Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,949 members, 7,799,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming (1362 Views)

COMPUTER PROGRAMMING * WEBSITE DESIGN * GRAPHICS DESIGN / Learn Computer Networking / Want To Learn Computer Emgineering Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming by toshodei: 7:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
Link ~> http://www.wired.com/2014/12/andela/

Chibuzor Obiora was an out-of-work TV news anchor in Lagos, Nigera when he came across a curious link on Twitter: a company was offering money to people willing to take a course in computer programming.

For Obiora, it sounded too good to be true. “I was always interested in learning [to code] because of the problem solving aspect of it,” he says, “and here was a firm that promised to pay you to learn.” But it turned out to be a very real opportunity.

The company is called Andela. It’s based in New York City, and it pays Nigerians to learn programming skills before putting them to work on projects that serve businesses back in the States. After about four months of training, Obiora now works under Andela as a web development contractor for an (unnamed) U.S. based organization—all without leaving Nigeria.

The ultimate aim is to tap the vast pool of talent found in countries that aren’t exactly known as technology hubs, including not only Nigeria but other parts of Africa. “We know that brilliance is relatively evenly distributed across the human population,” says Andela co-founder Jeremy Johnson. “In terms of pure aptitude, there are genius level people across the world. But what there’s not is equal opportunity.”

‘WE KNOW THAT BRILLIANCE IS RELATIVELY EVENLY DISTRIBUTED ACROSS THE HUMAN POPULATION’
Today, U.S. tech companies aren’t shy about saying they have trouble finding programming talent. Critics argue this talent shortage has more to do with stinginess and selective hiring practices than a real lack of qualified programmers, but regardless of the reasons, the need is there. As a result, a new wave of services are working to train enormous numbers of new programmers.

The operations range from online tutorial services like Codecademy to the dozens of “code bootcamps” that promise to get people job-ready in a matter of months. Andela puts a new twist on the bootcamp idea by moving them overseas—and paying people to participate.

The Test
Johnson, who previously founded the online education company 2U, launched Andela earlier this year, alongside Christina Sass, who has a background in non-government organizations, Iyinoluwa Aboyeji, a Nigerian entrepreneur who previously co-founded the online education companies Bookneto and Fora, and Ian Carnevale, who was also a co-founder of Fora.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming by Polawizard(m): 7:45am On Dec 22, 2014
Wow, it's cool and okay, but how can I participate, becuz I believe I have talent in terms of coding, example of coding I perform is on my site www.isezynet.tk and www.newsgist.
Re: This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming by spycamera: 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2015
That sounds cool but how does one get started.
Re: This Company Is Paying Nigerians To Learn Computer Programming by y4code(m): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2015
Polawizard:
Wow, it's cool and okay, but how can I participate, becuz I believe I have talent in terms of coding, example of coding I perform is on my site www.isezynet.tk and www.newsgist.
How do you host you website is it free I'm working on my business website and want to host it plz put me through bro

(1) (Reply)

Spectranet Mifi For Sale / SOLD! SOLD! Clean Fairly Used Hp Pavillion Dv 6000 For Sale In Lagos For 26k / My HP Mini Laptop Does Not Charge The Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.