Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. (780 Views)

Governor Al-Makura Lying On Bug-Infested Mattress In Government School (Pic) / FFK Blast Premiumtimes And Leadership Newspaper On Twitter / Gen. Buhari’s Certificate Matter: My Viewpoint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. by mentorandfriend(m): 11:35am On Dec 18, 2014
I've heard many people argue in many quarters, arguing along the lines of what a 72 year old man can offer. I smile and pass. You see, everyone has a right to say something, but I entertain only sensible things.

Those people saying this are indirectly telling God that once they reach 72, may He take away all their sense of good reasoning, goodwill, good judgement, public service in integrity, honesty, willpower to seek change and address any prevalent social malady. That God will take away everything that makes them able bodied and able minded humans once they reach 72.

Check these out.

Albania's First Secretary, Enver Hoxha was 76 at death.

Czechoslovakia's President Gustáv Husák was 76 at his resignation.

East Germany's General Secretary and head of State Erich Honecker was 77 when he stepped down after stabilizing the nation.

Hungary's General Secretary János Kádár was 75 at stepping down.

Laos' President Nouhak Phoumsavanh was 83 at retirement.

North Korea's President Kim Il-sung was 82 at death.

Romania's General Secretary and later president, Nicolae Ceauşescu was 70 at end of service.

Vietnam President Trường Chinh was 80 at retirement after guiding the nation out of slum living and poverty.

Yugoslavia President, Josip Broz Tito was 87 at death.

Georgia's Vasil Mzhavanadze was president at 70.

What of some U.S. senators? Strom Thurmond, a U.S. senator from South Carolina , left office
at age 100 after almost half a century in the Senate, while Robert Byrd of West Virginia was born in 1917 and served in the Senate from 1959 to his death in 2010. Have you looked up the ages of John Kerry, Harry Truman, George Bush Snr, and all US secretaries of state from times I cant remember?

In the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, the government headed by M. Karunanidhi, the state's chief minister was 87 years old.

In India, West Bengal, Shri Jyoti Basu , was 86 years old when he stepped down from the office of chief minister of the state. But he continued to remain a member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of India.

The Monti government had the highest average age in the western world (64 years), with its youngest members being 57.

The Italian prime minister, Mario Monti was 70, his predecessor, Silvio Berlusconi was 75 at the time of resignation (2011).

The Italian president Giorgio Napolitano was 88 and his predecessor Carlo Azeglio Ciampi was 86.

What of University professors? Members of American and British Parliament? Judges of the United States courts? Pope Paul VI? Pope John Paul II? Roman Catholic Cardinals? Joseph Smith Jr? Margareth Thatcher? Archbishop Desmond Tutu? And Nelson Mandela?

I can't stand all these arguments anymore. It irritates me.
AS FOR ME, I SHALL STILL BE PRODUCTIVE AT 100, IF JESUS CHRIST TARRIES. Shikena. Fact based debates are better, not age did this, age did that.

Now that you know...
Re: In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. by HarkinromardeY(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2014
If someone is still in power till his 70s and 80s when will the youth be given opportunity? Or have u forgotten we're the leader of tomorrow?
Re: In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. by mentorandfriend(m): 12:10pm On Dec 18, 2014
HarkinromardeY:
If someone is still in power till his 70s and 80s when will the youth be given opportunity? Or have u forgotten we're the leader of tomorrow?
I only have an aversion to people who think that age means anything in quality leadership and representation. And besides, nothing stops you from forming a party and contesting under your own party. It is your constitutional right to vote and be voted for. But.... Is your candidacy sellable to the masses. Have you stamped your name yet on the heart of the people? What is your pedigree and what have you achieved yet? You see? Focus on serving the masses first and stop waiting for who will give you opportunity. Your work will speak for you if people are satisfied with your achievements. Then you can contest. Cheers.
Re: In Government And Leadership, Age Does Not Really Matter. My Thoughts. by mikolo80: 12:33pm On Dec 18, 2014
HarkinromardeY:
when they stop typing online and attend political party meetings instead of bitchingg and moaning all the time waiting for leadership to fall in their laps

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Pictorial Summary Of GEJ Core Challenge / Get Voter Cards, Kumuyi Urges Deeper Life Member / Time To Show You're Buhari True Supporter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.