Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. (10207 Views)

Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) / Urgent!! My Rx 300 Smoking Black Andconsuming Fuel Seriuosly. Help!! / Please Help!!!!!, My 2003 Honda Accord Cannot Exceed 3000rpm(Limp mode) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by disloman(m): 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2014
Piyke:

No it wasn't at a Honda Place, unfortunately Honda Place doesn't accept American specs. I've tried both Abj, PH and Enugu branches.
Honda palace is diff frm Honda place.Honda place is d sole honda partner in nigeria.Honda place apapa do accept american specs.I work there.

1 Like

Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by disloman(m): 8:35pm On Dec 28, 2014
Piyke:

N10,500 6 years ago. The thing about the ATF stuff is that a lot of Nigerian mechanics and driver's alike don't respect ATF requirements, they just pour in any type of ATF and Honda transmissions are unforgiving when this is done.
True but most customers don't like to b told d truth n they compare alot.They r also not sincere.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Piyke: 10:23am On Dec 29, 2014
disloman:
Honda palace is diff frm Honda place.Honda place is d sole honda partner in nigeria.Honda place apapa do accept american specs.I work there.
Hmmm. Never knew there was a Honda palace, but wasn't there either. Good to know Lag HP accepts American spec though Lag is just too off from my location.
My personal rule now is that I don't take my car to anywhere where I can't enter the repair shop floor. For the bigger tasks, I just do my research on the issue well, and where necessary guide my mechanic.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by disloman(m): 12:30am On Dec 30, 2014
Piyke:

Hmmm. Never knew there was a Honda palace, but wasn't there either. Good to know Lag HP accepts American spec though Lag is just too off from my location.
My personal rule now is that I don't take my car to anywhere where I can't enter the repair shop floor. For the bigger tasks, I just do my research on the issue well, and where necessary guide my mechanic.
Lolzzzzzz.Okay boss.appreciate ur sincerity.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
Guys, my car is at it again.

I had engine mount problems which led to my replacing the rear and the left engine mounts this afternoon. There was tight space to remove the bad rear mount. The mechanic had to move it repeatedly pushing stuff out of the way. Engine harness passes around there to the ECU.

All repairs finished with good result and even took it to car wash 300m away for only external wash. I left the car wash and 500m away CEL came on with D light flashing and N light staying lit. I parked, scanned and got P0705 same code from beginning of this thread. I checked to see if they pushed out any electrical connector especially one that leads to Park/neutral position switch but did find any. I cleared the cel hoping my little trouble shoot would hv accidentally solved the problem. I got the cel the next 500m. It still drives good and shifts well too. The cel keeps coming back after few minutes of driving.

I dont know if i should investigate the ECU for water like last time or what? The problem isnt exactly like before with this one less DTC's and less errors diaplayed at the instrument panel. The coincidence with all the activity around the engine harness gives me concern.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Kashif(m): 7:37am On Jul 22, 2015
adanny01:

I had engine mount problems which led to my replacing the rear and the left engine mounts this afternoon. There was tight space to remove the bad rear mount. The mechanic had to move it repeatedly pushing stuff out of the way. Engine harness passes around there to the ECU.

All repairs finished with good result and even took it to car wash 300m away for only external wash. I left the car wash and 500m away CEL came on with D light flashing and N light staying lit. I parked, scanned and got P0705 same code from beginning of this thread. I checked to see if they pushed out any electrical connector especially one that leads to Park/neutral position switch but did find any. I cleared the cel hoping my little trouble shoot would hv accidentally solved the problem. I got the cel the next 500m. It still drives good and shifts well too. The cel keeps coming back after few minutes of driving.

I dont know if i should investigate the ECU for water like last time or what? The problem isnt exactly like before with this one less DTC's and less errors diaplayed at the instrument panel. The coincidence with all the activity around the engine harness gives me concern.

Which Honda is this? Engine? Checking the ECU is not a bad way to start, but you need more time to get to the root.

When a device or sensor is mentioned in a scan result, it does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad. A circuit involving it is malfunctioning. You will have to check all cables for short, open, leakage, etc.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:00am On Jul 22, 2015
adanny01:

Re-adjust park neutral switch, if it does not work have it replaced.

It's on front right side near the wheel.

Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 9:33am On Jul 22, 2015
Thanks Kashif and GAZZUZZ.

I did try to adjust its connector and followed its harness to another connector which i made sure it clipped very well. I worked on all connectors i could access around there but the CEL still came back.

That was yesterday. This morning, i have driven more than 10miles with nothing showing up. I hope it goes away for good. I shall report back with any development.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by lonelydora: 10:24am On Jul 22, 2015
I'm here
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2015
25 miles so far, no CEL.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2015
adanny01:
25 miles so far, no CEL.

grin

I sued to have a faulty O2 sensor that would cover 1200km without any codes shocked
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Kashif(m): 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Re-adjust park neutral switch, if it does not work have it replaced.

It's on front right side near the wheel.

I wonder why this same code got cleared the first time without touching the PNR switch.

From Honda, the code says: Short in transmission range circuit switch (multiple shift-position input). Associated monitor: Comprehensive.

P0706 is for open. Honda could be funny with codes sha.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 1:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
Kashif:

I wonder why this same code got cleared the first time without touching the PNR switch.

From Honda, the code says: Short in transmission range circuit switch (multiple shift-position input). Associated monitor: Comprehensive.

P0706 is for open. Honda could be funny with codes sha.

We did open the switch the last time but it didnt stop the problem. It ended up with water in the ECU. Maybe water causes a short in its circuit but why not other circuits.

I must confess, my car floor is a bit moist from last car wash. I have removed the floor mats and left all doors open in the sun to dry since morning when i arrived the office. My thoughts are that mist rising from the slightly wet floor probably condensed inside the ECU causing the same problem like last time. The fact that the effect manifested just after leaving a mechanic garage may be a coincidence. However, if i had condensed mist in the ECU from yesterday evening, i dont thing it dried up so fast from an enclosed space within the hours of the night.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2015
GAZZUZZ, you swear for my car?

I had thought my problems were mysteriously over until i closed from work about to take off for my village where my grandma's grave will were a new look.

I tried to start and there was no kick. Tried a couple of times and finally it started. I was like what just happened. I had to eat 1st so i stopped for some food but the key would come out from the ignition or move to 0 position. I now tried to start, but not kick. I tried to remove gear shifter from park after depressing brake but it wont move. I looked up while the ignition was on but no gear position lights. I fiddled shifter a little and the P light flashed. In the same process i did and the car started but gear wont go out of park so i did manually. Reverse didnt activate until i move the shifter repeatedly until it engaged. I drove gen

I was able to get to a mechanic workshop where they changed the park/neutral switch for a trial. It didnt inprove. Mine was returned and voila, its working again. I will be lost if it happens again.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Piyke: 7:46pm On Jul 23, 2015
adanny01:

I had thought my problems were mysteriously over until i closed from work about to take off for my village where my grandma's grave will were a new look.

I tried to start and there was no kick. Tried a couple of times and finally it started. I was like what just happened. I had to eat 1st so i stopped for some food but the key would come out from the ignition or move to 0 position. I now tried to start, but not kick. I tried to remove gear shifter from park after depressing brake but it wont move. I looked up while the ignition was on but no gear position lights. I fiddled shifter a little and the P light flashed. In the same process i did and the car started but gear wont go out of park so i did manually. Reverse didnt activate until i move the shifter repeatedly until it engaged. I drove gen

I was able to get to a mechanic workshop where they changed the park/neutral switch for a trial. It didnt inprove. Mine was returned and voila, its working again. I will be lost if it happens again.

Cars can be funny sometimes. I think a new switch is still iindicated. Maybe the one used for the trial was bad as well, or should I say 'badder' than yours
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2015
adanny01:

It is well.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by viazi: 7:45am On Jul 24, 2015
My take Bro, I have used Honda for a very long time now, my advice is that U always ensure U buy an OEM part, if not the part U are buying may be worse than what U are changing. Regards
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 9:42am On Jul 27, 2015
I wrote an update but wasn't aware it didn't post before i went offline during the weekend.

My issue resurfaced after leaving the mechanic but the car moves well even though the lights flickered. The mechanic proposed to buy another and replace but since my favorite mechanic was 200km away, i risked it. I arrived safe and in the morning went to him.

He opened the the Park/neutral switch as shown in the picture shared by GAZZUZZ above. There was nothing strange as he had previously opened it during the last episode that gave rise to this thread. He sprayed the contacts with carb cleaner cleaning off all the grease. He then scratched the contact points with a flat screw driver and reapplied grease. He put back the screws and reinstalled. It worked like the new one the mechanic in Abj proposed. I appreciated him with N1,000 and he was very very grateful. It took about 20mins and could have been an easy DIY.

This is how it looks from the inside as shown below.

These are the symptoms of a transmission code related to the park/neutral switch or called transmission range switch in my case P0705;

- Car won't start, no sound or click when you turn the key
- P, R, N, D, D3, 2, 1 won't light up or some will not show or may flicker when shifter is at their position
- Key stays stuck in ignition switch and won't come to zero (0) position or come out at all.
- Shift lever stuck in Park even though brake switch tends to click
- may start only in neutral

Solution is either readjust switch, readjust shifter cable, clean corroded/dirty contacts and in worst case replacement of the switch.

Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by adanny01(m): 9:45am On Jul 27, 2015
viazi:
My take Bro, I have used Honda for a very long time now, my advice is that U always ensure U buy an OEM part, if not the part U are buying may be worse than what U are changing. Regards

I didnt buy any part in relation to this problem. The first one was water in my ECU and this one was a contact problem inside the park/neutral switch which was sorted out by cleaning the contact surfaces.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Piyke: 3:38pm On Apr 12, 2020
adanny01:
I wrote an update but wasn't aware it didn't post before i went offline during the weekend.

My issue resurfaced after leaving the mechanic but the car moves well even though the lights flickered. The mechanic proposed to buy another and replace but since my favorite mechanic was 200km away, i risked it. I arrived safe and in the morning went to him.

He opened the the Park/neutral switch as shown in the picture shared by GAZZUZZ above. There was nothing strange as he had previously opened it during the last episode that gave rise to this thread. He sprayed the contacts with carb cleaner cleaning off all the grease. He then scratched the contact points with a flat screw driver and reapplied grease. He put back the screws and reinstalled. It worked like the new one the mechanic in Abj proposed. I appreciated him with N1,000 and he was very very grateful. It took about 20mins and could have been an easy DIY.

This is how it looks from the inside as shown below.

These are the symptoms of a transmission code related to the park/neutral switch or called transmission range switch in my case P0705;

- Car won't start, no sound or click when you turn the key
- P, R, N, D, D3, 2, 1 won't light up or some will not show or may flicker when shifter is at their position
- Key stays stuck in ignition switch and won't come to zero (0) position or come out at all.
- Shift lever stuck in Park even though brake switch tends to click
- may start only in neutral

Solution is either readjust switch, readjust shifter cable, clean corroded/dirty contacts and in worst case replacement of the switch.

I cleaned mine yesterday. Have a very occasional no-start in park position. Very infrequent. Will observe and see if it repeats...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYaNZSaGerg

2 Likes

Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by HEAVEN4444: 7:56pm On Jul 01, 2021
adanny01:
I am positing this in real time as a last resort to finding out what is wrong with my car.

It started 2days ago when i felt 2 jerks while heading home. I thought it came from the gear but yesterday it repeated, this time i concluded it was fuel pump because of its consistency. The first instance threw up CEL with 2 codes P0138 as shown in the screen shot below.

I cleared that and it never came back. I had an 80mile trip yesterday and had the jerking very serious but on my return trip the problem disappeared completely.

This morning, the car jerked twice and engine stalled preceeded by jerks 1km away from the first jerks. Am there right now.

The code i now have is P0705 and the car systems have gone gaga. D, CEL and battery light are all flashing but D sometimes stops. While P, R, N, D, D3, 2 and 1 intermitently flash or stay on.

My electician whom i have been guiding removed what i believe is the Transmission range sensor and cleaned the inside with no result.

The car will start reverse, but stalls on D We tried to drive to his workshop against my wish on D3 but it stalled after making a u turn and driving about 500m. After the stall, all the D gear positions are lit. In addition, a sound of an electrical switch is making noise.
let me quote my nigga before he change the thread lol
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by Piyke: 6:32pm On Jul 02, 2021
Piyke:

I cleaned mine yesterday. Have a very occasional no-start in park position. Very infrequent. Will observe and see if it repeats...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYaNZSaGerg

Just to confirm that after more than a year of this cleaning, I have never had the "no-start in Park, but starts in Neutral" again.
Re: URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. by alphaNomega: 6:45am On Jul 03, 2021
Piyke:

Just to confirm that after more than a year of this cleaning, I have never had the "no-start in Park, but starts in Neutral" again.
Splendid!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honda Pilot Advice Needed / 15 Interesting Fun Facts About The Mercedes Benz And Daimler AG / Has Your Car Ever Disappointed You When You Needed It The Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.