Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? (16598 Views)

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Olasum(f): 2:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
eagleeye2:

Are you Igbo?
Nop
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
netizenbuzz:

*facepalm* what is this one saying bayi??
tongue tongue tongue should I type slowly 4 u to understand??
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by clemz85(m): 2:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
eagleeye2:

Abeg Mr. Self Made Man, nobody is actually begging that you do a traditional wedding.
You can easily kidnap you girlfriend and impregnate her to start having babies for you....or you simply live with her #happilyeverafter

lol, U funny bro
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
I don't really see a reason for u to b insultive, if u knw u dnt knw wat to say or didn't want to comment u would ve simply ignored it..

There was no insult na...u father has said all na...ok so if i say go and do it anywhere will u take my advice...no nne, as ur dad rightly said, its customary for every lady to be given out traditionally from her father's compoound, so that it would be said that she has people, u know if not for greener pastures that made up scattered everywhere, we should have been in our various villages so this kind of issues will not come up in the first place...and mind u, that place u are based u are a stranger there, even if its another part of ur state

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by macjurek(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
I strongly advise it is not compulsory on but the traditional myths of the Igbo, but mind you all the Idol worshippers and herbal people will be on ground, any thing evil can be practise then.

Are you prayerful, from my experience becareful and be warned.....

Cheers...........

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Generalkorex(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
Zedric:

I am Yoruba and I can tell confidently that its not a traditional wedding if done outside the village
na lie.it simply means u r nt ijile yoruba[original yoruba]
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Generalkorex(m): 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
Diamonddamsel:
It all depends on your tradition.We Yorubas are not bound to go to the village so long as you carry your people along on your plans.It can be done wherever you reside even outside Nigeria Its acceptable.However i know most Ibos go to their Village.
na so jare.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by amanda2013(f): 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
macjurek:
I strongly advise it is not compulsory on but the traditional myths of the Igbo, but mind you all the Idol worshippers and herbal people will be on ground, any thing evil can be practise then.

Are you prayerful, from my experience becareful and be warned.....

Cheers...........
whats this one saying?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nigga44: 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:
I don't belive it's a must... my cousins didn't do their's in our village so why should I? my village is a fetish place according to my Mum so going to do your trad wedding there is at your own risk.

Two of my cousins recently did their weddings and they both did both the trad and white on the same day in Lagos and the village people came so it's not a must in my opinion. I'm Igbo by the way
A lost stupiid girl in lagos!! Both you and your mum are a disgrace!!! Your village is fetish, abi? Why don't you take your traditional weeding to osun where they're no fetish people? undecided Stuppid girl taking advice from an ignorant mother. I just wish every state in nigera would deport people like you so that we can see where you would end up.

Stay in another man's land, learn his language, embrace his culture and continue cursing your own people like you do here. But when your host calls you a fool, don't come running your mouth here cos you're technically lost in abroad sad

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by xmich(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
cynthia3d:
:Ur. Dad has finished telling u d story. So no need to argue its like so for the easterners no copy yoruba oooooo na dem dey trad even for main road cheesy
grin
cynthia3d:
:Ur. Dad has finished telling u d story. So no need to argue its like so for the easterners no copy yoruba oooooo na dem dey trad even for main road cheesy
wink
cynthia3d:
grin
cynthia3d:
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by tonychristopher: 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
My dad informed me of my cousin's wedding dat would b taking place at d village dis festive period, i den used d opportunity to ask him if its a must to do ones traditional wedding at d village, he was lyk yes its a must especially for we d female kids cos its customary so it won't seem as if we re OSU cos am from d eastern part of Nigeria nd to also show d family we re getting married to dat we ve roots and cum from sumwhere..I immediately closed d subject cos I didn't want to argue wit him, bt left wit me would prefer doing mine where I base..just want to know ur take on dis.

I doubt if your pure Igbo ..its only ofeke and efulefu can think like this ...thank Lord that your dad brought you back ..sorry are you from hmnm part of Igbo land that is called ala bu otu.. anambra girl can't think of this not to even ask it to her dad

Nne nota uno biko

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by tonychristopher: 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:
I don't belive it's a must... my cousins didn't do their's in our village so why should I? my village is a fetish place according to my Mum so going to do your trad wedding there is at your own risk.

Two of my cousins recently did their weddings and they both did both the trad and white on the same day in Lagos and the village people came so it's not a must in my opinion. I'm Igbo by the way
....when they say that village is fetish you will first of all look at the person talking

Do you have millions in your account that the witches will kill

Are you the richest people in your village

Has everybody died in your village

Dear...go home ..witches no see you cos attacking you will be waste of energy they have important assignment

.now let me tell you diabolism is everywhere ..you still see witches in Lagos and cities also

Stop ...are you ostracised from village ..how can a man marry you without knowing your root

Your not Igbo though

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Tallesty1(m): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
Babygal4eva:
According to your mom? So it is obvious that you don't even visit there, I see............
Is your mom an Igbo woman?

Is she cool with her husbands people?

Because no village is fetish.

They have their beliefs and gods but it is not compulsory that you join them.

Babygal4eva:
Your cousins violated the laws of our land and I am forwarding their case to amadioha rightaway.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Tallesty1(m): 4:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
englishmart:
still wondering why I will have to travel all the way from the states to Enugu just for a traditional marriage
Waito, nah there you from come?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by okotv(m): 4:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
Tallesty1:
According to your mom? So it is obvious that you don't even visit there, I see............
Is your mom an Igbo woman?

Is she cool with her husbands people?

Because no village is fetish.

They have their beliefs and gods but it is not compulsory that you join them.

Your cousins violated the laws of our land and I am forwarding their case to amadioha rightaway.
who is your paymaster for the case forwarding
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by englishmart(m): 4:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
Tallesty1:
Waito, nah there you from come?
yeah. And you?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by englishmart(m): 4:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
eagleeye2:

EFULEFU
ezigbo anuofia k'ibu
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Ogetogeo(m): 4:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
For Igbs, it has to be the girl father's house in the village.
For the Yorubas, it is where the parents resides, village or city.
Different cultures for different people.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by eagleeye2: 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
englishmart:
ezigbo anuofia k'ibu
Nna gi bu Anufia, O ya kpatara iji aju e ri k' EFULEFU
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Tallesty1(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
englishmart:
yeah. And you?
Same.

NSK
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Noneroone(m): 5:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
What kind of man will marry a girl who refused to take him home to her pple?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by rhames(m): 6:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
My dad informed me of my cousin's wedding dat would b taking place at d village dis festive period, i den used d opportunity to ask him if its a must to do ones traditional wedding at d village, he was lyk yes its a must especially for we d female kids cos its customary so it won't seem as if we re OSU cos am from d eastern part of Nigeria nd to also show d family we re getting married to dat we ve roots and cum from sumwhere..I immediately closed d subject cos I didn't want to argue wit him, bt left wit me would prefer doing mine where I base..just want to know ur take on dis.

Get to know that our African culture as beautiful as it is, has a a lot of drawbacks. One of them is the idea under discussion. Well just respect the culture coz u cant change it.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by lonelydora: 6:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
In my place in Abia, even if you wed in town. That traditional must be in the village, unless you will be regarded as half-baked.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by cynthia3d(f): 7:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
Anaskie:
God bless u swty. Dis was the same question a friend of mine asked me some months ago. When I told her that it was customary to have the traditional marriage in the village, she was really surprised.

She told me that her 2 elder sisters and her elder brother, who are all married did their trad weddings in the city, without even consulting the people in the village.

Anyways, she happens to be one of these Igbo girls who were born and bred in Ibadan, so somehow, they believe they are now Yorubas. The silly girl has been to her village only once in her life and doesn't understand a word of Igbo.

I really don't blame these Yoruba peeps sometimes when they say nasty things about Igbos trying to claim their ancestral lands.

Efulefu
my dear that's y we r more responsible than dem d only cultural heritage they know hw to pass on is hw to practice juju mtchewww

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by logoscope(m): 7:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
Chizzy20:
Babe, u wan do d traditional wedding for another person village b4... (^_^)

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by kelechiMarie(f): 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
IT ISNT COMPULSORY IN MY OPINION.My mum had her traditional wedding in d village cause her mum lived there but when my grandma's niece did hers,it was in lagos 'cause my grandma had moved.
Anyway,everyone's entitled to their opinion.I'm not a fan of my village people either,after all the things they've done
Finally,those of you trading insults lack proper training.Calling someone else's mom a LovePeddler,witch etc cause you dont agree with her shows the kind of ''perfect'' and ''cultured'' upbringing you've had
Typical of some backward Africanskiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by rossyc(f): 8:03pm On Dec 21, 2014
Their is a reason why it is called traditional wedding. You can decide to do your church wedding anywhere but once it is traditional and you are an igbo it should be done in ur village, your husband/inlaws should know ur root.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by okomogo(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
This is why our society is getting worse by the day, we are throwing away our cultural values, in my place your father is not the one giving out your hand in marriage, rather it's your uncles. Though if the couples are far away, the father of the girl will have to present the case and it will be officially approved before it can go on. Anything from that is error. If your parents are running away from your village and are telling you fables about your witch uncles, do your investigation well, they have something to hide other what they are telling you. Let's love and uphold our culture
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
They say d only constant thing is change. Our culture and tradition is also subject 2 change. Let us look at this scenario. It is called a trad wedding cos everytin is expected 2 be done traditionally I.e d way of the pple and place we come from. So I ideally u re expected u r expected 2 take it 2 ur village, just like when someone dies, dey take d corpse home. But times are changing, so our tradition ought 2 change as well. Going bk 2 d topic,pple find it comfortable 2 do d trad in d city, cos if u take so many factors in2 consideration like d cost of transportation, infact d cost of everytin, plus d stress, den d oda factor most women dread, which I think is just an aside issue, cos anybody dat wants 2 harm you can do it from anywhere, is d issue of "my pple are bad" and dey don't want ur good. So most pple would reason abeg 2 avoid all dis wahala make I do am 4 where I dey. But d point am trying 2 raise here is dat really culture should be dynamic, we shldnt in d name of culture put ourselves in harms way or some form of discomfort. Left 2 me d trad wedding can be done anywhere, just like we do d white mostly where we re comfortable. D best we can do wld be 2 invite some elders from ur area and dey still administer d wedding traditionally. But I know where d problem lies. Most of our parents were raised in d village, so for them, we must go bk for ur wedding.u can't negotiate it, my dad is a good example. Dere is notin u can tell him. My sister did hers in d villa. With time I believe our generation will not see it as a big deal 2 do d trad wedding in d city,I.e when our children want 2 get married, cos we grew up here. For the poster, if ur dad insists, just go by what he says and just commit everytin 2 God's hands. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by meekhat: 9:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
OP, there is no smoke without fire. I think the unholy culture of tagging some people 'outcaste' (OSU) in some part of Igbo land gave rise to this unpopular trend of conducting trad. Marriage in foriegn lands. Do you blame such people when they are discrimited against in their villages. If they take any ceremony to their villages, people avoid them like plague. It beats my imagination how people who claim to be Christians still cling to the archaic and paganistic 'OSU' nonsense. I come from a part of Enugu where nothing like Osu exist, so all families in my town do their trad. In the village.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Babygal4eva(f): 10:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
Nigga44:
A lost stupiid girl in lagos!! Both you and your mum are a disgrace!!! Your village is fetish, abi? Why don't you take your traditional weeding to osun where they're no fetish people? undecided Stuppid girl taking advice from an ignorant mother. I just wish every state in nigera would deport people like you so that we can see where you would end up.

Stay in another man's land, learn his language, embrace his culture and continue cursing your own people like you do here. But when your host calls you a fool, don't come running your mouth here cos you're technically lost in abroad sad

k
Re: Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? by Babygal4eva(f): 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
sCun:

Your Mom is a whoree and you are a disgrace for typing such senseless thing in public.
Keep thinking Lagos is your father's land until your eyes will be opened.

First of all thank you for calling my Mum a whoree, I refuse to exchange insultive words with people like you.

2ndly a reasonable person will ask why she said it is a fetish place, do you know who I am? or where I come from? or what my family has been through? what do you know of my life and my experiences that you say my mum is a LovePeddler and I think that Lagos is my land.

My dad's family is in a land battle so is my mum's family and seeing as I lost my dad and 2 uncles in the same week yes I will say It here that I won't ever do my trad wedding in either village, pls think before you talk, you think that insulting someones Mother makes you a big guy and because people are liking your comment that you have achieved something yeah? well again I say Thank you and may nobody ever say the same about your Mother

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From The Lake Efi Festival Held In Sabageria, Bayelsa State / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Do African's Love Asian People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.