Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,919 members, 7,799,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? (6222 Views)

Must One Be A Worker In Church Before One Can Serve God Effectively / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by damiso(f): 1:02pm On Dec 08, 2008
Before anyone attacks me about not having the holy spirit, i do.Its just that i have had the opportunity to work with so many people in church and have realised that since it is also a gathering of humans,there tends to be so much hypocrisy and politics(ie sis lagbaja said this,bro tamedu did thatetc).I work with the teeenagers and also volunteer for some other duties but i do not want to join a dept.Reason being i have been there and i dont want to be invovled in all the stuff that goes with that again.My main purpose of going to my Father's house is to seek and serve him and i dont want to be distracted by all the politics that goes on(believe me it is worse than the parliamnet).This made me make up my mind to seek God and not humans in my new church(just moved to join my hubby).

The thing is everyone in church is beggining to look at me like a sinner,I had someone call me aside yesterday to start lecturing me on why i[b] MUST[/b] join a dept.I told him,that i feel it should be something the spirit leads you to do and that i did not have that leading.I pointed out to him that i volunteered on stuff and that i really wanted to expand on working with teenagers,but he just kept on going on and on about me becoming a worker.I really wanted to tell him to lay off me but trust people to start saying i insulted a deacon.I am in a dilemma.Pls does not joining a department in church make you a sinner and not being spirit filled?Why do they make it seem like the only way that the only way you can serve God is by being a worker?I know workers who are workers in church but their life outside of church is ahem,
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Olumitide(m): 3:06pm On Dec 08, 2008
May the Lord lead your genuine heart to where you will best serve Him. Many people feel as you do, that hypocrisy lies at the very heart of churches, and it is overrun with politics and pretext .
Keep praying and asking the Lord to lead you. He is faithful and will surely do so. Didn't Christ meet with hypocrisy and religiousity in his day? It's not new. Don't be discouraged.

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by MrCrackles(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2008
no!!!
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by JeSoul(f): 4:50pm On Dec 08, 2008
damiso:

Before anyone attacks me about not having the holy spirit, i do.Its just that i have had the opportunity to work with so many people in church and have realised that since it is also a gathering of humans,there tends to be so much hypocrisy and politics(ie sis lagbaja said this,bro tamedu did thatetc).

this is why a lot of people have become disenfranchised with the church. My sister you have the right heart and the right mind in this - let the Holy Spirit lead you, and don't be intimidated or persuaded by the fleshy leanings of men. Being a church worker does not make you more or less holy, one might not even work within the four walls of a church at all but yet be deeply involved on the streets and community centers serving and volunteering - it all depends on where God has called you.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 08, 2008
Judas was a church "worker".
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by gamerod: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2008
@Poster

Dont you know that sex and foking in the church is now the order of the day? with your backside like that of satan, many brother tamedus in the church will be examinig the size of your po ssie in their head during the preaching session, so, the only way to avoid this is to join a department, there you can realy see cute guys, become close to them, and indeed fulfil you life long dream of foking one of the greatest looking dudes in the world - yin grab?
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by damiso(f): 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

@Poster

don't you know that sex and foking in the church is now the order of the day? with your backside like that of satan, many brother tamedus in the church will be examinig the size of your po ssie in their head during the preaching session, so, the only way to avoid this is to join a department, there you can realy see cute guys, become close to them, and indeed fulfil you life long dream of foking one of the greatest looking dudes in the world - yin grab?

No I dont grab.

@ other posters,thanks for ur contributions.I have just realised as i have grown in my faith is that the church is one place where you sometimes have to have the conviction to stand your ground on issues(esp if u study the word and see that ur in right standing,have learnt always to seek what the bible says and not always rely on my pastor said) but boy is it hard.At least once a month,there are sermons,directly or indirectly attacking those who dont belong to a dept,with words like'if u dont deposit in the bank acct of heaven,how can u withdraw from' and so many other talks to make those if us who dont belong to depts feel alienated and less holy.

I have a passion working with teenagers as i can relate with them being that i made alot of mistakes back then which i feel counselling would have made an imapct.I therefore want to reach out to these youths and be a role model they can actually relate to it without all the adult,holier than thou airs and forgive me if i feel that 'working' in church is not the only way to make an imapact in on them and society as a whole.

There are so many things that i feel should be between u and ur God and are turned into objects of showing off and seeking approval from the elders.This something i am trying to avoid esp as some church people always get all up in ur business so as to have a topic for the next gossip session.I have a few friends in church prob 2 or 3 and i intend to keep it that way.This does not mean that i bear grudges with anyone,love everyone with the love of God,just dont want to be caught up in the whole hierachy,backbiting,holier than thou attitudes that i have managed to observe from far.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by gamerod: 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2008
damiso:

No I don't grab.

@ other posters,thanks for ur contributions.I have just realised as i have grown in my faith is that the church is one place where you sometimes have to have the conviction to stand your ground on issues(esp if u study the word and see that ur in right standing,have learnt always to seek what the bible says and not always rely on my pastor said) but boy is it hard.At least once  a month,there are sermons,directly or indirectly attacking those who don't belong to a dept,with words like'if u don't deposit in the bank acct of heaven,how can u withdraw from' and so many other talks to make those if us who don't belong to depts feel alienated and less holy.

I have a passion working with teenagers as i can relate with them being that i made alot of mistakes back then which i feel counselling would have made an imapct.I therefore want to reach out to these youths and be a role model they can actually relate to it without all the adult,holier than thou airs and forgive me if i feel that 'working' in church is not the only way to make an imapact in on them and society as a whole.

There are so many things that i feel should be between u and ur God and are turned into objects of showing off and seeking approval from the elders.This something i am trying to avoid esp as some church people always get all up in ur business so as to have a topic for the next gossip session.I have a few friends in church prob 2 or 3 and i intend to keep it that way.This does not mean that  i bear grudges with anyone,love everyone with the love of God,just don't want to be caught up in the whole hierachy,backbiting,holier than thou attitudes that i have managed to observe from far.

It is true, you have to belong to a group or you are not serving God publicly, open service is a requirement, not a closed service, you grab? Service is not just going to sit down and bench warm, you have to also serve the Lord with your might, either become a driver, a sunday school teacher, part of the people who tidy up the chuch b4 or after service, you just have to belong to a group.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by damiso(f): 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

It is true, you have to belong to a group or you are not serving God publicly, open service is a requirement, not a closed service, you grab? Service is not just going to sit down and bench warm, you have to also serve the Lord with your might, either become a driver, a sunday school teacher, part of the people who tidy up the chuch before or after service, you just have to belong to a group.

So i just have to even when my spirit does not lead me to? so that i can[b] publicly [/b] show that i am serving God?Does public service then equal true service?please i am not in anyway castigating workers because i know Nlanders and their anaylis,they wiil start saying that i said being a worker in church is bad, am just saying that i do not want to join the organised structure.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2008
damiso:

No I don't grab.

@ other posters,thanks for ur contributions.I have just realised as i have grown in my faith is that the church is one place where you sometimes have to have the conviction to stand your ground on issues(esp if u study the word and see that ur in right standing,have learnt always to seek what the bible says and not always rely on my pastor said) but boy is it hard.At least once a month,there are sermons,directly or indirectly attacking those who don't belong to a dept,with words like'if u don't deposit in the bank acct of heaven,how can u withdraw from' and so many other talks to make those if us who don't belong to depts feel alienated and less holy.

that is why it is especially important that each christian be conversant with the bible rather than relying on pastors. There is no such nonsense found in the bible. Judas was the treasurer of the disciples while brother Thomas was a confirmed doubter YET we know how both ended.

When the bible talks of "laying up for urselves treasures in heaven" it doesnt mean volunteer work at your local redcross or your church. Of course it is good to help out in church, during the time i served in Nigeria i was a member of the choir and bible study group . . . it helped me immensely in my personal work with God. Those who couldnt be a part of the various fellowship departments for personal reasons werent any worse off.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by gamerod: 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2008
@Davidylan

Each time I read your posts, you remind me of the goat that ate bread near my house and there was no water for her to drink, and started runnin helter skelter with the bread hooked to her throat, and she is all over the place saying breaaad, breaaad, throooaat, hoookkeed.

Your analysis are so mind boggling, dik raising, and pu ssie wetting, to say the list.

So you are saying the Bible did or doesnt advocate service? So what does it mean to serve the Lord with all your might? might in the physical, what does might mean? praying? clapping? or what?, tell me o before i fok your wife.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by damiso(f): 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2008
]
davidylan:

that is why it is especially important that each christian be conversant with the bible rather than relying on pastors. There is no such nonsense found in the bible. Judas was the treasurer of the disciples while brother Thomas was a confirmed doubter YET we know how both ended.

When the bible talks of "laying up for urselves treasures in heaven" it doesnt mean volunteer work at your local redcross or your church. Of course it is good to help out in church, during the time i served in Nigeria i was a member of the choir and bible study group . . . it helped me immensely in my personal work with God. Those who couldnt be a part of the various fellowship departments for personal reasons werent any worse off.

unfortunately bible study group is not an organised dept.i love bible study as it does improve one's walk with God.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by JeSoul(f): 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

It is true, you have to belong to a group or you are not serving God publicly, open service is a requirement, not a closed service, you grab? Service is not just going to sit down and bench warm, you have to also serve the Lord with your might, either become a driver, a sunday school teacher, part of the people who tidy up the chuch before or after service, you just have to belong to a group.
 Please can you kindly attach the book, chapter and verse in the bible where this requirement for belonging to a church group is?

damiso:

So i just have to even when my spirit does not lead me to? so that i can publicly show that i am serving God? Does public service then equal true service? please i am not in anyway castigating workers because i know Nlanders and their anaylis,they wiil start saying that i said being a worker in church is bad, am just saying that i do not want to join the organised structure.
Well said.   Mt 6:1 Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by damiso(f): 5:41pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

@Davidylan

Each time I read your posts, you remind me of the goat that ate bread near my house and there was no water for her to drink, and started runnin helter skelter with the bread hooked to her throat, and she is all over the place saying breaaad, breaaad, throooaat, hoookkeed.

Your analysis are so mind boggling, dik raising, and pu ssie wetting, to say the list.

So you are saying the Bible did or doesnt advocate service? So what does it mean to serve the Lord with all your might? might in the physical, what does might mean? praying? clapping? or what?, tell me o before i fok your wife.

I think your posts are very contradictory,rude and vulgar.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by tpia: 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by gamerod: 5:44pm On Dec 08, 2008
when the bible says serve your God with all your might - what does "might" mean? is might not in the physical?

All of you have gt twisted diks and pu ssies.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by tpia: 5:46pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by MrCrackles(m): 5:51pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

when the bible says serve your God with all your might - what does "might" mean? is might not in the physical?
All of you have gt twisted diks and pu ssies.

Your stupidity and level of buffoonery are unmatched

You should be ashamed of your gobby mouth as well as your old as.s self!!

Idiot!!!!

POSTER

No, it is not the only way to serve God!
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 08, 2008
The danger in all these church work is that much of it does not edify the body of Christ at all . . . you all just become part of a close knit social club.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by JeSoul(f): 5:55pm On Dec 08, 2008
MrCrackles:

Your stupidity and level of buffoonery are unmatched

You should be ashamed of your gobby mouth as well as your old as.s self!!

Idiot!!!!
  Posts like game_rod's are good for one thing: Ignoring.

tpia:

many church members and leaders have been wired to insist the only way to serve God is by being a worker.
  A daggone shame.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by gamerod: 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2008
empty fools, trying to convince us it is not good to serve God,

David, Crackles, etc, with all your posts on the sexuality section, one wonders if you know anything more than sex, and you come here trying to talk on something you dont know about, saying him used to be in the choir, hahaha, choir in the sex land abi? Stupid buffons.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by chika98: 11:29pm On Dec 08, 2008
game_rod:

empty fools, trying to convince us it is not good to serve God,

David, Crackles, etc, with all your posts on the sexuality section, one wonders if you know anything more than sex, and you come here trying to talk on something you don't know about, saying him used to be in the choir, hahaha, choir in the sex land abi? Stupid buffons.

And this is the way you have decided to serve God??

No. . being a worker in church isn't the only way to serve God. We are so misguided. It is unbelievable.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Backslider(m): 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2008
@poster

Just as being a worker is the easiest way to be a member of Hell so it is very good to serve Good in LOCAL Church. however we need to serve God in 3 aspect

1) Service to man Kind

As a citizen of a nation do the right thing
help the aged
Sacrifice for the weaker ones

This has got nothing to do with being a xtian

2) Service to God

This include
personal evangelism
Prayer and fasting
Teaching
Raising disciples of the word of God

3) Service to Local Church

Sweeping
Serving iin the church
Singing
Ushering

All this is done with no expectation of nothing on earth and in HEAVEN.
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by software(m): 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2008
No it is never the only way to serve God,
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by KunleOshob(m): 10:21am On Dec 10, 2008
Biblical instructions for serving God:

James 1:27:
27 Pure and genuine worship in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

Matthew 25:35-40:
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40[b] “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[a] you were doing it to me!’[/b]
Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by Ebonyj(f): 3:50pm On Dec 12, 2008
Damiso,

I feel you. Although I am a member of the choir I am beginning to think I should leave and just concentrate  on serving God in other ways. I find that the so-called social gatherings that are organised by christians tend to be filled with gossip and backbiting,and I sometimes find myself participating it both consciously and unconsciously( I THEN GET HOME FEELING VERY GUILTY I have come to realise that there are so many ways of serving God aside from being a worker in the church. You can serve God with your money by helping the needy. You can stay behind and clean up the church, help with decorating the church, you can work with the children without being part  of the childrens team, you can even take a day out a week or a month by dedicating it to praying for the pastors, and the the spiritual growth of the church.

It is well my sister, I know you have a good heart , please do whatever the Holy Spirit directs you to do, don't let anybody force/blackmail you into doing anything the Holy spirit has not put a stamp on.

SHALOM!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? by slimfine(f): 3:50am On Dec 18, 2008
God knows us individually and knows what we can and cannot do. Many people have family and full time job that they take care of and some people have less burden than others. how ever little we can contribute to the church we go to and do it cheerfully, it brings glory to God. Remember that God love a cheerful giver. It doens't have to be money, it could be through helping our brothers and sister or services we render to our churches. So if you gonna join many group in the church and sweep all the compounds, it will be to no avail if you do it grudgingly!!

cheers

(1) (Reply)

Physcical Bodies Dwelling In Spiritual Heavens - Viaro, Lets Chat It Through. / Nigerian Pastor Engages Evil Spirit In A Bizarre Deliverance Session (photos) / Why You Should Accept Jesus Christ Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.