Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? (2657 Views)

Suleman To El-Rufai: “You Are Dead Already, Ask For Date Of Your Burial" (video) / Ways Women Ask For Offering Indirectly On A Sunday Morning / Julius Malema To Visit T.B Joshua To ‘Ask For Blessings’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 8:39am On Dec 18, 2014
A question for the Church
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Belexy95: 8:51am On Dec 18, 2014
Before His ascention, Jesus promised the coming of d Holy Spirit when He leaves. The Holy Spirit has been given to d church, we RECIEVE Him and not ask for Him.

1 Like

Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 18, 2014
Belexy95:
Before His ascention, Jesus promised the coming of d Holy Spirit when He leaves. The Holy Spirit has been given to d church, we RECIEVE Him and not ask for Him.
but first we have to desire him , he doesn't force himself on people. .

3 Likes

Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 10:27am On Dec 18, 2014
Elantracey:

but first we have to desire him , he doesn't force himself on people. .
Any Scripture that speak thus "And the people desire the Holy Spirit"?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 11:04am On Dec 18, 2014
Well according to Jesus you need to ask for the Holy Spirit to receive Him.

Luke 11v13 -If ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit TO THEM THAT ASK HIM.

The Holy Spirit didn't fall automatically on the Samaritan converts when they got baptised into Christ.

Acts 8v16 -For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Philp had to send for the apostles who prayed to God for the Samaritans to received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8v14-15 -Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Who, when they were come down, PRAYED FOR THEM, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

The Holy Spirit didn't also fall automatically on the Corinthian brethren even though scripture called them disciples already.

Acts 19v2 -He said unto them, have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto Him, We have not so much has heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Meaning they needed to formally know of Him, desire Him and ask for Him to receive Him.

Paul had to formally preach to them about the Holy Ghost and minister the baptism for them (Acts 19v4-6)

So its clear from scripture, you need to ask to receive the baptism in the Holy Ghost, whether by yourself or by the help of the ministration of another.

But also remember that there is a different between the measure of the Spirit we receive at salvation and the measure we receive when we are baptised in Him.

1 Like

Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 11:20am On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:
Well according to Jesus you need to ask for the Holy Spirit to receive Him.

Luke 11v13 -If ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit TO THEM THAT ASK HIM.

The Holy Spirit didn't fall automatically on the Samaritan converts when they got baptised into Christ.

Acts 8v16 -For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Philp had to send for the apostles who prayed to God for the Samaritans to received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8v14-15 -Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Who, when they were come down, PRAYED FOR THEM, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

The Holy Spirit didn't also fall automatically on the Corinthian brethren even though scripture called them disciples already.

Acts 19v2 -He said unto them, have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto Him, We have not so much has heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Meaning they needed to formally know of Him, desire Him and ask for Him to receive Him.

Paul had to formally preach to them about the Holy Ghost and minister the baptism for them (Acts 19v4-6)

So its clear from scripture, you need to ask to receive the baptism in the Holy Ghost, whether by yourself or by the help of the ministration of another.

But also remember that there is a different between the measure of the Spirit we receive at salvation and the measure we receive when we are baptised in Him.
Do u ask for a gift?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 11:27am On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
Do u ask for a gift?

In scripture the apostles prayed to receive the Holy Spirit. Jesus also said the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.

So yes you can ask for a gift.

If a gift is not received automatically, then you must formally ask and receive it by faith.

Even the gift of salvation is received formally not automatically.

Let scriptural antecedents guide your doctrine. And from scripture, the Holy Spirit was prayed or asked for, even after pentecost.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 11:29am On Dec 18, 2014
And it is no more a gift when u ask for it neither did it remains a promise
ayoku777:

In scripture the apostles prayed to receive the Holy Spirit. Jesus also said the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.

So yes you can ask for a gift.

If a gift is not received automatically, then you must formally ask and receive it by faith.

Even the gift of salvation is received formally not automatically.

Let scriptural antecedents guide your doctrine. And from scripture, the Holy Spirit was prayed or asked for, even after pentecost.
Now show me where it is written "The Apostle gather to pray for the Holy Spirit"
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 11:37am On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
And it is no more a gift when u ask for it neither did it remains a promise Now show me where it is written "The Apostle gather to pray for the Holy Spirit"

A gift is something you don't pay for not something you don't ask for.

Don't establish doctrine with your own definition of "gift". Anything received by faith is a gift, even if it is asked for.

Or you consider asking as "works"? Or you consider asking as payment for something. Asking doesn't mean something is no more a gift in scripture.

So when we pray to God and ask Him for healing when we are sick, the healing is no more a gift? We paid for it by asking? Emphatically NO!

Then for a scripture of where the apostles prayed to receive the Holy Spirit.

Who, when they were come down, PRAYED FOR THEM, THAT THEY MIGHT RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 12:01pm On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:

A gift is something you don't pay for not something you don't ask for.

Don't establish doctrine with your own definition of "gift". Anything received by faith is a gift, even if it is asked for.

Or you consider asking as "works"? Or you consider asking as payment for something. Asking doesn't mean something is no more a gift in scripture.

Then for a scripture of where the apostles prayed to receive the Holy Spirit.

Who, when they were come down, PRAYED FOR THEM, THAT THEY MIGHT RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.
They already had the Holy Spirit bro but not yet the gifts of the Spirit. They can't believe the Gospel without the Holy Spirit with them "No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit" Now when they believe He comes in "You know him and He is with you,and will be in you" Since He is with them the next thing is He being in them and that happens when the believe and confess Jesus is the Christ "If anyone opens to me I will come in and dine with him" Having opens the door of their heart by believing and confessing Jesus is the Christ the Lord fulfil his promise and give them the Holy Spirit to live in them. Been then in them they need the Gifts of the Spirit that is why the Apostle was sent to them not that they haven't receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit but because they have not receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You don't ask for gift from friends or dad for then its no longer a gift but a demand dat u are worthy to have him do dat for u so also it is with God u don't ask for the Holy Spirit which is the Gift of God as the world did not ask for Christ the Gift of God b4 he gave to us Christ.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
They already had the Holy Spirit bro but not yet the gifts of the Spirit. They can't believe the Gospel without the Holy Spirit with them "No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit" Now when they believe He comes in "You know him and He is with you,and will be in you" Since He is with them the next thing is He being in them and that happens when the believe and confess Jesus is the Christ "If anyone opens to me I will come in and dine with him" Having opens the door of their heart by believing and confessing Jesus is the Christ the Lord fulfil his promise and give them the Holy Spirit to live in them. Been then in them they need the Gifts of the Spirit that is why the Apostle was sent to them not that they haven't receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit but because they have not receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You don't ask for gift from friends or dad for then its no longer a gift but a demand dat u are worthy to have him do dat for u so also it is with God u don't ask for the Holy Spirit which is the Gift of God as the world did not ask for Christ the Gift of God b4 he gave to us Christ.

Why did Peter and John have to pray for the Samaritans before they received the Spirit, after they have already believed and accepted Christ?

Why did Paul have to pray for the Corithians before they received the Holy Spirit even after they have already believed and accepted Christ?

Paul didn't ask them if they have received the gifts of the Spirit? He asked if they have received the Holy Spirit.

Don't go beyond what is written.

That's why I told you earlier that the Spirit has measure.

The measure received at salvation and baptism into Christ is different from the measure received at baptism in the Holy Spirit -mostly accompanied by tongues.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:

Why did Peter and John have to pray for the Samaritans before they received the Spirit, after they have already believed and accepted Christ?

Why did Paul have to pray for the Corithians before they received the Holy Spirit even after they have already believed and accepted Christ?

Paul didn't ask them if they have received the gifts of the Spirit? He asked if they have received the Holy Spirit.

Don't go beyond what is written.
Did the Gentiles ask for the Holy Spirit before they receive?Did Paul u mention ask for the Holy Spirit b4 he receive? NO! And d Scripture don't contradict each other, Paul was reffering to the gifts of the Spirit there bro. They already had him the moment they believe.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
Did the Gentiles ask for the Holy Spirit before they receive?Did Paul u mention ask for the Holy Spirit b4 he receive? NO! And d Scripture don't contradict each other, Paul was reffering to the gifts of the Spirit there bro. They already had him the moment they believe.

Paul was minstered to by a brother in Damascus when he got baptised. It wasn't automatic for him either. Even after calling Jesus Lord.

Show me where Paul mentioned gifts when he was talking to the corinthians brethren.

What Jesus said is that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those WHO ASK HIM.

How clearer can the condition be than this.

Cornelius didn't ask and they wouldn't have asked before; neither would Peter had prayed for them. Because they didn't know the gentiles could receive the Spirit.

God broke protocol like on pentecost to make a doctrinal statement. After that time, accounts of Holy Ghost baptism was after prayer and/or laying on of hands.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 12:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:

Paul was minstered to by a brother in Damascus when he got baptised. It wasn't automatic for him either. Even after calling Jesus Lord.

Show me where Paul mentioned gifts when he was talking to the corinthians brethren.

Cornelius didn't ask and they wouldn't have asked before; neither would Peter had prayed for them. Because they didn't know the gentiles could receive the Spirit.

God broke protocol to make a doctrinal statement. After that time, accounts of Holy Ghost baptism was after prayer and/or laying on of hands.

When God made the promise in Joel He didn't add those who ask.Now u have been Quoting Jesus wrongly always,it seems u don't know d difference between Parable and teaching.Jesus was only painting for us a fundamental of Faith that all we ask we shall receive even the Holy Spirit which is the Seal for redemption is not an exemption with God; Telling us God is a generous giver; He is not saying we must ask for the Holy Spirit b4 we can receive it. Jesus said "Behold i send the promise of my Father to you" Do u ask for what has been sent to you already? Well this has been doctrinated by many churches for centuries b4 i was born still yet the Truth will be understood by the sons of Truth. Hear me O yee that are far off and near the Lord has promised you the Holy Spirit and He has sent His Spirit to you to dwell in you as it written "And He sent His Spirit into our Heart" The Holy Spirit has been sent into your heart to dwell and glorify that name "JESUS" in ur life only u have to receive him with FAITH.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2014
This is a topic i am very interested in because i have been doing some study on this subject alongside a book by A.W Tozer.

The Holy spirit is given at Salvation, remember, he is the seal of our salvation but to be filled by the holy spirit requires that we desire and seek for him. Also, i do not believe speaking with tongues is a sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Anyway, let's divide the word of truth and learn guys...i stand to be corrected smiley
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
Processor01:
This is a topic i am very interested in because i have been doing some study on this subject alongside a book by A.W Tozer.

The Holy spirit is given at Salvation, remember, he is the seal of our salvation but to be filled by the holy spirit requires that we desire and seek for him. Also, i do not believe speaking with tongues is a sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Anyway, let's divide the word of truth and learn guys...i stand to be corrected smiley
Speaking in tongue is never the sign to show someone have the Holy Spirit as some denominations proposed. The Filling of the Spirit is boldness to declare the Word of God totally in the Power of the Spirit.As u have said one desire and allow himself to be filled by listening to Voice of God always nd obeying the voice. Yea u are right One receive the Holy Spirit at salvation because the Holy Spirit is part of Salvation it is the Seal as u have rightly said.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2014
Thank you Processor01

You're very right brother.

No man can be born again without the Holy Spirit. You can't even say Jesus is Lord without the Holy Spirit.

1Cor 12v3 -....And that no man can say Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

So everyone who is a believer in Christ Jesus has the Holy Spirit.

But the measure of the Spirit we receive and have at the point of salvation by faith in Christ and confession of His Lordship is different from the measure we receive at baptism in the Holy Ghost.

This second measure needs to be desired and formally asked for, even though it is equally a gift.

The apostles also received a measure of the Holy Spirit after Jesus rose from the dead

The same day Jesus rose from the dead, He said to His disciples in

John 20v22 -And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, RECEIVE YE THE HOLY GHOST.

But 40 days after, just before His ascension in Acts 1v8, Jesus said

But ye shall receive power, after that THE HOLY GHOST IS COME UPON YOU.

What Holy Ghost again? Didn't they receive Him earlier?

Its the same Holy ghost but a different measure.

The measure you receive at salvation and faith in Christ is different from the measure you receive at baptism in the Holy ghost.

The latter must be desired and asked for. Unlike the measure that comes automatically with faith and confession of Christ as Lord. Yet both are gifts.

Asking does not nullify something as a gift; or make it less of a promise.

Healing is a promise as it is a gift, yet we are admonished to pray for healing.

John 5v14 -Is any SICK among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; AND LET THEM PRAY OVER HIM, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the PRAYER of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up.

In scripture, you can pray or ask for something that is a gift and a promise.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333 i think ayoku777 has some point here. If we have to receive the Holy spirit at two different times then it must be in different measures. From the scriptures, only Jesus Christ had the Holy spirit without measures and of course, he is God (John 3:34).

There is so much emphasis in the bible about being filled with the Holy spirit and from the book of Acts 2, there seems to be a clear distinction when one is filled as compared to when one has a measure as received at salvation.

@ Olusanya333, do you think we are filled with the Holy spirit by listening to the voice of God always and obeying his voice? Would this mean reading/studying the word and adhering to it? Any scriptural reference?

Like i mentioned earlier, i am here to learn because i don't have all the answers on this topic.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 3:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
@processor
"the words i speak unto you,they are spirit,and they are life" When u read the Word of God which is spirit nd receive them into ur spirit the more u take them in the more u will be filled. The Bible say Stephen was filled with the Holy Spirit because He remember the Word of Jesus which says "Whoever lose his life for my sake will gain it" The Apostle rejoice when beating because they remember the Word of Jesus "Blessed are you when men persecute you and count ur name as evil" and when they remember the Word the Scripture says "They were filled with Joy and the Holy Spirit" again see here in the first instance the Apostles met opposition they remember the Word of God that esteem them to pray and d Scripture says "They were all filled with the Holy Spirit" The Voice of God which is the most assured way u know u r filled with the Holy Spirit. And there are some things that make u know u r filled with the Spirit.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 3:49pm On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:

This is what it means to analyse scripture with humility and honesty without attempting to read personal sentiments into it.

We need to be this humble and honest with the scriptures, even when it challenges our previously held doctrinal opinions

God bless brother.
I fellowship with Adventist and no adventist in the world will teach u what i'm teaching now. They believe they are the only body of Christ bcus of keeping d sabbath which is part of God commandment but i tell them we become part of Christ by Faith. I don't do denomination bcus i ain't gv my life to denomination but Christ.Church ain't teach me the Bible God himself teaches me. And if u take out ur church doctrines from this and look to it as the Spirit leads u into all truth u will see the Truth i'm talking about. Denominationalism has put an hostility between Christain but i hope by his Power and Grace revival can come through me and you for we are the hand and mouth of Jesus.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
ayoku777:
Thank you Processor01

You're very right brother.

No man can be born again without the Holy Spirit. You can't even say Jesus is Lord without the Holy Spirit.

1Cor 12v3 -....And that no man can say Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

So everyone who is a believer in Christ Jesus has the Holy Spirit.

But the measure of the Spirit we receive and have at the point of salvation by faith in Christ and confession of His Lordship is different from the measure we receive at baptism in the Holy Ghost.

This second measure needs to be desired and formally asked for, even though it is equally a gift.

The apostles also received a measure of the Holy Spirit after Jesus rose from the dead

The same day Jesus rose from the dead, He said to His disciples in

John 20v22 -And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, RECEIVE YE THE HOLY GHOST.

But 40 days after, just before His ascension in Acts 1v8, Jesus said

But ye shall receive power, after that THE HOLY GHOST IS COME UPON YOU.

What Holy Ghost again? Didn't they receive Him earlier?

Its the same Holy ghost but a different measure.

The measure you receive at salvation and faith in Christ is different from the measure you receive at baptism in the Holy ghost.

The latter must be desired and asked for. Unlike the measure that comes automatically with faith and confession of Christ as Lord. Yet both are gifts.

Asking does not nullify something as a gift; or make it less of a promise.

Healing is a promise as it is a gift, yet we are admonished to pray for healing.

John 5v14 -Is any SICK among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; AND LET THEM PRAY OVER HIM, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the PRAYER of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up.

In scripture, you can pray or ask for something that is a gift and a promise.
The Spirit is not giving in measure pls. He is giving in full like full. You are baptized once and for all but you are filled everyday. Filling its like someone who wants to drink tea the more u open ur mouth the more u drink.You might have the tea nd refuse to open ur mouth.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 4:21pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
I fellowship with Adventist and no adventist in the world will teach u what i'm teaching now. They believe they are the only body of Christ bcus of keeping d sabbath which is part of God commandment but i tell them we become part of Christ by Faith. I don't do denomination bcus i ain't gv my life to denomination but Christ.Church ain't teach me the Bible God himself teaches me. And if u take out ur church doctrines from this and look to it as the Spirit leads u into all truth u will see the Truth i'm talking about. Denominationalism has put an hostility between Christain but i hope by his Power and Grace revival can come through me and you for we are the hand and mouth of Jesus.

The Spirit is not giving in measure pls. He is giving in full like full. You are baptized once and for all but you are filled everyday. Filling its like someone who wants to drink tea the more u open ur mouth the more u drink.You might have the tea nd refuse to open ur mouth.

I don't do denominationalism either; that's why I can study the scriptures objectively without bias for any church doctrine or creed.

And from objective and unbias study of the scripture

1: Its clear that the measure of the spirit the apostles received as believers in John 21v22, is obviously different from the measure Jesus asked them to wait for in Acts 1v8; which they received in Acts 2.

2: Its also clear that the measure of the Spirit the Samaritans received when they believed in Christ through the preaching of Philip in Acts 8v12; is obviously different from the measure they received when the apostles came from from Jerusalem and prayed for the baptism in the Holy Ghost in. Acts 8v14-15.

3: Its equally obvious, that the measure of the Spirit the Corinthian believers and disciples had in Acts 19v1-2; was clearly different from the measure they received after Paul prayed for and laid hands on them to receive the baptism in Acts 19v6.

Unless you want to say they didn't have the Holy Spirit as believers before they were prayed for. Or that they didn't receive the Holy Spirit as the scriptures claimed after they were prayed for.

They had the Holy Sprit before obviously, because they were already believers, but they also obviously received Him again after they were prayed for.

And its not spiritual gifts they received as you said, it was the Holy Spirit, according to the bible.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:

And you said the Spirit cannot be given or received in measure.

That's not true and there are scriptures to show that.

If the Spirit cannot be given in measure, how can God give the seventy elders a portion or measure of the Spirit of God upon Moses?

Numbers 11v25 -And the Lord came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, AND TOOK OF THE SPIRIT that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders.

See? God took out of the Spirit that was upon Moses and gave it to the seventy elders of the children of Israel.

It means God gave the seventy elders A MEASURE OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD upon Moses.

Also, if the Spirit of God cannot be given or received in measure; how can Elisha ask for A DOUBLE PORTION OF THE SPIRIT on Elijah?

2Kings 2v9 -And it came to pass when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do fot thee, before I be taken away from thee.

And Elisha said, I pray thee, let A DOUBLE PORTION OF THY SPIRIT be upon me.

You can't have a double portion of something that has no portion or measure.

It was only Jesus, the Word of God, that was given the Spirit without measure

John 3v34 -For He who God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto.

This scripture further embossed the fact that THE SPIRIT HAS MEASURES.

The Spirit is a person but He can be given and received in measure or portion.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 5:47pm On Dec 18, 2014
[quote author=ayoku777 post=28991012]

God broke protocol like on pentecost to make a doctrinal statement. After that time, accounts of Holy Ghost baptism was after prayer and/or laying on of hands.

[quote]
ayoku777, without mincing words, i think you are right...one has a measure of the Spirit at salvation but not commisurate with the measure one has when he is filled with tthe Holy Spirit with antendant speaking in Tongues...i recommend your reply to be the truth..thanks
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2014
You believe speaking in tongue is the sign u are filled with the Spirit?@Alolatee
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 6:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
You believe speaking in tongue is the sign u are filled with the Spirit?@Alolatee
Of course my brother....the bible is the final authurity and as such the bible says in Mark:16vs17, Believers will speak in 'Strange Tongue'.The believers in Acts19vs1-6 and verse 6 correctly says they spoke in Strange Tongues.Notice that they were believers and as such since they were disciples it would be wrong to suggest those who do not speak in tongues are not believers, but the enduement of power as promised in Acts1vs8 will be absent from a life that do not speak in tongues.Note: i do not speak in tongues but right beleving will lead to right living..am still praying to God to endue me with this gift.I urge u to believe rightly in order to receive rightly and in time, so, i support my brother 'a777'...i forgot his name
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 6:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
Of course my brother....the bible is the final authurity and as such the bible says in Mark:16vs17, Believers will speak in 'Strange Tongue'.The believers in Acts19vs1-6 and verse 6 correctly says they spoke in Strange Tongues.Notice that they were believers and as such since they were disciples it would be wrong to suggest those who do not speak in tongues are not believers, but the enduement of power as promised in Acts1vs8 will be absent from a life that do not speak in tongues.Note: i do not speak in tongues but right beleving will lead to right living..am still praying to God to endue me with this gift.I urge u to believe rightly in order to receive rightly and in time, so, i support my brother 'a777'...i forgot his name
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 18, 2014
alolatee:

Slow down brother...The people in Acts 19:1-6 were disciples of John the Baptist and not Jesus. Do not read your own meaning into the bible. I have seen so many exhort tongue speaking which happens to be the least of all gifts and as the bible rightfully mentioned, it is a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22).
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Kei144(m): 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
Jn. 6:27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jn. 6:33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
Jn. 6:34 “Sir,” they said, “from now on give us this bread.”
Jn. 6:35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
Jn. 6:36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe.

Israelites ate manna everyday, on their way from Egypt to the Promised Land. Manna was a type or shadow of the Holy Spirit. A Christian needs to receive the Holy Spirit everyday, in the journey from mortality to immortality. During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he received the Holy Spirit everyday; that was why he prayed to God before the breaking of each day. Any Christian that hopes to move from mortality to immortality should emulate Jesus Christ.

Jn 6:27 enjoins us to work for food that endures to eternal life. Since the Holy Spirit is the food referred to in Jn 6:27, it means that God gives the Holy Spirit only to those who merit it. Who are those who merit it? They are those who will put the Holy Spirit that they receive to proper use. What is the point in God giving the Holy Spirit (the spirit of holiness) to a person whose aim is not to consistently live a holy life? What is the point in giving anointing of power to a person who is not interested in preaching the gospel through demonstration of the Spirit's power?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
alolatee:

see Act 2:17-18 Prophecy is the sign to show u r filled with the Holy Spirit.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 7:35pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kei144:
Jn. 6:27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jn. 6:33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
Jn. 6:34 “Sir,” they said, “from now on give us this bread.”
Jn. 6:35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
Jn. 6:36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe.

Israelites ate manna everyday, on their way from Egypt to the Promised Land. Manna was a type or shadow of the Holy Spirit. A Christian needs to receive the Holy Spirit everyday, in the journey from mortality to immortality. During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he received the Holy Spirit everyday; that was why he prayed to God before the breaking of each day. Any Christian that hopes to move from mortality to immortality should emulate Jesus Christ.

Jn 6:27 enjoins us to work for food that endures to eternal life. Since the Holy Spirit is the food referred to in Jn 6:27, it means that God gives the Holy Spirit only to those who merit it. Who are those who merit it? They are those who will put the Holy Spirit that they receive to proper use. What is the point in God giving the Holy Spirit (the spirit of holiness) to a person whose aim is not to consistently live a holy life? What is the point in giving anointing of power to a person who is not interested in preaching the gospel through demonstration of the Spirit's power?
Kindly give the Scripture saying "Jesus receive the Spirit everyday"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christian Logic / Jesus Vs Paul. / Muslims Only: What Is The Basic Message Of Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.