Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday (1069 Views)

if These 3 Monikers Leave Romance Section Today Thousands Will Follow Them!!!! / How A Kenyan Killed The Crocodile That Ate His Wife / American Missionary Accused Of Raping Young Children At A Kenyan Orphanage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 20, 2014
I know people especialy in europe enjoy high internet speeds all the time. I even heard that there lowest speed is like 45 Mb/s. While the rest of us in africa are still left in the kb/s (stone age!), a simple HD music video of 150Mb will take like 15 minutes to download and we are still happy with it.
Anyway back to my topic. In Kenya internet speeds have improved over time but fiber obtic connectivity hasn't trickled down to normal citizen, just last week its was said that 30 out of 47 counties in Kenya were connected to the National fiber optic grid and this first face is just to connet government offices and large coporates, then in time, normal folks like me will be able to request to be connected to the fiber grid just like you request for electricity. In Kenyas Vision2030, the government plans that by 2030, the minimum download speed in cities and big towns will be 45Mb/s while in the interior parts of the village, it will be 5Mb/s.

Now am studying in a University in the capital city, this particular University is not the at the top interms of Internet speed in universities. Kenyas No 1 University- Nairobi University has the highest internet. All Public Universities are connected with a fiber network Called Kenya Education Network
Now speeds in Kenyan university still fluctuate, one time there fast, then sudenly it beomes slow and sometime it depends on what file you are downloading. If you in Kenya and are downloading files from a server loated in India,Dubai, UK and maybe china then speeds will be relativly high compared to downloading from server located in Brazil,USA, Canada. You can get maximum speed if a file is located in a local server, especially youtube vedios that have already been watched atleast once by someone here in the region- I think google have servers here in Kenya but am not sure.

So, normaly, at any given normal day, there about 36,000 students in my university, the bandwidth is usually divided according to the number of students using the internet at a particular time. usually when there is maximum traffic, download speeds are as low as from 100kb/s-1000 kb/s , but since most students have finished there exams and gone home for the december holiday, only a few schools with longer sylabuss are left still doing exams(i.e School of; egineering,Medicine etc). Now the net speed has gone up and is so fast. I use IDM to download, since yesterday files that are less that 100Mb, when you click download then you immidiately click start download, the file just disapears and reapearss and says download finish.

So i used this reiable website to test my Download and Upload speeds (http://www.speedtest.net), Like I said, the speed flactuates so every time you test, you sightly get a different resulst ranging from 13mb/s (that was I measured yeaterday) and today speeds are up to 40Mb/s

Pics (screen captions) of yesterdays (19-12-2014)speeds

Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 20, 2014
Todays Dowload speeds are like.... really fast, unbelievable!!!

Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by johnwizey: 11:09am On Dec 20, 2014
Here in France, we get up to 500mb/s
Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 20, 2014
johnwizey:

Jeez! we are really living in the stone age us in Africa!
But we're catching up slowly.............(i hope) cool
Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kafrican:

Jeez! we are really living in the stone age us in Africa!
But we're catching up slowly.............(i hope) cool
bro we are seriously living in a stone age here..broad band in this country is nothin to write home abt...over here if your are broswing at 10kb/5 u will be feeling fly

1 Like

Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by luvlyoracle(m): 1:13pm On Dec 20, 2014
Mtn undecided

Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 20, 2014
luvlyoracle:
Mtn undecided
Where is that?
Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by luvlyoracle(m): 1:41pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kafrican:

Where is that?
Enugu

1 Like

Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by cheatmastergerr(m): 3:04pm On Dec 20, 2014
Lolx Thats True Buh Here In Nigeria, I Can Boast Of 5MB/S Via Airtel Network grin grin
Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by cheatmastergerr(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2014
johnwizey:

Jeeeeeez! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: In A Kenyan University Donwload Speed Up To 40mb/s Aftr Students Leave 4 Holiday by toluxa1(m): 11:59am On Dec 23, 2014
johnwizey:

Liarrrrrr. Pixoridonbeliv

(1) (Reply)

Urban Graffics N Printingmark Ur Request..pls.. >promo Cd Printing & Burning >g / For Sale!!!! / Heavy Downpour In Parts Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.