Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) - Agriculture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) (168620 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / How To Start And Grow A Profitable Plantain Flour Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:20am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:55pm On Mar 03, 2017
Connect with me on www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:49pm On Mar 05, 2017
Happy Sunday people!
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by jobzytravels(m): 10:23am On Mar 06, 2017
A Local farmer told me that a plantain sucker produces their best bunch at first harvest and the size of bunches they produce after that becomes smaller and smaller and also the lifeline of a plantain farm is 3 years. How true is this please?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:20pm On Mar 06, 2017
jobzytravels:
A Local farmer told me that a plantain sucker produces their best bunch at first harvest and the size of bunches they produce after that becomes smaller and smaller and also the lifeline of a plantain farm is 3 years. How true is this please?
Not true.
After the first harvest,you still need to fertilise (add manure) year in year out to get the best.
Plantain farm if well manage will last decades

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by jobzytravels(m): 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2017
Lesgupnigeria:

Not true.
After the first harvest,you still need to fertilise (add manure) year in year out to get the best.
Plantain farm if well manage will last decades
Thank you.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Agritech(m): 4:45pm On Mar 06, 2017
jobzytravels:

It might be true if the suckers used in planting was infested with pests such as nematodes and beetles. The parasitic pressure increases year after year and the bunches becomes progressively smaller.

That's why one must plant with clean planting materials, ie suckers free from pest and diseases. One can plant tissue culture suckers or macropragated suckers from a nursery that follows the proper phytosanitary procedure.

If one must plant normal suckers, one must ensure that they are pared, ie the root and the outer part peeled as yam is peeled. Nematodes mostly reside in the roots and outer part of the corm. One must ensure that the paring isn't done in the new farm as one would be transferring the pest to the farm. After that, the suckers should be deeped into boiling water for exactly 30 seconds. The heat would kill any left over nematodes and beetles.

If clean planting materials are used, like Lesgupnigeria said they won't become smaller provided the plantation is well taken care of.

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2017
Agritech:

It might be true if the suckers used in planting was infested with pests such as nematodes and beetles. The parasitic pressure increases year after year and the bunches becomes progressively smaller.

That's why one must plant with clean planting materials, ie suckers free from pest and diseases. One can plant tissue culture suckers or macropragated suckers from a nursery that follows the proper phytosanitary procedure.

If one must plant normal suckers, one must ensure that they are pared, ie the root and the outer part peeled as yam is peeled. Nematodes mostly reside in the roots and outer part of the corm. One must ensure that the paring isn't done in the new farm as one would be transferring the pest to the farm. After that, the suckers should be deeped into boiling water for exactly 30 seconds. The heat would kill any left over nematodes and beetles.

If clean planting materials are used, like Lesgupnigeria said they won't become smaller provided the plantation is well taken care of.
Perfectly stated.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:24am On Mar 07, 2017
Plantain occupies a strategic position for rapid food production in Nigeria. It is ranked third among starchy staple foods. Production still remains largely in the hands of small-scale producers who, over the years, have ingeniously integrated it into various cropping systems.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by jobzytravels(m): 9:19am On Mar 07, 2017
Agritech:

Thank you for your contribution. My suckers are from IITA, so i guess it should be of standard, nevertheless, i would make an inquiry about the suckers concerning what you said about good suckers. Thank you once again.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:25pm On Mar 07, 2017
Plantain, being a perishable food item, substantial quantities rot away in a short period after harvest because farmers plant and harvest at the same time and flood the markets with the product.
Therefore there is need to have ready made market before starting.
You can contact me on 08164628081,08092034147 for market linkage before starting.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by ambellinaa(m): 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2017
Please can I buy from you... I am into trade of plantain.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2017
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:02am On Mar 09, 2017
ambellinaa:
Please can I buy from you... I am into trade of plantain.
Contact me on 08164628081 to discuss
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:31am On Mar 10, 2017
You can make millions from plantain business.
Get to learn more from www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:47am On Mar 11, 2017
Did you know that demand for plantain has increased by 280 per cent since 2010, and is expected to steadily increase in the years to come?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
Plantain pays..Do it
check www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:47pm On Mar 13, 2017
By now, it should be no surprise to you that agriculture is the most lucrative business sector in Nigeria. This has led to a huge boost in local and international investment, which has seen the agriculture industries potential increase exponentially.

If you’re still thinking about whether or not to invest in Nigerian agriculture, you should stop thinking and make a decision today. My advice to you is – don’t delay. The industry is so full of potential, and moving so quickly that you risk being left behind.
www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:36pm On Mar 14, 2017
You might be wondering why is plantain farming such a lucrative business? Plantain farming in Nigeria is so lucrative because plantain features heavily in the staple diet of most Nigerians. The few farmers who are successfully operating in this sector are making millions of Naira.
Join the train.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:40am On Mar 15, 2017
There is a large demand for plantain across the world and in Nigeria, but supply is struggling to meet demand. You can fulfill this demand and providing yourself with a healthy income!
Do plantain.
Check www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:26pm On Mar 15, 2017
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:38am On Mar 16, 2017
If you’re still thinking about whether or not to invest in agricultural sector, plantain subsector, you should stop thinking and make a decision today. My advice to you is – don’t delay. The industry is so full of potential, and moving so quickly that you risk being left behind.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
Many people today are still wallowing in abject poverty notwithstanding that they can still conveniently do some things about the sad situation and rescue themselves from poverty, take care of the situation by embarking on personal business or the other instead of waiting endlessly for a white collar job that may be here today and gone tomorrow.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 16, 2017
Nice thread!
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:33am On Mar 17, 2017
DJHANDSOME:
Nice thread!
Thanks.God bless you.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:20am On Mar 18, 2017
For those interested in plantain cultivation, this thread will provide you with just enough knowledge needed to go into its farming and take part of the profits that those already in the business are enjoying.
Check www.Facebook.com/waleagro for more
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:08pm On Mar 19, 2017
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
Starting a plantain farming is very lucrative because any amount it gives you on the first harvest, be sure that with less hard work than all that you started with, you would be making an increment year by year till the next 20 years.
Do plantain...it pays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:17pm On Mar 21, 2017
Youth unemployment climbs to 24% according to National bureau of statistics.
If every unemployed youth can cultivate at least 1 hectare of plantain,then I am very sure within 2-3 years,the rate would have been drastically reduce by more than half,increased production and billion of dollar of foreign exchange will be saved.
Get more from www.Facebook.com/waleagro
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:27pm On Mar 23, 2017
"The size of your farm should depend on the size of your dream, creativity and innovation. Avoid taking on too much than you can be able to handle financially and in terms of personnel’. Besides embracing modern farming practices, seeds and technology, be passionate about what you do and give farming additional time’.
Check www.facebook.com/waleagro for more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (68) (Reply)

My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.