Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,838 members, 7,806,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. (29013 Views)

Ugu Farmers: Pls Help / Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / Attn: Poultry Farmers. Pls What Chemicals Can Be Used To Control Odour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 7:15am On Dec 24, 2014
SYSTEMIC herbicide: is the type of herbicide that work systematically. When apply the chemicals on weeds, the chemical will translocate from the leaves to the stems down to the root system. In fact if ur are use to this chemicals the way it works u will think you have just waste ur money in buying what is not working, it effect is usually take days before u see it working on the weeds. Examples of these chemicals are glyphosate,fitcosate,sarosate, tackle,2-4D ete.. The easy way to identify this herbicide is, the content is just like groundnut oil, when u mixed it with water u hardly know if some is in... Most of these herbicide are selective and non selective, example of selective is 2-4D, used in maize farm. It kill broad leave. Please don't use any of this in ur vegetable farm.... Free risky..............
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2014
PRE EMERGENCY: this are the type of herbicide used on our prepared lands/field to prevent weed from emerging on our farms, as the chemicals will make weeds seed not viable, the weed seeds will be prevented from germinating. Please we have to be sure of the type of pre emergence we use on our farm. One common one used by maize farmers is Athraxine. NOTE this chemicals is not suitable for vegetables, if used on vegetalbe farm, even when they germinate, it will die off in due time... The only one I know used in vegetable farm is (PENDILIN), it is very scars in the market and expensive... The easy way to identify it is the colour is yellow.. It work well if it is usewhen the soil is wet. Then allow it to settle down for some days say 4-5 days b4 planting ur seed.

POST EMERGENCE: are herbicide used after the weed have emerge. It could be contact,systemic, seletive and noon selective.

More advice is needed by other experience farmers on how to handle chemicals. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 7:45am On Dec 24, 2014
And MERRY XMASS TO ALL FARMERS IN THE HOUSE....
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 24, 2014
merry xmas to all practical farmers.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 8:47pm On Dec 24, 2014
Please house let me chip in this less I forget, please do not. Set your watermelon farm beside an existing melon farm or where melon was just harvested. It very risky, as ur watermelon will taste bitter instead of sweet. Merry Xmass........
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by christian11(m): 12:45am On Dec 25, 2014
Soloxam:
Thanks so much CEO for sharing this with us, I understand well that over population in any agric setting reduce your yield, same gose to fish farming, even crop productions. I read an article here on NL when @Mercylious was advising an intending farmer to use 2m by 2.5m spacing when planting plantian, she said anything less that this will amount to loss.@Eclipse hope this info will be useful for you. Others please roll in ur experience... Be a shock absorber for intending farmers.
Your welcome boss.
Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to all the farmers in the house...

1 Like

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 6:08am On Dec 25, 2014
MERRRY MERRy CHRISMAS TO ALL REAL FARMER.. MERRRY MERRy CHRISMAS TO ALL REAL FARMER..
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by ichidodo: 6:24am On Dec 25, 2014
typing..
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 11:05am On Dec 26, 2014
ichidodo:
typing..
Nice keep typing.......
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 11:12am On Dec 26, 2014
COMPLEMENT OF THE SEASON TO EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE.

We will resume our class soon. Keep enjoying the season. God Bless us all.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Juliana7: 12:57am On Dec 27, 2014
Wow! This thread is awesome. @ op thanks for bring up dis thread
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 9:05am On Dec 27, 2014
Juliana7:
Wow! This thread is awesome. @ op thanks for bring up dis thread
Thanks for following.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 9:16am On Dec 27, 2014
I have talked on factors that affect germination in vegetable production, these factor are more concern with direct planting seed, the Next to discuss are that of crop which need to under go NUSERY process.

NURSARY MANAGEMENT will discuss as most farmer begins their lost from the nursery.

Stay tune,*** make I reach farm***
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by jasper7(m): 9:37am On Dec 27, 2014
stagger:
OP,

I read your posts and one fact just jumps out straight at me: YOU DID NOT CONSULT WITH THE RELEVANT AGENCIES AND EXPERIENCED FARMERS BEFORE YOU DIVED IN.

You met an experienced farmer after the damage had been done. Information is key. Anyone who wants to plant anything should visit the relevant agencies (IITA, state ADPs, etc) where you will get quality advice, information and seedlings.
are you a farmer? if yes, how much good did all thise agencies you mentioned do for you. share your experience

1 Like

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by jasper7(m): 9:40am On Dec 27, 2014
just saw this thread now. will be uploading very soon. it's a great thread. I've learnt alot
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by christian11(m): 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2014
jasper7:
just saw this thread now. will be uploading very soon. it's a great thread. I've learnt alot
I'll be looking forward to hear your story.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2014
jasper7:
Mr Jasper7, how body now? Welcome on board, pls let learn from you, thanks.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 10:23pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nursery Management: Nursery is simply a place where our seeds are been planted before taken to a permanent field, here maximum and intensive cares are given to the young plants.

Nursery practice is important as most of the seeds can not be planted directly to the field because most of these seeds can not withstand hardship condition, also some are not easily planted directly because of their sizes.

Therefore, Nursery practice/management is important and should be done with high level of care, as many farm loss 50% of their profit at this crucial stage.

MY BIRTHDAY LOADING..........THANK YOU LORD FOR YOUR KINDNESS.........

1 Like

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by stagger: 11:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
jasper7:

are you a farmer? if yes, how much good did all thise agencies you mentioned do for you. share your experience

I have planted cassava, sugarcane, vegetables like waterleaf, scent leaf used in peppersoup, pears (both avocado and native pear), plantain, beans and yams, etc. My plantain trees are still standing today. The palm trees became way too tall and had to be cut down to make way for new ones, having been planted in 1988. The plantain farm was started in 1987. In my mother's village I have up to 1 hectare which I bought for agricultural use, since my dad's people are too fetish and have tried to have me killed severally.

I have planted coconuts and orange trees there. These were started 10 years ago.

I do not know how old you were as at 1980 when I first handled a pickaxe and hoe to farm on one plot of land allocated to me by my school for all students of agricultural science. That was the way we learnt agric science in those days: practically, and not by theory. The day of marking, your parents would be invited to come and see where their school fees money was going. You dared not disgrace your parents in front of other parents because everyone, the whole school, would be at the field then. I have also farmed pineapples strictly for domestic use, with a species which were given to me by an Eritrean Professor of Agriculture who was on exile as at then because Mengistu Haile Mariam's government had a bounty on his head. I am sure history students will know how this man slaughtered Eritreans in their thousands before the UN gave them their own country. I was too young then so I cannot remember the name of this man or the species of pineapples.

I answer you this way because I see the sarcasm in your question, and I will not dwell much on it because trying to convince you the cucumber farmer about it is a waste of time. So I will go to the main point on this thread: mistakes we have all made.

Yes, there was a mistake I made when I did the plantains. I had never heard of black sigatoka virus, which entered Nigeria in 1986. It nearly devastated the plantation, but somehow, we recovered. Had to burn the entire plants and get new ones. I also have to mention that I nearly lost the first fruits to villagers by allowing them to ripen on trees. They would just come at night and cut them down. So I had to make myself a clean cutlass which I would use to mount vigils in the place some evenings and nights, but stopped when I noticed snakes around the place. Eventually, I started to cut them when mature, without allowing them to ripen on the tree.

Now to answer your sarcastic question: IITA gave me a lot of help in my cassava research. I even have a book on the commodity markets for cassava products in Nigeria. That publication is not available anywhere on the open market. Nasarawa state ADP gave me a video documentary on application of herbicides for weed control. I have got quotes for cassava processing machines from PRODA in Enugu.

The way you approach these organizations will determine how they give you what you need. I will not say more.

7 Likes

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by jasper7(m): 12:46am On Dec 28, 2014
stagger:

I have planted cassava, sugarcane, vegetables like waterleaf, scent leaf used in peppersoup, pears (both avocado and native pear), plantain, beans and yams, etc. My plantain trees are still standing today. The palm trees became way too tall and had to be cut down to make way for new ones, having been planted in 1988. The plantain farm was started in 1987. In my mother's village I have up to 1 hectare which I bought for agricultural use, since my dad's people are too fetish and have tried to have me killed severally.

I have planted coconuts and orange trees there. These were started 10 years ago.

I do not know how old you were as at 1980 when I first handled a pickaxe and hoe to farm on one plot of land allocated to me by my school for all students of agricultural science. That was the way we learnt agric science in those days: practically, and not by theory. The day of marking, your parents would be invited to come and see where their school fees money was going. You dared not disgrace your parents in front of other parents because everyone, the whole school, would be at the field then. I have also farmed pineapples strictly for domestic use, with a species which were given to me by an Eritrean Professor of Agriculture who was on exile as at then because Mengistu Haile Mariam's government had a bounty on his head. I am sure history students will know how this man slaughtered Eritreans in their thousands before the UN gave them their own country. I was too young then so I cannot remember the name of this man or the species of pineapples.

I answer you this way because I see the sarcasm in your question, and I will not dwell much on it because trying to convince you the cucumber farmer about it is a waste of time. So I will go to the main point on this thread: mistakes we have all made.

Yes, there was a mistake I made when I did the plantains. I had never heard of black sigatoka virus, which entered Nigeria in 1986. It nearly devastated the plantation, but somehow, we recovered. Had to burn the entire plants and get new ones. I also have to mention that I nearly lost the first fruits to villagers by allowing them to ripen on trees. They would just come at night and cut them down. So I had to make myself a clean cutlass which I would use to mount vigils in the place some evenings and nights, but stopped when I noticed snakes around the place. Eventually, I started to cut them when mature, without allowing them to ripen on the tree.

Now to answer your sarcastic question: IITA gave me a lot of help in my cassava research. I even have a book on the commodity markets for cassava products in Nigeria. That publication is not available anywhere on the open market. Nasarawa state ADP gave me a video documentary on application of herbicides for weed control. I have got quotes for cassava processing machines from PRODA in Enugu.

The way you approach these organizations will determine how they give you what you need. I will not say more.

you see, contrary to your belief. I genuinely asked that question with no sarcasm intended, sir

The reason I asked was because I have an agency here in my state (agronova) and they having wooing me to join their resource team and I have rejected countless times. because it's never all about the money to me. I like to make sure I am impacting lives and I have this general belief that these agencies don't do that. so... I have been interested in finding a genuine farmer who has grossly benefited form this agencies, especially the govt ones.

so to my question if you are a farmer, a yes would have sufficed. but I must confess, you have a good track record. I can only dream of planting so much variety. am sorry, especially with what I have gotten from nairaland, I am keen to find out if the person I converse with is truly a farmer, before I take data seriously. you'll understand more when I share my experience here. please o. you need to say more on your work with these agencies. and from your experience, do you think I'll have opportunity to make impact lives, if I work with them

3 Likes

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 6:48am On Dec 28, 2014
THANK YOU LORD FOR KEEPING ME TILL DATE, THANK YOU LORD MAY YOUR NAME BE GLORIFY............

IT MY BIRTHDAY TODAY.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 8:58am On Dec 28, 2014
Thank you Lord

6 Likes

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by jasper7(m): 9:25am On Dec 28, 2014
Soloxam:
THANK YOU LORD FOR KEEPING ME TILL DATE, THANK YOU LORD MAY YOUR NAME BE GLORIFY............

IT MY BIRTHDAY TODAY.
Happy Birthday bros. Hmmm. December baby. I like your cake ooo. grin Bigger you in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 9:28am On Dec 28, 2014
jasper7:

Happy Birthday bros. Hmmm. December baby. I like your cake ooo. grin Bigger you in 2015.
Amen thank you boss, I will send ur portion of the cake........lol......

1 Like

Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 28, 2014
Soloxam:

IT MY BIRTHDAY TODAY.

Happy bday. Thats a big cake you have there.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2014
mercylicious:

Happy bday. Thats a big cake you have there.
Thanks maa ....
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by christian11(m): 2:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
Soloxam:
Thank you Lord
Happy birthday bossssss....... I wish u all the very best.... Success, happiness, joy, peace, long life, prosperity, and everything good. Hv fun, carry my cake come o...
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 5:53pm On Dec 28, 2014
christian11:

Happy birthday bossssss....... I wish u all the very best.... Success, happiness, joy, peace, long life, prosperity, and everything good. Hv fun, carry my cake come o...
Thanks #CEO, I will send it oooooo
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by securi: 10:12am On Dec 29, 2014
Happy Birthday! Wish you many more fruitful years in Jesus name, amen

Soloxam:

IT MY BIRTHDAY TODAY.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by Soloxam(m): 11:48am On Dec 29, 2014
securi:
Happy Birthday! Wish you many more fruitful years in Jesus name, amen

Thank you sir.
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by jasper7(m): 2:50pm On Dec 29, 2014
@stagger. plsbsir am still waiting for ur reply/advice. please
Re: Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. by nigerfine: 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
Happy birthday to you... Soloxam. May goodness and mercy follow you all the days of your life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Snail Greenhouse Construction / Have You Heard Of Noiler Chickens? / Pictures Of Obasanjo Encouraging Young Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.