Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue (1755 Views)

Photos-Official Car Of The Nigerian President / Will Nigerian Customs Sieze An American Malibu 1967 Classic Car If Imported? / How Many Days Does It Take To Clear A Car ( Nigerian Customs ) ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Immune1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2014
This Austin Mini Cooper worth $20,000 was publicly crushed as a warning to illegal importers.Officials from the US Department of Homeland Security confiscated this Mini which has not been tested under US emissions and crash requirements. It was seized from the owners, who were awaiting delivery .

Back here in Nigeria, our ailing automotive industry needs more aggressive actions like this to combat smuggling of old vehicles which have been prohibited by Nigerian laws. In addition dissuading Nigerian automobile importers from this foul practice, the government needs to be firm in combating smuggling of vehicles which so far has contributed in suffocating the new automotive policy which was introduced by the Federal government in 2013.

Asides, raising more revenue for the Nigerian Customs and NAC(National Automotive council), a more stringent prohibition of smuggling can help truly energize our automotive industry which will contribute in making our economy more robust, hence creating more avenues for employment.

But cap up my suggestion, i will like to ask; who clears accident vehicles and allows them leave Nigerian ports?

Follow link to watch video: http://autobaseafrica.com/the-nigerian-custom-service-should-take-a-cue/

Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by abatically(m): 7:37pm On Dec 16, 2014
This is a very good development, but is Nigeria really ripe for this? The answer is NO and I have my reasons.

1. The US automotive industry has come a long way and it is one of the biggest automotive industry in the world. They started producing cars from the early 1920s, Nigeria just started in 2013 and it is still in its infancy. It is easy to buy a $1,000 used car in the USA with sound engine, good luck finding a used Nigeria made car here.

2. The USA is an advanced country with everything already planned our for its citizens. They don't even pay outright for a car, they have functioning loan system and everybody can afford a car loan so far u have a job. Back here in Nigeria what is the minimum wage again? You want a car in Nigeria u have to cough out millions just to buy a car that u like. This means only the rich can afford a car while the poor will suffer. What about students? In the states a student can buy a used car for as low as $1,000 because the cars are made in the US hence no clearing and shipping fees. The only way to help Nigerian citizens is the importation of used cars that are affordable while our automotive industry grows (trust me it is going to take a really long time to get there ).

3. The USA have good roads and engineers, hence a car used for 15 years in the states is equivalent to a 2 years used naija car. So buying a naija used made in Nigeria car for now is out of the equation. Have u seen one of those innoson cars that have been used for 1+ year? Trust me everything falls apart from door handle to the upholstry. They can't stand the test of time... At least for now.

Let's say I'm a student or a small business owner and need a car to run my business. Do I have to cough out 1.2 million naira to buy a Hyundai i10 or KIA picanto or any of the newly made innoson sedans (that are not even available yet)? Those cars can't even carry 5 passengers with ease and yet I have to pay over 1 million naira. What if I need a truck for my farm business? Do I need to pay millions just to get one? What if I need a car for taxi? With 500,000 naira or less I can get a used car that will serve me more than anything made or assembled in Nigeria (for now ).

We don't have functional regulatory laws on automobiles, no emmision test. having emmision test is a waste of time anyway because it will be a waste of time. I mean if we perform emmision test on vehicles, are we also going to perform emmision test on generators? Because every house has at least one power generating set, so the air is already polluted. The government needs to fix all these things before talking about crushing imported cars that don't meet the standard. They need to fix the power sector so people won't need to buy generators, they need to fix the roads so Nigerian made cars can stand the test of time.

All these things will take years and by then the automotive industry would have grown . by then people with low income can afford to buy a used made in Nigeria car. Americans have no reason to import cars into their country because they have a very functional automotive industry, DO WE HAVE A FUNCTIONAL AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by colossus2: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2014
^ ^ ^ ^
Wow smiley
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Immune1(m): 9:24pm On Dec 16, 2014
abatically:
This is a very good development, but is Nigeria really ripe for this? The answer is NO and I have my reasons.

1. The US automotive industry has come a long way and it is one of the biggest automotive industry in the world. They started producing cars from the early 1920s, Nigeria just started in 2013 and it is still in its infancy. It is easy to buy a $1,000 used car in the USA with sound engine, good luck finding a used Nigeria made car here.

2. The USA is an advanced country with everything already planned our for its citizens. They don't even pay outright for a car, they have functioning loan system and everybody can afford a car loan so far u have a job. Back here in Nigeria what is the minimum wage again? You want a car in Nigeria u have to cough out millions just to buy a car that u like. This means only the rich can afford a car while the poor will suffer. What about students? In the states a student can buy a used car for as low as $1,000 because the cars are made in the US hence no clearing and shipping fees. The only way to help Nigerian citizens is the importation of used cars that are affordable while our automotive industry grows (trust me it is going to take a really long time to get there ).

3. The USA have good roads and engineers, hence a car used for 15 years in the states is equivalent to a 2 years used naija car. So buying a naija used made in Nigeria car for now is out of the equation. Have u seen one of those innoson cars that have been used for 1+ year? Trust me everything falls apart from door handle to the upholstry. They can't stand the test of time... At least for now.

Let's say I'm a student or a small business owner and need a car to run my business. Do I have to cough out 1.2 million naira to buy a Hyundai i10 or KIA picanto or any of the newly made innoson sedans (that are not even available yet)? Those cars can't even carry 5 passengers with ease and yet I have to pay over 1 million naira. What if I need a truck for my farm business? Do I need to pay millions just to get one? What if I need a car for taxi? With 500,000 naira or less I can get a used car that will serve me more than anything made or assembled in Nigeria (for now ).

We don't have functional regulatory laws on automobiles, no emmision test. having emmision test is a waste of time anyway because it will be a waste of time. I mean if we perform emmision test on vehicles, are we also going to perform emmision test on generators? Because every house has at least one power generating set, so the air is already polluted. The government needs to fix all these things before talking about crushing imported cars that don't meet the standard. They need to fix the power sector so people won't need to buy generators, they need to fix the roads so Nigerian made cars can stand the test of time.

All these things will take years and by then the automotive industry would have grown . by then people with low income can afford to buy a used made in Nigeria car. Americans have no reason to import cars into their country because they have a very functional automotive industry, DO WE HAVE A FUNCTIONAL AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA?

Well said,most of what you said is very true but the plain fact here is that its only Nigerians that will develop the Nigerian automotive industry!It wont be easy but significant steps can be made,one of which is strongly detering smuggling across our borders.A few benefits that follow are better data collation and more revenue for both Customs and Nac as stated.

You spoke about us not being mature for this,but i think we are because we have to reduce the volumes of scrap that passes through our borders into Nigeria. Talking about Nigerians having access to funding and long term vehicle financing,government has plans in place to support this type of financing through special low interest rates which will be possible through NAC equity stake to make this possible in affiliation with a few known African banks,especially a bank in South Africa. So NAc is hoping to raise funds through this higher tarrif regimes;the morr reason smuggling must be curbed.

Our automotive industry began in the 70's andbwe allowed it languish,but thank God the current FG has made reviving the industry one of their priorities.

PERSONALLY,i wish the new automotive policy was focused on commercial vehicles and aftermarket products,but since the government of the day has chosen this path, i feel we should lend our support as much as we can.
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by abatically(m): 9:47pm On Dec 16, 2014
Immune1:

Well said,most of what you said is very true but the plain fact here is that its only Nigerians that will develop the Nigerian automotive industry!It wont be easy but significant steps can be made,one of which is strongly detering smuggling across our borders.A few benefits that follow are better data collation and more revenue for both Customs and Nac as stated.

You spoke about us not being mature for this,but i think we are because we have to reduce the volumes of scrap that passes through our borders into Nigeria. Talking about Nigerians having access to funding and long term vehicle financing,government has plans in place to support this type of financing through special low interest rates which will be possible through NAC equity stake to make this possible in affiliation with a few known African banks,especially a bank in South Africa. So NAc is hoping to raise funds through this higher tarrif regimes;the morr reason smuggling must be curbed.

Our automotive industry began in the 70's andbwe allowed it languish,but thank God the current FG has made reviving the industry one of their priorities.

PERSONALLY,i wish the new automotive policy was focused on commercial vehicles and aftermarket products,but since the government of the day has chosen this path, i feel we should lend our support as much as we can.

Well said. I am not against made in Nigeria cars, neither am I in support of smuggling. I think the government already has a policy to prevent cars older than 15 years into the country which is a good development. I don't think importing accident cars into the country is that bad like u put it. As long as the chasis is not affected. Most of the accident cars still have very good powertrain. Maybe Government should create a body that examines and screen accident cars.

Let me ask u, an imported accident 2005 VW Passat with damaged fender, broken headlight and door vs baba Kafaya's 1982 Datsun kabukabu that was bought brand new in 1982.. which one will be safer on the road?
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Immune1(m): 9:16am On Dec 17, 2014
abatically:

Well said. I am not against made in Nigeria cars, neither am I in support of smuggling. I think the government already has a policy to prevent cars older than 15 years into the country which is a good development. I don't think importing accident cars into the country is that bad like u put it. As long as the chasis is not affected. Most of the accident cars still have very good powertrain. Maybe Government should create a body that examines and screen accident cars.

Let me ask u, an imported accident 2005 VW Passat with damaged fender, broken headlight and door vs baba Kafaya's 1982 Datsun kabukabu that was bought brand new in 1982.. which one will be safer on the road?

Salvage vehicles are called 'salvage' vehicles for a reason and are sold off at cheaper rates probably for the same reason. I may not exactly choose the 1982 Datsun but i wont go for the 2005 Passat either. From what i know about German cars, the obvious problem may be a broken light or door but trust German cars with all the automation, you may never know he bigger problem which will crop up 3months into the vehicle's use.

Accident vehicles are a TOTAL NO - NO.........coupled with the angle of deceit by some car dealers who mask these accident vehicles and sell them off as used cars with a clean title, i can never support the importation of accident vehicles. The only good importation of these type of vehicles has brought about in Nigeria is the positive changes i have witnessed in the vehicle spraying sub-set of our automotive service industry, as these guys have really raised standards and quality of output at very reasonable rates.

Personally i belong to the school of thought that will rather drive a used Mercedes Benz than driving a brand new Innoson; that's just me.
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 18, 2014
Here's a more balanced source http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/12/feds-crush-illegally-imported-car-to-send-message/?intcmp=features

Here's the specific reason why the car was crushed ""Since the vehicle's VIN was intentionally manipulated, destruction of the vehicle is our only recourse," Hayward says in the nj.com report. "We do not take such action lightly.""

So we shouldn't start celebrating the crush of this innocent and absolutely "safer" vehicle and this has absolutely nothing to do with the Nierian customs and makes a very bad comparison.

A 1967 Austin Mini is allowed to be imported into the US and especially California. It is a rather unsafe vehicle. It has single brake line, no safe bars in the doors, no airbags, no abs, etc

A 2000 Austin Mini on the other hand is a very safe car but it is not allowed to be imported into the USA. It is safe because it is a modern assembly with modern weldings, has airbags, ABS, safety bars in the doors and roof, etc

So what some people do is take the VIN from a condemned 1960s Mini and then slap it on a 2000 Mini to instantly turn the 2000 into a 1967.

This is a blatant criminal act under US laws BUT does it make the car less safe?

My 1967 Austin Mini Moke pictured below is completely legal, even on the freeway and was my daily driver in Los Angeles and Dallas for many years until I sold it. So tell me is my Moke more safer than this unfortunately crushed car?

Let's not celebrate a government agency that destroyed a perfectly good car just to do a show of force. The act is criminal, at least to us in the LBC (Little British Cars) community.

Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Immune1(m): 9:08am On Dec 18, 2014
CityNG:
Here's a more balanced source http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/12/feds-crush-illegally-imported-car-to-send-message/?intcmp=features

Here's the specific reason why the car was crushed ""Since the vehicle's VIN was intentionally manipulated, destruction of the vehicle is our only recourse," Hayward says in the nj.com report. "We do not take such action lightly.""

So we shouldn't start celebrating the crush of this innocent and absolutely "safer" vehicle and this has absolutely nothing to do with the Nierian customs and makes a very bad comparison.

A 1967 Austin Mini is allowed to be imported into the US and especially California. It is a rather unsafe vehicle. It has single brake line, no safe bars in the doors, no airbags, no abs, etc

A 2000 Austin Mini on the other hand is a very safe car but it is not allowed to be imported into the USA. It is safe because it is a modern assembly with modern weldings, has airbags, ABS, safety bars in the doors and roof, etc

So what some people do is take the VIN from a condemned 1960s Mini and then slap it on a 2000 Mini to instantly turn the 2000 into a 1967.

This is a blatant criminal act under US laws BUT does it make the car less safe?

My 1967 Austin Mini Moke pictured below is completely legal, even on the freeway and was my daily driver in Los Angeles and Dallas for many years until I sold it. So tell me is my Moke more safer than this unfortunately crushed car?

Let's not celebrate a government agency that destroyed a perfectly good car just to do a show of force. The act is criminal, at least to us in the LBC (Little British Cars) community.

I wasn't suggesting that our Customs service here in Nigeria starts destroying cars for the exact same reasons. If you know much about the automotive industry here, you will be appalled by the level of decadence and how Nigeria has become 'scrapville' for salvage/very old vehicles. If we can't control the age of vehicles that come into Nigeria, how will we kick-start automobile recycling-which is a key component of any sustainable industry? Currently this doesn't seem viable because the cost of scrap cars in Nigeria is really high and because there are no stringent regulations/enforcement to topple this imbalance.

All i am clamouring for here is a firm and concerted effort to solve one problem we have in this Nigerian Automotive industry which is SMUGGLING. I am very sure our Customs service can burrow a leaf.
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 19, 2014
Immune1:

I wasn't suggesting that our Customs service here in Nigeria starts destroying cars for the exact same reasons. If you know much about the automotive industry here, you will be appalled by the level of decadence and how Nigeria has become 'scrapville' for salvage/very old vehicles. If we can't control the age of vehicles that come into Nigeria, how will we kick-start automobile recycling-which is a key component of any sustainable industry? Currently this doesn't seem viable because the cost of scrap cars in Nigeria is really high and because there are no stringent regulations/enforcement to topple this imbalance.

All i am clamouring for here is a firm and concerted effort to solve one problem we have in this Nigerian Automotive industry which is SMUGGLING. I am very sure our Customs service can burrow a leaf.

I hold a different position than you do, with due respect.

There are many still useful vehicles overseas that can be imported into Nigeria. Not all "toks" are condemned derelicts and unsafe contraptions. The issue here is that our automotive dealers, some of them, choose to bring a lot of the less than stellar vehicles into Nigeria, perhaps this is to meet a stingy price point as set by Nigerian consumers. I've advertised a 2009 VW Jetta now for months with no interest. It's not because the car is not a good or well priced (in my opinion) but it's because it's competing at less than stellar vehicles that are priced at ridiculous price points.

I still think that you used the wrong example in this specific Austin Mini Cooper to make your point. The only error in this car is that the VIN was tampered with. It's to because it's not safe.

Should the Nigerian Customs be destroying cars that are impounded like the idiotic Americans? Absolutely not.

Instead they should sell it at a great discount to junk yards so that the parts can be harvested and used in other cars. Or offer the owner an opportunity to sell it to another country (Cameroon or Cotonue) or licensed for off road use only.

To counter smuggling, all Nigerian Customs needs to do is stop accepting bribes, impound all smuggled vehicles, impose a heavy fine or sell it to junkyards for parts. I assure you that it will stop overnight.

A shameful and pathetic public display of aggression by US Customs should not be our way.

PS: I am personally affected by this crushing and this is why I am very vocal about this issue. It's simply not the way to go.
Re: The Nigerian Customs Service Should Take A Cue by Immune1(m): 9:12am On Dec 19, 2014
CityNG:

I hold a different position than you do, with due respect.

There are many still useful vehicles overseas that can be imported into Nigeria. Not all "toks" are condemned derelicts and unsafe contraptions. The issue here is that our automotive dealers, some of them, choose to bring a lot of the less than stellar vehicles into Nigeria, perhaps this is to meet a stingy price point as set by Nigerian consumers. I've advertised a 2009 VW Jetta now for months with no interest. It's not because the car is not a good or well priced (in my opinion) but it's because it's competing at less than stellar vehicles that are priced at ridiculous price points.

I still think that you used the wrong example in this specific Austin Mini Cooper to make your point. The only error in this car is that the VIN was tampered with. It's to because it's not safe.

Should the Nigerian Customs be destroying cars that are impounded like the idiotic Americans? Absolutely not.

Instead they should sell it at a great discount to junk yards so that the parts can be harvested and used in other cars. Or offer the owner an opportunity to sell it to another country (Cameroon or Cotonue) or licensed for off road use only.

To counter smuggling, all Nigerian Customs needs to do is stop accepting bribes, impound all smuggled vehicles, impose a heavy fine or sell it to junkyards for parts. I assure you that it will stop overnight.

A shameful and pathetic public display of aggression by US Customs should not be our way.

PS: I am personally affected by this crushing and this is why I am very vocal about this issue. It's simply not the way to go.

Point noted!
Its good that we have both agreed on the need for smuggling to be stamped out by any means necessary. One of the reasons Late Dora Akunyili's campaign against fake drugs was successful was because of the very forceful approach under her directive as the head of Nafdac then; this gradually led to a reduction of these type of imports (which means that the volume of goods intended to be smuggled drastically reduced overtime then). Why i beleive this method of approach (backed by fairness and equity) will work is because unlike the Pharmaceutical drug barons with stacks of money to risk in such unholy venture on a repeated basis even after facing huge losses, vehicle importation isn't run by a few financially buoyant cartels- rather it is run by a collection of many small-scale businessmen. What this means is that if you publicly destroy a few cars (which will lead to losses accrued by many small scale businesses); it will serve as a strong deterrent which will ultimately make these individuals rethink the kinds of vehicles they choose to import into Nigeria.

Finally, sorry for how this Mini crushing may have affected you, at the end of the day rules are rules.

(1) (Reply)

High Resale Of Eod Cars / Automobile Engineering Training / MMT Gear Problems (multimode)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.