Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,993 members, 7,803,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing - Investment (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing (31992 Views)

You Can Be Very Prosperous In This Country Nigeria / Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List / Wealth Building Guides To Make 2014 A Prosperous Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by motherlode: 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2014
Afejoy:
all these mallams just keep decieving themselves. Yes Nigeria needs change but if u are able to properly use ur brain u will realise buhari is not the kind of change we are talking about. I'm not a fan of Jonathan but I will rather give him my vote

Then you must be one of those mallams deceiving themselves grin
Nigeria as a country needs a government of quality and not of quantity. By the grace of God me and you will live to experience the positive Change cheesy just vote for Buhari you will never regret it, he is the man capable to restore the pride of Nigerians and Nigeria itself. wink
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by gidjah(m): 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2014
Prodeegee:
What were u xpectin
we expect this nation nigeria to be top on that list sir.THIS NATION CAN VIRTUALLY FEED EVERY Other nation on vict list quote me any where.na corruption do big ojoro!
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Prodeegee(m): 8:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
gidjah:
we expect this nation nigeria to be top on that list sir.THIS NATION CAN VIRTUALLY FEED EVERY Other nation on vict list quote me any where.na corruption do big ojoro!

Lol...u kiddin ryt?

Pls tell me ure kidding

2 Likes

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by iamord(m): 8:06pm On Dec 18, 2014
DonDiego:

Oga, you failed to address the essence of my post, choosing instead to sidestep it. Why isnt Egypt or Kenya or Angola on that list regardless of whatever the criteria are? Botwana topping the list isnt a particular surprise to me because I have always known their strides over the years in meeting and even surpassing several of the UN Development Goals. I still ask: why Burkina Faso and why not Egypt?
I said it all in my previous post to answer that you have to know what points the poll organizers picked their rankings. Besides. Egypt is still unstable. So data from there at this point in time my not bbe accurate or shady
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Wallie(m): 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
NgwaManNaija4LF:

If this list is from any western nation,then forget it because I have no respect for them. Proudly Nigerian.

Let me get this straight - you have a problem with western nations ranking Africans against other Africans? Would you rather have them rank us against other western nations?

Are you also saying you have a problem with anything originating from western nations? If so, I suggest you eliminate 99.9999% of things you use or come across daily because it probably originated from them, especially if you live in a big city.

What you should be concerned about is bias. In this case, the report is there for you to read and if you sense bias, go ahead and post specific examples. Just don’t throw blanket statements out there. Specifically, what in the paper do you have a problem with?

3 Likes

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by motherlode: 8:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
kenex4ever:
I know dat dis is d kind of news u agents of darkness wants 2 b hearing. CNN is a biased media house

I am never an agent of darkness because God created me as a light which shows the right path to my generation wink. And also i would like to tell you CNN is never a biased media house, it is you who don't want to listen to the truth because the truth is hard to believe. cheesy
" the truth is bitter,but lies are sweet " you feed on lies which are sweet it can cause pile ooo grin better feed on the truth and you will never regret it wink
In addition, Corruption is the major factor behind Nigeria's omission on the list!. Let's wage war against it! smiley
Vote Buhari. Vote Osinbajo. Vote Change. Come 2015
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by allcomage: 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
fredola77:
And.... Egypt is not on the list but Rwanda is!
Abeg make them park well angry

Rwanda is up there,my friend.You don't know how low we have sunk.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Harmony10: 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
hisikke:
Haa, 2bad 4 Nigeria ooo, The Giant of Africa.

If I hear Giant of Africa!!! All of us here in Nigeria are just deceiving ourselves by the sheer abundance of resources (pple and natural) that we have. I keep arguing with people all the time that stop claiming that we are a rich nation. We may have the resources quite all right but does it impact on our lives. Look at our roads, market, dirty garages, rickety public transport, poorly built universities. Nothing inspires you. Abeg we should stop blowing our trumpet and get down to work.

2 Likes

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Ironi: 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
lokoloko84:
Thank you.Sometimes you wonder how Nigerians think.
They are bunch of shameless patriots with no common sense whatsoever.
Anybody against this list is insane.A country riddled with corruption, insecurity, poor infrastructures couple with bad leadership
Nigeria is a failed state,it is as simple as that.

Thank you too.

I can see a lot of low thinking Nigerians making noise here.

A country of immense resouces with a population of 180M with 80% living in abject poverty, can not by any stretch of imagination be said to be prosperous.

Between, corruption, lawlessness and voilence (BH) actually makes Nigeria a failed state.

Some think building a couple of roads here and there and a few fancy high rises makes you prosperous.

The list up there is complete.

3 Likes

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by kenex4ever(m): 8:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
motherlode:

I am never an agent of darkness because God created me as a light which shows the right path to my generation wink. And also i would like to tell you CNN is never a biased media house, it is you who don't want to listen to the truth because the truth is hard to believe. cheesy
" the truth is bitter,but lies are sweet " you feed on lies which are sweet it can cause pile ooo grin better feed on the truth and you will never regret it wink
In addition, Corruption is the major factor behind Nigeria's omission on the list!. Let's wage war against it! smiley
Vote Buhari. Vote Osinbajo. Vote Change. Come 2015
and who are the corrupt nigerians? Are u and buhari not included? Has buhari been cleared of all his corruption charges? Guy no go there o.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by akoaki(m): 8:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
lokoloko84:
Thank you.Sometimes you wonder how Nigerians think.
They are bunch of shameless patriots with no common sense whatsoever.
Anybody against this list is insane.A country riddled with corruption, insecurity, poor infrastructures couple with bad leadership
Nigeria is a failed state,it is as simple as that.

You just spoke my mind. I wonder what nigerians are made of. Some animals are more intelligent than many nigerians. What a pity.

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Ironi: 9:03pm On Dec 18, 2014
gidjah:

Hehehehehe, are you a retard?

Has Nigeria finished feeding Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by craix(m): 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2014
Is not a surprised thing.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by gidjah(m): 9:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ironi:

Hehehehehe, are you a retard?

Has Nigeria finished feeding Nigerians?
undecidedi do not expect dumb and poor minds to fanthom what my lines meant.i have good out of the shores of this continent,i have bin in this nation for decades.most of the nations paraded on that list can not match in wealth and resources with this Gods own nation Nigeria.once again ,na Corruption do ojoro big time.and come 2015,GMB and his group will bail us out of this evil nest of mr corruption
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by AzontoGhost(m): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2014
slymichael:
Who is CNN. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. Nigeria is excluded from d list yet tmrw all dis listed countries will come assistance from us. I love Naija die. GEJ til 2019. GMB til Jan 2015 angry grin
that is why I didn't take them serious when they came up with the ACCENT issues...
love your country die as I love mine "live" cheesycheesy
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by PRODUTIM1(m): 9:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
Enter front page again mheenn! Merry xmas in advance 2 nairalanders.Ur names will not be MISSING from those that will see 2015 in Jesus name.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 18, 2014
motherlode:
Why won't it be missing when Nigeria has a corrupt government? We need change in this country? We don't want a govt that will borrow lots of money in dollars for long term projects that might not be completed in their tenure, we don't want a govt that borrows money to buy stoves( for whom? ), we don't want a govt that is ready to fight for power at expense of the lives of many Nigerians, we don't a govt who can't protect our lives, we don't want a govt which GOOD is scarce and BAD is plentiful in the country undecided.
We need change, vote for BUHARI. He is capable of restoring the pride of Nigerians and Nigeria itself by the grace of God cheesy. GEJ out, BUHARI in. grin

Oya go and live in 'prosperous' Rwanda and Burkina Faso naw....

Fact is in most of those countries on that list, a lot of moaners here including yourself, couldn't spend one night in, before hollering to be shipped back to NIGERIA.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
musicwriter:
You're guaranteed electricity in each of the mentioned countries.

THAT'S A BLOODY LIE. 80% of countries on earth experience power shortages and inadequate access to electricity. It is an illiterate myth that Nigeria alone has power issues. Only the few 'developed' nations have full power access. MOST NATIONS ON EARTH ARE DEVELOPING STATES.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by emmatok(m): 9:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
ROSSIKE:

THAT'S A BLOODY LIE. 80% of countries on earth experience power shortages and inadequate access to electricity. It is an illiterate myth that Nigeria alone has power issues.

LOL
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2014
Locapito:
am not surprise at all. Tell me any country that plant tomatoes and does not have a plant for TINNED TOMATOES. Tell me any nation that has fisheries everywhere but still imports SARDINE & GEISHA Mention any country that plants corns in all its region and imports CANNED SWEET CORN. Which other country do u know where cows obstruct vehicular traffic in all the state capital cities but still imports CANNED BEEF.

WHAT STOPS YOU FROM SETTING UP A SMALL FACTORY TO do PRECISELY WHAT YOU'RE SUGGESTING, THEREBY INCREASING THE VALUE OF THOSE PRIMARY PRODUCTS? People like INNOSON and DANGOTE, who do precisely that, do they have two heads and you one? Who are you criticizing? Is it government's job to build you tinned tomato factories? SOME OF YOU DON'T THINK BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by musicwriter(m): 10:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
ROSSIKE:

THAT'S A BLOODY LIE. 80% of countries on earth experience power shortages and inadequate access to electricity. It is an illiterate myth that Nigeria alone has power issues. Only the few 'developed' nations have full power access. MOST NATIONS ON EARTH ARE DEVELOPING STATES.

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by friendlyadvice: 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2014
PRODUTIM1:
Nigeria name is missing from the CNN just released Africa 10 most prosperous nation. According to the latest report, Bostwana top the list. The research were based on the criteria ranging from economics to education to health.

The full list are
1.Bostwana
2.South Africa
3.Morocco
4.Namibia
5.Tunisia
6.Algeria
7.Ghana
8.Rwanda
9.Burkina Faso
10.Senegal

http://cnn.it/1zzdd3W
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by ikweremilitant: 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2014
motherlode:
Why won't it be missing when Nigeria has a corrupt government? We need change in this country? We don't want a govt that will borrow lots of money in dollars for long term projects that might not be completed in their tenure, we don't want a govt that borrows money to buy stoves( for whom? ), we don't want a govt that is ready to fight for power at expense of the lives of many Nigerians, we don't a govt who can't protect our lives, we don't want a govt which GOOD is scarce and BAD is plentiful in the country undecided.
We need change, vote for BUHARI. He is capable of restoring the pride of Nigerians and Nigeria itself by the grace of God cheesy. GEJ out, BUHARI in. grin
a good preacher with d wrong sermon.
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by friendlyadvice: 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
PRODUTIM1:
Nigeria name is missing from the CNN just released Africa 10 most prosperous nation. According to the latest report, Bostwana top the list. The research were based on the criteria ranging from economics to education to health.

The full list are
1.Bostwana
2.South Africa
3.Morocco
4.Namibia
5.Tunisia
6.Algeria
7.Ghana
8.Rwanda
9.Burkina Faso
10.Senegal

http://cnn.it/1zzdd3W

I'm not surprised that nigeria isn't on the list
-The Nigerian common man can join energy and resources to establish investment clubs to help promising nigerians become entrepreneurs and employers of labour
-The Nigerian common man can join energy and resources to find cleaner and more efficient sources of electricity to solve the epileptic power supply problem
-The Nigerian common man can join energy and resources to establish art and theatre clubs that can develop the quality and content of our entertainment sector
-The Nigerian common man can join energy and resources to establish consumer protection agencies to protect consumers, provide feedback to local producers and promote local products
-The Nigerian common man can even lobby and influence gov't policies for the common good
But instead they go to church to pray for miracles without work,they engage in APC and PDP senseless rivalry,they rant about how bad nigeria is at newspaper stands,nairaland and radio shows, they blame all their woes on gov't and take out their frustration on petty criminals

Even though its king solomon that is president of nigeria, we will still not be on that list #Fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by musicwriter(m): 10:28pm On Dec 18, 2014
ROSSIKE:

What do you know about those nations?. Electricity is not an issue to a Ghana company, for instance. Ghana have so much electricity that they export electricity to neigbouring countries like to Togo republic and Benin republic. Sometime ago I heard Nigeria was in some talks with the Ghanaian government to tap light from Ghana as well.
I don't even want to mention Botswana cause that country is already doing better than many eastern European countries. Electricity is guaranteed in each of the mentioned countries. Go and do your research bro.

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by Wallie(m): 10:43pm On Dec 18, 2014
musicwriter:

...Electricity is not an issue to a Ghana company, for instance...

Here's the honest truth....

Nigeria can't be directly compared to most African countries because we face unique challenges due to the size of our population that will make solutions that work in other less populous countries a waste of time/resources over here. You simply cannot just say we should scale up the same solutions; however, when we compare Nigeria to other countries with the same population figure, we are woefully lacking. How does Nigeria compare to Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Russia? Not favorable by almost any measure.

Brazil 203,601,000
Pakistan 188,437,000
Nigeria 178,517,000
Bangladesh 157,502,000
Russia 146,300,00
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by 14(m): 11:00pm On Dec 18, 2014
iliyande:

We are proud being Nigeria but inside we are suffering grin.

one honest nigerian, give this guy a bells.

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by musicwriter(m): 11:14pm On Dec 18, 2014
Wallie:

Here's the honest truth....

Nigeria can't be directly compared to most African countries because we face unique challenges due to the size of our population that will make solutions that work in other less populous countries a waste of time/resources over here. You simply cannot just say we should scale up the same solutions; however, when we compare Nigeria to other countries with the same population figure, we are woefully lacking. How does Nigeria compare to Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Russia? Not favorable by almost any measure.

Brazil 203,601,000
Pakistan 188,437,000
Nigeria 178,517,000
Bangladesh 157,502,000
Russia 146,300,00

You have a valid point but only to an extent. What I was talking here is comparing Nigeria to other countries as regards electricity supply.

Population isn't an excuse not to provide electricity.

Ok, let me use your own method of analysis.

China population, about 1.3 Billion.
USA population, about 380 Million.

How do you then argue that population is an excuse not to provide electricity to Nigerians?.

This bring us back to my original point that without science+technology there will be no development. These countries have only done this because they have invested in science and technology. This's what I was trying to point out at first not what you're are arguing.

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by 14(m): 11:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
Wallie:
You guys ever wondered what the criteria to the rating were?

1. Economy
2. Entrepreneurship & Opportunity
3. Health
4. Education
5. Governance
6. Safety & Security
7. Personal Freedom
8. Social Capital

How well do you think Nigeria fares in any criterion listed above? grin

NONE

2 Likes

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by myhero4eva: 11:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
Nigerian govt... Its a criminal act to put nig in d list. Until they stop deceiving themselves by claiming d giant of African when they r giantly corrupt entity. They tend to paint themselves white before d commity of nations when at home they thick black. Let them tell themselves d truth and work on their shortcomings

1 Like

Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by AzontoGhost(m): 11:51pm On Dec 18, 2014
musicwriter:

What do you know about those nations?. Electricity is not an issue to a Ghana company, for instance. Ghana have so much electricity that they export electricity to neigbouring countries like to Togo republic and Benin republic. Sometime ago I heard Nigeria was in some talks with the Ghanaian government to tap light from Ghana as well.
I don't even want to mention Botswana cause that country is already doing better than many eastern European countries. Electricity is guaranteed in each of the mentioned countries. Go and do your research bro.
my bro,for sometime now,electricity in Ghana is like a cup of salt in a reservoir...but I trust we shall get out of it soon!
Re: CNN's 10 Most Prosperous African Countries, Nigeria Missing by blackfase(m): 11:58pm On Dec 18, 2014
You sure about that?....pls check that fifa list by feb 2015 ending if Nigeria will be anywher among the first 12 in Africa. Naija falling off the pecking order in every spheres since independence......

hydeekam:
^^^^ You shouldn't be expecting Nigeria to be among the top 10. but if you insist you want to know where Nigeria is check Fifa ranking! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wahala dey / Can I Buy Shares With 5,000? / GtBank & First Bank Dividends In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.