Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System (21711 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by promise46(m): 4:31pm On Dec 26, 2014
Lexusgs430:
Simply Downgrade to windows 7. #teamwindows7
simply upgrade to the wonderfully Win10. and i bet you wouldn't regret
#teamWin10#
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Fulaman198(m): 4:41pm On Dec 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Windows 8 is slower to connect with a wifi connection than windows 7. This became worse with the initial 8.1 update. Even now, I have two windows 7 laptops (my old laptop and my brothers) which can connect at a longer range than windows 8.1 laptops. These are all toshiba and hp laptops of the same price range.

just google "windows 8/8.1 wifi problems".....many forums have concluded that there is no easy answer to the issue because it is not only a hardware issue.

Also, one of the rules of business and customer service is to never change what is not broken, especially with something worse.

in windows 7, to shutdown all i need to do is to click on the start button hover to shut down menu and click "shut down". 3 STEPS, 2 CLICKS

in windows 8, to shut down, I would have to swipe to the right (which works irrationally on all windows 8/8.1 pcs), then if the menu comes up, I click on the "settings" icon, click on the "off" icon and then click "shut down". 4 STEPS, 3 CLICKS AND 1 SWIPE.

Or, I could just press or click the start button and search for "shutdown". A huge waste of precious seconds.

Windows 8 is a crappy version of windows 7 with a new interface

You can Google Windows 7 Wi-Fi problems, it doesn't mean it's actually a problem. Windows 8/8.1 from my experience thus far has no issues connecting to my work. Connecting to Wi-Fi can be a plethora of things outside of your OS. There can be DoS attacks on your wireless network (Denial of Service), it could be your Wireless Network Card, it could be malware on your system (goes back to Denial of Service) but then again Windows 8/8.1 devices are much more difficult to infect than Windows 7 computers. It could be so many things.

I don't know about you, but I value security. That's one of the most important if not most important things in the computer and networking world. If we go by security alone Windows 8 completely destroys Windows 7 in this category, and that's not the only category.

1 Like

Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:55pm On Dec 26, 2014
Fulaman198:

You can Google Windows 7 Wi-Fi problems, it doesn't mean it's actually a problem. Windows 8/8.1 from my experience thus far has no issues connecting to my work. Connecting to Wi-Fi can be a plethora of things outside of your OS. There can be DoS attacks on your wireless network (Denial of Service), it could be your Wireless Network Card, it could be malware on your system (goes back to Denial of Service) but then again Windows 8/8.1 devices are much more difficult to infect than Windows 7 computers. It could be so many things.

I don't know about you, but I value security. That's one of the most important if not most important things in the computer and networking world. If we go by security alone Windows 8 completely destroys Windows 7 in this category, and that's not the only category.

google "windows 7 wifi problems" and then google "windows 8/8.1 wifi problems". The google results on the first page of each search will tell you all you need to know. The difference is that most windows 7 wifi problems are easily solvable- you will see some solved links. But for windows 8, there are so many factors affecting the wifi connectivity issues. There is even a common issue of "limited" connection. When a problem has a name......it is quite common.

Security is a lie. You have no security on any windows system and so, your point is moot. You get viruses on both systems because hackers always migrate to the latest windows os since most people use windows.
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by yemiplex(m): 5:03pm On Dec 26, 2014
edy4u:
It's also depends more on the hardware. I'm using Windows 8 with Samsung series 3 notebook, 4g/750g hdd and core i5 and I'm enjoying it to the full.
My advice is, check your hardware, they are definitely fault in your hardware as you are experiencing blue screen

Same here bro, that's the exact system that I'm using and it has been so good to me all day long

2 Likes

Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:27pm On Dec 26, 2014
Maybe he installed windows 8 from a N250 cd on a motherboard that was not designed for Windows 8. eh eh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by tomiobj(m): 5:39pm On Dec 26, 2014
Bleep windows 7. It's rubbish. #team xp
iykpeterz:
I Wonder why Win 7 is far more better than Win 8, with one thinking Win 8 would be better off Win 7....
1ST....Blue Screen Of Death...This occurs when am busy with 2 or more programs or insert a usb and working with it over 5mins...it hangs with a blue screen and restarts...
2nd....Mouse cursor hanging...I dont know wat causes it buh d cursor just stays *pako*.
3rd....Irregular hotness of Tha System which will cook life chicken
4th.....Oversabi of programs ...and at the end na network hanging
5th....Itz just lyk may i naq am for wall...
#FuckWindow8.....#IMissYouWindow7...
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Fulaman198(m): 5:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

google "windows 7 wifi problems" and then google "windows 8/8.1 wifi problems". The google results on the first page of each search will tell you all you need to know. The difference is that most windows 7 wifi problems are easily solvable- you will see some solved links. But for windows 8, there are so many factors affecting the wifi connectivity issues. There is even a common issue of "limited" connection. When a problem has a name......it is quite common.

Security is a lie. You have no security on any windows system and so, your point is moot. You get viruses on both systems because hackers always migrate to the latest windows os since most people use windows.

Any operating system can get viruses, I did not say windows 8.1 is an impregnable fortress no operating system is. However, it is fact that Windows 8/8.1 are far more secure than Windows 7. Again, I have 3 Windows 8.1 devices not one has ever had an issue with Wi-Fi.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, as someone who works in the I.T. world, there are many variables as to why something may not be working. Some people often don't know who to blame and many computer illiterates who just go by ear or what they read will first point fingers at the operating system when the issue can be another variable (like their wireless network).

Often people don't have the intuition to want to learn new things or solve simple problems so they look for something or someone else to blame. Hence, the term PEBKAC
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by ewizard1: 5:44pm On Dec 26, 2014
Windows 8 was meant for Touchscreen PCs and Devices... Using it on a Non-Touch PCs is so annoying!!!

Me? Windows 7 is the Best... Easy & Swift navigation..
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:03pm On Dec 26, 2014
Fulaman198:

Any operating system can get viruses, I did not say windows 8.1 is an impregnable fortress no operating system is. However, it is fact that Windows 8/8.1 are far more secure than Windows 7. Again, I have 3 Windows 8.1 devices not one has ever had an issue with Wi-Fi.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, as someone who works in the I.T. world, there are many variables as to why something may not be working. Some people often don't know who to blame and many computer illiterates who just go by ear or what they read will first point fingers at the operating system when the issue can be another variable (like their wireless network).

Often people don't have the intuition to want to learn new things or solve simple problems so they look for something or someone else to blame. Hence, the term PEBKAC

Sorry, but the initial 8.1 update had a wifi issue. https://www.wiknix.com/no-internet-access-in-windows-8-1/

And windows 8 came with so many bugs and issues on release.

You can't sway me with your "credentials" as an IT worker. I know the many failures of windows 8. Most geeks will tell you that windows 7 is the better os. It is the market choice and it came with less revulsion.....ehem....no start button wink
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by julybaba(m): 6:21pm On Dec 26, 2014
Readonee35L:
i am very sure you are using an illegal activation for that windows 8, If you don't have genuine activation that computer can never be stable, because most cracks contain malwares trying to block the activation technology then when you perform windows update the whole system turns upside down, and it slows
And your computer hardware is not also meeting up with the requirements of windows 8 as for the mouse issue its an hardware fault
I doubt this theory
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by julybaba(m): 6:25pm On Dec 26, 2014
JideTheBlogger:
Maybe he installed windows 8 from a N250 cd on a motherboard that was not designed for Windows 8. eh eh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
This ur theory na wa o
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Smooyis(m): 6:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
Is it possible to upgrade a window7 pc to window 8 or 8.1? What are the likely effects?
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Lexusgs430: 6:59pm On Dec 26, 2014
Smooyis:
Is it possible to upgrade a window7 pc to window 8 or 8.1? What are the likely effects?

If your Computer does not have the upgrade rights to windows 8, don't bother. The road ahead would be filled with complains and incompatibilities !!!!!!
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Lexusgs430: 7:05pm On Dec 26, 2014
tomiobj:
Bleep windows 7. It's rubbish. #team xp

Windows xp in its heydays was probably the best windows operating system. But time has passed on it, and its time it retired peacefully. Windows 7 is a natural and better progression from Windows XP.
Give it a trial and you will love it !!!!!
NB: It might mean upgrading your personal computer,but if funds is an issue. Stick it on your bucket list !!!!!
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Hero10001: 8:59pm On Dec 26, 2014
wallflower:
Seriously? Window 8.x is much better than windows 7 light years better, it's either your hardware is messed up, you've installed some crap program or you've inadvertently introduced some malware into your system. Find out what's wrong with your PC before blabbing, but if one thing I can assure of it that Windows 8 is not the problem.
Seconded!
OP, This is what happens when you know nothing about PC's.
Your Laptop is a Chinko/AMD/Low spec system i.e running Win8 on 1gbram, 32bit, 1.0ghz is a ship.
Win8 is the deal, i can't wait go flex Win9 next year.
Win8.1 is better though.
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Lexusgs430: 9:19pm On Dec 26, 2014
Hero10001:

Seconded!
OP, This is what happens when you know nothing about PC's.
Your Laptop is a Chinko/AMD/Low spec system i.e running Win8 on 1gbram, 32bit, 1.0ghz is a ship.
Win8 is the deal, i can't wait go flex Win9 next year.
Win8.1 is better though.

Windows 9 ? You will wait forever !!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 26, 2014
Vicotex:
because u havent exlore it
How do you know I haven't? apparently you're the only person in Nigeria that has ever side loaded an OS.
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 26, 2014
@ OP!

Ok! It is clear you don't want to move along with the progressive world. Remain with your old Windows 7 until Microsoft scrap it by 2015!
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Ben3nity: 12:42am On Dec 27, 2014
I cant wait to upgrade to windows 8.2 and then Wait for windows 9(2015)
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by denzel2009: 1:08am On Dec 27, 2014
all4naija:
@ OP!

Ok! It is clear you don't want to move along with the progressive world. Remain with your old Windows 7 until Microsoft scrap it by 2015!

Microsoft will not scrap win 7 arguably their best OS in the next 10. If anything, they will discard win 8 in 2015. You wanna bet?
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Nobody: 1:10am On Dec 27, 2014
denzel2009:

Microsoft will not scrap win 7 arguably their best OS in the next 10. If anything, they will discard win 8 in 2015. You wanna bet?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by denzel2009: 1:21am On Dec 27, 2014
all4naija:

So, you missed the part where they mentioned service park 1? you think they will not release subsequent service packs. Considering businesses just deployed/migrated to 7, they wouldn't try it. Forget about those dates, win 8 is going to die before win 7.
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Nobody: 1:22am On Dec 27, 2014
denzel2009:

So, you missed the part where they mentioned service park 1? you think they will not release subsequent service packs. Considering businesses just deployed/migrated to 7, they wouldn't try it. Forget about those dates, win 8 is going to die before win 7.
Reread the link again!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by nymphomaniac(m): 6:38am On Dec 27, 2014
Fulaman198:

Not the least bit true, windows 8.1 boots up far faster than windows 7, and the entire Windows 8.1 OS is just more responsive. Check your system for Malware. I think I made a thread on this about 15 ways Windows 8.x is far superior.
dude, my windows 8 isn't genuine. it is a build. can I upgrade it to genuine 8.1 from the store or I must use a CD. note that d current windows 8 am running sef is 32bit on a 64bit pc which I don't like
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by nymphomaniac(m): 6:46am On Dec 27, 2014
JideTheBlogger:
my problem exactly boss, my dell laptop 4gb ram 500hdd core i3 came with an installed non genuine Windows 8. can I upgrade from d store to genuine Windows 8.1 or just wait use a CD? pls note also that d windows 8 am running is a 32bit os whereas my system is 64bit so I don't like it
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Hero10001: 7:33am On Dec 27, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Windows 9 ? You will wait forever !!!!!!!!!!
No! It's here already..
Google it.
8-)
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by tomiobj(m): 10:13am On Dec 27, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Windows xp in its heydays was probably the best windows operating system. But time has passed on it, and its time it retired peacefully. Windows 7 is a natural and better progression from Windows XP.
Give it a trial and you will love it !!!!!
NB: It might mean upgrading your personal computer,but if funds is an issue. Stick it on your bucket list !!!!!
. I know that. Nd I use a windows 8. Nd the windows 8 is better than 7
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Defcon1(m): 10:27am On Dec 27, 2014
ireneony:
op try and update your phone to window 8.1
go to setting, you will see phone update.
then check for update.
ever since i updated my window 8.0 to window 8.1 it has become easier to use
please,what windows phone are you using?
mine is the oldest Lumia...520
have tried updating it to WP 8.1 many times on WiFi (following the exact direction you gave) but l still ended up with WP 8.
Any heads up?
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by ireneony(f): 10:45am On Dec 27, 2014
Defcon1:

please,what windows phone are you using?
mine is the oldest Lumia...520
have tried updating it to WP 8.1 many times on WiFi (following the exact direction you gave) but l still ended up with WP 8.
Any heads up?
keep updating it. In the night don't turn off your wifi.leave it like that don't touch your phone. Try and wake up later that night, you will see a message from Microsoft telling you to update your phone.....which is going to take about 30minute, then u will press update....don't touch the phone during the process of it updating. After 30mins your phone will update itself.
Remember not to turn off your wifi when you want to sleep the next night then you will see another message on the screen ......which says you have to update the phone which takes 10mins to enable it function properly.

That's all oh ......that is how I updated my phone. The phone will be the to tell when to update itselfgrincheesy
You can update Lumia 520 wink
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Defcon1(m): 9:25pm On Dec 27, 2014
ireneony:
keep updating it. In the night don't turn off your wifi.leave it like that don't touch your phone. Try and wake up later that night, you will see a message from Microsoft telling you to update your phone.....which is going to take about 30minute, then u will press update....don't touch the phone during the process of it updating. After 30mins your phone will update itself.
Remember not to turn off your wifi when you want to sleep the next night then you will see another message on the screen ......which says you have to update the phone which takes 10mins to enable it function properly.

That's all oh ......that is how I updated my phone. The phone will be the to tell when to update itselfgrincheesy
You can update Lumia 520 wink
Thanks a bunch for your time and the meticulous explanation
I'm sure I'll get it right this time.
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Readonee35L(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2014
julybaba:
I doubt this theory
okay
Re: My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System by Respect55(m): 2:11pm On Mar 04, 2016
I disagree with you because am using HP 2000 window 8. Window 8 is better

Bro. We r using same laptop. HP2000. But if i minimize it(put d phone to sleep), it stops charging my fone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Bypass Password On Laptop / 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria / How Temporarily Disable Computer From Working?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.