Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car (56874 Views)

See What My Dad Bought For #500k Yesterday. / Drama As Man Fights Friend Over Wife In Hotel / Man Fights Over Prostitute In Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 20, 2014
remsonik:
My father remains my father so if he gives me a gift I don't see any reason why hubby should be angry. Only men with low self esteem and overbloated ego will have an issue with such.

Exactly and I am sure that the same men would be glad to accept a car if it was given to them by their mums. That wouldn't be an issue. grin

6 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Shirley07: 4:52pm On Dec 20, 2014
coogar:

change my tone?
so letting 2 adults sort out their family palava is in equal weight with the murder or physical abuse of my daughter? come on - the analogy doesn't fit at all.

but he's sharing with the wife.....
if her father is going to get involved at all, he should have called both parties & present the car to them jointly - let them sort the rest on who should drive which car

ok......
Presenting jointly may mean something else to a greedy selfish husband out there, who will think the car is his only. The proper thing to do when presenting a gift is to make the intent clear by giving the said person alone, not with groups of people. This is to avoid any misconception.
If you're of that mentality, then it means anyone that wants to give you something must present it jointly to you, your parents and siblings since you're all one family.
Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by coogar: 5:02pm On Dec 20, 2014
Shirley07:

Presenting jointly may mean something else to a greedy selfish husband out there, who will think the car is his only. The proper thing to do when presenting a gift is to make the intent clear by giving the said person alone, not with groups of people. This is to avoid any misconception.
If you're of that mentality, then it means anyone that wants to give you something must present it jointly to you, your parents and siblings since you're all one family.

exactly!
2 become one after marriage. calling your daughter aside to present her a car regardless of the hubby's feelings or consent is a miskick! anything i receive as a married man is for me & my family.

in his shoes, i wouldn't have reacted badly or start a shouting match. i would just ring my grandma in the village to bring me a young beautiful maiden that would be making my food & taking care of my general welfare.

it will also amount to a grandma's gift for a maritally-stressed grandson. grin

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Matthewbriggs(m): 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2014
Context is every thing ... the mistake majority of people are making on this thread is that they not trying to seek out more information from the OP as to why he acted the way he did.

No sane man ... I know would feel slighted if his father inlaw decides to shower his daughter with gifts. Buy her a car, build her a house or buys her a freaking island. No sane man in his right mind would feel bad. Infact I would be very grateful to my father inlaw for his kind gesture and proceed to enjoy it with my wife... because what ever belongs to my wife belongs to me and vice versa.

A sane man would only freak out if this action is carried out with an ulterior motive,

1. As a ploy to undermine his role as the head of the family.
2. As a ploy to clandestinely remind him of his in ability to carry out his responsibility.
3. If he feel his father in-law has a habit or history of interfering in the way he runs his family.

It's not about given someone a gift, what matters the most which we are neglecting is the role the motive behind a gift, and the way it is given, go a long way in deciding how a gift is accepted.

Now Ladies shouting blue murder. should ponder on this.

How would you feel when you have spent your hard earned time preparing a really nice dish for your husband to eat and your mother inlaw arrives from the village one night complaining of the fact that you are feeding his son rubbish, she says look at how lean my son has become since he married you. She now tells you that the dish you just prepared is not good enough for him that you should shove your dish in the dustbin.

She steps in to the kitchen and prepares a dish for your husband and presents it to him as a gift in your presence, and your husband is like mummy thank you very much for this gift. This meal means a lot to me.

Tell me honestly how you would feel as a woman.

Context is every thing people. Before crying blue murder and accusing the man of been egotistic, and crucify him on the alter of Men vs Women. Our focus should have been on seeking to understand the context of his action and probing the Op to further get more details on why he acted the way he did. On getting more details can we go on to come to a conclusion.

#Mathewbriggs

10 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by crackhaus: 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2014
coogar:

perhaps the OP don't have the full facts.....
there's nothing wrong in a father getting a gift for his daughter but the circumstance has to be appropriate so it doesn't cause a rift between the married couple.
Exactly, it's all about the circumstances surrounding it.

I personally know of a man who bought a car each for his daughters. Two got theirs on their wedding day (different years), and the remaining one who didn't get the car gift on her wedding day got it on a birthday..

There are ways to go about these things, and the OP needs to state the full story if indeed it's even true.

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Shirley07: 5:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
coogar:

exactly!
2 become one after marriage. calling your daughter aside to present her a car regardless of the hubby's feelings or consent is a miskick! anything i receive as a married man is for me & my family.

in his shoes, i wouldn't have reacted badly or start a shouting match. i would just ring my grandma in the village to bring me a young beautiful maiden that would be making my food & taking care of my general welfare.

it will also amount to a grandma's gift for a maritally-stressed grandson. grin
And the wife would also bring in a bobo to take regular care of her.
You should know it doesn't even compare. First and foremost, cooking isn't the duty of the wife alone. You as a man should be able to cook for yourself and the household, same as the wife.
But in this case, the wife cooks for the husband and the husband lacks no care as opposed to the wife having no car while the husband has one. So, it's the wife that lacks something here, not the husband.
I'm still of the opinion that the dad has every right to give comfort to his daughter whichever way he can. And only an insecure man would feel like a little man because of this.
@craziebone, come and see your fellow men nagging because a father gave his daughter a gift, I'm sure the wife has every right to get herself a 2nd husband since the husband is making that house difficult with his nags. Don't blame for this, I'm learning from the master.

4 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by LordReed(m): 5:28pm On Dec 20, 2014
coogar:

i would let my daughter & her hubby handle their marriage as responsible adults without interfering. this is what i would expect from a responsible father but then responsible fathers are not common in this day & age.....

you are still a colonel save-a-sket though!

If it is irresponsible to give my daughter a gift then so be it and I will continue to be irresponsible even if his fragile ego can't take it. I am not coming into their home to make any decisions for them, I made mine and gave her the gift.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 5:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
EfemenaXY:

This has got to be the most silly story I've read today, and a prime example of your typical black man seeing nothing wrong with his wife suffering, as long as his over inflated ego is massaged to the nth degree.

@OP: think about it. How would you as a father whose nutured and brought up his daughter feel, seeing her suffering, knowing you could help ease her discomfort? Does being married mean that you as a father would totally wash your hands off your daughter?

If your parents had bought the car for her instead, would you still feel so miffed about it? Or still hold the opinion that your parents are interfering with your marriage?

Guy, pls.

(1) stop personalising, read and give ur own opinion.
(2)y are u tellin me to please, I know u b4

Relax and go read again after ur hot body don go down

1 Like

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 5:31pm On Dec 20, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Nothing wrong, the man has got self-esteem issues.
Am not opposing what the man did, but I felt the father in law should have carried the husband along (they can even make it a surprise). Imagine ur wife going out for morning and just driving home with a new car courtesy of her dad.

1 Like

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by coogar: 5:34pm On Dec 20, 2014
LordReed:

If it is irresponsible to give my daughter a gift then so be it and I will continue to be irresponsible even if his fragile ego can't take it. I am not coming into their home to make any decisions for them, I made mine and gave her the gift.

a bïtch-ašs hubby would let his FIL overrule his decision. a sane hubby would flip you a bird & return the car back to you in a bubblewrap. i am the head of my household, not your daughter!

Shirley07:

And the wife would also bring in a bobo to take regular care of her.
You should know it doesn't even compare. First and foremost, cooking isn't the duty of the wife alone. You as a man should be able to cook for yourself and the household, same as the wife.

if i could cook for myself, i won't need a wife.

But in this case, the wife cooks for the husband and the husband lacks no care as opposed to the wife having no car while the husband has one. So, it's the wife that lacks something here, not the husband.

her food isn't delicious enough or her care lacks quality. i can make that excuse too.

I'm still of the opinion that the dad has every right to give comfort to his daughter whichever way he can. And only an insecure man would feel like a little man because of this.

he should have done that before he married her off. after brideprice has been taken from me, i get to decide what is acceptable & what isn't, no? i am the head of my household, not my FIL. if he insists on superseding me, he can have his daughter back.

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 5:36pm On Dec 20, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Stop acting coy.

You were out all guns blazing because as a male, you feel slighted that the father-in-law stepped in, but you suddenly start getting cool when I ask if it would make a difference if the giver was/is the guy's own parents.

A man who loves his wife wouldn't want to see her suffering. The car was given to her by her father for gawd's sake! FAMILY. Not from a secret admirer. So why the unnecessary ego trip?

For me, it's not about the gift but the presentation, the FIL should have simply involved the man, they can even surprise the wife.

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 5:38pm On Dec 20, 2014
alutaa:
If your Mother in-law bought a new set of cooking pots for his daughter in-law and gave it to his son, will the daughter in-law be happy?

To all ladies that said that there is nothing wrong, if your mother in law start buying cooking pots and plates for your kitchen, will you be happy with that?

What the father in-law did that was wrong is to give the car to his daughter directly without informing his son in-law. Best way to go about it is for the father in-law to present the car to them as a couple instead of giving it to his daughter directly.

I agree, @least carry the man along. What if the wife no get belle, so she go go her papa house carry belle cum also?

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 20, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Am not opposing what the man did, but I felt the father in law should have carried the husband along (they can even make it a surprise). Imagine ur wife going out for morning and just driving home with a new car courtesy of her dad.

[s]Pray what is wrong with that? It's a gift from her father. Does your father require anyone's permission to give you a gift? Can we stop making mountains out of a no-hills for a just a sec, and look at the 'issue' morally? [/s]

Scratch that. Never mind.

3 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2014
And people will still marry these ones oh. cheesy

See reasoning! Gifts from your parent must pass through them as per being the 'head'.

Head of gini kwa? grin
If na only this head dey available, let me walk and live headless grin

Atalaka.

I will proudly walk headless everywhere I go with my father's car.

12 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Shirley07: 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2014
coogar:

a bïtch-ašs hubby would let his FIL overrule his decision. a sane hubby would flip you a bird & return the car back to you in a bubblewrap. i am the head of my household, not your daughter!

if i could cook for myself, i won't need a wife.

her food isn't delicious enough or her care lacks quality. i can make that excuse too.

he should have done that before he married her off. after brideprice has been taken from me, i get to decide what is acceptable & what isn't? i am the head of my household, not my FIL. if he insists on superseding me, he can have her daughter back.
Of course, the wife is better off with her dad than that insecure husband of hers.
And just say you're a coward little man who needs his ego to be constantly stroked to feel important.
Who goes having grudges because a father gave his daughter a gift. People like you don't need a wife, you need a doll or like you said, a slave.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by coogar: 5:45pm On Dec 20, 2014
Shirley07:

Of course, the wife is better off with her dad than that insecure husband of hers.
And just say you're a coward little man who needs his ego to be constantly stroked to feel important. Who goes having grudges because a father gave his daughter a gift. People like you don't need a wife, you need a doll or like you said, a slave.

if the gift has a malicious undertone to it, i would not stand for it. i am tired of nosey nigerian parents who love to showoff because of some ill-gotten wealth. if you dig deep into the father's past now, you would find out he didn't buy his first car until his 60s.

1 Like

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Like seriously? The father has to inform his son-in-law that he wants to give HIS DAUGHTER a gift?

Why?

Why can't hubby learn about the gift from his wife and be happy for her? What's the problem? I see none.

5 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 20, 2014
Chillisauce:
And people will still marry these ones oh. cheesy

See reasoning! Gifts from your parent must pass through them as per being the 'head'.

Head of gini kwa? grin
If na only this head dey available, let me walk and live headless grin

Atalaka.

I will proudly walk headless everywhere I go with my father's car.

What do you expect from men who think that a baby's head is hit when you have s*ex during pregnancy?

See heads without necks. The necks ran away. grin

6 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

[s]Pray what is wrong with that? It's a gift from her father. Does your father require anyone's permission to give you a gift? Can we stop making mountains out of a no-hills for a just a sec, and look at the 'issue' morally? [/s]

Scratch that. Never mind.

Like I said earlier, it's not abt the gift but the manner of presentation. Even friends give each other gift so y not family. It's the presentation am after not the gift.
Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Bigsteveg(m): 6:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Like seriously? The father has to inform his son-in-law that he wants to give HIS DAUGHTER a gift?

Why?

Why can't hubby learn about the gift from his wife and be happy for her? What's the problem? I see none.

If ure familiar with married people, they'll tell u that non issues like this can be very disturbing and can tear the family apart. What's the essence of a car when u no even get happy mind ride am/or creating holes in ur home.
Same go for the man also, any gift that's gonna hurt the wife should be presented in a proper way.
Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 20, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Like I said earlier, it's not abt the gift but the manner of presentation. Even friends give each other gift so y not family. It's the presentation am after not the gift.

What was wrong with the presentation? Look at Matthew Brigg's post, and how he dramatized his gift-giving scenario with the MIL throwing the wife's food around and berating her etcetera. In your scenario, a gift was given. Finis. Unless there's something you're not telling us in the way of blatant disrespect displayed towards the husband in either word or behavior at/around the time the father decided to gift his daughter the new car, you have no standing case. In truth, the man is the one being blatantly disrespectful toward his FIL. And God forbid any man 'implode' on me for my father. That man is history, and as good as toast.

12 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Shirley07: 6:28pm On Dec 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

What was wrong with the presentation? Look at Matthew Brigg's post, and how he dramatized his gift-giving scenario with the MIL throwing the wife's food around and berating her etcetera etcetera. In your scenario, a gift was given. Finis. Unless there's something you're not telling us in the way of blatant disrespect displayed towards the husband in either word or behavior at/around the time the father decided to gift his daughter the new car, you have no standing case. The man is being disrespectful toward his FIL.
Exactly.

10 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Shirley07: 6:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

What was wrong with the presentation? Look at Matthew Brigg's post, and how he dramatized his gift-giving scenario with the MIL throwing the wife's food around and berating her etcetera etcetera. In your scenario, a gift was given. Finis. Unless there's something you're not telling us in the way of blatant disrespect displayed towards the husband in either word or behavior at/around the time the father decided to gift his daughter the new car, you have no standing case. In truth, the man is being blatantly disrespectful toward his FIL. And God forbid any man 'implode' on me for my father. That man is history, and as good as toast.
Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
Bigsteveg:

If ure familiar with married people, they'll tell u that non issues like this can be very disturbing and can tear the family apart. What's the essence of a car when u no even get happy mind ride am/or creating holes in ur home.
Same go for the man also, any gift that's gonna hurt the wife should be presented in a proper way.

If my husband couldn't be happy for me getting a car from my father, then let it be so, then we better go our separate ways!
I don't do insecure men.

But the man in my life would most likely think, cool, he bought her a car, now we can save our money for something else. wink
I love smart, strong men. wink

And if his mama gives him a gift then I will be happy for him and thankful to her.

Now imagine your mama buys you a car and your wife gets angry over it, how would you react?

5 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 20, 2014

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2014
Nonso23:
Very funny thread grin
Well, there is nairaland and there is REAL LIFE. grin
The following are valid deductions as the o.p is sketchy.
1) Young family has car problem.
2) Daddy's girl most probably had to run her mouth about it.
3) Daddy couldn't help being the super hero.
4) Husband feels slighted - Very Justifiably so.

Parents require express permission to butt into their children's marriage unless a life is threatened in which case ANYBODY can butt into the marriage.

The Father in law is an irresponsible and immature baby who doesn't understand the simple fact that his daughter is married and hence no longer under his care.
The family already worked out a very viable short term solution to help them through till they got around the car problem but he had to throw his weight around.
THE GIFT IS NOT THE ISSUE THE CONTEXT OF GIFTING IT IS! The timing was terrible and the pattern unacceptable. If he thinks that he can do a better job as a husband then he should by all means marry his daughter and buy her a million cars. Only a stupi.d husband will not be disturbed by this greek gift.

That man made a mistake raising his voice against the FIL. He would have just simply tabled all their problems including their interest in buying a very luxurious property before the silly man and request that almighty car giver solved them all. If he can't, then the car will be returned peacefully to him and if the daddy's girl objects, she too would be returned to her obnoxious Father. They will make a great pair.

#Nzuzu puru mpi

I am sure you would say the same if your mummy or daddy gave you a car. grin

4 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2014
Shirley07:

Exactly.

Why don't they see that?
Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Matthewbriggs(m): 6:44pm On Dec 20, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Why?

I would call him and thank him for his kind getsure and ask him about when he is sending my own gift.

This depends on a how smooth a Mans relationship is with his FIL.

But if from day one the man has been given me cold shoulders, and the reason for his gift is to spite my inability to provide a car for his daughter. I would ask her to return the car to her father or join her father.

Because seeing that car every day would be psychological unhealthy for our relationship.

Also Every sane father in law understands that the complete acceptance of his gift for his daughter by his son in law is important.

It is not compulsory but wouldn't hurt to inform him about it and run it through him. Its a sign of respect and the fact that you acknowledge he exists.

I would do same if I am giving my daughter a gift of significant value.

As I earlier said context is everything.

3 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by ifyalways(f): 6:49pm On Dec 20, 2014
My husband go rock the car, use am pose all over town sef, tell friends say he don buy him babe a new car. Lol

Ego is the issue here. Or maybe the way the wife presented the gift to the hubby ie she mocked him or something.

Either ways, I won't return the car, something that would ease my suffering because one "Okafor with big blokos and dry pocket" for house feels threatened oo. Na lie oo. He will have to sort his issues himself, I go jeje give am space to sulk and get over himself.

4 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 20, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 20, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Man Fights Wife Cus Dad Bought Her A New Car by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 20, 2014
alutaa:
If your Mother in-law bought a new set of cooking pots for his daughter in-law and gave it to his son, will the daughter in-law be happy?
i would actually be happy, more pots for my kitchen. I will even use them when she is around to show that she didn't waste her money at all

To all ladies that said that there is nothing wrong, if your mother in law start buying cooking pots and plates for your kitchen, will you be happy with that?
more pots for my family, what is wrong about that? I would even be grateful.

What the father in-law did that was wrong is to give the car to his daughter directly without informing his son in-law. Best way to go about it is for the father in-law to present the car to them as a couple instead of giving it to his daughter directly.
he is the son in-law not her new father. The gift is for her and for her benefit so i don't see why the husband has to be told prior. Must everything revolve around him and his ego? undecided this is what happens when you get married to a child trapped in a grown man's body. He couldn't afford doing what her father did, he just has to accept that and let it go. So if it was a company car, the company was gonna have to consult her husband first before giving it to her? undecided

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

My Sister's Marriage Is About Hitting The Rocks / Lady Finds Out Her Husband Of 4 Months Is A Car Wash Boy And Not A Car Dealer / Girl ‘Punches’ Nigerian Dad At US Army Promotion Ceremony (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.