Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,827 members, 7,798,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race (1192 Views)

Withdraw Wike From Governorship Race, Elders Tell PDP, Jonathan / Court Bars Jimi Agbaje From Parading Himself As Governorship Candidate / Gulak, Ribadu Carpet Fintiri For Joining Adamawa Governorship Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Obinoscopy(m): 5:52am On Dec 18, 2014
AN aggrieved loser of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship primaries in Lagos State, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, has failed to secure an interim injunction from the Federal High Court, Abuja Division, to aid his cause.

Obanikoro, who was the former Minister of State for Defence, had requested the court to stop the party from submitting the name of the declared winner of the primary election, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as its standard bearer for the state in 2015.

The decision followed an exparte application moved on Obanikoro’s behalf by his counsel, Chris Uche (SAN), praying the court to restrain PDP and INEC from dealing with Agbaje as the former’s flagbearer in the 2015 governorship race.

However, in his ruling, Justice Ahmed Ramat Mohammed ordered Obanikoro to put the defendants on notice for them to appear in court to show cause why the order should not be granted.

In the substantive suit, Obanikoro ‎accused a chieftain of PDP in Lagos State, Olabode George, and Agbaje of recruiting armed thugs to the disadvantage of other candidates at the governorship primaries held on December 8.

“I also saw the police recover five guns and rounds of ammunition and life cartridges from the thugs brought by Olabode George and Mr. Jimi Agbaje, a co-aspirant,”‎ the former minister claimed.

His averment is contained in an affidavit in support of his suit seeking to nullify Agbaje’s victory at the said primaries. Obanikoro, with 343 votes, came second behind Agbaje, who polled 432 votes to clinch the party’s ticket. Three other candidates participated in the poll.

However, in a suit filed on December 15, he urged the court to nullify the primaries and order a fresh one on the grounds of alleged electoral irregularities that marred the December 8 exercise.

He alleged in his suit of December 18 that the election was marred by electoral irregularities such as over-voting, intimidation of his delegates by thugs loyal to George and Agbaje, as well as improper accreditation of delegates.

According to him, there were 806 delegates accredited for the primaries but, “surprisingly from the 806 accredited delegates, the electoral officers returned a total number of 866 votes.”

He added that the accreditation of delegates, which ought to last between 8a.m and 12noon, as stipulated by the PDP Electoral Guidelines, did not start until as late as 6.30p.m.

In an affidavit he personally deposed to, Obanikoro stated that the thugs “at this point began to disrupt the venue by throwing bottles, stones and firing gunshots in the direction of the delegates loyal to me and preventing other delegates loyal to me from entering the venue.

“That the gunshots attracted another detachment of policemen, who engaged the thugs in a gun and teargas battle during which many of the delegates loyal to me ran for their dear lives to avoid being caught in the crossfire between the police and the armed thugs.”
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/190720-court-rejects-obanikoro-s-bid-to-stop-agbaje-from-guber-race
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by benebaby77: 5:56am On Dec 18, 2014
Nigerian Politics..... If he was the one that won the election, he will keep mums.... They only make a noise when the odd are against them......
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by omenka(m): 6:06am On Dec 18, 2014
Have the courts started issuing conflicting judgements?? Though I saw somewhere thaat the court has barred Jimi from posing as the flag bearer of the party. What is going on??

Well, whatever it is, they can mess themselves up until valentine for all I care.

#APC all the way!!

6 Likes

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by mistabiola: 6:08am On Dec 18, 2014
Hmmm so the court is now bending the rule in favour of their paymaster cheesy grin It s glaring to the blind that the election wasn't conducted in the fairest manner but yoruba would say '' wa koni tie niwaju'' cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by egift(m): 6:09am On Dec 18, 2014
Confusion in PDP grin grin grin

Say No to PDP claws in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by chymystique(f): 6:18am On Dec 18, 2014
Nigerian P0liticians and their chicken attitude.. When they are the winner its a free and fair election and when they lose they cry foul..

Yeye dey ooze.. undecided
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Tolexander: 6:29am On Dec 18, 2014
In an affidavit he personally deposed to, Obanikoro stated that the thugs “at this point began to disrupt the venue by throwing bottles, stones and firing gunshots in the direction of the delegates loyal to me and preventing other delegates loyal to me from entering the venue.
The man now complains of how Thugs harassed, fired missiles at and prevented his supporters from voting!

Has he forgotten when he was in charge of the army using them against the opposition in Ekiti election?

3 Likes

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Firefire(m): 6:50am On Dec 18, 2014
Guys shield your swords. embarassed

Mission to liberate Lagos MUST BE ACCOMPLISHED!

Eko o ni baje ju bayi lo ooo
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by hushmail: 6:50am On Dec 18, 2014
sore losers

always enriching lawyers

anyway judiciary don judicate, make d man go rest
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by thunderrider: 11:21am On Dec 18, 2014
Modified

omenka:
Have the courts started issuing conflicting judgements?? Though I saw somewhere thaat the court has barred Jimi from posing as the flag bearer of the party. What is going on??

At times I keep wondering what to believe these days
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Caseless: 11:32am On Dec 18, 2014
Injuctions and counter-injuctions!
When Ambode don de campaign already. PDP is yet to settle for a particular candidate. Oya, keep fighting; it is to our own advantage.
Sai Ambode!

3 Likes

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Bantino(m): 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2014
What's going on self?
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by PerfumeRepublik: 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2014
Koro is just an aggrieved loser ,he should support Jimi..
APC has fixed their house,every one is standing behind ambode
Why Koro no wan line up behind Jimi?
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by Brimmie(m): 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
This Reporter is wicked tho! grin See the words he used to describe KoroBucci "Mr Toilet For All"! grin

I'm loving this. tongue
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by EdCure: 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2014
PDP is synonimous with chaos, anerchy and crisis.

3 Likes

Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by adadadon(m): 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2014
SAI Buhari SAI Ambode
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by major466(m): 3:35pm On Dec 18, 2014
PDP is a family. Like all families conflicts are bound to occur. In the end all matters would be resolved amenably like mature people. I see Agbaje as the next Gov of Lagos State.
Re: Court Rejects Obanikoro’s Bid To Stop Agbaje From Governorship Race by major466(m): 3:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
EdCure:
APC is synonimous with chaos, anerchy and crisis.
Good.

(1) (Reply)

Those That Want To Know What GEJ HAD Done For The Easterners.here We Go.. / Read General Buhari's Fancinating New Year Message / MTN Now Campaigns For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.