Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” (964 Views)

What A Man Needs Is SUBMISSION not SEX / Mr.right,mr Right Now Or Mr.wrong!ladies,who Are You With? / How to Treat a Girl: Macho Man or Mr. Nice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by zboyd: 11:16pm On Dec 16, 2014
The Problem With Single African Women
BY Sabella Ogbobode Abidde

Generally speaking, African women in the Diasporas spends eternity waiting and or searching for Mr. Perfect — when human perfection is an illusion; and that a second group allows cultural considerations to influence their lives. As humane as the African culture is, certain aspects of it are energy sapping and regressive; therefore, these women should not subject themselves to its demands.

Most African women (in the Diasporas) put themselves in the situation in which they find themselves by virtue of their supercilious attitude. Most can’t even tell what it is they want and what they want in a man and in a relationship. They are confused and can’t decide whether they are Africans or are “non-Africans” living in the West. These women want to be co-captains, coequals and at the same time quote Oprahisms or threaten you with the intervention of the social service or the police if you tell them to behave like a wife. No man in his right mind will go near such a woman — unless by mistake, he was drunk or was desperate for something!

Most of these women spend a great deal of their valuable time searching for Mr. Right. Sometimes, what a woman need is “Mr. OK,” and not “Mr. Right” or “Mr. Perfect;” and so they become blind or too engrossed with their trivial requirements — so much so that they wouldn’t recognize Mr. Right even if he came along. Such women come to their senses only when it is too late. This gives rise to the phenomenon of women complaining: “There are no good men around…” Oops, ladies, he was right there all along but was too shallow to recognize a good thing!

Every Nigerian man I know would rather marry a Nigerian woman. The same can be said of all the African men that I know. But sadly — and this is especially so in the last decade or so — these women want to know the type of car one drives, whether one lives in a home with a 2-car-garage or in an apartment, ones salary and investments and so on and so forth. They want men with exotic cars, Armani suits, Gucci watch, Italian-snake shoes and a cellar full of French wines. They want a ready-made man — never a struggling man with potentials who is decent, loving, and morally and ethically upright.

The educated African women — the PhD holders, the lawyers, medical doctors, masters of this and masters of that and their likes are among the snootiest. These same women complain about Black men going after White women! The sad truth is that, more often than not, the White women are ready to “work with you,” but not so for the vast majority (of a small number of African women). And then they wonder why more and more Black men are ensconced with non-African women? Their demands have, in some cases, driven feeble-hearted African men to commit the unthinkable. Today, especially in places like Houston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Los Angeles, we have a segment of Nigerian men selling their soul to meet the demands of these unscrupulous and greedy women.

The fault is not our women’s alone. Good gracious, Lord knows that some African men can be and are devilish, conniving, lying and cheating bastards who will take women for the ride and, if need be, take them to the cleaners in a heartbeat. Besides, some of these men would commit illegalities even without the women asking. These men live to please women’s narcissism. Still, I don’t feel sorry for most women who complain about the lack of “good men” for relationships or marriage. My attitude is that of indifference. And in any case, they don’t need my sympathy!

I wonder how many men they shunned, dismissed, laughed at and even “spit” at? I wonder. A woman can’t be that smart, funny, educated, sassy, spunky and fun loving and not have flock of men after her. But unfortunately, we have a small group of women who, once they attain certain status get greedy and dream pipedreams — waiting for Mr. Perfect to sweep them off their feet.

Yes, it is true that as Africans, marriage is highly rated and the unmarried women are generally frowned upon. Not so with African women who live in North America. These are educated women; these are women who probably believe in the equality of both sexes. These are women who, at the very least, have spent an upward of five years in the West. Therefore, they should know, or at the very least, should have known that as humanistic and benevolent as the African culture is, it is also a culture that can be oppressive and relegates women to inferior and painful positions.

Any critical observer of women knows that, in most cases, women are women’s worst enemies. Most of the time, it is women who are goading fellow women to get married and have children long before their time or long before they are ready and capable. In this day and age, do women really need a man, a ring, partner and the title, Mrs., to feel complete, happy and blissful? I don’t think so. I don’t, because one need not be married to be happy. One need not be married to have children. One need not be married to feel accomplished. One need not be married to have a wonderful life.

To feel otherwise is to stunt ones growth, happiness and sense of fulfillment. African women should stop worrying about what society thinks or feels about them in terms of their marital status. They don’t need men to feel complete! And for those who must worry, well, they should stop searching for Mr. Perfect or Mr. Readymade. African women should cultivate their own gardens instead of waiting to be fed; plant their own flowers instead of waiting for men to bring them roses. You are capable; you illuminate the world and give joy to humanity. Be you…

Source: saharareporters.com / nigeriansinamerica.com

What do you think of this author's views on single, African women?

1 Like

Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 16, 2014
Nice essay. But e make sense sha
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by zboyd: 12:25am On Dec 17, 2014
obongproff:
Nice essay. But e make sense sha

In what sense, please?
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by Exjoker(m): 12:34am On Dec 17, 2014
Only if I had time to read all this long post....
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by Nobody: 1:53am On Dec 17, 2014
zboyd:

In what sense, please?

Dat ladies dont need a man to feel complete. Dat ladies shd have a life and a mind of dia own, dat ladies shd stop looking for Mr. Right and all dat. But d bad tin be say d whole article contradicts itself.
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by zboyd: 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2014
obongproff:

Dat ladies dont need a man to feel complete. Dat ladies shd have a life and a mind of dia own, dat ladies shd stop looking for Mr. Right and all dat. But d bad tin be say d whole article contradicts itself.

Very true!
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by londoner: 11:02pm On Dec 17, 2014
Well, Mr. Compatible is more realistic. Same goes for the men, Mrs Compatible, more chance of actually been happy more times then unhappy
Its all about companionship imo.
Re: What A Woman Needs Is “Mr. OK,” - Not “Mr. Right” Or “Mr. Perfect” by olexjay(m): 11:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
I don't really know where I'm gonna start my reading from.

I'm gonna claim this space, take my time to copy this post to Text2Voice translator and come back to comment.

Tnx

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Reboot Your Life: 20 Mental Barriers You Should Let Go Of / Be Sincere!! Would You Break Up With Your Babe If Dangote’s Daughter Wants You? / 7 Things You Don’t Have To Do Just Because You’re Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.