Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? (13177 Views)

Belivers In God,is It A Must For All Born Again Xtian To Speak In Tongue / Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? / Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by i1: 10:28am On Dec 21, 2014
thete are many instances of pastors who are lawyers... once faith enhances one career as it is the lord that blesses one.
furthermore i hate it when people automatically assume lawyers are liars becuase of thier proffesion. one can practice without lying. most times a lawyer states the story as told to him by the client and uses his proffessional judgement to decide what part of the story to omit or add.
as a practising lawyer, our duty 1st is to the court and society then to our Client. and we are to use all the skills in our stable to protect our client interests but we keep in mind our duty to the courts
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by MadCow1: 10:30am On Dec 21, 2014
jonescyras:
Could you please name a successful nigerian lawyer who had never lied in the law court?......

This is Nigeria

Even if your clients are innocents and should be favored based on the true-facts that bounds them, a good and a successful lawyer to be must go extra meters to add more salt to the already truth just to make the whole show look more favorable!.......

Lol.. What corner of the earth do you creatures come from please?

Lie in court? Have you ever heard of perjury?
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Facosco(m): 10:31am On Dec 21, 2014
Am not sure its possible apart from lying in court to argue your case, you have to lie to your clients in order to get enough money from them apart from your professional charges
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by nerodenero: 10:32am On Dec 21, 2014
watchhisposter:

Anyway I think as a lawyer if your client comes to you with a bunch of lies and provides his evidence to corroborate that and you repeat his lies in court, you have only spoken the truth to the best of your knowledge. Your client is the one lying.
Well said.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 21, 2014
dhope:
it really baffles me d way dis profession is being practised considering d way and manner dey tell series of lies to defend their clients in court all to ensure dey win d case for dem. we all know d codes and coducts dt guide xtianity but how can a xtian bcom a successful lawyer in dis dirty world without bearing false witness in court for his/her client?
Ethics of Law permits a counsel to do whatever s/he can to win the case for his/her client, even if its to lie. Xtian ethics goes against lying. So, when u wanna pursue ur career in law, think twice, u can't sit on the fence. Either you are for Law, or u r for the Lord. I've been in a courtroom several times, in fact I've been on attachment at a state high court as well. I have lawyer friends, and I understand what it entails to be a lawyer. My opinion is that its not a good profession for a 'born-again' xtian
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by finofaya: 10:33am On Dec 21, 2014
MadCow1:

A Lawyer does not tell lies.. Simple.

They simply try to plead their cases using the requirements and provisions of the law to exonerate their client.

Telling lies in court is perjury and any lawyer that is involved I such would lose their licence to practice.

Do you practice?
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by MadCow1: 10:34am On Dec 21, 2014
finofaya:

Do you practice?

I am not a lawyer. . But I grew up in court.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by didactic70: 10:36am On Dec 21, 2014
A born~again xtian can b a successful lawyer if he is choosy of his clients.He should know about d case b4 embarking on it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by finofaya: 10:37am On Dec 21, 2014
veraiyke:
logically ur arg follows.

Thank you. I hope you are convinced.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by datone: 10:38am On Dec 21, 2014
Hey check this

http:///3191

Nice site
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by francy002: 10:39am On Dec 21, 2014
If dere r,dey will b vry few,lyk 1 in 70,dey lie 2 make ends meet,evn dos dt claim dey r righous will one day in one case or d oda lie or mayb lie because of huge money dat follows it,I hate dt profession,n I cnt marry a lawyer n will nt wnt my child 2 b a lawyer,I wnt all of us 2 inherit HEAVEN at last.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by bynat(f): 10:39am On Dec 21, 2014
Wetin born again dey find for court, can't he Cast
Bind
Subdue
Arrest
Reject
And
Refuse the lies of the people of the world?
Afu maka biko lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by gbodimowo(m): 10:41am On Dec 21, 2014
It is as the knowledge is from above and got appointed judges a subset of the legal profession to deal with cases
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Crownofwealth(m): 10:41am On Dec 21, 2014
Am a lawyer.my immediate boss is a pastor.with wot i have seen i think it will be very difficult for a christian to be a lawyer cos the temptations are so much. that not withstanding. a born again christian will or can still be a successful lawyer without involving in fraudulent practices. furthermore in response to a comment above. pls note that lawyers are nt liars.they onli put forward the case of their clients as presented to them by the client.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 21, 2014
It is amazing how litigants heap their crimes on their lawyers. Clients come to you with twisted facts and some of them cover up the facts till you get to court and some surprises would begin to spring up when the clients are put in the witness box and purged with the fire of cross examination by the opposing counsel.

Lawyers are not the ones lying, we present the litigants' cases like they present it before us. Perhaps what you deduce as lying may be the application of logic and the rules of evidence by lawyers.

There was this one that happened in the High Court of Lagos, Igbosere, in a land case. I think the land was bought for like 20 million naira as written in the witness' deposition on oath. So under cross examination, the opposing counsel asked the litigant's witness:

Opposing Counsel: How much was the land bought?

Witness: 1 million Naira

Opposing Counsel: you made a deposition on oath which is before this honourable court.
Witness: Yes

Opposing Counsel: Refer to your paragraph 4 of the statement on oath and see where you deposed that the land was bought for 20 million naira and then reconcile it with your present statement of 1 million naira

Witness: (Mute)

Opposing Counsel: which of your testimonies do you want this honourable court to believe, 20 million or 1 million

Witness: (looking daft and stuttering) Both

Everyone in court sparked laughter grin ...so sure the court held itself so hard not to laugh

So in essence, you clients are the liars.

Happy Sunday and Xmas in advance.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by seangy4konji: 10:44am On Dec 21, 2014
Yes it's possible in Nigeria but na once in 3 years he go deh go court and na world health organization go deh feed am or mission.

He go hungry,he go suffer,he go tire. He be gentle man like that.me? I no be gentle man at all.

I be African man ORIGINAL. (Rip Fela Anikulapo Kuti).
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by thunder74(m): 10:46am On Dec 21, 2014
jonescyras:
Could you please name a successful nigerian lawyer who had never lied in the law court?......

This is Nigeria

Even if your clients are innocents and should be favored based on the true-facts that bounds them, a good and a successful lawyer to be must go extra meters to add more salt to the already truth just to make the whole show look more favorable!.......

It depends on your definition of success. As for me, I am very successful as a Christian lawyer bc I am fulfilled and happy. I am married with kids, mobile, shelter on my head, food for my belly, play my responsibilities in my family and church, and a blessing to the less privileged and I don't tell lie or add lie to my practice of over a decade.
You need to change your concept of this lawyer are lier thing and don't allow that to hinder your success as a lawyer if you are.
In fact any lawyer that lies is not different from a Pastor that sleeps with his church members bc they both know what they are doing is bad.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 21, 2014
FeverRay:
Ethics of Law permits a counsel to do whatever s/he can to win the case for his/her client, even if its to lie. Xtian ethics goes against lying. So, when u wanna pursue ur career in law, think twice, u can't sit on the fence. Either you are for Law, or u r for the Lord. I've been in a courtroom several times, in fact I've been on attachment at a state high court as well. I have lawyer friends, and I understand what it entails to be a lawyer. My opinion is that its not a good profession for a 'born-again' xtian

Please ethics of which damn profession permit who to do what to win a case Are you for real or are youu just trying to belong Please say what you know. The fact that some lawyers go out of their way including being ruthless to 'win' a case does not mean or prosuppose that our RPC supports it. What manner of misrepresentation is this Makes me wanna puke...awwwww undecided
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by gbodimowo(m): 10:46am On Dec 21, 2014
finofaya:

This your OP should be in the career section.

I don't think you've been inside a court room before, judging by the misconception you have about lawyers.

I'm sure you realize that a lawyer can resort to lying only when the facts are not in his/her favour. Therefore, you cannot lie when the facts are in your favour. It is not correct to say that lawyers always lie. You have to choose your clients carefully. A lawyer cannot bear false witness anyway, since it is the litigant who gives evidence.

If you've heard of appeal, you'd know that a lawyer would have to lie his way through at least three different courts and 8 different judges in order to completely win a case. It is difficult to lie your way to total victory in court. Lawyers also depend on their reputations a lot; if you're a known liar, judges tend to be wary of you and it becomes harder to get away with stuff, meaning less success for you.

There are quite a number of lawyers, SAN's even, who are good christians. You have the likes of Ozekhome or Izinyon in this category.

A born again christian lawyer should not define career success in terms of money, instead it should be defined by the positive impact you have on the resolution of particular disputes and on the legal system in general. Generally, any person that sets out to make all of the money would not qualify as a born again christian. Money is said to be the root of all evil.

You don't have to be a trial lawyer. There are so many other options available to you that don't involve advocacy.

A lot of times, litigants think lawyers are telling lies because they fail to grasp that legal requirements for evidence differ from their personal requirements for evidence.

So yes, a born again christian, what ever that means, can be a successful lawyer, just as he can be a successful business man. There is nothing about being a lawyer that requires lying.

Justice has been served to the topic

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by finofaya: 10:48am On Dec 21, 2014
MadCow1:

I am not a lawyer. . But I grew up in court.

I guess you have an idea of the whole thing. You would know a lot more from being. In a law office.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Footsoldier(m): 10:49am On Dec 21, 2014
integrity and honesty.
dhope:
it really baffles me d way dis profession is being practised considering d way and manner dey tell series of lies to defend their clients in court all to ensure dey win d case for dem. we all know d codes and coducts dt guide xtianity but how can a xtian bcom a successful lawyer in dis dirty world without bearing false witness in court for his/her client?
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by nduchucks: 10:52am On Dec 21, 2014
Funny question OP.

As I understand it, every human being who is a xtian sins on a daily basis and he/she is renewed in preparation for heaven by daily prayers of forgiveness.

Xtian Lawyers are not any more sinful than than others and as long as they make their daily 'confession' and prayers for forgiveness, they should be OK.

Now, from the point of view of other religions, if they do not belong, lawyer or not, they are hell bound. lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 21, 2014
This might be kind of Late but i will give this insight out.
The Bible says "Look unto JESUS the Author and perfecter of our FAITH" Now who is Jesus in the content of ur question? The Bible gives an answer.
"There is only one Lawgiver and Judge" Who then is the Judge? The Bible gives deeper knowledge again It goes further and says "The Lord shall judge his people" Jesus then been the Lord judges with right Judgement and He made a wonderful promise "He who believes in me greater work than this will He do" In the context of ur question You can do more than Jesus did then, You can offer right judgement if yee look unto Jesus.How am I sure of this? Because "With God all things are possible"
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by philips70(m): 10:53am On Dec 21, 2014
finofaya:

I don't think you've been inside a court room before, judging by the misconception you have about lawyers.

I'm sure you realize that a lawyer can resort to lying only when the facts are not in his/her favour. Therefore, you cannot lie when the facts are in your favour. It is not correct to say that lawyers always lie. You have to choose your clients carefully. A lawyer cannot bear false witness anyway, since it is the litigant who gives evidence.

If you've heard of appeal, you'd know that a lawyer would have to lie his way through at least three different courts and 8 different judges in order to completely win a case. It is difficult to lie your way to total victory in court. Lawyers also depend on their reputations a lot; if you're a known liar, judges tend to be wary of you and it becomes harder to get away with stuff, meaning less success for you.

There are quite a number of lawyers, SAN's even, who are good christians. You have the likes of Ozekhome or Izinyon in this category.

A born again christian lawyer should not define career success in terms of money, instead it should be defined by the positive impact you have on the resolution of particular disputes and on the legal system in general. Generally, any person that sets out to make all of the money would not qualify as a born again christian. Money is said to be the root of all evil.

You don't have to be a trial lawyer. There are so many other options available to you that don't involve advocacy.

A lot of times, litigants think lawyers are telling lies because they fail to grasp that legal requirements for evidence differ from their personal requirements for evidence.

So yes, a born again christian, what ever that means, can be a successful lawyer, just as he can be a successful business man. There is nothing about being a lawyer that requires lying.

Did I just read Izinyon? Ibori's lawyer? Politicians lawyer born again? Mba, not possible. Maybe outside Nigeria
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by LEOSIRSIR(m): 10:53am On Dec 21, 2014
I know of a lawyer, a Pastor, and currently GMB running mate Ask Him that.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by Acekidc4(m): 10:55am On Dec 21, 2014
Almost all Lawyers re bloody Liar. Some lie pass devil. Itz vry rare to c an SU Lawyer become vry successful. Don't u pple knw we re in a world were lying is payin faster dan yahoo!
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by veraiyke(m): 10:56am On Dec 21, 2014
finofaya:

Thank you. I hope you are convinced.
I ve my conviction alredy dat one can b a lawyer n suxesfel without lying to win cases
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by thunder74(m): 10:58am On Dec 21, 2014
No profession teaches you to lie. Lie is in every man from birth. Mechanics tell lies, Doctors tell lie, Police lie, vulcanisers lie. Lawyers that lie do not lie bc they are lawyers but bc they are human. Human nature is corrupt even if he is a Pastor.
Every evidence you give in court is presumably true bc it is given on oath.

Lawyers are supposed to be ministers in the temple of justice. As for me, when you come and lie to me as a client, I will know and will give the best advice to solve your problem and in most cases, I usually recommend mediation and settlement.

If it is a criminal matter, our jurisprudence does not expect you to proof your innocence but for the state to proof beyond reasonable doubt that you are guilty even if you choose to tell the truth is some capital offences. In murder cases even if an accuse pleads guilty, the court will still write not guilty for him until the state is able to proof their case.
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by jonescyras(m): 10:58am On Dec 21, 2014
MadCow1:

Lol.. What corner of the earth do you creatures come from please?

Lie in court? Have you ever heard of perjury?
I don't mean to lie per say!.....
Logically speaking this is what I mean

The truth is 2+1=3

But lawyers will say 1+2-x2\2=3

What brings about other figures other that 1 and 2?
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by youngice(m): 10:59am On Dec 21, 2014
finofaya:

its posts like this that makes me love nl
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by AWONEYAN(m): 11:01am On Dec 21, 2014
Yes....pastor Baiyeshea.(san) is a living example..he is not a xtian but a Christlike disciple in all ramifications... Yet a successful and intelligennt lawyer...his chamber is in Ilorin
Re: Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? by MNDY(m): 11:02am On Dec 21, 2014
dhope:

Reminds me of Joshua my friend reading Law!
---------------------
He appears the very pious type! I would always remind him that lawyers are liars and will all go to hell!
---------------------
A lawyer can never be always on the just's side only! Joshua would always give me the lame excuse that there are Christian lawyers who are specialized in/handle religious cases only, and that that is the area his own law profession will tilt towards!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Real Life Experiences With "Ogbanje" People. / How To Increase Your Faith – By Rev. Kenneth E. Hagin / What Are The Words In The Bible That Scare You Most As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.