Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,524 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:09 PM

State Policing, A Likely Solution To Insecurity In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Policing, A Likely Solution To Insecurity In Nigeria (532 Views)

Is Amnesty The Solution To Insecurity, Terrorism & Boko-Haram Crises? / Solution To Insecurity In Nigeria Is Dialogue,says Obasanjo / State Police, The Answer To Insecurity In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

State Policing, A Likely Solution To Insecurity In Nigeria by newsnow: 12:18pm On Dec 20, 2014
An interview with a lecturer at the Nigerian institute of journalism (MR. TENE JOHN) on the security issues in the country. In this interview, he highlights challenges and proffers solutions to the problem of insecurity in Nigeria.
Interviewer: can you please tell us about yourself, qualifications, profession?
Interviewee: I am Tene John, a B.Sc. M.Sc. holder in political science and international relations respectively. I’m a lecturer by profession, in the Nigerian Institute of Journalism and I am a Nigerian.
Interviewer: what can you say about the current state of security in Nigeria?
Interviewee: what we have in Nigeria is insecurity, the opposite of security, where there is adequate are being destroyed and even the government is scared.
Interviewer: what will you say the federal government is doing right or wrong about the issue of book haram in the country?
Interviewee: the federal government have not folded their arms on the issue of boko haram but I would say their major failure is negotiating with the terrorists, the amnesty those insurgents were granted made them feel that the government is scared of them and they continued asking for more, there is no place in the world where terrorists should be negotiated with. The government shouldn’t have allowed the Boko haram issue get to this point where they have kidnapped over 200 girls, to do what?Whenever I think about those girls and all they would be going through, my heart bleed.
Interviewer: what steps do you think the federal government should take in ensuring adequate security in the country?
Interviewee: Like I tell people, state policing is important, with state police around, there will be less evil in the country, the presence of policemen would curb violence and crime in the society, so FG should consider putting them on concurrent list, whereby it is done by both the government at the central and the state, they should allow the state to control their own police. Also, vigilante groups can also offer a lot of help; they should be permitted in the country.
Interviewer: Do you think that the involvement of other countries on the abducted girls’ issue would yield a positive result?
Interviewee: well em, by and large, to my little knowledge, in international system, whatever happens to Nigeria happens to Cameroon and would also happen to the neighbouring countries and that is why the world itself is a global village, we will look at it when the issue of terror first started that no, no, no, the issue of terrorism is not a Nigerian thing, it is common with Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, no, no, no, it has not come here to stay. But you’ll discover that the world has become a global village, the issue of technology has gone to the extent that you’ll see what takes place almost in every part of the world, and that alone has exposed people to a lot of violence, a lot of crime and a lot of evil and you see people trying to express or exhibit their own kind of opinion in fighting the government of the day. But the
truth of the matter is that we need a follow up from these countries, they have the Intelligence and technology and we have the foot soldiers, in fact, Nigerian soldiers are highly respected when it comes to combat and in the United Nation’s peace keeping mission. But the government of U.S., China, U.K. will help in the aspect of technology, not that they’re coming to fight, they’re coming to help s out like what happened in Malaysia also, about the missing Jet, it concerns everybody it has become a global fight and that is why their involvement is normal it is a welcome development an attack on one is an attack on all. They never can tell the effect to their own country and that is why you can see the wife of the American president Michelle Obama supporting the protest and carrying placards saying “bring back our girls”. I believe with their involvement, they would make it easier to discover the hide out of the Boko Haram and where the girls are. To be sincere there’s a limit to what the Nigerian soldiers can do because it is not that they cannot attack but I believe that government is playing politics with the issue of this attacks because you cannot tell me that the soldiers cannot attack the terrorists, they can, but we can say because of the ethnic differences, that by the time he gives the order the people in the north can say oh, no wonder, when his people started, they did negotiation, they gave them amnesty, no wonder he wants to kill us. So there’s a little bit of politicking with the issue of Boko Haram.
Interviewer: So can you categorically say that you believe politicking is involved in the Boko Haram issue in Nigeria?
Interviewee: yes, yes! I can say that, categorically because with what they exhibit, looking at it, if you look at the primary function of government, constitutionally, it is the duty of the government to save lives and properties, but where lives are being taken, look at Nyanya attack for example; repeating itself twice and the government is sitting, folding his hands and doing nothing, lives and properties are being wasted everyday, on a daily bases, so I can say categorically that politicking is involved.
Interviewee: what advice can you give Nigerians in order to secure their lives and properties in view of the current state of insecurity in the country?
Interviewee: well, gone are the days we sleep with our two eyes closed, I want to advice Nigerians that this time around when you sleep, close one eye and open the other eye to watch, (chuckles) even the bible says “watch and pray” you cannot pray without watching and you cannot watch without praying, what I’m trying to say is that let us be vigilant, let us be conscious of our environment, if you see a strange fellow in your environment or in your neighborhood, ask questions. I once saw a strange lady in my environment at night and she was by a corner making phone calls, I asked her what she was doing there and ended up sending her away, people like that kidnap babies. When you see them patrolling your area, challenge them with questions so that they’ll now you’re vigilant. Because if they’re allowed, you won’t know when they will plant a bomb and before you know it there’ll be explosion. Also, the issue of security is not for government alone, in our community we need to take challenges, we can get the vigilante groups, employ them and pay them so that they watch over, at times you’ll see some people saying that they cannot pay while others are paying and before you know it, thieves would come to that area and they would point at that house that is not paying, so let there be community development, you don’t wait for government to do everything for you. For example, if your roof is leaking, you don’t wait for the landlord to come and do it for you, you should save your properties first.NEWSNOWAFRICA.COM

BY: MAR’YAM THAWBAAN

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Worth Of 'people's General' Military Certificates / Jonathan Is Not On Twitter, Has The Second Largest Followership On Facebook / 2014 Kcpe List Of Top 5 Private Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.