Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,042 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? (2659 Views)

Suleman To El-Rufai: “You Are Dead Already, Ask For Date Of Your Burial" (video) / Ways Women Ask For Offering Indirectly On A Sunday Morning / Julius Malema To Visit T.B Joshua To ‘Ask For Blessings’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Kei144(m): 8:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
Kindly give the Scripture saying "Jesus receive the Spirit everyday"

Mk. 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Lk. 11:1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
Lk. 11:2 He said to them, “When you pray, say: “`Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.
Lk. 11:3 Give us each day our daily bread.

Jn. 6:27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jesus had just finished praying when his disciples asked him to teach them how to pray. Jesus couldn't have taught them any other way to pray than how he himself prayed; which is why the prayer pattern is called "The Lord's prayer". One of Jesus' prayer points is "Give us each day our daily bread". In Jn 6:27 Jesus makes it clear that his idea of bread is not physical bread and butter, but the one from heaven. The bread from heaven is the fruit of the tree of life (Holy Spirit); God is the tree of life.

1Pe. 2:21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

We are meant to follow in the steps of Jesus Christ; so, he obviously taught his disciples exactly how he prayed.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2014
Olusanya333:
see Act 2:17-18 Prophecy is the sign to show u r filled with the Holy Spirit.
just as my brother rightly said, u pray to receive the gifts of God.When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, u may not have all desired gifts of the spirit which is given through asking in prayer.The Holy Spirit is a gift just as we have the gifts of the Spirit..both are prayed for to be manifested.Prophecy is a gift of the spirit as enumerated in 1 corinthians12 and 14.Ask and it shall be given.Prophecy is never said to be the sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit...not anywhere in scripture is this surported.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2014
Processor01:

Slow down brother...The people in Acts 19:1-6 were disciples of John the Baptist and not Jesus. Do not read your own meaning into the bible. I have seen so many exhort tongue speaking which happens to be the least of all gifts and as the bible rightfully mentioned, it is a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22).

John baptised so many and as such it doesn't go beyond baptism and as such the bible did not say that it was John's disciples....They were simply men who John baptised...my friend, about the second observation, Speaking in Tongues is different from the gift of Tongues...The gift of tongues is one of the Gifts of The SPIRIT.the bible says it is not as important as other gifts because people could not benefit from it because the speaker edifieth himself.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 11:28pm On Dec 18, 2014
alolatee:

just as my brother rightly said, u pray to receive the gifts of God.When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, u may not have all desired gifts of the spirit which is given through asking in prayer.The Holy Spirit is a gift just as we have the gifts of the Spirit..both are prayed for to be manifested.Prophecy is a gift of the spirit as enumerated in 1 corinthians12 and 14.Ask and it shall be given.Prophecy is never said to be the sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit...not anywhere in scripture is this surported.
You don't ask for gift less it bcms i'm worth it. The Holy Spirit is a gift you receive at salvation. The gifts of the Spirit are distributed according to the will of the Holy Spirit so its not ur asking He supplies u when d need arise.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 11:31pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kei144:

Mk. 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Lk. 11:1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
Lk. 11:2 He said to them, “When you pray, say: “`Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.
Lk. 11:3 Give us each day our daily bread.

Jn. 6:27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jesus had just finished praying when his disciples asked him to teach them how to pray. Jesus couldn't have taught them any other way to pray than how he himself prayed; which is why the prayer pattern is called "The Lord's prayer". One of Jesus' prayer points is "Give us each day our daily bread". In Jn 6:27 Jesus makes it clear that his idea of bread is not physical bread and butter, but the one from heaven. The bread from heaven is the fruit of the tree of life (Holy Spirit); God is the tree of life.

1Pe. 2:21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

We are meant to follow in the steps of Jesus Christ; so, he obviously taught his disciples exactly how he prayed.
I ask again where is it written "Jesus receive the Spirit everyday"
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by ayoku777(m): 1:44am On Dec 19, 2014
Olusanya333:
You don't ask for gift less it bcms i'm worth it. The Holy Spirit is a gift you receive at salvation. The gifts of the Spirit are distributed according to the will of the Holy Spirit so its not ur asking He supplies u when d need arise.

I keep telling and showing you in scripture that you can ask for something that is a gift according to Jesus. You just ignore them.

Here is another scripture. Jesus talking here.

John 4v10 -Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest THE GIFT OF GOD, and who it is that saith tho thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have ASKED OF HIM, and He would have giving thee living water.

Why would Jesus want her to ask before He gives her the living water -something that is A GIFT OF GOD?

Its because even gifts are asked for. A gift is something you don't pay for, not something you don't ask for.

And as for spiritual gifts, yes the Spirit can give them as He pleases but we CAN and are also asked to covet specific gifts.

1Cor 12v30-31 -Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interprete?

BUT COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS:

And we covet earnestly through strong desire. And how is desire expressed according to Jesus in the bible? THROUGH PRAYER.

Mark 11v24 -Therefore I say unto,What things soever YE DESIRE, WHEN YE PRAY, believe that ye receive them and, and ye shall have them.

Even things received by faith are still prayed and asked for.

That we should not ask for something that is a gift is a doctrine made up by you. And too many scriptures proof your theory wrong for you to stubbornly hold on to your opinion.

The Holy Spirit (the living water) is asked for. Even spiritual gifts can be coveted and desired in prayer. And all these are according to the bible.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 8:10am On Dec 19, 2014
ayoku777:

I keep telling and showing you in scripture that you can ask for something that is a gift according to Jesus. You just ignore them.

Here is another scripture. Jesus talking here.

John 4v10 -Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest THE GIFT OF GOD, and who it is that saith tho thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have ASKED OF HIM, and He would have giving thee living water.

Why would Jesus want her to ask before He gives her the living water -something that is A GIFT OF GOD?

Its because even gifts are asked for. A gift is something you don't pay for, not something you don't ask for.

And as for spiritual gifts, yes the Spirit can give them as He pleases but we CAN and are also asked to covet specific gifts.

1Cor 12v30-31 -Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interprete?

BUT COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS:

And we covet earnestly through strong desire. And how is desire expressed according to Jesus in the bible? THROUGH PRAYER.

Mark 11v24 -Therefore I say unto,What things soever YE DESIRE, WHEN YE PRAY, believe that ye receive them and, and ye shall have them.

Even things received by faith are still prayed and asked for.

That we should not ask for something that is a gift is a doctrine made up by you. And too many scriptures proof your theory wrong for you to stubbornly hold on to your opinion.

The Holy Spirit (the living water) is asked for. Even spiritual gifts can be coveted and desired in prayer. And all these are according to the bible.
Simple understanding tell u Jesus is the Gift of God and no man one earth ask for Jesus from the Father,He gave him freely to us in the book of Genesis. So also the Holy Spirit is the Gift of God and no man on earth ask for him when He give him to us in book of Joel. Look deep to the bible and find the secrets of the Kingdom of God.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 19, 2014
Ayoku777 is on point here. Even God wants folks to draw near to him before He draws near to them. Desire is always the door bell in coveting gifts from God. God doesn't FORCE gifts on people. It runs contrary to His nature. You have to byepass a plethora of scriptures to propagate this error@Olusanya333
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 8:28am On Dec 19, 2014
Bidam:
Ayoku777 is on point here. Even God wants folks to draw near to him before He draws near to them. Desire is always the door bell in coveting gifts from God. God doesn't FORCE gifts on people. It runs contrary to His nature. You have to byepass a plethora of scriptures to propagate this error@Olusanya333
I'm talking of the root of the Holy Spirit bro. I know this has been doctrinated for years but i have come to tell the truth alone here. Look to the origin of the Holy Spirit in Joel did Joel ask for the Holy Spirit before God promise to give him out?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 19, 2014
Olusanya333:
I'm talking of the root of the Holy Spirit bro. I know this has been doctrinated for years but i have come to tell the truth alone here. Look to the origin of the Holy Spirit in Joel did Joel ask for the Holy Spirit before God promise to give him out?
Peter quoted Joel as being fufilled during th pentecost festival in Acts. There is no where in scriptures that says the Holy Ghost fell on gentiles like as a rushing of a mighty wind and cloven tongues like as of fire sat on the heads of gentiles. If there is please show me. Even that of cornelius wasn't like the 120 on the upper room. I am not saying gentiles can't receive visions.dreams and speak in other tongues like the Apostles of old. What you don't get is, it is God sovereignty to pour out His Spirit and that's is how revival comes out about like the azusa street revival in the 1900's..I have not seen the outpouring of such in recent times. If you have pls show us. As for now the baptism of the Spirit is only given by teaching the word of God concerning "tongues", earnestly desiring this gift and laying on of hands.
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 10:29am On Dec 19, 2014
Bidam:
Peter quoted Joel as being fufilled during th pentecost festival in Acts. There is no where in scriptures that says the Holy Ghost fell on gentiles like as a rushing of a mighty wind and cloven tongues like as of fire sat on the heads of gentiles. If there is please show me. Even that of cornelius wasn't like the 120 on the upper room. I am not saying gentiles can't receive visions.dreams and speak in other tongues like the Apostles of old. What you don't get is, it is God sovereignty to pour out His Spirit and that's is how revival comes out about like the azusa street revival in the 1900's..I have not seen the outpouring of such in recent times. If you have pls show us. As for now the baptism of the Spirit is only given by teaching the word of God concerning "tongues", earnestly desiring this gift and laying on of hands.
Nobody not even Paul teach tongue as baptism with the Holy Spirit but He teaches Prophecy. But that is a topic for another day. The question here is "Did any man ask from God the Holy Spirit b4 he made the promise in Joel?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 19, 2014
Olusanya333:
Nobody not even Paul teach tongue as baptism with the Holy Spirit but He teaches Prophecy. But that is a topic for another day. The question here is "Did any man ask from God the Holy Spirit b4 he made the promise in Joel?
The "120" disciples of Christ WAITED for the PROMISED Holy Spirit by TARRYING in Jerusalem. They were EXPECTANT because Jesus told them they would recieve it. The question you should have asked is why the 120? Why not all the Jews since the book of Joel never mentioned 120 to start with? Why did Peter quote the book of Joel as being FULFILLED in PENTECOST?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 12:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
Olusanya333:
you don't receive all at salvation..this is a famous write-up in a daily devotional i use.Authoured by Selewyn Hughes- Every Day With Jesus.it detailed stories of great men of God who after being saved took them months and years to be baptised in the Holy Spirit.Of particular mention is Blaise Pascal a french Mathematician and Inventor who is also known to have written a great book in the christiandom..it ends by saying if you know you have received all at salvation, why are u the way you are.why are u not turning the world upside down for Christ?...i end my case
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by Olusanya333(m): 12:18pm On Dec 19, 2014
alolatee:

you don't receive all at salvation..this is a famous write-up in a daily devotional i use.Authoured by Selewyn Hughes- Every Day With Jesus.it detailed stories of great men of God who after being saved took them months and years to be baptised in the Holy Spirit.Of particular mention is Blaise Pascal a french Mathematician and Inventor who is also known to have written a great book in the christiandom..it ends by saying if you know you have received all at salvation, why are u the way you are.why are u not turning the world upside down for Christ?...i end my case
And is Selewyn Hughes God?
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 5:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
Olusanya333:
And is Selewyn Hughes God?

Selewyn Hughes is a writer, public speaker,teacher and above all a man of God who has more than 40 years in ministry to his name.Google him please...U know what, the bible says when you have 2 and mostly 3 witnesses, the truth is established. My witness, a777(though i may not remember his full username correctly) and the witness of Selewyn Hughes should tell you what we say is right. His publication of 2008-The burning ,cleansing flame; 3rd June, titled Fire!Fire!Fire! Is where i refer to earlier...If however u are not satisfied, please ask your pastor, who i believe will toe this line of believe
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by alolatee(m): 3:46pm On Dec 23, 2014
Olusanya333:
You believe speaking in tongue is the sign u are filled with the Spirit?@Alolatee

my friend, i don't know if u asked ur pastor some of the points i raised.Please keep me in the know whenever u discussed with him and what was his reply.Thanks
Re: Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit? by mathmatica: 12:18pm On Jan 24, 2015
Olusanya333:
I fellowship with Adventist and no adventist in the world will teach u what i'm teaching now. They believe they are the only body of Christ bcus of keeping d sabbath which is part of God commandment but i tell them we become part of Christ by Faith. I don't do denomination bcus i ain't gv my life to denomination but Christ.Church ain't teach me the Bible God himself teaches me. And if u take out ur church doctrines from this and look to it as the Spirit leads u into all truth u will see the Truth i'm talking about. Denominationalism has put an hostility between Christain but i hope by his Power and Grace revival can come through me and you for we are the hand and mouth of Jesus.
....You are wrong about the adventist doctrine

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Riddle For Our Atheist Friends / Mohammed Or Jesus, Who Is The Perfect Role Model / I Dont Know Why I Always Eat In The Dream?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.