Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,906 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ (14150 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah's Mocked Coffin Carried By Ihiala People Over Mass Rigging / Three Arrested Over Mass Purchase Of PVCs In Niger State / Group Petitions Military Board, INEC Over Buhari's Certificate Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by lalasticlala(m): 12:00am On Dec 19, 2014
Some sets of identical twins and other multiple births in the country have called on President Goodluck Jonathan to intervene in stopping the mass discrimination against them by the Independent National Electoral Commission’s biometric system.

They alleged that currently about 1,000 sets of identical twins in the country have been denied their Permanent Voter Cards due to failure of the INEC’s biometric machines to distinguish their identities.

Joint Presidents of United Twins and Multiple Births for Transformation in Nigeria, Akpos Mamuzee-Dixon and Andos Mamuzee-Dixon, who are themselves twins, addressed journalists in Abuja on the problem on Thursday.

Other sets of twins, who said they were facing similar problems, attended the press conference.

Akpos and Andos are musicians and actors. According to them, while Akpos has got his PVC, Andos was not given because of the inability of INEC’s biometric machine to distinguish them.

In their letter dated November 25 and addressed to the INEC chairman, Prof. Atahiru Jeega, they threatened to institute a N1bn law suit against INEC “if within 14 days from the date of your receipt of this letter, you fail, refuse to carry out our modest demands.”

But they said all their attempts to get remedy, including the letter they wrote to Jega through their lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), had yielded no result.

Akpos said, “When we got to the point of our registration in Wuse Zone 7, Akpos presented his Temporary Voter Card, and they found his name on the list and they gave him his PVC. But when it was my turn, they said they could not find my name on the list despite providing my temporary card. They asked to search for my name in other centres. We did but we could not find my name.
“We were then asked to go to Karu. When we got to Karu a woman who was an INEC official told us that when they saw the pictures of the two of us and they decided to keep one of the cards on the assumption that it was the same person who was being fraudulent by registering twice.”

They said each or both of many sets of twins in the country have been denied their PVCs and would be likely disenfranchised if urgent step was not taken.

“Is it now a crime to be twins? I have no apology for being a twin or being identical with my twin. President Goodluck Jonathan must intervene in this. The essence of biometric system is to distinguish persons. If INEC machine cannot distinguish us as different persons then, with due respect, INEC has failed.”

Akpos and Andos have threatened to sue INEC as the commission had failed to respond to their letter dated November 25, 2014.

They called on INEC to immediately provide Andos his PVC to enable him perform his fundamental and civil obligation as enshrined in Section 12(1) of the Electoral Act, 2011.

In the letter written on their behalf by Ozekhome’s law firm, the twins further demanded N20m as compensation for the trauma, psychological depression‎ and feeling of societal rejection they have been made to pass through with the denial of Ando’s PVC.

http://www.punchng.com/news/identical-twins-threaten-to-sue-inec-over-mass-disenfranchisement/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by ALKARULEZ615(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2014
Mary Slessor tinz grin

Lafflaff123 ....why?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by saaedlee: 12:03am On Dec 19, 2014
I always knew there was a glitch in the system, as I witnessed a similiar incident in Kogi State.

2 Likes

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 19, 2014
t
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by dre11(m): 12:06am On Dec 19, 2014
This one serious oooo

So, the thing can't recognize the difference between taiwo and Kehinde finger prints
With the kin money spent on the purchase of the machine.......

How many twins will the thing deffrenchaise before the election time selfundecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Obynobyl(m): 12:37am On Dec 19, 2014
I'm also a twin
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by PerfumeRepublik: 1:02am On Dec 19, 2014
saaedlee:
I always knew there was a glitch in the system, as I witnessed a similiar incident in Kogi State.

Inec needs to upgrade ,Electronic Voting machines would solve this issue

1 Like

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by missterious(f): 1:36am On Dec 19, 2014
Okay, first of all, if I ever have twins, I'm naming them Akpos & Andos. Hot names grin
Secondly, twins have an organization?? For why?? It's discrimination, we "single borns" should have an organization too.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by freezyprinzy(m): 4:02am On Dec 19, 2014
missterious:
Okay, first of all, if I ever have twins, I'm naming them Akpos & Andos. Hot names grin
Secondly, twins have an organization?? For why?? It's discrimination, we "single borns" should have an organization too.
said my mind buh i tot d finger print of identical twin are different..

6 Likes

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Lamexx(m): 4:20am On Dec 19, 2014
Na today
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by mistabiola: 5:16am On Dec 19, 2014
I was planning to do the same, INEC officials can be so annoying at times::: If you see how they got me queueing like say na money they wan give us cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by SirElaw(m): 6:52am On Dec 19, 2014
lalasticlala:

Joint Presidents of United Twins and Multiple Births for Transformation in Nigeria, Akpos Mamuzee-Dixon and Andos Mamuzee-Dixon, who are themselves twins, addressed journalists in Abuja on the problem on Thursday.
Like WTF!!!

Be prepared, the joint presidents would be endorsing a candidate anytime from now.

Sai Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by lekhane(m): 6:53am On Dec 19, 2014
Seriously, INEC needs to be upgraded, Nigeria is more developed than what we have in INEC
Why must we register at every election time, why not have a good database management?
Is it only facial recognition that INEC is using to identify us? What happened to our finger prints and signatures?
INEC needs to do better!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:54am On Dec 19, 2014
Seriously?
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Poindexter: 6:56am On Dec 19, 2014
The only thing Nigeria seems to be getting right is the practice of corruption. Despite the billions spent on simple basic programs, successive govts do their best efforts in fumbling and messing them up.

Big for nothing Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Temysteve(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
dis is really bad...Nt their fault anyway
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by condralbede(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
let me knw when they won....But apart from their facial resemblance,I thought identical twin don't even hv d same thumb print.so y nah INEC?
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by holatin(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
INEC: A failed sector.

Imagine inec saying there lose data of over 500 thousand people in my neighbourhood.

I haven't hear of silly excuse like dat in my life.

Some place in Lagos, dey came once till date.

Dat system need to be wash and rinse.

A beg vote for the messiah of our time
He is not God
But he is God sent
Vote buhari for President
Vite buhari for change

1 Like

Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
And---as usual--- the Nigerian Govt goes out of its way to purchase the cheapest, most useless, nonfunctional piece of junk machine it can find in the market.
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by freakcin: 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
If I remember correctly, I thumb printed during voters registration (no human fingerprint are the same, identical twin or not). Is it that that machine couldn't decipher that or what? undecided
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by scarffield(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
lafflaff123:
aunty mumuna...dix guy needs help!
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by mmmustapha(m): 6:58am On Dec 19, 2014
They should go and do another registration at different places.
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by omenka(m): 6:59am On Dec 19, 2014
I see Jonathan looking for a waay to edge Jega out of INEC before the general elections.
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by okpismart: 6:59am On Dec 19, 2014
wahala dey o. This is identical twins wahala. You no go blame INEC naw. dem no plan for this kain thing grin grin grin

SHOCKING: 2 sentenced to death for stealing fowls in Osun
Source: e reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/odd-news-reports/item/2280-shocking-2-sentenced-to-death-for-stealing-fowls-in-osun
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by Innodon(m): 7:00am On Dec 19, 2014
I'm not a twin....how does it concern me ?
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by zyonpendrahgon: 7:02am On Dec 19, 2014
That awkward moment, when you expected the likes to be more than the shares but.... ;Dmama sikiru, this akami sef
donstevico:
hmm....

like if you are in support of buhari.share if you are for gej
Re: Identical Twins Threaten To Sue INEC Over Mass ‘disenfranchisement’ by lymelyte(m): 7:07am On Dec 19, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking!!! Aisha Buhari Arrested In Washington (photos) / Imo Has Over 160 Oil Fields —AIPMD / Soludo Inspects Nine Roads At Okpoko-Ogbaru Measuring 14.053km

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.