Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? (37637 Views)

Moderators: Pls Allow This Rebuttal To 'how Stable Was The Naira Under Buhari' / How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari Part 2? / Explosive! How $2.8bn Disappeared From Midland Bank Under Gen. Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
Collynzo9:

Learn to relax when issues beyond your brain capacity are being discussed.
lol
u get bad mouth

1 Like

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by duni04(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
The price of oil slid from 29 dpb to 27dpb during buharis regime. It was inevitable that there would be a corresponding depreciation of the Naira. All through Nigeria's history, the Naira has always depreciated whenever the price of oil has fallen. That has been the case from Gowon's regime to Shagari, Obasanjo and now Jonathan. It was only Babangida that deliberately pursued a policy of depreciating the naira, and that was to make non oil exports profitable, though the benefit was lost to rampant inflation.
The foreign exchange rate is not an indicator of economic growth. In the case of Nigeria, where 70% of our dollars is from oil, our naira can only appreciate when the price of oil rises. A strong naira is even bad news for non oil exports which we badly need to increase.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
0rlando0woh:
@Datolee, on Buhari's campaign jingles running on TV, they are saying cleared our national debt, I know that is far from the truth.
Why must they sell Buhari using lies?
Please open another thread for that.
I am still looking for the online version of those jingles to present.
How can they tell such bold faced lies?

The issue has been discussed before.. even Buhari himself said in an interview that he did not know how much Nigeria was owing, he set up a committee but they never submitted a report to him until he left office... the question you should ask them, if Buhari does not know how much Nigeria was owing, how come did he pay all the debt?

For reference:
By the time the military came back and I happened to be the head of state, if anybody told you that he knew how much Nigeria was owing, it was a lie. So we had two committees, one international and the other local, to find out the debt Nigeria had accumulated over those years and how. This report has never seen the daylight because up to the time we were removed, it was not brought to us. But when it was eventually brought, by which time I was safely under lock and key, nobody could do anything about it.

http://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-interview-im-opposed-muslim-muslim-ticket-says-buhari/2

10 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Firefire(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
theshadyexpress:

Mathematics is ur problem

I'm sure u even have problem counting ur teeths,u think I'm lying?try it first

Blockhead
GEJ till apc rodents pass mathematics

I laugh in Japanese Yen grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by CyberWolf: 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
Following...Govt. Should stop supporting Naira with our external reserve..allow Naira to attain it's real value...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by dunkem21(m): 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Kindly tell us the unemployment rate during GMB government.. sacking of over 250,000 workers, sacking of over 30,000 soldiers, freezing wages and people have to leave the country for greener pasture? tell me, what was GMB record on employment?

Haba!

You wan kill person political career?

Sofly, abeg.

3 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
rozayx5:
datolee the terror of barcanista and APC crew is back from the library shocked
Datolee was disgraced last time by Barcanista.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by samx4real(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
I have said it before!

And am still saying it!!

The devil (GEJ) you know is better than the angel (GMB) you don't know!!!

6 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by erico2k2(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
nduchucks:
PDP goons lying with statistics without context since 1804.

I'm afraid, its too late for you and your oga at the top to deceive Nigerians. You should have presented a different presidential candidate. Nigeria is too complex and sophisticated for GEJ, he is simply not fit to rule us.

WE WANT CHANGE AND WE SHALL GET CHANGE BY FEBRUARY 2015.
Non of the people vying seem fit, APC lost it when they presented GMB as their sole candidate, that's why they are going to lose,they should have brought someone fresh ohh I forgot,GMB has huge starch of money to spend than everybody else

3 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Firefire(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

Another lies from the pit of hell shocked shocked shocked shocked

15 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by FastShipping: 3:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
theshadyexpress:

I'm sure u even have problem counting ur teeths ,u think I'm lying?try it first

Blockhead

Stu.pid OLODO! It is teeth. I have never seen it written as "teeths". Olodo!

Good for you Mr. Mathematician. Someone brought cooked up numbers and you expect me to believe him. Let him furnish the exchange rate under Shagari and under Buhari and let us deal with the numbers here. Some of you cannot just come here with cooked up number without links to back up your claims. 107% depreciation of naira under Buhari is a stretch.

Till you or the op can provide the real data between 1981 and 1985, I will be here...

4 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by rozayx5(m): 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
theshadyexpress:

I'm sure u even have problem counting ur teeths,u think I'm lying?try it first

Blockhead

since their blood thirsty general never visited the four walls of a university majority of his supporters are illiterates, instead of them to counter datolee they will start talking about stella Odua and bullet proof cars on this thread undecided

5 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Firefire(m): 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
erico2k2:

Non of the people vying seem fit, APC lost it when they presented GMB as their sole candidate, that's why they are going to lose,they should have brought someone fresh ohh I forgot,GMB has huge starch of money to spend than everybody else

Absolutely!

APC Failed in presenting a serial failure to represent change in the 21st century.

WHAT AN INTERNATIONAL SHAME! undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by HAH: 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Op you are misleading people deliverately

1 Like

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

Correct!

The only thing we hear from them is sharing of imported items as part of their economic plans to eradicate poverty angry

- 20 Motor cycle

- 20 Grinding Machine

- 20 Sewing Machine

- 20 Frying Pan

- 20,000 Naira to 20 people

Total amount less than One Million Naira and they have collected millions of naira as project and constituency allowance

It is a pity that we have been brainwashed to keep demanding more from the FG while the states and the Local government areas who are closer to the people are ignored. The worst of it all, they will donate the motorcycle as part of poverty eradication policy yet, the next day, they will ban the same motorcyles from operating in their states.

7 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by gunther6(m): 3:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
The op can lie.... Actually the dollar ranged between 0.724 to 0.765 and the first act of the Babangida government was to devalue it to 0.869. keep lying it will not keep your 'corrupt principal' in office.

3 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by rozayx5(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

lol we learnt a lot from datolee, barcanista conceded defeat on some and still tried to hold ground on others but still lost
cause of him we know the following
1. Buhari Never built any refinery as Head of state
2. He never paid off any debt
3. He did not reduce inflation
4. the naira depreciated 100% under his nose

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Firefire(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
FastShipping:

Stu.pid OLODO! It is teeth. I have never seen it written as "teeths". Olodo!

Good for you Mr. Mathematician. Someone brought cooked up numbers and you expect me to believe him. Let him furnish the exchange rate under Shagari and under Buhari and let us deal with the numbers here. Some of you cannot just come here with cooked up number without links to back up your claims. 107% depreciation of naira under Buhari is a stretch.

Till you or the op can provide the real data between 1981 and 1985, I will be here...

My friend,

do you have problem with your browser

Google is your friend to counter what ever you feel is not accurate.

Don't be lazy buddy!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:
Sometimes I feel for the “poor” Nigeria voters who are constantly fed with half-truth and in some instances, outright lies. We are at it again, being told how perfect, stable Naira was under Buhari. To even quote GMB, . http://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-interview-im-opposed-muslim-muslim-ticket-says-buhari/2

Two things are involved here:

1. At no point during the administration of IBB was naira N80 to a dollar, the highest it was at parallel market was N21.90

2. When Buhari took over in 1983, the Naira was exchanging for N 0.724 to a dollar, by the time he left office, the Naira was exchanging at between N1.5 to 1.7 in the parallel market. We will make use of the N1.5 exchange rate.
From 1983 to 1985, the Naira moved from 0.724 to 1.5 representing a 107% depreciation of the Naira!

The question therefore, with 107% depreciation of naira from 1983 to 1985, how stable was the naira under Buhari?

Chaiiiiiiii shocked

Another Buhari lie bursted

Chineke God aaaaaa

Me self fall mugu grin

9 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by obayaya(m): 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
FastShipping:

Don't just come here and give us manufactured numbers. Show us prove showing the naira depreciated by 107% between 1983 and 1985. You cannot just manufacture number out of thin air. What was the exchange rate under Shagari administration? Don't just come here with half baked information and want people to believe your garbage economic data.

I am waiting for the data....

Lemme help you...

Check out this link...

www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/currency

Adjust the dates to show data from 1983 to 1985.. what you'll get will look like the graph in the pic below

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by stonefaze: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
erico2k2:

My guy some Nigerians are the true definition of ignorance they seem to think something that increased from N2 to N4 is better than something that increased from N60 to N100 they lack the capacity to recognize that 2 to 4 means %100 increase and 60 to 100 means %40 increase..Plz Vibrant youth of the day, be wise,do not encourage selfish elders

Bros......u have said it all.ignorance is truly a disease. The difference is so glaring

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Algebra12: 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
nduchucks:
PDP goons lying with statistics without context since 1804.

I'm afraid, its too late for you and your oga at the top to deceive Nigerians. You should have presented a different presidential candidate. Nigeria is too complex and sophisticated for GEJ, he is simply not fit to rule us.

WE WANT CHANGE AND WE SHALL GET CHANGE BY FEBRUARY 2015.

Too complex and sophisticated because he is not from the north or west. If he wes. would you be spewing this thrash?
You guys cant deceive us any longer.
Did question is; was the naira stable under GMB as you guys want us to believe?
Answer it or pack well.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Firefire(m): 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

It is a pity that we have been brainwashed to keep demanding more from the FG while the states and the Local government areas who are closer to the people are ignored. The worst of it all, they will donate the motorcycle as part of poverty eradication policy yet, the next day, they will ban the same motorcyles from operating in their states.

ACN turned APC are expert is such matters.

They increased LASU school fees from 25k to 300k after election

now LASU fee is reduced back from 300k to 25k because election is coming.

What an unstable style of governance. SMH undecided

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by nijanigga: 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee:

Kindly tell us the unemployment rate during GMB government.. sacking of over 250,000 workers, sacking of over 30,000 soldiers, freezing wages and people have to leave the country for greener pasture? tell me, what was GMB record on employment?
i asked the questions you can answer them and how much is your pay as an e-rat?

2 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by nigerianvenom(m): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
datolee...and its datoleeeeeeeeeeee

1 Like

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Yusluv77(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
Dear Nigerians,Monday ,22nd of December has been declaredSolidarity campaign day for General Mohamodu Buhari / Pastor(Prof) Osinbajo. We humbly ask you to put up their pictures on your BB, Twitter handles,Facebook,whatapp, and all social medias ! We intend to have 50 million of their pictures up. It is possible!!!! PLS BROADCAST Today we have decided to change the fortune of our dear country and purposely create hope for our generations unborn. A number of us may not know about the days we use to export cocoa, the days of groundnut pyramid, the rubber in Old Bendel state, the days farmers/traders leave their goods in public and buyers take what they need and leave the money in the trays , the days $2 exchanged for N1 , the days young graduates were given Beetle, Citroen or Datsun 120Y cars which comes with an automatic job ! This ''animals in human skin'' according to Fela Anikulapo have basterdized our socio-economic lives.This campaign therefore is to re-awaken us that our dear Nigeria has a lot more resources than the collection of the G7 countries of this world (SAD.. isn't it? )BUT some of our leaders both past and present have squandered and still squandering our collective wealth.Now divinity has created another opportunity to make a change and we concerned patrots have decided to throw our weight and queue behind a man that had been president and has only one house, former PTF chairman without a petrol station, a disciplined Officer that brought sanity to our everyday lives (WAI), a Muslim that freely dines with Christains, a reserved gentleman that loves Nigeria. We are casting our votes for General Mohamodu Buhari and his running mate Prof (Pastor) Osinbajo. Please make Monday 22nd December a date.Thank you God bless Nigerians.
Long Live Nigeria!

7 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
nijanigga:

i asked the questions you can answer them and how much is your pay as an e-rat?

You have been noticed, now, jog on

6 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by nduchucks: 4:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
erico2k2:

You forget that leadership is most important. Experts in Economics are a dime a dozen. GEJ has access to these experts but allowed theft to reign with impunity.

As to the question posed by the OP, I remind lazy youths of the following:

The price of crude oil, was $86.62 in September 1982, just before President Buhari took over, and dropped to $27.61 by the end of 1985!!
Given the Economic conditions Buhari met, it’s a miracle that the naira depreciated only 106% I don’t have time to educate you people, but I’d suggest that you read up.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
Descartes:

Well said.

Am always at the sideline whenever an economic issues are being discussed cos am not an economist or have a degree in macro economics.

I learn from the Macro economics gurus like datolee, barcanista, airtwireless, etc

Wisdom is a function of Humility and indeed the Principle thing cool

Barcanista will confuse you with Buharanomics

DAT guy lacks understanding of basic economics devoid of politics

7 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Kenai: 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
Collynzo9:

Learn to relax when issues beyond your brain capacity are being discussed.

POW!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by Descartes: 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

Barcanista will confuse you with Buharanomics

DAT guy lacks understanding of basic economics devoid of politics

Atimes I agree with some of his points wink
Re: How Stable Was The Naira Under Gen. Buhari? by AreaFada2: 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
FastShipping:
At least it wasn't $1 to 196 Naira under Buhari's watch.

But also consider income then.

Would you believe somebody I know began a job then earning N50 (Fifty naira) per month?

Imagine the purchasing power of her salary changed from N50 to about N23 after 20 months of Buhari's regime.

Many who didn't witness it all are just falling for sentiments and propaganda.

In a sane country, a person who committed treason should have been tried and executed by the next democratic govt.

Because coup was declared treason by OBJ government that Buhari served as oil minister after Murtala was killed.

But we're in Nigeria, so anything goes.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo / Osinbajo To Hope Uzodinma: You Didn’t Become Governor Because Of Smartness / Gunshots At Imo House Of Assembly, 6 Lawmakers Suspended, Chief Whip Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.