Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter (48557 Views)

Nigeria’s UN Mission Embarrasses President Buhari - Sahara Reporters / Thug Embarrasses Tinubu During Accreditation / Doyin Okupe Blasts Buhari Again On Twitter – Nigerians Fires Back – Read Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by sabdaz: 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
Let the APC relax on their campaigne. I feel PDP is doing enough for both parties and as it stands, they favour APC than their party.
Too much of everything is bad. Okupe and AbATI talk to much........

3 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by MizMyColi(f): 8:57pm On Dec 19, 2014
majekdom2:
its actually an embarrassment because okupe needs not to bring this issue again, its a bad campaign strategy..... It's always hard trying to correct one's known flaws .... Remi oyo who served during objs tenure was a different personality as compared to this man who claims he was born with a silver spoon but can't speak fluently even on media. He should learn to be professional .

ok.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Solowande:
U call those bull dogs dat bark but can't bite progressive? how old is Buhari?
how old is john Kerry ... Not supporting Buhari , but this should not be an issue on who to become president.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by TheMadame(f): 9:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
If a PHD holder does not know that stealing is corruption,then he should go back to all the schools he attended and ask for a refund.
Vote wisely,your vote is your power.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
tuborme:
get your dictionary....the president is a university don....he makes deep statements not suitable for motorpark politicians.
do you know who a Don is , how many internationally acknowledged articles have been written by the president

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by cupidhero(m): 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
So many dumb posts in one thread. Did a mental institute give their patients phones to log into NL and reply a post which will be used to check their current mental state? Nairaland is now home to the cheapest and most fooolish paid shills in the world currently. rubbish!
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
1Nairaboy:
Stealing is Corruption but Corruption is not Stealing so then what is Corruption? Corruption is the act of impairing integrity, virtue, or moral principle, the state of being corrupted or debased, loss of purity or integrity, depravity, wickedness, impurity, bribery. If somebody stole ur item, wld u go to the police nd report to them ur item has been corrupted, or u'll rather say ur item/car has been stolen.. pls don't be silly both re nt completely same
the question asked was about govt officials and not the common man on the street.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
Amacaco:
Ask any lawyer and he will tell you there is a difference between corruption and stealing. Charge a man for stealing instead of corruption and you are bound to fail. In the same vein if you charge a thief with corruption, you are bound to lose the case. Corruption is corruption in law and stealing is stealing in law. You cannot use one for the other. Jonathan was being strictly legalistic which I believe was wrong for a politician of his status.
pls stop supporting poo... Manslaughter, murder comes under what.. We talking govt officials not the regular street boys.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 19, 2014
sabdaz:
Let the APC relax on their campaigne. I feel PDP is doing enough for both parties and as it stands, they favour APC than their party.
Too much of everything is bad. Okupe and AbATI talk to much........
exactly , I have not heard the opposition talk as usual , perhaps the VP issue is a reason. GEJ and his aides better be calm if not the opposition will keep picking on thier flaws.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by hogunzy(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
"stealing is not corruption"see Hw they twist law to favour themselves.for that statement you are already corrupt

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by wiseguy(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
mikeansy:

So eventhough in terms of technicalities of English language "Stealing is not corruption" may be wrong. I understand the sentiments behind the argument. There is some truth in it.
What goes on in public offices in Nigeria is stealing but in most developed countries you have corruption in public offices!

Corruption is like a common name to many acts that are morally wrong. Simply put stealing is an act of corruption. Any thief is simply corrupt. The word corrupt simply means that something or somebody has a behaviour outside the norm. It is not normal to steal. So the persons behaviour or mannerism has been corrupted and the person can even be said to be morally corrupt. So whether you stole money, goods, use your position to get favors, etc. All are forms of corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by cupidhero(m): 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2014
Even those claiming okupe is dumb has proved they are dumber. Being born with a siver spoon does not make one a silver-tongued fellow. PDP and APC shills should check their shills before they recruit. If we must be deceived the least APC and PDP can do for us is to pay for the services of an intellectually sound individuals and not a bunch or morons with dirty and polluted psychosphere. nonsense!
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by mrmetoo1: 9:25pm On Dec 19, 2014
People are actually defending this "Mere stealing is not corruption" statement?? There are some things people say that they wish they could take back, I'm sure this falls under that category for GEJ. I'm sure if he could, he'll take that statement back and either give a smarter answer or just avoid answering all together.

Some saying they're educated have even gone to the extent of the defining both words, how they don't see the connection between both words is baffling. Some GEJ supporters make things worse for him by defending what shouldn't be defended. If I were his supporter, I'll just keep quiet and let this kind of topic fade away. Unnecessary arguments keep topics like these alive.

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Virgindove(f): 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
Corruption is not only stealing, but stealing is an integral part of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by 3kay945(m): 9:33pm On Dec 19, 2014
I don't really blame Doyin okupe for doing his job. I rather blame the clueless one at the top for failing to do his.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by zetel95(m): 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2014
U
1stCitizen:
Doyin Okupe just embarrassed President Jonathan by asking "Stealing and corruption, is there a difference?" See original tweet and responses from Nigerians below

My observation about this longer trouth doyin okupe is DAT he's talking toouch without proper consultation of his oga
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by eoadeniji(m): 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2014
fyneguy:
This is what they call ''Eedi'' in Yoruba. How could aides of the President keep goofing everyday?
lol

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by eoadeniji(m): 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
holatin:
And the most silly comment of the year goes to ajinatu
infact his comment is sillier than silly
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by nagoma(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
Stealing is acceptable according to Oga

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by holatin(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
eoadeniji:
infact his comment is sillier than silly
hahahahaha dats what he rant all day

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Dee60: 10:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
The other name for this administration is MBA - Management by Abdication!

Say or do what you like, they just dont give a damn!

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by hillso7(m): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
I think they should blame it on the opposition again. Lol grin

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
can we start recognizing the word impeachment in this country, i mean straight impeachment whereby the president messes up with the country, he get fired immediately..i wont be surprise if january1st we will be hearing subsidy abi na subsideen sef..naija is losing form no be small

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by gettinsdone(m): 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
[quote author=1stCitizen post=29027504]Doyin Okupe just embarrassed President Jonathan by asking "Stealing and corruption, is there a difference?" See original tweet and responses from Nigerians below

9ja I hail thee. Feb 14 pls come fast,we can't wait to vote out these clowns.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by donmalcolm21(m): 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2014
barcanista:
Omenka come and see Doyin Okupe at work again...

"Stealing is not Corruption" cheesy cheesy
I missed your stvpid sense of humor when you were banned for trying to overthrew Seun.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by spenca: 10:30pm On Dec 19, 2014
APC has survived a year hence Doyin Okupe is a "bastard" as he requested

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 19, 2014
wiseguy:

Corruption is like a common name to many acts that are morally wrong. Simply put stealing is an act of corruption. Any thief is simply corrupt. The word corrupt simply means that something or somebody has a behaviour outside the norm. It is not normal to steal. So the persons behaviour or mannerism has been corrupted and the person can even be said to be morally corrupt. So whether you stole money, goods, use your position to get favors, etc. All are forms of corruption.

In the scheme of things calling a man corrupt when he is a common thief trivialises the seriousness.

That's the point the president is making

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by akereconfi: 10:35pm On Dec 19, 2014
2011 : Buhari + Pastor Tunde Bakare
2015: Buhari + Pastor Osibanjo
2019: Buhari + Pope
2023: Buhari + Bible

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by fasbat(m): 10:35pm On Dec 19, 2014
Dbboy:
Let make this clear can you define stealing explicitly as corruption or the other way round is corruption stealing?

We argue without making any meaning of what we are arguing about.
on d same street we walk, 'stealing is corruption' so say smtin undignifing is rather pathetic, Is stealing a crime? Yes! Is Corruption a crime? YES, so what's d meaning of d argument?
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Solowande(m): 10:48pm On Dec 19, 2014
majekdom2:
how old is john Kerry ... Not supporting Buhari , but this should not be an issue on who to become president.
Thenwhat is d issue
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by saintandsinnerz: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
mikeansy:
In the real sense of the word "some" forms of stealing can qualify as corruption. Some cant.

E.g. A public officer diverting public funds to private accounts qualify as both stealing and corruption

A public officer using his office to ease the process of getting his relative employed qualifies as corruption but that's not necessarily stealing

But an armed robber waiting for vehicles with guns and robbing people is pure stealing but that is not corruption.

The essence of the word corrupt or corruption assumes some level of responsibility and dignity that is being tarnished or adulterated due to some malpractices. Nobody looks up to a thief with some dignity or expect them to operate on a higher moral pedestal that is why it is out of place to describe a thief with the word corrupt.

Hence those who try to distinguish between the word stealing and corruption are not in anyway trivialising corruption. If anything they are emphasizing the enormity of what is going on in public offices in Nigeria when they try to draw a distinction between stealing and corruption. They are arguing that the seriousness of siphoning public funds into private accounts gets downplayed with the word corruption when in truth what is happening is outright stealing.

In 2006 Nuhu Ribadu made a similar argument about Sani Yerima of Zamfara State while accusing Governors of Corruption. In the case of Zamfara he emphasized that what is going on there is outright stealing without the involvement of any 3rd parties because in his words Sani Yerima was simply diverting State funds directly from State Accounts to private accounts. He is not even disguising it by setting up contactors with fronts like you currently have in Lagos where Tinubu's proxy companies do all sorts of work for the Lagos State Government and inflating cost without being subject to competition.

So eventhough in terms of technicalities of English language "Stealing is not corruption" may be wrong. I understand the sentiments behind the argument. There is some truth in it.
What goes on in public offices in Nigeria is stealing but in most developed countries you have corruption in public offices!

Never knew there still intelligent folks in this country! Bravo bro, I'm really impressed with your explanations. You really said my mind. How i wish i can show this to some folks who were arguing with me when i told them that GEJ may not totally be wrong when he made that statement

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aba Riot ; Picture Of Killed Trader. Graphic Picture. / El-rufai Withdraws Interest In Ministerial Appointment, Recommends Replacement / The 8 Bills Signed Into Law By Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.