Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues (27665 Views)

Senators Push Back Against Saraki’s Intrigues, Use Of Senate To Fight,. / Intrigues Over Senate Presidency: Ndume, Ekweremadu, Adamu Eye Saraki’s Seat / Drama and Intrigues As Ayo Fayose Ran Into Fayemi, Others At A Funeral (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by LordVarys: 9:37am On Dec 18, 2014
Call it the many nights of long knives, it still may not sufficiently capture the intrigues, betrayals, sellouts and drama that typified the various meetings which ultimately culminated in the choice of a former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in Lagos State, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, as the All Progressives Congress (APC) deputy to the presidential standard-bearer of the party, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari.

With barely 24 hours to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) deadline for the submission of names of candidates by political parties, the name Osinbajo, which had been making the rounds as the alternative choice, finally got the official stamp of approval of the general to run with him on the party’s ticket.

Practically all but the last meeting convened for the choice of a running mate for Buhari had failed for one reason: the reported interest of a former governor of Lagos State and one of the national leaders of the party, Bola Tinubu, who made a poor show of concealing his desire for the job.

At each of those meetings, Tinubu, who yesterday said he turned down Buhari’s offer to be his running mate, was said to have made the emergence of a generally acceptable choice that excluded him impossible.

For Tinubu, party sources alleged that he saw his probable ascension to the vice-presidency as an opportunity to be “compensated” for his incontrovertible role in the establishment of a strong and viable APC, a move other members of the party, including the governors, had opposed on the grounds that he would be a hard sell to the Nigerian public.

To exemplify his all-consuming desire for the job, Tinubu was said to have attended one of the meetings with the South-west leaders of the party last weekend and told his audience a story of how Buhari had agreed to field him as his running mate.
According to him, all he needed was the consent of those at the meeting in writing, in order to convince the retired general that he (Tinubu) also had the support of the South-west caucus to emerge as his running mate.

Ostensibly, however, he was purported to have conjured the story following the honour accorded him by Buhari to choose the running mate and put himself forward for the position. But this, a majority of those at the meeting saw through, compelling one of governors to say if his statement was true, “Buhari has picked you,then you don’t need our signatures to get our support”.

Unfortunately for him, some of those at the meeting were uncomfortable with the fact that he wanted to get them to sign a communiqué, which he would have taken to Buhari, informing him that his people in the South-west, majority of whom are governors, had asked that he be fielded as the vice-presidential candidate. In Tinubu's estimation, the story would have been difficult to refute in order not to embarrass him nor put the party in a fix.

When it became clear to Tinubu that his people had effectively opposed his emergence as Buhari’s deputy, he reportedly broke down in tears, moaning that their stance would render him insignificant in the scheme of things if he was neither allowed the opportunity to field himself nor present a candidate of his choice.“We told him frankly: ‘Look, we love you as our oga but Nigerians don’t.' We told him we could not sell him because one, he is a Muslim and two, other issues might emerge from the woodworks that could be embarrass him and the party.“When it suddenly dawned on him that his goal was slipping from his grasp, he broke down in tears,” alleged a source, who also claimed that it was at that point everyone gave in to his demands that the post of Buhari’s running mate be zoned to the South-west and he should be allowed to pick someone else in his stead.

His despondency was further compounded after Monday’s nocturnal meeting where the parameters were clearly defined for the selection of a running mate. At this juncture, Tinubu may have thought that he had been completely schemed out and again sought the understanding of the South-west caucus of the APC to give him a soft landing by allowing him to decide who deputises for Buhari, regardless of his political baggage. With their backing, he dug deep.

[b]So while other vice-presidential hopefuls were being bandied as possible running mates, Tinubu ensured that the post of vice president never left the South-west, and made a last ditch effort to secure the position for himself.

In this regard, on Tuesday, he was said to have met with Buhari, who was at this point at his wits end with the pressure that had been brought to bear on the selection of his running mate.

Buhari, during the meeting, was said to have told Tunubu in clear terms that he would neither run with him nor accept a Muslim-Muslim pairing, adding that if he pushed it too hard, he (Buhari) might be compelled to stand down even as the party’s candidate.When Tinubu tried to make Buhari see things his way, a shouting match ensued, compelling the general to walk out on Tinubu so that the situation would not degenerate. It was against this backdrop that the former Lagos governor allegedly rushed back to his people to push for the emergence of Osinbajo.Seeing that Buhari was unyielding, Tinubu and the South-west caucus was left with no option than to unanimously back Osinbajo as the alternative option who was presented to Buhariand subsequently approved by him in order to meet today’s deadline for the submission of candidates’ names.[/b]

To political observers, Tinubu, with his overt desire, covert antics and brinksmanship, may have secured a diminished victory. But of greater significance, he has had a taste of what it means to manage and square up against the contending interests and forces at play in a truly large national party.In the days of yore, he could dictate the pace and rhythm of his more malleable, regional Action Congress (AC) and later Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN). With APC, he was shown that he can no longer pull the strings like a puppet master behind the scenes as he deems fit.With Osinbajo’s selection for the number two slot, it remains to be seen if Tinubu’s latest gamble will do his party and Buhari’s chances in the contest against the Jonathan/Sambo ticket any good. In the final analysis, the answer to this lies with the Nigerian electorate.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-Osinbajo-s-emergence-the-drama-the-intrigues/197056/

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 18, 2014
Interesting read

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 18, 2014
If Tinubu in his anger stays true to type and sells out Buhari again

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by mistabiola: 9:48am On Dec 18, 2014
Dem dey use una play politricks and una dey fall for their game plan:::: Naija don dey form mungun since 1902 cheesy grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2014
TheImp:
If Tinubu in his anger stays true to type and sells out Buhari again
He got Osinbajo so he might not be inclined to do so

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 18, 2014
SenseiX:

He got Osinbajo so he might not be inclined to do so
I guess you are right

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by busterr(m): 10:01am On Dec 18, 2014
muslim muslim pairing lolz.
tinubu seems to be selfish while buhari seems to be smart.

18 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by chronique(m): 10:09am On Dec 18, 2014
If Buhari doesn't see Tinubu as a good market,I wonder how the APC folks in the south-west can't see same.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by PapaBrowne(m): 10:11am On Dec 18, 2014
Tinubu is not a happy man. He would have become candidate if not for Amaechi and his crew.

Tinubu is a very wise man who understands politics. What he has done by presenting Osibanjo(an literally unknown person with zero political clout), is to position himself for a sellout to GEJ in order to safeguard Lagos as well as prepare for 2019 where his chances would be much higher as there would be no incumbent to deal with.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by BMZK: 10:30am On Dec 18, 2014
BUHARI will always stand for what he believes is right. No compromise against the truth.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by VirginFinder: 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2014
Poor Tinubu!
I wish he had clinched the VP ticket as a reward for all his efforts.

He'd have been a thorn in Buhari's flesh. Also, he would have enjoyed immunity from a possible Buhari probe.
Buhari sensed this and quickly made a u-turn on having him.

Now the stage is set for a sellout. I doubt he'll be successful this time.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by alakara(m): 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
PapaBrowne:
Tinubu is not a happy man. He would have become candidate if not for Amaechi and his crew.
Tinubu is a wise man who understands politics. What he has done by presenting Osibanjo(an unknown person with zero political clout), is to position himself for a sellout to GEJ in order to safeguard Lagos as well as prepare for 2019 where his chances would be much higher as there would be no incumbent to deal with.

Bros, I kept wondering what will make APC present Osibanjo with zero political clout is to sell APC out to PDP.
Tinubu doing his thing since 1914.
Kaka ki eku ma je sese a ooo fi se awada nu nii.

17 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by smartcount003(m): 2:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
Hehehehehehe...laughing in swahili. There's no smoke without fire. I smell conspiracy in all these intrigues. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by mrmetoo1: 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
So can we now move past the "Buhari is going to be someone's puppet" talking point?

16 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by petrov10: 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2014
He cried. Imagine how those eyes would have looked.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by atlwireles: 2:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
The backroom calculations of Nigerian politics. There are never winners, you must learn to give and take.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Trut(m): 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2014
Nice news
Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by theV0ice: 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2014
If it truly happened the way the narrative went, then i'm glad. very happy that Buhari once again showed he's a man who stands by his beliefs even at the risk of hurting his friends. How can Tinubu be thinking of such?

very good for APC

31 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Descartes: 2:27pm On Dec 18, 2014
Tinubu I know is a professional chess master who knows that every move on a political chess board counts grin

Time to sellout as usual and reposition his puppet for 2019 cheesy

Cogito ergo sum wink

Wisdom is a function of Humility and indeed the Principle thing cool

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by major466(m): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
When it became clear to Tinubu that his people had effectively opposed his emergence as Buhari’s deputy, he reportedly broke down in tears, moaning that their stance would render him insignificant in the scheme of things if he was neither allowed the opportunity to field himself nor present a candidate of his choice.
I must confess I laughed so hard when I saw this. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Damn this post made my day cheesy smiley

9 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
I knew it from the tone of his press release ystaday, he was definitely bittered.. Buhari has again proved that he's not a pushover..
The Voice of the people is the voice of God.. Let Tinubu sell out if he wants to...

12 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by TippyTop(m): 2:39pm On Dec 18, 2014
This just proove Buhari can't win. Tinubu is probably at Aso rock now making deals with PDP. He did the same thing with another anti corruption crusader Ribadu. Am beginning to see 2011 all over again.
And to make it very 2011, GMB picked a pastor, fellow countrymen, 2015 is going to be 2011 part2.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
Descartes:
Tinubu I know is a professional chess master who knows that every move on a political chess board counts grin

Time to sellout as usual and reposition his puppet for 2019 cheesy
He might b a professional chess master but i must tell u that APC has grown more than he ever Envisaged, its not a lagos thing where he decide who and who be the governor or chairmen in his bedroom...
Change is all we want

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Dotng: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
alakara:

Bros, I kept wondering what will make APC present Osibanjo with zero political clout is to sell APC out to PDP.
Tinubu doing his thing since 1914.
Kaka ki eku ma je sese a ooo fi se awada nu nii.
What clout does Sambo have even in Kaduna state? What clout does Amaechi have beyond Rivers? Not to talk of the deficit he will bring to the ticket as a result of the political damage awaiting him from PDP when he is announced as VP. What Buhari has done is create the balance he needs to be able to win come 2015.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by major466(m): 2:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
VirginFinder:
Poor Tinubu!
I wish he had clinched the VP ticket as a reward for all his efforts.

He'd have been a thorn in Buhari's flesh. Also, he would have enjoyed immunity from a possible Buhari probe.
Buhari sensed this and quickly made a u-turn on having him.

Now the stage is set for a sellout. I doubt he'll be successful this time.
It's easy to see. What happened in 2011 will repeat itself in 2015. Now that he lost out the vice presidential position, his next plan of action will be focused on retaining his influence in SW. Tinubu will never like the idea of losing more SW states to PDP especially Lagos State, which by the way is becoming very likely in view of the myriads of problems rocking APC in some select states.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Dotng: 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
Nairaland, there is God O! All this lie that you are sharing about your server being overwhelmed and not allowing to post topics. Meanwhile, you are opening your server to others. Continue!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Descartes: 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
olatunji21:

He might b a professional chess master but i must tell u that APC has grown more than he ever Envisaged, its not a lagos thing where he decide who and who be the governor or chairmen in his bedroom...
Change is all we want

Do you know Tinubu has the largest political structures in the present day Nigeria especially in the Southwest region?

He knows Buhari and his antecedents right from the Military era. And Buhari might attempt to tame him if he eventually climbs the Aso Rock stool.

Let's see how it goes cos this game is meant for the political wizards who are certified propagandists, blackmailers, backstabbers, grassroot mobilizers and lobbyists which Buhari and GEJ lack. embarassed embarassed

Cogito ergo sum wink

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 18, 2014
Descartes:

Do you know Tinubu has the largest political structures in the present day Nigeria especially in the Southwest region?

He knows Buhari and his antecedents right from the Military era. And Buhari might attempt to tame him if he eventually climbs the Aso Rock stool.

Let's see how it goes cos this game is meant for the political wizards who are certified propagandists, blackmailers, backstabbers, grassroot mobilizers and lobbyists which Buhari and GEJ lack. embarassed embarassed

Cogito ergo sum wink

Tinubu's influence have been extremely reduced with the surge in Buhari's popularity..He has little or no power to decide where the pendulum swings this time around.. It's not a lagos governorship election where he decides who and whogoes to this or that post...
N.B
it was glaring that GEJ was going to win the 2011 election, pple voted for him base on Pity and with an absolute trust in him, it was not because of Tinubu's sellout.. That i believe...

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Descartes: 3:11pm On Dec 18, 2014
olatunji21:

Tinubu's influence have been extremely reduced with the surge in Buhari's popularity..He has little or no power to decide where the pendulum swings this time around.. It's not a lagos governorship election where he decides who and who goes to this or that post...
N.B
it was glaring that GEJ was going to win the 2011 election, pple voted for him base on Pity and with an absolute trust in him, it was not because of Tinubu's sellout.. That i believe...

Are you kidding me? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Descartes: 3:20pm On Dec 18, 2014
cheesy cheesy
Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 18, 2014
Descartes:

Are you kidding me? undecided
Definitely not.. Now lets look this on a state by state basis.. (South West only)
OSun state voted for Ribadu irrespective of Tinubu's directive for all agent to back down in 2011..Am most certain Buhari would also nick it this time around. No Tinubu Factor
Oyo state, the Governor is still battling for his Soul here, i school in I.B, the body language of the people over here is surely in favour of Buhari..and also the incumbent has little say on this, he himself is not safe yet... No Tinubu Factor
Lagos state, surely here Tinubu call the shot but i stil believe that irrespective of Tinubu's Sellout, the general should be able to get a respectable amount of vote..Possible Tinubu Factor
Ondo State-Here Mimiko has successfully brandish tinubu as An "Ajele" who wants to impose his stooge on the state because of their oil.. No Tinubu Factor here too
Ekiti-I believe the people of Ekiti voted fayose not because fayemi has not done well but because he refused to share the money.They wanted a Man of the people which sadly Tinubu does not represent.

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo’s Emergence: The Drama, The Intrigues by ziccoit: 3:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
Osinbajo choice as a VP is another political masterstroke coming from APC. I don't know why I'm so comfortable with it.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

David Mark: I Can Die For Stability Of Nigeria's Democracy / Photo: Ambode Waiting On The Queue To Get Accredited. / Governor Adeleke Speaks After Supreme Court Judgement (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.