Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,434 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Punishment: Application/effect & Alternative To Using Physical Punishment - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Punishment: Application/effect & Alternative To Using Physical Punishment (476 Views)

Why Are All Nigerians Addicted To Using Smelly Filthy Toilets / Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids / Effect Of Ice Cold Water During Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Punishment: Application/effect & Alternative To Using Physical Punishment by lanxlot(m): 7:48pm On Dec 16, 2014
you may have read about the incidence that led to the arrest of a man who allegedly killed his 10 years old son in a misguarded attempt at disciplining the child. he chained the boy. that act equates My topic....The use of physical punishment.
quite a bit of controversy exist about the wisdom of using physical punishment. it may include mild spanking to frequent harsh heavy-handed physical punishment.....critics of corporal punishment argue that it produces many unintended & undesirable side effects e.g, the aforementioned. other negatives but not limited to include: Strong emotional responses such as anxiety, anger & resentment and generate hostility toward the source of the punishment, such as a parent. Though it is premature to condemn the judicious use of mild spankings, especially when children are too young to understand a verbal repriment, it is mostly agreed that parents should minimize their dependence On physical punishment.

ALTERNATIVES TO USING SEVERE CORPORAL PUNISHMENT.
Given the concerns about physical punishment, many experts argue that non corporal punishments are a more prudent means to achieve disciplinary goals. Even a vigorous spanking isn't felt by a child an hour later in contrast, withdrawing valued privileges e.g taking away a child's T.v watching privileges can give children hours to contemplate the behavior that got them in trouble. whatever the case, for punishments to be effective, it should be swift, consistent, explained and just severe enough to have an impact.

The above ideas aroused from skinner's operant conditioning Which has to do with reinforcements (reward & punishment) as a way of shaping response. I.e, if a subject Perhaps a child emits a desirable response, you reinforce the child positively but if the reverse is the case you punish the child. As I mentioned, one must'nt apply physical punishment always as they are various ways to shape behavior.

Bulks of what I wrote above, I adapted from weiten's "Themes and variation" chapter 6, page 236 & 237.
Re: Punishment: Application/effect & Alternative To Using Physical Punishment by lanxlot(m): 7:55pm On Dec 16, 2014
cc RoyalRoy,
cc Tgirl4real.....move this topic.

(1) (Reply)

Men Sentenced To Death For Stealing Fowls / Maternity Fitness Ball / What Every Lady Should Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.