Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,633 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff (22054 Views)

I’m More Than Ready To Meet Modu Sheriff In Court – Fani-kayode / APC Accepts Ali Modu Sheriff Back Into The Party - Photo / Obasanjo: “What I Found Out About Boko Haram” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Praktikals(m): 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
Source
leadership.ng/news/396663/know-boko-haram-modu-sheriff
Former governor of Borno State, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, has opened up on what he knows about the Boko Haram insurgents currently ravaging states in the northeast and some other parts of the country, while disclosing that only the neighbouring Republic of Chad could help solve the menace.

Sheriff, while speaking in a BBC Hausa Service magazine programme (Gane Mini Hanya) yesterday, and monitored by LEADERSHIP Sunday in Abuja, denied reports saying that Boko Haram started during his tenure as governor of Borno State between 2003 and 2011. He revealed that the radical religious sect actually started in Yobe State in 1992, and that he has been trying to find a lasting solution to it, including talking to the Chadian government.

the former governor, who is also at the centre of a controversy surrounding the sponsorship of the Boko Haram insurgency, following claims by an Australian negotiator, Steven Davis, that he and a former chief of army staff, General Azubuike Ihejirika, were allegedly backing the insurgents, said Chad could help in solving the issue.

Although, the former governor along with Iherijika were exonerated of any complicity during the week by the Department of State Security (DSS), but reacting to his exoneration by the DSS, which paraded people it called fake Boko Haram ceasefire negotiators that confessed to implicating him and Ihejirika after inducement, Sheriff said it is the truth that has come to prevail over falsehood and that he has been vindicated by the latest revelations from the arrested impostors, who allegedly connived with the negotiator, Davis.

He alleged that the Borno State government was responsible for the orchestrated plot to frame him up with the Boko Haram sponsorship allegation in order to defame his character.

Keeping mute on how Chad could possibly help in solving the problem, Sheriff added that since he is one of the few politicians that has benefitted greatly from the kindness of Borno State, as such he is doing whatever it is to help solve the insurgency.

“Nothing preoccupies my mind in Nigeria presently like the return of peace in Borno. When Borno State was peaceful, there was no place I cherished to stay in the world like Maiduguri. I, my friends, my confidants, my parents and all the schools I attended are in Maiduguri.

“Therefore, I am more concerned than anybody in this country, because what Borno State did for me has not been done to any other indigene. You know, in Borno State, a governor has never been re-elected apart from me; in Borno State, no senator has ever been elected thrice apart from me. So, Borno people have done everything for me, and there is no one in this world that I know other than Chad, which I think could help Borno,” he said.

On his belief that he was being framed, Sheriff said: “They defamed my character, and when they started it, I once told journalists that it was plotted in Maiduguri. We know the plotters, their motives, and that by the grace of God, the truth will prevail; and now, the arrested impostors have said it all to the world.”

The former governor alleged that the current Borno State government’s connection with plot to defame him became glaring when the government quickly came out to disown one of the impostors, Junaid Idrissa Khadi, who was until four months ago a special adviser to Governor Kashim Shettima, but rather said Khadi remained his (Sherrif) known associate because he had earlier served his government before Shettima engaged him allegedly under pressure from him.

“This is nonsense. If I had forced him (Khadi) on them, then why will he connive with a Whiteman to implicate me, that I am a Boko Haram member? If at all I helped him to be engaged, then he won’t implicate me…and I have instructed my lawyers to file charges,” he said.

Sheriff, who lauded the federal government’s counter-insurgency effort in the interview, however, denied the insinuations that the Boko Haram started during his tenure as governor.

“This is not true. The Boko Haram issue did not start during my tenure. If you don’t know, let me educate you today. Boko Haram started in 1992 at Kalama in Yobe State, and at that time, I was not a governor. So, if anybody tells you it started during my tenure, he may be part of my traducers. But the truth is that it didn’t start during my tenure,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Borno State government, through Governor Shettima’s spokesman, Isa Gusau, has denied any government-sponsored plot to tarnish the image of the former governor, saying the government in Maiduguri was only concerned with the weighty allegations against Sheriff as an indigene of the state.

He also added that the incumbent state governor has nothing to gain from Sheriff’s predicament.

Gusau, in an interview with the BBC Hausa Service yesterday, said: “Governor Kashim Shettima has nothing to gain from the allegation against Ali Sheriff. In fact, to him, it is even shameful that a Borno State indigene, whom the governor has interacted or is connected with, is linked to what is happening. So, Governor Shettima’s connection with this saga is unnecessary.”

2 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Adminisher: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
Nigeria is a shallow country. This is a suspected Boko Haram founder, now cleared by the SSS saying Boko Haram was formed in 1992. What some people have told their children is that it was started in 2011 by 'northern elders' to remove Jonathan from power. The truth is always very far in this country because people who are eating government money have enough idiots among the poor ready to buy their stories because of tribal or religious connections

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
Who is Modu Sheriff?
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by bobharro: 3:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
We human are the architect of our own demise, here in Nigeria, poor education system, bad leadership, high rate of illiteracy, killing 4 ritual purpose, boko haram, citizen easily manipulated by incompetent politician, I believe we Nigerian are still in year 1814 why other country are in 2014, if we still in this state at this time, easily manipulated by old cargo politician then there absolutely a long road ahead 4 us all Nigerian. May God help us

8 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Descartes: 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Bokaharam started with you and will end by...

1 Like

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by thiefnubu(m): 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hmmmmmm angry

4 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by datguru: 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
Interesting
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by thefakestan: 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
The Chad connection

4 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by DickDastardly(m): 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
Noise
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by tolexy007(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
h

2 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Daguccizgreat(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
Happy sunday & Merry xmass in advance to nairalanders

3 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by IDOHOU: 3:29pm On Dec 21, 2014
Why is he coming now, after years of linking him to the group. There is Sumfin we are yet to knw.

Till den, VOTE BUHARI

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by aare07(m): 3:29pm On Dec 21, 2014
Once to everyman and nation comes the moment to decide; in the strife between truth with falsehood, for the good or the evil side.” J. R. Lowell, 1819-1891, (VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS,VBQ, p 254).
For great nations, the choice comes once or, at most, twice. For Nigeria, the choice had come several times. And, the fact that, today, the failure of a country which was more advanced than South Korea, Malaysia and Thailand, among others, in 1965, is unanimously attributed to the lack of purposeful leadership is an indictment of the leaders as well as the followers.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody had been elected into office, either at the Federal, or State, level who had not enjoyed some significant measure of support. Even when the votes were supposed to have been rigged or bought, with “Stomach Infrastructure”, fellow Nigerians had been involved in the deals. Nobody alone can impose himself on a nation of 170 million people. As Joseph de Maistre, 1751-1820, in VBQ p. 80, has warned us, “Every country has the government it deserves.”

Buhari and Jonathan
So if Nigeria, a potentially rich, but, actually poor country, has a government in which a Minister can purchase two bullet-proof cars, at inflated prices, that is what we deserve. If another Minister can spend billions of naira leasing a jet for her official use; and, then go to court to stop anyone from asking questions, because her “boss” never did, that is what we deserve too. If the BOSS himself runs a Presidential Airline with nine aircrafts, while the Presidents of France and Brazil and the Prime Ministers of Japan and Britain manage with one each, that is what we also deserve.
By contrast, we now have a challenger, who was a former Minister for Petroleum Resources (he leased no jets) and a former Head of State (no Presidential Airways then). Yet, he could state, without fear of contradiction as follows: “While others who have occupied those same positions have grown mysteriously rich, I still live on my army pension. I own no foreign bank accounts, I own no companies profiting from government contracts.”
To me the difference is clear; as clear as drinking tea or coffee with milk; or drinking mud water. Let those who had become mysteriously rich explain the source(s) of their wealth to Nigerians – including how much tax they paid on them….

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
so how does that stop gej from being re-elected angry

2 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Frankenstein: 3:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
Okay.
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
aare07:
Once to everyman and nation comes the moment to decide; in the strife between truth with falsehood, for the good or the evil side.” J. R. Lowell, 1819-1891, (VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS,VBQ, p 254).
For great nations, the choice comes once or, at most, twice. For Nigeria, the choice had come several times. And, the fact that, today, the failure of a country which was more advanced than South Korea, Malaysia and Thailand, among others, in 1965, is unanimously attributed to the lack of purposeful leadership is an indictment of the leaders as well as the followers.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody had been elected into office, either at the Federal, or State, level who had not enjoyed some significant measure of support. Even when the votes were supposed to have been rigged or bought, with “Stomach Infrastructure”, fellow Nigerians had been involved in the deals. Nobody alone can impose himself on a nation of 170 million people. As Joseph de Maistre, 1751-1820, in VBQ p. 80, has warned us, “Every country has the government it deserves.”

Buhari and Jonathan
So if Nigeria, a potentially rich, but, actually poor country, has a government in which a Minister can purchase two bullet-proof cars, at inflated prices, that is what we deserve. If another Minister can spend billions of naira leasing a jet for her official use; and, then go to court to stop anyone from asking questions, because her “boss” never did, that is what we deserve too. If the BOSS himself runs a Presidential Airline with nine aircrafts, while the Presidents of France and Brazil and the Prime Ministers of Japan and Britain manage with one each, that is what we also deserve.
By contrast, we now have a challenger, who was a former Minister for Petroleum Resources (he leased no jets) and a former Head of State (no Presidential Airways then). Yet, he could state, without fear of contradiction as follows: “While others who have occupied those same positions have grown mysteriously rich, I still live on my army pension. I own no foreign bank accounts, I own no companies profiting from government contracts.”
To me the difference is clear; as clear as drinking tea or coffee with milk; or drinking mud water. Let those who had become mysteriously rich explain the source(s) of their wealth to Nigerians – including how much tax they paid on them….
are you writing a story? angry

1 Like

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by nduchucks: 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
Mr. Modu, as soon as President Buhari takes over, the rest of what you know about Boko Haram will be revealed unless you run away to Chad before the President's inauguration.

Sir Sheriff, you show up prominently in our list of Boko Haram sponsors.

Let me remind NLers of the graphics we've been maintaining.

P.S. Okupe is being watched closely and if we have enough latent and clear evidence, he will be added.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1720485_cusersa949824desktopbk_jpeg959ea0746e70cb39021116b1935d6258

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Pajames4all: 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
Pls
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by lacasa: 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
tolexy007:
I belive diz bh is global problem, bt some hausas invited dem to diz country......

Hw many hausas r indigenous to borno?

Illiterate kawai, mtshceeeu!

2 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Pajames4all: 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
OK
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by arekhandiae(m): 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
Story for the dogs! Shekau must here this! mtschewwwwwwwwwwww!
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Daguccizgreat(m): 3:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
tweetobyte:
Who is Modu Sheriff?
That wine tapper from ur Village dat has 4•30 eye
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Frankenstein: 3:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
I dont like this Sherrif but this part clearly implicates the Borno state governor.
The former governor alleged that the current Borno State government’s connection with plot to defame him became glaring when the government quickly came out to disown one of the impostors, Junaid Idrissa Khadi, who was until four months ago a special adviser to Governor Kashim Shettima, but rather said Khadi remained his (Sherrif) known associate because he had earlier served his government before Shettima engaged him allegedly under pressure from him.

“This is nonsense. If I had forced him (Khadi) on them, then why will he connive with a Whiteman to implicate me, that I am a Boko Haram member? If at all I helped him to be engaged, then he won’t implicate me… and I have instructed my lawyers to file charges,” he said.

2 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Topestbilly(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
Praktikals:
Source
leadership.ng/news/396663/know-boko-haram-modu-sheriff

Lies everywhere, aba aboki.
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by lilprinze: 3:37pm On Dec 21, 2014
The truth can't be hidden forever.
No matter how they try and hid the truth it would still come out in 3d.
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by kocvalour(m): 3:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
the truth shall set u free
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Nonsense!! He didn't even say how Chad can help solve boko haram and he's talking about how he has been vindicated as a boko haram sponsor by DSS

1 Like

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Sylvarresta(m): 3:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
Don't worry, Buhari will flush all of u out including the Hat master

8 Likes

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by omenka(m): 3:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
Na so. The more this man tries to distance himself, the more I get convinced he's involved.

1 Like

Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by musicwriter(m): 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
Is that the whole truth?.
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Brightology2(m): 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
K
Re: What I Know About Boko Haram – Modu Sheriff by Sylvarresta(m): 3:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
Werey re o

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Attack On Senators Mark, Oduah And Bruce: Deji Adeyanju Got It Wrong / Saraki Remembers His Father, Four Years After His Death / Eyitayo Jegede, Dokpesi At Today's Ondo PDP Court Of Appeal Sitting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.