Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,796 members, 7,798,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? (2097 Views)

IT Outsource Opporrtunity For IT Professionals / Software Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by dammytosh: 11:51am On Dec 08, 2008
If there are professional software developers in Nigeria, why do big organizations outsource their main software projects to foreign companies ?

Lets discuss.

"Programmers alone Pleaaaazeeee"  cool
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by candylips(m): 12:25pm On Dec 08, 2008
Probably because they feel local guys are not good enough
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by yawatide(f): 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2008
1) Possibly because of 419 issues.

2) Could also be that unlike in other countries, we have laws *that we don't enforce*. In other words, why risk giving the job to a local person who might bail on you when for a little extra, I could have someone else do it elsewhere for me?

3) Maybe because it is cheaper. Many jobs have left the US for India, China and even Nigeria on account of this wink

4) Possible tax incentives

5) Maybe because they don't feel the local guys are professional enough

6) Maybe because we have more "companies (as in individuals whose offices are in their briefcase)" as opposed to companies.

The list goes on and on
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by candylips(m): 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

6) Maybe because we have more "companies (as in individuals whose offices are in their briefcase)" as opposed to companies.

This is so true . I know a couple of guys like that. You see them carrying backpacks with 1000 cds all about lagos.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by dammytosh: 2:58pm On Dec 08, 2008
candylips:

This is so true . I know a couple of guys like that. You see them carrying backpacks with 1000 cds all about lagos.

please can u clarify that statement ?
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by kayboy2: 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2008
:/
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by dammytosh: 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2008
kay boy:

Hi 2 u all, the best way for one to raise money in this festive season is my doing work at home business and if u need that i am capable of givin u .
This latest oppryunity that iam about to give u involves so many things lik data entry,online surveying,proof reading,writing of articles etc. honestly if u order for this package u will get bonus lik how to change ur ip address,how to get us address and us phone no. the package is highly explosive.
act fast to because it is just for limited time.
To order pay some of N3500 in to the following acct:
acct name:Zakariyau Azeez Kayode
acct no:9024435611590 (GTB)
text ur payment details to 08078157521 and ur package will be sent 2 ur e-mail address within 12 hrs by god's grace
see u at the top as u don't relent and in ur persverance to make it online.
Another reason is that a lot of Nigerians don't use their brains. Can u imagine this poster (kay boy) working on a software for ur company ? undecided
dumb ass. angry
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by yawatide(f): 5:15pm On Dec 08, 2008
LOL dammy, you took the words right out of my mouth smiley

Please add the following to my list above:

7) probably because we don't code to specs ( I say this in light of kay's post.  Kay's post has "kay" leg  cool)
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by OmniPotens(m): 5:25pm On Dec 08, 2008
I choose and think No.7 of yawa's post is even more reason.

Most programmers just base on what they'd learned in the past and don't care to learn more. This makes their developments not able to stand to the test of time. Before you understand what is happening, the API is already out of bid. Why? Old specs and nothing of the new or latest specs. Funny enough, plans are not even made for future maintenance and as such, will take almost the same time it took to programme the version 1.0 to do version 2.0 even 1.2 tongue
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by Bossman(m): 5:48pm On Dec 08, 2008
There could be several reasons. I am not sure if there are large IT companies in Nigeria that are using any king of "Methodology" for their software development. Requirements gathering, Physical and Logical design, use case reviews, etc. are very important parts of the software development process. However, it could be that most of the IT shops in Nigeria just do not follow any of these.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by gamerod: 5:50pm On Dec 08, 2008
who told you that all big companies outsource their programming jobs abroad?

You think and reason like a pig in the lion's den.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by candylips(m): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2008
Methodology can be very difficult to comprehend for some of these guys
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by tomX1(m): 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2008
Two reasons I can easily deduce are:

1). These foriegn companies have probably solved such problems in the past and a client might feel it's pointless commissioning the project to a local developer who while being smart enough to handle the job will probably waste a lot of time reinventing the wheel when the foriegn firms will simple dig into their vast archives and reuse existing codes thus saving time and money.

2). If a local developers program were to crash and your company looses a lot of money in the process could such sums be recovered from them even via a sucessfull law suite? Most of our local firms just don't have the financial muscles to deal with such scenerios thus a client will prefer to outsource big budget projects to firms that will be able to deal with the financial consequencies that may result from failure of their "solutions".
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by rancetech(m): 10:14pm On Dec 08, 2008
@yawa
U're just so funny, I just can't stop laughing.

Keep em comming.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by Afam(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2008
Most companies are more comfortable with foreign companies because quite a number of local companies have caused a lot of pains to a lot of businesses in Nigeria, as simple as that.

I have seen a lot of web projects that don't make sense, don't solve any problems, in fact some of them actually hurt the very brands they were meant to protect or improve.

We have a lot of talkers and braggers with little or nothing to show for it.

It will only get worse and for good reasons too.

The web is not the same thing as the print media where artistes pose as customers and smile at you to make you like a product. The web is task oriented and until quite a number of web developers realize this many businesses will continue to have bad experiences with their web projects that are most times full of meaningless images and irrelevant stuff.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by yawatide(f): 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2008
Afam, you brought up a good point. It reminds me of how angry I felt when I heard that execs of the phone companies were flown in from their respective countries, as opposed to those companies using local talent. when I asked, i was told, "wat else do you expect from us nigerians? na we do ourselves"

pitiful!
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by dammytosh: 9:25am On Dec 10, 2008
game_rod:

who told you that all big companies outsource their programming jobs abroad?

You think and reason like a pig in the lion's den.

@game_rod : why not just read the post and leave. Must u post ?

Through out the post , did u see any statement like "All [/b]Big Companies " ?
I have been part of the teams that designed and implemented software projects for "[b]SOME BIG ORGANIZATIONS
" in Nigeria.
If u don't understand the post just sit down and watch while experienced guys post something much more reasonable.

@All Other Posters: Great Work ! i am learning and reasoning with u guyz
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by mrperfect(m): 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2008
Our people always belief that foreign guys are better than Local guys.
For example I was discussing with one Bank official asking him who did their Intranet.
which he said is from india Company, which I asked could be that no company can handle that here?
His response was: "because of the competition in the industry every company want to go for the best".
Now you can understand what I mean above.
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by A40(m): 1:10am On Dec 28, 2008
Its about packaging and the fact that most of this so-called companies have a bias for anything foreign its a Nigerian Syndrome although one would have to admit that most of these foreign software peeps do a more thorough job
Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by davidt(m): 10:31am On Dec 28, 2008
Well, most big companies outsource their programming jobs to companies abroad for the same reasons we would rather buy a product manufactured abroad rather than buy a locally manufactured product.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Big Companies Outsource Their Software Projects? by yawatide(f): 8:50pm On Dec 28, 2008
davidt,

Yours, IMHO, is perhaps the best response to this thus far. I never thought of it that way cool

(1) (Reply)

Best Mobile Application Development Companies In Nigeria / Vb6 Encryption/decryption Of A Program. / New Cool: Javascript Css Selector "yapinator" Faster Than Sizzle: Peppy: Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.