during the screening right?

Geun geun! i called the agency and told them what happened and they apologised and said they had no clue she was going to back out like that.
Replacement nanny was meant to resume the next week, Monday morning-she no show. Same cycle of calling the nanny and she claimed she needed to rest so she would resume the next day. I took the nanny for medical screening that same day she resumed and tests confirmed she was pregnant!
Ok, not a problem-afterall she was married with 5 kids and willing to work, but the agency should have told me right? Same day she starts complaining about the agency and how they take almost half of the money paid by the employers, leaving the nanny with peanuts. She also mentioned that the agency did not conduct any tests on her and just sent her to me....hmmm red flag 3 abi is it 4?

After one month, she suddenly has to go and visit her sick mother on a monday morning and doesn't know when she would be back and said i should call the agency. I did call and was told i would get another replacement. This time the replacement took almost 4 weeks to arrive and this was after several calls and as madam hardly picks her phone, you can only imagine my frustration.

Final straw, they sent a much older woman who claimed to be 48, I had interviewed her and she seemed ok and then i ran my medical check after she resumed as she din't come with her test results as the agency had promised. Lo and behold, the 15k collecting agency sent me someone who had HIV to be my baby's nanny. Worst part is the madam didn't show any remorse for sending a nanny to a client without running tests. The madam claimed "the woman was elderly, so she couldn't have known she had HIV and that it could happen to anyone" shocked

As I type this caveat, the agency has not gotten back to me on an amicable settlement on the matter. I think from all the story, the agency is one to be avoided as the professional skills for dealing with such a sensitive service seem to be non existent. I have fashied my 15k registration, but i thought to let people know one of the agencies out there that i wouldn't recommend, from my experience. They will just collect your money and never provide the service paid for with the care and dilligence expected.

Turning down a nanny because of HIV is clueless, are you by any chance related to Goodluck?
You can as well bag a jail term for discriminating against PLWHA.

You are actually going to court to report yourself, by the way, how much will pay the lawyer representing you? 10k?
Women brain sef

6 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by passionate88: 11:32am On Dec 25, 2014
angry What's the name of the agency and which state is it in?.

3 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 25, 2014
jpphilips:

Turning down a nanny because of HIV is clueless, are you by any chance related to Goodluck?
You can as well bag a jail term for discriminating against PLWHA.

You are actually going to court to report yourself, by the way, how much will pay the lawyer representing you? 10k?
Women brain sef
undecided undecided undecided shocked shocked shocked

Oga, it's her home hence her right to choice. .. if you wish to bring in an HIV patient or even ebola patient into your home, then do so, nobody will question you....

20 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by seangy4konji: 11:41am On Dec 25, 2014
I deh come.

Oh boy if na naija I born my pikin. Madam no get any other job than to take care of dat baby ooo maybe with my grand mama or family.it no pass dat one
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 25, 2014
Pennywise:
The madam must have stolen the business idea from somewhere as a possible money spinner. Like the typical lazy Nigerian, she is not prepared to commit the energy, time and resourcefulness required.

story of nigerians everywhere - everything is hustle - never any passion , just about making big money
Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by badex11: 11:49am On Dec 25, 2014
J

3 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by tranxo(m): 11:55am On Dec 25, 2014
Sayoh:

We kuku registered with the agency (N15,000) and were told it would take 2weeks to get prospects that i would interview.

The first red flag should have been the number of times i had to call the "madam" of the agency before she finally picked. I filled the form at the agency and indicated that i wanted a nanny that has kids, would be a live out nanny and is between 30 and 40yrs old. The next flag was also the delay in getting prospects (after i had paid the registration fee o), it took more than 4 weeks and several frustrating calls before I was told to come to their office at Okota to meet with the prospects.

What's the use of this post if you can't tell us the name and address of the agency?

9 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by Belexy(m): 11:57am On Dec 25, 2014
Sayoh:

We kuku registered with the agency (N15,000) and were told it would take 2weeks to get prospects that i would interview......

...... They will just collect your money and never provide the service paid for with the care and dilligence expected.

You should name the agency and where its located if u really want to help people. With this thread u av only told a 'story' and alot of people can still fall into the trap of this so-called nanny agency bcoz dey dnt even knw which one it is.

3 Likes

Re: #bad Nannies# My Experience With St. Catherine's Nanny And Maid Services, Okota by eleko1: 12:04pm On Dec 25, 2014
embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advice To All The Single Ladies In The House / thank you / How Do You Handle A Promiscuous Sister?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.