Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,174 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son (1661 Views)

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Revealed: The Bible Says God Did Not Create Man. / Why Call Pastors "Father" When The Bible Says We Should Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 10:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
When the bible says that God gave his only Son, it seems like God is sacrificing something. How can he sacrifice something if he owns space, time, and existence, and is the master of life and death?

What is the sacrifice if His Son would return to Him anyways?

First: In the infinite time span of God, isn't a few hours of pain (even to a temporarily weakened son) meaningless when He has been around for infinite years billions of years into the past and always will be? The Son returned anyways. What sacrifice is there?

Second: "Only Son" is often emphasized. He is God. If He wished to overflow his Divinity eternally into multiple Sons and Daughters, begotten not made, as a divine Union of 10 or 100 parts, rather than 3 - He could have. This is treated as if God was subject to the unfortunate circumstances of having:

1. Only one Son
2. Had to sacrifice that only One Son.

Therefore, He loves us so much

When the reality is - what can the King of Heaven and Earth sacrifice anyways? All returns to Him and all belongs to Him. And second, if He wanted to have more Sons, and overflow his Divinity into them in pre-eternity assuming this "sacrifice" event meant something, He could have.

At no point did God lose anything, even for a moment. The Owner of Existence can't lose anything. Doesn't this make the entire thing kind of...meaningless? I just don't get it.

Source
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2014
GOD is just, HE won't punish the innocent for the sins of another or multitude. as Jesus was or is the son of GOD, so am i too, I am a beloved son of GOD. there is no twisting this fact any ways.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by finofaya: 10:43pm On Dec 18, 2014
What it means is that God is very clever.

You see, God wanted a son and ordinary man would not do, even though we are called children of God. We all know that the only way to get a son is through childbirth. So God did the virgin and got himself a son.

Now, after the birth of Jesus, both man and Jesus needed to know who was more important to God. So God came up with a plan to sacrifice Jesus for man so that man would feel important, and to have Jesus take away the sins of man so that Jesus would feel important.

We all feel important now and everybody is happy.

undecided
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by quatum: 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
But some said since are inheritable!
gatiano:
GOD is just, HE won't punish the innocent for the sins of another or multitude. as Jesus was or is the son of GOD, so am i too, I am a beloved son of GOD. there is no twisting this fact any ways.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 10:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
It seems Jesus forgot, He did not take the sins out. The sins of today is so freaky in nature that if Jesus should come , He will tell GOD "wrong destination Father, i meant earth, not this planet sin" GOD will laugh, They thought you took their sins away, they want to escape judgement and punishments that follows. Men think that they're smart.

finofaya:

You see, God wanted a son and ordinary man would not do, even though we are called children of God. We all know that the only way to get a son is through childbirth. So God did the virgin and got himself a son.

Now, after the birth of Jesus, both man and Jesus needed to know who was more important to God. So God came up with a plan to sacrifice Jesus for man so that man would feel important, and to have Jesus take away the sins of man so that Jesus would feel important.

undecided
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2014
Can you say differently? We are born into the world of sin and we are shaped by sin. do not get me wrong, marital sex and procreation is not atall a sin. the sin starts after we are born into this world. so i conclude that we inherit the sins of this world.
When a baby is born, A God is born, with him came all the basic knowledge of life, most important of that knowledge is the study of self and the questioning of the way things are. So one can say, a baby is smarter than the aged in today's world. The baby knows his GOD, who is his/her Mother and Father in rear cases. It is the same father or mother that will introduce to their child or children into doctrines which they the parents have no knowledge about. Hasn't the child inherit the sins of his fathers? inheritance is what is given to a next of kin or children from a parent or guardian.

quatum:
But some said since are inheritable!
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by handsomebolanle: 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
At first I should let you know [b][/b]Jesus is the [b][/b]BegoTten son.. the sonship of Jesus is the divine exact image of God but operating in th flesh... right God has nothing to loose, however he respects His principle of a need for sacrifice. and he takes his Words most important.. We couldn't have been called son because there is a need for redemption since Adam fell.. but not.. for God so love us, He has sacrificed himself in form of flesh, that we could all be redeemed to eternal life...

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 11:59pm On Dec 18, 2014
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! omo eniyan! First, GOD possessed Mary (accused 1), Then Mary got pregnant( accusing GOD of doing something 2), Then GOD forsaked Jesus (accuse 3) and now GOD came in Jesus, killing Jesus in body (accuse 4), now GOD sacrificed himself. When GOD finally comes back, I hope you people won't crucify him.

Africans/Blackmen and Blackwomen. do you know that the blackman's brains is 1.5 ounce more than the whiteman's. it means we should have better ways and more capabilities of doing things. Why can't we for a second think? is what you have stated mathematically correct or hollywood correct?
handsomebolanle:
At first I should let you know [b][/b]Jesus is the [b][/b]BegoTten son.. the sonship of Jesus is the divine exact image of God but operating in th flesh... right God has nothing to loose, however he respects His principle of a need for sacrifice. and he takes his Words most important.. We couldn't have been called son because there is a need for redemption since Adam fell.. but not.. for God so love us, He has sacrificed himself in form of flesh, that we could all be redeemed to eternal life...
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by finofaya: 6:59am On Dec 19, 2014
gatiano:
It seems Jesus forgot, He did not take the sins out. The sins of today is so freaky in nature that if Jesus should come , He will tell GOD "wrong destination Father, i meant earth, not this planet sin" GOD will laugh, They thought you took their sins away, they want to escape judgement and punishments that follows. Men think that they're smart.

Yeah. Jesus couldn't take our sins away if he died a million times. What he should have done is take our free will away. I'm surprised he and his daddy don't know this.

God can be outwitted.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 10:24am On Dec 19, 2014
Keep em coming.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
GOD can't be outwitted, GOD would not punish someone for another person's crime, that would have been injustice. Jesus died for the ressurection of the mentally dead, not for nobody's sins.
finofaya:

Yeah. Jesus couldn't take our sins away if he died a million times. What he should have done is take our free will away. I'm surprised he and his daddy don't know this.

God can be outwitted.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by An2elect2(f): 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
gatiano:

Jesus did not die for everybody .You mock what you do not know?
God is Wisdom. The whole world is allowed to wallow in gross darkness for the Sons of God through Christ Jesus to shine as light and as true witnesses of God.

The Shepherd lays down His for HIS SHEEP!
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 4:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
Indeed, yes! you are right and i have not a single arguement about what you just wrote. Truely, Jesus did not die for all, He died for the ressurection of the mentally dead/the sheep. Nobody would have been able to kill Jesus if he wasn't ready to lay down his own life because he knew that He was almost 2000 years too early, thus He said One would come in my name, this does not mean Jesus of 2000 years ago. And like i said, you are right. Who are this mentally dead and the sheep?

An2elect2:

God is Wisdom. The whole world is allowed to wallow in gross darkness for the Sons of God through Christ Jesus to shine as light and as true witnesses of God.

Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by An2elect2(f): 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
gatiano:
Indeed, yes! you are right and i have not a single arguement about what you just wrote. Truely, Jesus did not die for all, He died for the ressurection of the mentally dead/the sheep. Nobody would have been able to kill Jesus if he wasn't ready to lay down his own life because he knew that He was almost 2000 years too early, thus He said One would come in my name, this does not mean Jesus of 2000 years ago. And like i said, you are right. Who are this mentally dead and the sheep?

Jesus died for the sins of His elect. We who were once estranged from God through one man's disobedience are being reconciled back to God and have obtained forgiveness through the remission of Christ Jesus' blood.

The consequence of sin is death. When Adam sinned he died instantly. A spiritual death(separated from God) and consequently the physical death.

Christ took upon Himself our sin and we obtained His righteousness. 2cor5:21.

What we suffered(and some of us still suffer) is spiritual death not mental death

huh? Jesus is the judge of the world and would come back again to judge all men.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by gatiano(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2014
In explanation for the 2000 years before time, Matt 8: 29-30 -
8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

8:30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.

8:31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
As you can even see, the devils are not always far off their swines. So one may ask before what time? Jesus knew the understanding of that time, but He did not know when precisely. so One is to come in his name, to understand that perhaps one must know what the name Jesus means.
An2elect2:

Jesus died for the sins of His elect. We who were once estranged from God through one man's disobedience are being reconciled back to God and have obtained forgiveness through the remission of Christ Jesus' blood.

The consequence of sin is death. When Adam sinned he died instantly. A spiritual death(separated from God) and consequently the physical death.

Christ took upon Himself our sin and we obtained His righteousness. 2cor5:21.

What we suffered(and some of us still suffer) is spiritual death not mental death

huh? Jesus is the judge of the world and would come back again to judge all men.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 10:47pm On Dec 19, 2014
gatiano:
embarassed embarassed embarassed

All I can say about this post is Jesus is lord.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
finofaya:

undecided
Now that has left me even more confused, it was like you were speaking in other tongues
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2014
handsomebolanle:
At first I should let you know Jesus is the BegoTten son.. the sonship of Jesus is the divine exact image of God but operating in th flesh... right God has nothing to lose, however he respects His principle of a need for sacrifice. and he takes his Words most important.. We couldn't have been called son because there is a need for redemption since Adam fell.. but not.. for God so love us, He has sacrificed himself in form of flesh, that we could all be redeemed to eternal life...
@ Emboldened, remaining post rendered moot and irrelevant.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by ManhunterTM(m): 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
An2elect2:

I'm going to politely say, you are not making any sense. Read the initial op.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by An2elect2(f): 11:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
ManhunterTM:
I'm going to politely say, you are not making any sense. Read the initial op.

Wellundecided i quoted someone's post.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by An2elect2(f): 11:38pm On Dec 19, 2014
gatiano:
In explanation for the 2000 years before time, Matt 8: 29-30 -
8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

8:30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.

8:31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
As you can even see, the devils are not always far off their swines. So one may ask before what time? Jesus knew the understanding of that time, but He did not know when precisely. so One is to come in his name, to understand that perhaps one must know what the name Jesus means.

So what's your point pls?
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by An2elect2(f): 12:36am On Dec 20, 2014
ManhunterTM:
When the bible says that God gave his only Son, it seems like God is sacrificing something. How can he sacrifice something if he owns space, time, and existence, and is the master of life and death?

What is the sacrifice if His Son would return to Him anyways?

First: In the infinite time span of God, isn't a few hours of pain (even to a temporarily weakened son) meaningless when He has been around for infinite years billions of years into the past and always will be? The Son returned anyways. What sacrifice is there?

Second: "Only Son" is often emphasized. He is God. If He wished to overflow his Divinity eternally into multiple Sons and Daughters, begotten not made, as a divine Union of 10 or 100 parts, rather than 3 - He could have. This is treated as if God was subject to the unfortunate circumstances of having:

1. Only one Son
2. Had to sacrifice that only One Son.

Therefore, He loves us so much

When the reality is - what can the King of Heaven and Earth sacrifice anyways? All returns to Him and all belongs to Him. And second, if He wanted to have more Sons, and overflow his Divinity into them in pre-eternity assuming this "sacrifice" event meant something, He could have.

At no point did God lose anything, even for a moment. The Owner of Existence can't lose anything. Doesn't this make the entire thing kind of...meaningless? I just don't get it.

Source

I purposely ignored this post and headed for the comments cos i sensed subtle arrogance in it. Unfortunately, the comments were disappointing except one.

Whenever people bring up the issue of "why did God do it this way?" i shake my head for how foolish they sound.undecided Is there not a difference between God and man? One is the creator and determiner of all things the other is a creature made from clay. The Creator makes everything for His pleasure. He ordains all things and declares them to be. He is God! God, that is enough reason to stop grumbling every time and start seeking for understanding of Him and His ways.
He is no respecter of any one! He has every right of Himself to do as He wants! He is God!

By only begotten son the scripture simply means God robed in flesh. Jesus was not just having the Spirit of God in Him(like redeemed children of God), He was the fullness of God in flesh. This was not an ordinary man!
God humbled Himself by taking up the nature of man. The creator of the whole world came to this wicked world and dwelt among men but they world rejected Him. The creature rejected the creator! Did He suffer in the hands of men? yes! did they kill Him? yes! He died a shameful death. Did they know that that was God? No! He died for 'our' sins. Without shedding of blood there can be no remission of sin! God ordained it this way. The sinless must die for the sinner for God demands a blameless one for a sacrifice. Only God meets that requirement.

And why the Son still returned since He was sacrificed? straw man. The bone of contention is that He was sacrificed. If God sees that as a sacrifice perfect and satisfying? who cares about your view point of how the sacrifice should have been.undecided
You are smarter huh?

God became 'a part' of His creature through Jesus Christ.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by finofaya: 4:26am On Dec 20, 2014
ManhunterTM:
Now that has left me even more confused, it was like you were speaking in other tongues

Expect more confusion. It is difficult to understand God. Try opening your spiritual eyes; that may help a little
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by handsomebolanle: 9:54am On Dec 20, 2014
Thanks... I just thought you should have corrected that smiley... loose
ManhunterTM:
@ Emboldened, remaining post rendered moot and irrelevant.
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by handsomebolanle: 9:59am On Dec 20, 2014
smiley I get you... you will understand well when you have fully grasp the understanding of God's personality... thr trinity..
gatiano:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! omo eniyan! First, GOD possessed Mary (accused 1), Then Mary got pregnant( accusing GOD of doing something 2), Then GOD forsaked Jesus (accuse 3) and now GOD came in Jesus, killing Jesus in body (accuse 4), now GOD sacrificed himself. When GOD finally comes back, I hope you people won't crucify him.

Africans/Blackmen and Blackwomen. do you know that the blackman's brains is 1.5 ounce more than the whiteman's. it means we should have better ways and more capabilities of doing things. Why can't we for a second think? is what you have stated mathematically correct or hollywood correct?
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by tpiar: 12:37am On Dec 23, 2015
Re: What Does It Mean When The Bible Says God Gave His Only Son by sonmvayina(m): 1:28am On Dec 23, 2015
E no go better for the oyinbo people wey do this kind thing to us..one important aspect of spirituality is common sense..when you dont have it...ur as dead as a wood...The people that brought us this bull sh*t has since moved on..we are still argueing about ''son'' or "daughter" ...why exactely do we not want to accept the fact that jesus was a roman invention...i just wonder..

(1) (Reply)

Are Things Really Getting Worse In The World? / Statue Of Liberty Stands (photo) / To Those That Think Pastors Shouldn't Seek Justice In Court By Enwongo Cleopas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.