Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,921 members, 7,802,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World (1686 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 20, 2014
In spite of the new found status of Nigeria as the largest economy in Africa, the country has been ranked not only as one of the world’s least prosperous countries in 2014, but also one of Africa’s poorest nation beaten by smaller countries like Niger, Benin, Mali and Cameroun, an annual global prosperity survey released this week has said.

According to a report released by a UK based Legatum Institute, a research organization that documents annual prosperity indicators around the world, listed Nigeria as the 125th out of 142 countries surveyed.

Despite Nigeria’s acclaimed $510bn economy, the nation failed to make the list of Africa’s top 10 most prosperous countries, a league dominated hitherto by Botswana and South Africa.

Other countries in that bracket according to the report listed from third and below, are Morocco, Namibia, Tunisia, Algeria, Ghana, Rwanda, Burkina Faso, and Senegal.

Nigeria was said to have fell to 27 in Africa in 2014, nose-diving 22 places from its ranking in 2011, the report said.

In between the top 10 countries and Nigeria are Benin, Kenya, Zambia, Uganda, Mali, Niger, Cameroon, Egypt, Tanzania, Malawi, Djibouti, Mozambique, Cote d’Ivoire, Congo Republic, Zimbabwe, and Mauritania.

The Executive Director of Legatum Institute, Sain Hansen, said that: “The 2014 Prosperity Index provides a lens through which to view a comprehensive assessment of national success. The Index measures the broad set of indicators that tell us not only how nations perform economically but in vital areas of education, health, freedom, opportunity, social capital.”

Other indicators measured by the institute’s survey are, governance and safety and security.

For each of the indices assessed, Nigeria performed woefully, highlighting how life in Nigeria is perhaps among the harshest in the world despite the country’s oil and mineral wealth.

Nigeria’s best ranking was in the economy group, where it was ranked 97th out of 142 countries in the survey.

The report also said Nigeria ranked 114th, 130th, 123th, 132th, 137th, 106th, and 108th in entrepreneurship and opportunity, governance, education, health, safety and security, personal freedom and social capital respectively.

The leading African country, Botswana, ranked 75th globally, and has a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $15,147. The country is among the biggest proportional spender in the world as its government spends 8 per cent of its GDP on Education.

President Goodluck Jonathan in his office in Nigerian Presidential Complex popularly called 'Aso Rock'

http://leadership.ng/news/396558/nigeria-ranked-least-prosperous-nation-world-2

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by dj187: 4:18pm On Dec 20, 2014
This is d more reason why we need to kick out the present government come February 2015, how can we be prosperous when the petroleum minister alone spends 10 billion on private jets, how can we be prosperous when 20 billion disappears to d thin air wit no trace & d government keeping mum, how can we be prosperous when somebody indicted for the fuel subsidy scam is d main sponsor of saTAN

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 4:22pm On Dec 20, 2014
All are efforts to condemn this gentle, meak president nigerians ever have.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by fr3do(m): 4:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
Ogbanje statistics

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by SeverusSnape(m): 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2014
Who believes this nonsense survey?...They can say anything they want, Nigeria is not an advanced country; Yes, but they can't say we're the least prosperous, Where did they keep Central African republic, Comoros, Seychelles etc?... Many other examples abound. Rubbish survey!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
chai!the media again?! what a lousy research too!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by biafranqueen: 4:42pm On Dec 20, 2014
They can say what they want investors are flooding the market from the international community. China, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, etc; Investing billions in this great nation. https://www.nairaland.com/2049694/goodlucks-administration-made-it-safe
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Lucasbalo(m): 4:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:
All are efforts to condemn this gentle, meak president nigerians ever have.
What's meak and gentle when corruption and mismanagement overshadows the whole country ?.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2014
Lucasbalo:
What's meak and gentle when corruption and mismanagement overshadows the whole country ?.

I wonder why coruption crimes committed by individuals are now packed and blamed on one person, when each individual has free will to do good or bad. Jonathan is not to be blamed since he is not controlling there mind. And it is obvious he brings anyone caught in bad act to face judgement........
To achieve a better nigeria today, it begins with you!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Lucasbalo(m): 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

I wonder why coruption crimes committed by individuals are now packed and blamed on one person, when each individual has free will to do good or bad. Jonathan is not to be blamed since he is not controlling there mind. And it is obvious he brings anyone caught in bad act to face judgement........
Like President Truman said in the 40s, the buck stops at the presidency. When the country is going good, he takes the credit and if the country is falling apart, he takes the blame.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Afroconnect: 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2014
What do you expect when a few individuals owns nearly 80% of the wealth in Nigeria,even controlling our oil wells.

We have a big economy,but a few elite profits from it,the people are left with crumbs.

We keep saying corruption,embezzlement and inflating contracts in our tiers of government are our biggest enemy,but the mediocres gaining from it are trying to bury a glary reality,the state Governors are even worse,with nothing to show for billions in security votes,yet the EFCC watches and our chief security officer(the President looks away).

Whatever name Goodluck Jonathan and his media men want to call it-the stealing of Nigeria's wealth through various means has really increased in his tenure.

Obasanjo was not a saint,but during his tenure,he made more money for public expenditure than Goodluck.

Now people are milking the Nation and spending on G class,rolls royce and foreign goods-of course when too much importation is not checked by adopting fiscal discipline,the National currency will fall.

The thieves stealing from this Nation should try to invest in businesses that creates jobs,such as manufacturing plants.farming,and other services rather than just buying and building estates,that will sit idle for years.

What we are seeing in Naija is a vicious circle of population explosion,lack of employment,disillusionement of the youth cos even the church seems to love only money-hardwork and patience are story for the gods.

Our value system is faulty,we urgently need to move away from this materialism mentality and start building our institutions,creating jobs and creating a prosperous Nation.

when the Executive condones public sector stealing,Government fraud and embezzlement,the nation deterioriates quickly...this is what we are witnessing in Goodluck's regime. No control.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 5:19pm On Dec 20, 2014
Lucasbalo:
Like President Truman said in the 40s, the buck stops at the presidency. When the country is going good, he takes the credit and if the country is falling apart, he takes the blame.

Yea, this is how man would always react, regardless of if such president put more effort or not, to archieve either the good or the bad side.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Lucasbalo(m): 5:25pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Yea, this is how man would always react, regardless of if such president put more effort or not, to archieve either the good or the bad side.
The bottom line is that the guy is not up to the job. I was a big supporter of him when Yar Adua's wife and the cabal were playing games with him when he was the VP. We organized demonstrations here and in NY and DC. After six years, the guy is a failure. If another president comes in and didn't deliver, he should be booted out after 4 years. That's the essence of democracy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
Please, let nobody believe all these nonsense ratings. It's just a way of undermining nigeria and Nigerians. This is a country that has painted many countries in bad light just because they don't support their policies.. Take what they did to Libya, Iraq, Cuba etc

They have refused to help nigeria fight terrorism, refused to supply us with weapons, went ahead to Reduce oil prices to kill our economy. Russia has taken the bite, now they want nigeria to go too.. Simple use of media and they can turn a country against itself

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 20, 2014
BACKWARD TRANSFORMATION AGENDER

FRESH AIR FROM GEJ ANUS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by shelterz(m): 5:39pm On Dec 20, 2014
shocked

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by AmucheJane(f): 5:40pm On Dec 20, 2014
Who cares? Nonsense
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2014
Lucasbalo:
The bottom line is that the guy is not up to the job. I was a big supporter of him when Yar Adua's wife and the cabal were playing games with him when he was the VP. We organized demonstrations here and in NY and DC. After six years, the guy is a failure. If another president comes in and didn't deliver, he should be booted out after 4 years. That's the essence of democracy.

Well i don't think we as followers are in good position to judge if the president is doing well or not. We cannot say actually what these leaders are facing. Besides, even though those who seem to know about that condemn him, let's bear it in mind that many wrongs things are today being done in the name of politics.

Let's just be sincere!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Well i don't think we as followers are in good position to judge if the president is doing well or not. We cannot say actually what these leaders are facing. Besides, even though those who seem to know about that condemn him, let's bear it in mind that many wrongs things are today being done in the name of politics.

Let's just be sincere!

Don‘t worry, we will judge sincerely with our PVC.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Lucasbalo(m): 5:51pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Let's just be sincere!
How can you not judge your leadership ?. Its for the people to judge their leaders so they won't be oppressed. If you don't want to critique your leadership, North Korea is an ideal place to live.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by omenka(m): 5:52pm On Dec 20, 2014
Transformation my brown eye!! This administration has been a colossal disaster to say the least. Over 5Trillion stolen since 2012 and now this!!

The only progress this country seems to have made under Jonathan only exist under the headress of Okonjo Iweala and her useless poll!

Tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 5:52pm On Dec 20, 2014
dcaliph:

Don‘t worry, we will judge sincerely with our PVC.

No problem. Only hopes to be of sincerity.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by omenka(m): 5:54pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Let's just be sincere!
We the followers bear the brunt of all his actions, good or bad. The elite hardly feel the impact of bad leadership. So tell me, who should judge him?? His wife
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by omenka(m): 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Oga spare us the useless sermon. The buck stops at his table. If he doesn't discourage the act of stealing/corruption by punishing crooks, would-be crooks get encouraged and emboldened to steal! And tell me, what has he done to serve as deterrent to corruption?? "Pardoning" convicted crooks and giving them VIP status?? Hobnobing with people who ought to be serving life sentances for fleecing the country?? Starving anti corruption agencies of funds?? Tell me, what has he done

You people can't keep trying to absolve the man of blame. When things work the way they should, he gets the credit, in the same manner, when things go sour, he should take the fall!! Period!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 6:05pm On Dec 20, 2014
Lucasbalo:
How can you not judge your leadership ?. Its for the people to judge their leaders so they won't be oppressed. If you don't want to critique your leadership, North Korea is an ideal place to live.

Well i was specifically referring to our current leader only, who seems not oppressive in anyway. It is good to criticize a leader, but only if his/her system of ruling is oppressive, etc.
The part of the country where people are oppressed is not the handiwork of our president but that of the residents themselves.

Let's picture it clearly.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 6:15pm On Dec 20, 2014
omenka:
We the followers bear the brunt of all his actions, good or bad. The elite hardly feel the impact of bad leadership. So tell me, who should judge him?? His wife

We are yet to differentiate between the brunt of his actions and the one that comes from people among us, or the one we create ourselves.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:17pm On Dec 20, 2014
Why won't we when the country is run by a drunk stupid man from otuoke.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by omenka(m): 6:24pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

We are yet to differentiate between the brunt of his actions and the one that comes from people among us, or the one we create ourselves.
Oga, I feel the brunt of his action when I can't sleep with both eyes closed.

I feel it when I can't travel to some parts of my country.

I feel it when I see idle youths roaming the streets after graduation due to poor economic planing.

I feel it when the currency keeps taking a beating from the Dollar.

I feel it when I buy gasoline at over a hundred naira per litre.

I feel it when I have to run my generator for over 12hrs daily.

Etc etc etc.

Please let it go. Jonathan is a total failure. Period.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by BrightEye(m): 6:55pm On Dec 20, 2014
omenka:

I feel it when I see idle youths roaming the streets after graduation due to poor economic planing.

Etc etc etc.

Virtually, you feel every negetive things as brunt of his action.
Those positive things you see or feel are as the result of your actions, i guess. undecided
omenka:

Etc etc etc.

Those positive things you see or feel are as the result of your actions, i guess.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by omenka(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Those positive things you see or feel are as the result of your actions, i guess. undecided

Those positive things you see or feel are as the result of your actions, i guess.
I made a list right?? Why don't you list the positive things I feel

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 20, 2014
It seems Nigerian youths believe everything as long as its from a "foreign" research institute. Oshi
Re: Nigeria Ranked Least Prosperous Nation In The World by Lucasbalo(m): 8:23pm On Dec 20, 2014
BrightEye:

Well i was specifically referring to our current leader only, who seems not oppressive in anyway. It is good to criticize a leader, but only if his/her system of ruling is oppressive, etc.
The part of the country where people are oppressed is not the handiwork of our president but that of the residents themselves.

Let's picture it clearly.
Oppression is graduating from University and polythecnics and not finding a rewarding job. Oppression is health care in shambles and so is terrorism overrunning parts of the country uncurbed. Oppression is massive looting of the Commonwealth resources by worthless kleptocrats in power. Your president and his wife will fly to Europe for their medical needs and I doubt if you can fly abroad God forbid if u get sick. What's happening in the country is massive oppression of the masses by the ruling elites. People worshipping their oppressors is a classic example of Stockholm Syndrome.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

@ThisIsBuhari Generates 35,000 Followers in less than 24 hours / Muhammadu Buhari And US War College / kk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.