Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,480 members, 7,801,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says (818 Views)

2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic / Jonathan - No Nigerian To Die Of HIV Henceforth / Widow, Daughters Die Of Food-Poisoning In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by lalasticlala(m): 3:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
A professor of stroke medicine at the King’s College, London, Anthony Rudd, has said that there is already an epidemic of cardiovascular disease in Nigeria with 170 people dying of stroke everyday in the country.

Prof Rudd stated this in Abuja yesterday at a lecture organised by the Stephen James’ Stroke Centre of Excellence in collaboration with the SURE-P project, saying that globally, 80 persons die per hour from stroke.

He said, “It will get worse if there is no coordinated approach to prevent it. Two-thirds of the Nigerian population are affected by stroke, making it one of the worse affected countries in the world.”

But the good news is that 80 per cent of stroke cases can be prevented by avoiding sedentary lifestyle, improving our diet, avoiding cigarette and alcohol and early diagnosis.

“With the advantage of becoming an affluent country, Nigerians have the disadvantage of going down with hypertension which accounts for 83 per cent of all stroke cases in the country. People usually mistake stroke for heart attack but stroke which is a disturbance of blood supply to the brain is actually a brain attack and can happen to anyone”.

source: http://leadership.ng/news/396348/170-people-die-stroke-nigeria-everyday
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by herald9: 3:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
White men always predicting doom for Africa...

170 people die everyday of strokes and I haven't seen one...

I must be in Congoundecided
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
Make I settle here!

Front page is a must. grin
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by englishmart(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2014
how many strokes of canes do they receive that is capable of killing them?
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by PerfumeRepublik: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
herald9:
White men always predicting doom for Africa...

170 people die everyday of strokes and I haven't seen one...

I must be in Congoundecided

The Doctor might not be exactly accurate, but he's closer to the truth.
These numbers are pulled using simple statistical Data. It could be higher ,that's adding people that do not have access to hospitals and other infrastructure from which data was pulled from
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by HonourablePomk: 4:37pm On Dec 19, 2014
170 * 365=65050 How come i haven't seen 1 Rubbish Statistic
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by thorpido(m): 4:38pm On Dec 19, 2014
How this man from London come know say na 170people for Naija dey die of stroke?Him just give percentage to our population.

On a more serious note,there is an increase in stroke cases in the hospitals.More young people are having hypertension nowadays.The thing about stroke is many patients only find out they are hypertensive when they present with the stroke.

When last did you check your blood pressure?
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by herald9: 4:53pm On Dec 19, 2014
PerfumeRepublik:

The Doctor might not be exactly accurate, but he's closer to the truth.
These numbers are pulled using simple statistical Data. It could be higher ,that's adding people that do not have access to hospitals and other infrastructure from which data was pulled from

Bros leave that thing...

The main disease killing people in Nigeria is poverty.
If the government puts more effort in improving the standard of living of it's people... They wouldn't be dying of imaginary strokes.
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by dre11(m): 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
170 a dayshockedshockedshocked

I don't believe what Mr stroke says, because I have a suspicious that he had some partial stroke of the ideas before he came with this conclusion.

Because what kills faster here is povertylipsrsealed
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by Morkavictor: 5:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
Professor of stroke.lmao
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by lalasticlala(m): 5:29pm On Dec 19, 2014
Morkavictor:
Professor of stroke.lmao

hahahahaha
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by CzarRex: 8:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
Professor of stroke..Wow I wuld love 2 bcome 1grin
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by Funjosh(m): 8:54pm On Dec 19, 2014
Stroke! Stroke!! Stroke!!!
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by Smily202(m): 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by mistabiola: 5:27am On Dec 20, 2014
Nothing we no go hear cheesy grin
Re: 170 People Die Of Stroke In Nigeria Everyday’- Professor Of Stroke Says by jacabi(m): 7:07am On Dec 20, 2014
This is serious!

(1) (Reply)

6 Tips For Eye Health And Maintaining Good Eye-sight / Heart Palpitation / Possible Cure For Mouth Odour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.