Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,450 members, 7,801,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? (10273 Views)

2015: APC Is Blinded By Desperation For Power – PDP / Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation / Yarima: My Wife Is Not 13, He Strives Hard To Be Guided By The Holy Qur'an (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Yeske2(m): 1:45am On Dec 22, 2014
Normality:

Fool, the section from Umuahia to PH is 80% completed, it will get to that area, whether because of election or not.

I still maintain u don't stay in SE, a truth nwafo would never bad mouth his people like you - a sellout,
twaah (spits).....nzuzu egbuola unu
Stories, tell me it's 100% and I'd believe that and not 80%, we need pix. Meanwhile, GEJ is not Igbo so who are my people I'm bad mouthing biko nu. I don't believe in GEJ then I'm maybe Yoruba, Fulani, a sellout, do i care. I will tell your pay master that you satanoids ain't doing enough, you all are supposed to be sacked. Nekwa Onye ne kwu okwu
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by rman: 2:00am On Dec 22, 2014
The author of the article is RIGHT!

The comments on this thread alone supports his claim 100%.

5 Likes

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by jaysniggs: 2:04am On Dec 22, 2014
mazzi:
and how many yearz ave these ur hausa men ruled the country out of 53yearz of our existence as an independent nation that the want to bring down this country jst because the are out of power.

Should that really bother you?
Shouldn't you hold the nations development at hand?
I'm sorry but thinking like this won't help us.
We are way too damaged for us to start choosing leaders based on etchnicity.
Worldwide we're known to be corrupt and people are dying by the scores.
Have you been to the British High Commision in Ikeja?
You need to go there and see the number of Nigerians that apply for the UK visas, tens of thousands apply daily.
And when we get there their gov choke us whether guilty/innocent into jails. And yet still the same government that isn't allowing us progress internally due to looting still have no plans for this nation's seeds in the international level.
Its a shame you can find Nigerians in almost every jail in europe just because they are looking for a way to feed and take care of a family which the nation is duping of basic human needs.
Yet some people still want the same administration to rule for another 4 years, after throwing Nigeria into a chaotic pool of problems.
I really wonder if you have any conscience or your selfish gain is more than the lives of millions of innocent Nigerians. I really hope you will change your perspective.
Think deep
Vote wisely
God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Nobody: 3:26am On Dec 22, 2014
rman:
The author of the article is RIGHT!

The comments on this thread alone supports his claim 100%.

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Babacele: 3:47am On Dec 22, 2014
PhenomenonVFX:
Any intelligent person reading the article will know that the author is not saying all Igbo should support Buhari. The central theme of his write-up is the bitterness with which some brain-dead Igbos oppose fellow Igbos who support Buhari. They use different tactics from intimidation to ostracization to cower people with differing political views. These kind of senseless Igbos are the ones I called Igbo barbarians. Some of the mugus even started burning APC flags recently. But the will be the first to kowtow at Aso Rock should APC win next years election. Thoughtless baboons.
Dont support APC. But stop threatening and bitterly insulting Igbos who do.
Hmmmmm!
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Babacele: 4:14am On Dec 22, 2014
It is good to support any candidate of our choice while at the same time keeping sane boundaries within the Nigerian reality. The enemies of the Igbo, pretending to be more Igbo than you and I, gave the name Azikiwe and Ebele to GEJ to make him look one of 'us'. The costly political folly we have forced other Nigerians to accept is that GEJ is an Igbo. And if he rules till 2019, does it not means ibos have had their turn? Have we really? It will be damn too difficult ,if not impossible,to convince Nigerians whom we have forced to accept GEJ's igboness despite his obvious south south origins!
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by tonychristopher: 4:24am On Dec 22, 2014
If you don't rope Igbo in your madness then you won't be happy

Igbo this
Igbo that

Why are they special

1 Like

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by chamboy(m): 4:47am On Dec 22, 2014
mazzi:
Fhoolish op,ave u asked ursef why gambaris are after this power like their lives depends on it?tell me which tribe in nigeria the igbos ave not voted for?we voted for obasanjo(a yeruba man),we vote for yaradua(a northerner) so why won't we support an ijaw man now he needs our support?maybe, we shouldn't after all he is a minority and his people are only good in providing economic needs of nigeria but not good enough for leardership of the country the ave sustained for over 53yearz.op,search ur soul and repent. EFULEFU!!!
deluded fools u n Ur likes
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 22, 2014
phantom:
as usual my brothers are emotionally firing from all cylinders while ,missing the obvious point of the article
whats this one saying since, you talk like a kid of yesterday.

Only a fool will want to fall twice at the same spot. Igbos have every justification for their actions, please stop acting like an OSU.

1 Like

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by phantom(m): 6:55am On Dec 22, 2014
Calculia:
Let us not forget the conversion of Enugu into an aviation hub. They nearly killed Stella Oduah for dat. Enugu International Airport nearing completion. We have got more from GEJ than all the previous president put together.
the one that serves as a seaport when it rains? say something else please.
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by MayorofLagos(m): 6:57am On Dec 22, 2014
phantom:

the one that serves as a seaport when it rains? say something else please.

this guy want kill me with laughter... grin grin grin
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by MayorofLagos(m): 7:13am On Dec 22, 2014
Babacele:
It is good to support any candidate of our choice while at the same time keeping sane boundaries within the Nigerian reality. The enemies of the Igbo, pretending to be more Igbo than you and I, gave the name Azikiwe and Ebele to GEJ to make him look one of 'us'. The costly political folly we have forced other Nigerians to accept is that GEJ is an Igbo. And if he rules till 2019, does it not means ibos have had their turn? Have we really? It will be damn too difficult ,if not impossible,to convince Nigerians whom we have forced to accept GEJ's igboness despite his obvious south south origins!

Even Jonathan got drunk on ogogoro one night and in front of national media declared that only the Igbos have been the pillars of his administration.

Add his lack of tact and discretion on that statement to the repeated call by Ohaneze for all Igbos anywhere in Nigeria to vote Jonathan.

I hope not, but if it ends in a baboon and dog fight in 2015 Igbo will end up a scapegoat in the battle. There probably is....but Ive never met an Ijawman that built mansion and invested his life in Hausaland the way Ibos are everywhere in North and with their boast of mansions and economic control.

Ndigbo has two choices
1. Vote Jonathan and damn the consequencies
2 Self preservation and let Jonathan return home a one-term President.
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 22, 2014
MayorofLagos:

Even Jonathan got drunk on ogogoro one night and in front of national media declared that only the Igbos have been the pillars of his administration.

Add his lack of tact and discretion on that statement to the repeated call by Ohaneze for all Igbos anywhere in Nigeria to vote Jonathan.

I hope not, but if it ends in a baboon and dog fight in 2015 Igbo will end up a scapegoat in the battle. There probably is....but Ive never met an Ijawman that built mansion and invested his life in Hausaland the way Ibos are everywhere in North and with their boast of mansions and economic control.

Ndigbo has two choices
guy if it's threats like dz u want to use to mk we igbo's vote for anybody... then do ur worse... we wud vote for our choice... u re just talking as if Yorubas stay only in d southwest... do ur worse.
Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by tomakint: 1:12pm On Dec 22, 2014
berem:
hahahahaha!!! Mr. Globe,please tell those already falling in love with you that you are a male disguising as a female. You cannot take my position as the most popular female Igbo poster on nairalander.
Mbanu!!
Hmmmnnn......this one again....

1 Like

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by HappyJoe: 1:31pm On Dec 22, 2014
MayorofLagos:

Ndigbo has two choices

What nonsense is this?

What will happen if Ndigbo don't vote for APC? They will impose "economic blockade" on us, like they did during the Civil War? Will they starve us like Awolowo did?

I don't have time for this nonsense - or threats.

How come nobody is threatening Ijaws?

They know Ijaws can cripple this economy, so they tread carefully, but these stupid Lagos people spend all their time threatening Igbos.

My advise to all these people threatening Igbos:

Do you worst, e no go pass Civil War - and we survived the Civil War and are thriving today.

1 Like

Re: The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? by EMANY01(m): 2:10pm On Dec 22, 2014
phantom:
the following post is from a friend on facebook and is directed at our kinsmen,the igbos! enjoy!!!
N/B: i highlighted some important points

......the strong emotion with which they respond to their fellow south-easterners who try to be different betrays the ultimate fact that they are really neo-phytes when it comes to reading the political terrain.

These people are so locked in 1966, they forget they are falling into the same mistake of the Northern avengers of 1966, who thought they were doing justice to alleged Igbo domination, but ended up ruining Nigeria and the North even more.......

You argue that he is one of us, that he is Igbo. I have never seen any argument betraying more confusion than this. GEJ is not Igbo. He is not even IJAW. He is an OGBIA man, an ethnic group of about 250,000. He has no Igbo name given to him from birth. AZIKIWE is a PET NAME given to him by his mother, because he smiled like the then famous Nnamdi Azikiwe............................................................Meanwhile, it may interest you to know GEJ never took the AZIKIWE name seriously even while he was Governor of Bayelsa and Acting President, but I guess because of people like you, his sudden adoption of the name yielded dividends, and is about to yield further dividends because you cannot see beyond your nose............

Another argument, is that we the igbos need to be at peace with our neighbours. I say, it is fine to be at peace, but not to the point of black-mail. Peace without Justice is peace of the grave-yard. [b]Yes, we have a right to support our neighbours, but some of us can also remember that those our neighbours who we desperately want to be at peace with, actually had a voting pattern in the past which was automatically against any candidate who came from the South East. Go and check your records of voting patterns from 1979 elections to 2011. [size=20pt]I wont go into the various avenues at which we were sabotaged during the unfortunate civil war. And the abandoned properties nko? Have they given us back? Even the Late Ken Saro-Wiwa, an Ogoni man (our neighbours) "occupied" a house "abandoned" by an Igbo-man when the civil war started. So, how exactly do you define living in genuine peace? [/size]Only when it benefits one person? Yes, by-gones should be by-gones, but my common sense still remains. If you want to dig up the role of the Hausas in that event, then let us complete the whole process, then the Efiks and Ibibios will also remind us (the Igbos) of the atrocities we committed against them as well.[/b]
It would have been different if it was a Murtala Mohammed contesting (the man who was responsible for the execution of almost 2,000 unarmed civillians in Asaba during the civil war), or if Buhari had any specific war crime to his name. But that is not the case. In politics, the duration of friendship or enmity is not permanent. [size=20pt]What is permanent is INTEREST.[/size]

My arch-enemy of yesterday can become my friend today if I rightly identify my interest. Its for this same reason:

1. The Germans and the Jews (Isrealis) are friends and vital business partners today, despite the fact that the Germans gassed 6 million jews to death, with the intention of wiping them off the planet.

2. The Americans fought a bitter war of independence with the imperial British. Today, their alliance is one of the closest and most reliable on the planet.

3. England and France fought a war that lasted 100 years (yes 100). Yet today, one of the most technologically advanced tunnels connects both countries.

I can go on and on and on about how enmities of yesterday have become formidable alliances today based on common sense and identification of objective, legitimate interest. So don't go about calling an Igbo man using his common sense an EFULEFU. You are the one who is lost in the past.

If I am not mistaken,the Ibo's voted for shagari in the late seventies,less than a decade after the civil war I don't think they were stuck in 1966 @ the time.They also voted MKO in the June 12 elections as well as Obassonjo a prominent figure on the opposite side of the civil war in 1999 not to mention Yar'adua brother of Yar'adua the senior who played a prominent role against biafra during the civil war.The do all that and then to balance things they vote an ijaw man or ogbia man or whichever section of the south-south the op would have us believe that he comes from and the OP is quick to remind the Ibos' that they sabotaged them during the civil war (how is that for being stuck un 1966?).
The Ibo man's basic interests on the streets wherever he is in this country is to be allowed to take advantage of the opportunities if any that being a Nigerian provides him without molestation be it Kano,Port-Harcourt, Jalingo,Sokoto,Jos ,Nembe,Lagos,Okiti-Pupa wherever.But we all know that there is only one region that has consistently denied the Ibos and other southerners even a pretension of those rights.So why would the Ibos reward them with their votes?
The Ibo elites major interest in Nigeria is to be allowed to have a say in the leadership(read government) of their country in as much as the policies formulated by that government affects them and truth be told, for the first time in a long time in the history of this country beyond the lip service of previous governments,military and civilian, this happens to be the case.Posters before me have given numerous examples here on this thread so I need not bother to repeat their assertions.

As for the OP for every example you give ,I have two that indicate just the opposite:

I, Russia lost about eight to fifteen million people (8,000,000 - 15,000,000) depending on whose tally you read to the Germans in world war two. Not forgetting the losses they (russia ) suffered to Napoleons invasion and the Crimean war .That history and the desire to never experience such again led it to seek to dominate its hemisphere and beyond (read Europe) leading to the biggest arms race in history. The Russians never fail to remind Europe of that fact and that history plays into their decision cycle in all of their interactions with Europe in spite of the cooperative relationship that they have with Europe.

II, China lost far more than the numbers quoted by the Russians at the hands of the Japanese during and following the Japanese invasion of China during the second world war. That history more than anything else , is responsible for the difficult relationship between Japan and China with the current tensions between both countries raising fears of the possibility of war breaking out in the south china sea. The two countries have strong economic cooperation but that history between them affects the Chinese decision making cycle

Iii,The Israelis ,whom the OP used in his example, spent the first three decades of their corporate existence as a nation pursuing one major goal even though it had nothing to do with the survival of and progress : HAUNTING TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH EVERY LAST INDIVIDUAL WHO PLAYED A PART IN THE GENOCIDE PROGRAM OF GERMANY IN WORLD WAR TWO AND BRINGING THEM BACK TO ISRAEL BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY FOR TRIAL AND PUNISHMENT; a task they carried out with amazing single mindedness .Even today if one more holocaust perpetrator not yet dead were to be located anywhere on earth the Israelis will go after that person aggressively so if you say that Israel and Germany have extremely good relations, it is because the Israelis’ have received justice so to speak for the horrible past between them and the Germans have gone above and beyond to appease the Israelis and to atone for the actions of the past.

I could go on listing examples but I believe that my point is made :The North specifically the core north have not deemed it fit to in anyway apologize for the events of 1966-1970 but rather has done everything possible to perpetuate the pain of that period and to rub salt on the wounds both physically( sectarian riots) and mentally( political exclusion) on the southeasterners and generally southerners sans the southwest for much of Nigeria’s Post Civil war history as a result, You can not and should not begrudge the southeasterners the siege mentality they currently exhibit in their political dealings with the North.

Adminisher:
Ibos are above all motivated by the urge for vengeance against[b][size=20pt]imagined hurts.[/size][/b] This mass emotion is causing the collective folly of supporting the sinking Jonathan regime against all dictates of common sense.

I feel a deep urge to insult you , I feel like calling you a ********* but I will let the better man in me prevail. I am from delta state but I consider myself practically ibo having spent a part of my life relating with them although not within the south east .You saying that Ibos are acting in response to “imagined hurts” is the most dishonest statement I dare say you have ever uttered in nairaland and I don’t care to go through you post history.
I was not around during the period of the civil war or the immediate years that followed so everything I know about the civil war is what I learnt from documented history and opinions as well as what I was told by my Elders (parents uncles renown historians and the like) so I won’t dwell on the issues of the civil war. I was born and raised in kano and for the first eighteen to twenty years of my life its been a continuously evolving series of near death experiences for me my family and millions upon millions of others in the North (read core north).
Beginning from the Mai-Tasine crisis in kano, (which I barely survived as a toddler on my mother’s back at mai ‘yanka market ) which killed some eight hundred people , the Reinhardt Bonke riots in kano which killed about one thousand five hundred people( this happened to coincide with my first common entrance examination, went to the school to write the test and returned some four hours later seeing decapitated , disemboweled ,impaled and burnt dead bodies on the way home how I made it home is another story), the pork riots in Bauchi, riots in maidugry , kaduna , katsina, [size=20pt]not forgetting the average three or so riots a year which happened all over the north during “STRONGMAN” OBJ’s tenure 1999-2007, [/i]the first of which occurred in OCTOBER 1999.[/size].
The most recent “incident” before the mutation of the players in these acts to what we now know as “BOKO HARAM”
You have to note that from the beginning of Nigeria there has been a devious predilection by the government, mostly controlled by the core north, to seriously understate casualty figures of those killed and those affected in these sectarian crises. The rule of the thumb is to add a zero( or two in the event of a very serious and widespread crisis case in point ;the pogroms of 1966 and the Reinhardt Bonke riots in 1991) to the stated numbers of the dead and injured to come to a more correct reckoning of the numbers of casualties.
[size=20pt][i]
The common thread through all of these sectarian crises ,was /is,
GENERAL TARGETS : anyone non-muslim and non core-north,
MAJOR TARGETS: anyone identified as ibo or who is unfortunate enough to look ibo.
[/size]
You may want to deny, the fact of my assertions but your denials ,no matter how much logic and eloquence you pour into it : does not resurrect the dead, does not remove the memory of those lost ,does not comfort the families of those whose loved once simply disappeared after the riots never to be heard from or heard of again, it does not regrow the limbs of those who barely escaped with their lives but lost limb In the process neither does it remove the physical (not to speak of the mental) scars of those who sustained injuries but managed to live. Your denials does not renovate the houses/homes of those who were made homeless because their homes were burnt down/destroyed and it certainly does not refund or insure those who lost their life’s work/ businesses to marauders and had to start all over again, your denials will not help those who survived all of these, but lost their lives to heart attack and anxiety as a result of any number of the situations listed above and it will not remove from the memories of southeasterners and southerners’ in general who may never have spent a day in the north but were witnesses to the tales of woe told by the survivors who scrambled down home , most with only the cloths on their back and partakers in the burials of the bodies that were found and returned home as well as burials for those who were known to be dead but their bodies were never retrieved. Chew on that before you spew more feasis on this thread.

berem:
There's nothing new about this article na! Na today?
If Buhari becomes the next president,the gullible and brainwashed people who are not Ijaws will still turn around to support Buhari. Am sorry to say this but that's just the bitter truth.

I hope you know that for all your pseudo intellectual stand in the opposite side of you people(that is if indeed you are Ibo) you dare not go to the core north and assume you are immune to the treatment that awaits you at the hands if marauders whenever any of their many and repetitive sectarian violence occurs.Mnbe ogar por ginwa ge so zoba isigi.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Electoral Act: APC, PDP Reps Set For Stormy Session Today / We Have No Mandate To Zone President, Vice Positions - PDP Zoning Committee / Boko Haram Attacks Kogi Prison•kills Guard, Sets Members Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.