Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 (1435 Views)

Buhari’s Economic Policies “opaque, Archaic” – Oby Ezekwesili / Presidency Unveils Buhari’s Economic Team / Soludo Faults Buhari's Economic Policies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 7:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
GenBuhari created a thread with the content below
GenBuhari:
Buhari has a proven track record of almost stamping out corruption during his tenure as head of state.

Bakare has been a pastor who has shown he truely cares for the nation.

Buhari reduced inflation to 5% in just 1.5 years
https://www.nairaland.com/620012/why-vote-buhari-bakare
They are still peddling this falsehood today. This is the reason I want to bring the points as they are.
You can go to the link and read everything or get the point I am going to extract here.

Where is 9ijaMan? What is his new name in this dispensation?

2 Likes

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
First lie
GenBuhari:
Buhari left the country

Naira so strong that 1N fetched 1$ shocked
Response
It was 25k to $1 before he came

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by jmaine: 8:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
Bros, they don't have much talking about the man hence incessant lies . . .

1 Like

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
I got it wrong and he was happy. (I answered based on hearsay) grin
9ijaMan:

That's not true. You need not lie to make a point.
Visit the link below to view the historical trend of Naira against the US dollar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
I tried to clarify things because my friends thought I set out to lie. Not in my person!
9ijaMan:

You got  caught pants down and the best you could do was to reference the post of someone else. That's absolutely ungentlemanly. By the way he said it was $1 to =N=1. It was actually $1 to 0.894 kobo.

In fact that increase must have been recorded when IBB came in. Buhari was ousted in August of '85. The article below buttresses my point.
http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12518:imfs-deadly-naira-devaluation-poison&catid=8:letters&Itemid=17

We know you are routing for GEJ, but you need not lie to make your point. You called for civility yer you act the exact opposite in your conduct. It's acts of indiscipline as this that has destroyed our nation and brought us to where we are today.
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
My good friend posted this again. he was still insisting it was $1=N1
GenBuhari:
He took over when 31st Dec 1983  (Which is 1984 ) and exchange rate then was N 0.77 = 1 $  with  Naira depreciating fast with great momentum.

After just 1.5years in power  it was still N 0.89 = 1 $ when he left, so there was a slight depreciation but this is negligible considering that there was depeciation momentum from when he took over that had  to be arrested.

Now lets look at how other subsequent governments performed on our exchange rates since Buhari was overthown?

Buhari left exchange rate of    N1 = 1$   (which IBB inherited.)

IBB left office                         N18 = 1$  angry

Abacha left office                   N22 = 1$

OBJ left office  angry                  N125 =  1$    angry  Hail OBJ,  Hail PDP  angry

Yara Dua left office                N171 = 1$

Thank IBB (started killing us)  and his friend OBJ (finished us off - even with record oil prices) for our current predicament  angry

Both IBB an OBJ are PDP god fathers.

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
he came for my jugular grin and I defended myself with a central bank link
9ijaMan:

Chief I thought my original reply to you would make you do a bit of extra research. I laid the basis for you to do additional findings and then make your point with facts. Below is a news paper article stating precisely the exchange rate between $1 and the Naira.
http://thewillnigeria.com/opinion/4759-THE-IBRAHIM-BADAMASI-BABANGIDA-SAGA.html

According to that article, $1 exchanged for 0.765 Naira (or 76.5 kobo) when IBB took over on the 27th of August 1985. Admittedly Buhari may have met the dollar exchanging at 72.4 kobo when he took over (but it can as well be said that he met $1 at 0.765 Naira, 'cos he came in on the last day of 1983, which is essentially 1984). It should be noted however that the naira was bound to drop at least due to the political unrest which may have originally been stirred by the military take over. But Buhari kept it constantly at 0.765 Naira (76.5 Kobo) to $1 throughout his tenure.

These evidences debunks your argument that the absence of hard currency contributed to the drop in the value of Naira. In reality the Naira practically did not drop in value compared to the US dollar when Buhari led the nation.

I'll join egift to solicit your apology to the OP, 'cos you have not only lied but slandered against the person of Buhari. At least you'll prove to be a different breed from the regular GEJ supporter!

year  rate
1973 0.66 - n.a - n.a
1974 0.55 -20.0 n.a - n.a
1980 0.55 0.0 0.90 - 63.6
1982 0.67 17.9 1.14 21.1 70.1
1984 0.76 11.8 3.25 64.9 327.6
1985 0.89 14.6 3.79 14.20 325.8
1986 2.02 55.9 4.17 9.1 106.4

1987 4.02 49.8 5.55 24.9 38.1
1988 4.54 11.5 6.05 8.30 33.3
1989 7.39 38.6 10.55 42.7 42.8
1990 8.04 9.3 9.61 -9.8 19.5
1991 9.91 18.9 13.04 26.3 31.6
1992 17.30 42.7 20.03 34.9 15.8
1993 22.05 21.5 36.23 44.7 64.3
1994 21.89 -0.7 59.79 39.4 173.1
1995 81.20 73.0 59.79 39.4 3.1
1996 81.20 0.0 83.09 -0.7 2.3
1997 82.00 1.0 85.00 2.2 3.7
1998 84.00 2.4 87.90 3.3 4.6
1999 93.95 10.6 99.20 11.4 5.6
2000 102.10 8.0 112.00 11.4 9.7
2001 111.93 8.8 132.36 15.4 18.3
2002 121.0 7.5 137.42 3.9 19.1
2003 129.3 6.4 n.a n.a n.a
2004 133.5 3.1 n.a n.a n.a
2005 131.1 -1.8 n.a n.a n.a
http://www.cenbank.org/OUT/PUBLICATIONS/BULLION/GOV/2007/BULL%20JUL-SEPT06.PDF

This is taken from central bank report.

And the value there corresponds to your earlier value from Wikipedia.  The authority of this overrides those from your newspaper articles.
Do not try to make Buhari what he is not to score political point.

There were two 'policies' under Buhari which actually affected the exchange rate at the time.

1. The banning of foreign currency
2. The changing of the naira notes.

The first one devalued the naira because of the scarcity of the foreign currencies while the second one created scarcity of naira which should have increased the value of naira.

Both of these measures were artificial and were not sound economic policies.
Unfortunately the effect of the second policy was not strong enough to counter the effect of stifled forex flow  so the
value of the naira kept depreciating.

There is no way you can explain that away.

The value of the naira when he took over was 0.72 to a dollar which you accepted and when he left office, it was  0.89. That was 36.4% depreciation from when he took over and he could not do anything about it with his draconian policies.

I support GEJ because he is the all round best amongst the lot.
He has clear road maps which BB does not have except for his flawed claim to sainthood. I read through his Kaduna campaign speech and there were no clear solutions. Everything was vague! There was no road map on how to tackle all the issues he raised. He was able to point out the problems like all of us can but he ended up criticising PDP without proffering any solutions.

Instead of apologising to you, I will thank you for informing me.
I did not blaspheme BB, the over all context was that the Forex depreciated under his regime and that has not changed.

1 Like

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
He rejected the figures and requested for the per month forex
9ijaMan:

Why are you hell bent on peddling falsehood. You are stubbornly defending a stance that you have failed to provide evidence for. The figures shown in the CBN document in the link you posted showed the exchange rate on a yearly basis without specifically mentioning the months. Buhari came in on the 31st of Dec. 1983 (this can easily be taken as 1984). According to the CBN document, the exchange rate was 0.76 Naira to $1 in 1984 which is very much consistent with the data I provided earlier.
Buhari was ousted on the 27th of August 1985 and the news article confirmed that the exchange rate on that day was 0.765 Naira to $1 dollar. How on earth you came up with 34% depreciation befuddles me. I wonder the sort of school you attended that makes you think exchange rate is a static value which remains the same from the 1st of January to the 31st of November.

Can't you for once in you lifetime be truthful? There is really nothing civil about you blind argument. No one is scoring political points for Buhari. Apparently you are the one who's trying to justify your prevarication. You lied and it was pointed out to you. The best you can do is to apologize else you simply keep mute.

Continuing this way will only further expose your awful ignorance.

I'm glad I forced you to work your brains a bit. At least for the first time a GEJ supporter is forced to exhume evidences and facts from the internet. My disappointment is just that you still wanted to twists the facts! You can proceed in your ignorance and do not think you can fool people by peddling half truths and outright falsehood.
[quote author=9ijaMan post=7879614]

1 Like

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
In my defence again, I said
I am not peddling any falsehood.
Your source said that his source is central bank website. I quoted for you what is written in central bank website but you rejected it for an article published in TheWill.

If you cannot get an authentic source for me, then it means your article misquoted. or deliberately used the lower figure because he was trying to put IBB in a bad light.

Can you please get me the source where it was stated that the exchange rate on 27th August, 1985 was 0.765?
The foreign reserve of Nigeria depreciated from 6months import allowance in 1980 to just 2 months at the end of 1985
Moser et al

The exchange rate as at that time was expressed as nominal effective exchange rate (import-weighted basket of currencies) a method very different from the market determined exchange rate used today.
Therefore the exchange rate for a month is the average of the daily exchange rates which in turn was determined by the import vs export ratio of in seven currencies in the weighted basket. It is very clear from the link above and many other sources that Nigeria was importing more than it was exporting which was the reason why the foreign reserve was depleted reflecting huge reduction in govt savings. How could the exchange rate be stable in that condition.

's[b]hort-run fiscal stabilization measures and quantitative trade controls dominated the adjustment efforts, while underlying economic and financial condition continued to worsen'- moser
[/b]
In other words, Buhari did not do any thing economical. His economic policies like I said before were artificial and physical and had no effect on the countries economy.

In this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-605263.0.html

You argued with your cronies that Buhari was responsible for the 5% inflation in 1985 even though he left office in August. You did not look for the inflation figures per month. You argued that 4 month was not enough to reduce inflation but now you think that 4 months was enough to shoot up exchange rate. You want us to believe that the effect of 4 months exchange rate would have significantly influenced the overall average. May be you provide evidence
to convince me also if you are not being biased in your analysis.

As to how a I came about the % depreciation which should have been 26.4% not 34% undecided is very clear on the table.
He recorded 11.6% depreciation in 1984 and a further 14.6% in 1985. Add that together general.

Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
Then he raged at me
9ijaMan:

You keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into a complete web of lies. When a person tells a lie, he'll need another 10 lies to cover the first lie if he does not want to get caught and each of those 10 lies would need another 10 lies again for coverup.

I would not want to go into any epistle to show you your level of ignorance and absolute illiteracy when it come to economic matters of the Nigerian state. Below is a link to a write up by the current CBN Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi on the impact of Buhari's economic policies on the Nation.

I hope you read it and comprehend the contents. Ruminate on the article and then figure out where you've peddled lies n you previous posts on this thread and then make amends.

http://www.triumphnewspapers.org/why18112010.html
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
Another response for GenBuhari
GenBuhari:

@agabaI23,
Did u miss my last post? I wrote the following:

Buhari took over when 31st Dec 1983  (Which iwe should call 1984 ) and exchange rate then(1984) was N0.77 = 1 $  with  Naira depreciating fast with great momentum left over from Shagari's government.

After Buhari was overthrown, it was still N0.89 = 1 $ when he left, the slight depreciation was negligible considering that there was depeciation momentum from when he took over that had  to be arrested.

This was only a  very small 15.6% depreciation  considering the depreciation momentum left by Shagari and that Buhari had spent his first few months paying off debt left by Shagari.

Buhari left exchange rate of    N1 = 1$   (which IBB inherited.)  Depreciation  16%

Lets look at depreciation under tenor subsequent leaders.

%  Depreciation

IBB left office                         N18 = 1$                                                            1700%   angry

Abacha left office                   N22 = 1$                                                            22%

OBJ left office                       N125 =  1$      Hail OBJ,  Hail PDP        angry                 468%  angry 

Yara Dua left office                N171 = 1$                                                           37%

Thank IBB (almost killed us)  and his friend OBJ (finished us off - even with record oil prices) for our current predicament 

Both IBB an OBJ are PDP god fathers.

Can you remind me why EFCC has not probed IBB and OBJ?

Seriously I did. I was actually treating 9jaMan's response as yours.

However I have something to say about the period between 1974 and 1985 when the exchange rate was determined by import-weighted basket of currencies aka nominal effective exchange rate (NEER).

If you look at the depreciation rate with Shagari who was clueless, you will notice that it was always below 20%. Infact, it took three years for him to achieve a depreciation of 17.9 which was reduced afterwards.

The NEER system was not viable method of determining exchange rate because it overvalued the naira against the dollar considering that non oil export shrinked with the oil boom of the seventies and the oil price depression of 80's Nigeria's export was grossly reduced. Government savings fell from 24% of the GDP in 1980 to 12% of the GDP in 1985.  Yet the exchange rate remained comparative stable even in the face depreciating dollar.
So Buhari could not do anything to salvage the economy and like I said he had no solution then and he has no solution now.

Now about IBB killing us, no he did not kill us. He was more  realistic. When he realised that NEER was not viable
Ogiogio, 1996 (also see Moser et. al in my post above)

and was not doing the economy any good, he ditched it for market determined exchange rate (SFEM now FEM).

There was public auction of  currencies and the exchange rate was based on the demand and supply instead on trade (import) flow between countries of selected currencies. The naira value nose-dived because of worsening economic status of the country. No one paid attention to non-oil export and corruption was also depleting the external reserve.

The value of the naira cannot improve without our export increasing.

Like I said in my last post, Buhari was there when the foreign reserve was drawn down from 6months import allowance 1980 to just two months at the end of 1985.

But he will be here shouting of drawing down of foreign reserve.

He did not help the economy because he had no clue. He used physical fiscal policies like banning foreign currencies and changing the naira but their effects ephemeral.  

Because his policies were unrealistic, artificial and  draconian, it could not arrest the underlying economic and financial degradation.

It is not enough to claim he did not steal as his only reason to come back. It is just like telling us that Yar'Adua left $6.5 billion dollars in the Katsina state's account and yet the people of Katsina state had nothing to show for his 8 years as a governor. It makes nonsense.

Like I said, Buhari' Kaduna Campaign speech is watery and vague. It had no clear road map and there is not solution
to any problem I read through.

In an interview in Oct last year  he told us he was not going to prosecute past leaders and also that he will not go to court if he loses. In February, he turned back to say that those who will leave the country when he wins should get ready to do so from the same mouth.

The guy is power hungry and has no clue of what he want to do.
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
My response to Naijaman
9ijaMan:

You keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into a complete web of lies. When a person tells a lie, he'll need another 10 lies to cover the first lie if he does not want to get caught and each of those 10 lies would need another 10 lies again for coverup.

I would not want to go into any epistle to show you your level of ignorance and absolute illiteracy when it come to economic matters of the Nigerian state. Below is a link to a write up by the current CBN Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi on the impact of Buhari's economic policies on the Nation.

I hope you read it and comprehend the contents. Ruminate on the article and then figure out where you've peddled lies n you previous posts on this thread and then make amends.

http://www.triumphnewspapers.org/why18112010.html
You have not countered any of my fact based arguments. You do not have to brandish Salisu's article in truimph as your defense.
Salisu was against exchange rate  determination by market forces so what. I think you should read some academic articles on this issue before brandishing that to me. I will assume you have an independent mind that can critically analyse information for yourself. But if you choose to let Salisu speak for you. . . .all correct.

BTW that article has no data on the exchange rate we were debating. Get that for me and stop bringing out all this mushroom newspapers. Triumph is a government sponsored news media, I have never heard of Thewill before. CBN website or any published journal article will do.

Please address the issues i raised before calling me a liar. undecided
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
His Opinion
9ijaMan:

IMO you are the confused person here. Let's just assume your insinuation to the bold statement above is true, just for the sake of argument. How would you compare that with GEJ's numerous gaffes.

We know those who are behind the October 1 bomb blast, with obvious reference to IBB, only for GEJ to make a 180 deg volte-face to now claim IBB is his father who has been advising him since his days as a governor in Bayelsa state.
Perhaps you have also forgotten the statement he made on the same October 1 issue absolving MEND totally off any wrong doing while it is glaring today that he is now trying to prosecute the same MEND.
Abi na the purported text message GEJ hurried showed on NTA news attempting to link Dokpesi with he event,and today Dokpesi is now in his campaign team with all charges against him dropped. The list of his double talk/speak is endless. These are just a few.

So tell me, who's more confused between Buhari and you brother GEJ?
You've been warned to do your findings well before you make unfounded and baseless assumptions, statements or conclusions.
Ignoring the main subject...
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
My response
9ijaMan:

IMO you are the confused person here. Let's just assume your insinuation to the bold statement above is true, just for the sake of argument. How would you compare that with GEJ's numerous gaffes.

We know those who are behind the October 1 bomb blast, with obvious reference to IBB, only for GEJ to make a 180 deg volte-face to now claim IBB is his father who has been advising him since his days as a governor in Bayelsa state.
Perhaps you have also forgotten the statement he made on the same October 1 issue absolving MEND totally off any wrong doing while it is glaring today that he is now trying to prosecute the same MEND.
Abi na the purported text message GEJ hurried showed on NTA news attempting to link Dokpesi with he event,and today Dokpesi is now in his campaign team with all charges against him dropped. The list of his double talk/speak is endless. These are just a few.

So tell me, who's more confused between Buhari and you brother GEJ?
You've been warned to do your findings well before you make unfounded and baseless assumptions, statements or conclusions.
Is that the only thing you can pick out from that post to respond to? shocked shocked
I cannot defend GEJ's gaffes. He will do that himself and if he has not learnt to think before speaking he will lose the election based on that , not very sure though because very few people in Nigeria have access to the media undecided I have accepted that GEJ made some mistakes but he never claimed to be a saint fyi.

Now can you address the concrete issues raised in my post? undecided
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
GenBuhari accused me...
GenBuhari:
@agabaI23

So you support IBB?

A man who is a western stooge that wrecked our nation?

Devalued our currency by 1700% ?  shocked

Freed all the corrupt politicians jailed by Buhari and allowed them to keep most of their loot?

Embezzled trillions of Naira?

Next you gonna say that OBJ performed also, abi?  shocked

Na wa for u shocked
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
My response
No I do not support IBB. In that decision, IBB was realistic.

There was a post I made in 'what we did not know about Buhari' thread. In the post , I said that IBB set out like a good man with good intention when he started. But just a way down the line, he brought out his real colours.
What killed us was corruption. He is corrupt. He stole the country dry and introduced chop make I chop method of embezzlement which brought the economy to its knees. From there the rot continued.

But by introducing Market determined forex, IBB was realistic.

Are you out shock yet? grin
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by brownlord2: 9:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
Both GEJ and Buhari including the Tinubu domestic staff aiming to be VP are not fit for that position
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
9ijaMan again[quote author=9ijaMan post=7885661]
You have not raised any concrete issue in you post except to selectively choose which document to believe in and which one to drop. When you said that I lost hope in discussing with you.
Nevertheless, the CBN document you provided did not mention what the exchange rate was when Buhari came into power. Secondly it amounts to intellectual deficiency in economics and absolute foolhardiness for you to assume/conclude that the exchange rate for USD is a single figure for a whole year. I showed (and forced) you some evidences and the best you've been able to do is to come up with a CBN document that does not fully address the issue at hand.

You lied and I repeat for emphasis, you lied when you attempted to turn logic on it's head and came up with some fake/wrong percentage figures to justify your lies.

If you really want to make your point, come up with additional evidences which shows precisely what the exchange rate was on the 1st of January 1984 and compare it with what the figure was on the 27th of August 1985. It's will be utter stupidity for anyone to blame Buhari for the exchange rate figure by the end of December of 1985, since he left office over 4 months before the end of the year.

Here's another lie from you again:

How dare you come up with this cheap line? Your problem is that you keep jumping from pillar to post yet you have not been able to disentangle yourself from your web of confusion. I hope you've gone through Sanusi Lamido's article about Buhari's economic policies. If someone of Sanusi's status could praise Buhari's economic policies that much, na who you be with this your shallow economics knowledge to make the statement you made above. It's either you are absolutely ignorant or you simply cannot comprehend simple economic indices. This is simply another set of lies you are trying to use to cover your previous gaffes.

Yet again you made another gaffe in your attempt at praising IBB's economic policies while you condemned Buhari's.

Even the lamest economists know that IBB's economic policies ruined Nigeria and I need not go into the details of that, as that's not the topic of discuss. You need to do your homework very well instead of dwelling on a single incomplete source of historical data. The internet is awash with tonnes of data and it'll only take you a few minutes to get informed.

Produce data about the average monthly exchange rates during Buhari's rule. It's only when ou are able to do so, your basis of argument is baseless and completely untrue.
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
My response
Kulu temper we are not fighting just put your points across as clear as you can.
9ijaMan:

You have not raised any concrete issue in you post except to selectively choose which document to believe in and which one to drop. When you said that I lost hope in discussing with you.

You cannot reference any rubbish you see if you want to make a concrete argument. You reference authorities.
There is a difference between Nature Biotech when you compare it Nigerian journal of biotech grin
One is an authority and the other is anything goes.
9ijaMan:

Nevertheless, the CBN document you provided did not mention what the exchange rate was when Buhari came into power.
That was why I preferred to discuss based yearly averages which was provided but insisted on pointing to a data in quasi newspaper.

9ijaMan:

Secondly it amounts to intellectual deficiency in economics and absolute foolhardiness for you to assume/conclude that the exchange rate for USD is a single figure for a whole year. I showed (and forced) you some evidences and the best you've been able to do is to come up with a CBN document that does not fully address the issue at hand.
I am sorry if you did understand me but I am sure you did not read this
agabaI23:

You argued with your cronies that Buhari was responsible for the 5% inflation in 1985 even though he left office in August. You did not look for the inflation figures per month. You argued that 4 month was not enough to reduce inflation but now you think that 4 months was enough to shoot up exchange rate. You want us to believe that the effect of 4 months exchange rate would have significant influenced the overall average. May be you provide evidence
to convince me also if you are not being biased in your analysis.

If you read you would not think I assumed a single exchange rate for a whole year. undecided
9ijaMan:

You lied and I repeat for emphasis, you lied when you attempted to turn logic on it's head and came up with some fake/wrong percentage figures to justify your lies.

I corrected the percentage immediately. It was a mathematical error and not a logical suicide
9ijaMan:

If you really want to make your point, come up with additional evidences which shows precisely what the exchange rate was on the 1st of January 1984 and compare it with what the figure was on the 27th of August 1985. It's will be utter stupidity for anyone to blame Buhari for the exchange rate figure by the end of December of 1985, since he left office over 4 months before the end of the year.

I do not have that which was why I preferred using yearly average. You are the one using a days exchange rate not even a monthly average. Statistically that's criminal and you know it.

The exchange rate of 1985 as stated is the average of the monthly averages and which in turn is computed from the daily averages you preferred to point to.
Buhari was there for 8 months and IBB was there for 4 months. Which of the two will contribute more to the yearly average. You argued in the link I showed you above that 4 months is not enough for any economic policy to influence the economy. If I should go by your words, then Buhari should take whole credit for the 1985 average just like you gave him credit for the 5% inflation of 1985 undecided
9ijaMan:

Here's another lie from you again:
How dare you come up with this cheap line? Your problem is that you keep jumping from pillar to post yet you have not been able to disentangle yourself from your web of confusion. I hope you've gone through Sanusi Lamido's article about Buhari's economic policies. If someone of Sanusi's status could praise Buhari's economic policies that much, na who you be with this your shallow economics knowledge to make the statement you made above. It's either you are absolutely ignorant or you simply cannot comprehend simple economic indices. This is simply another set of lies you are trying to use to cover your previous gaffes.

Who is Sanusi Lamido (B.sc economics) that I cannot have a contrary opinion? He may be your alpha and Omega but he is neither to me. which status are you even talking about?
BTW remember that my statement has solid literature backing and not based on sentiments before you start playing your game of truth and dare wink
9ijaMan:

Yet again you made another gaffe in your attempt at praising IBB's economic policies while you condemned Buhari's.

Even the lamest economists know that IBB's economic policies ruined Nigeria and I need not go into the details of that, as that's not the topic of discuss. You need to do your homework very well instead of dwelling on a single incomplete source of historical data. The internet is awash with tonnes of data and it'll only take you a few minutes to get informed.

Produce data about the average monthly exchange rates during Buhari's rule. It's only when ou are able to do so, your basis of argument is baseless and completely untrue.

You can read my dialogue with GenBuhari on this issue if you want to.
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
GenBuhari:

Buhari's economic poicy that reduced inflation  from 23% to 4% u are questioning?
Yes by fixing price goods: You are as a business man bought a can of milk at the cost of N5, displays it in your shop and a customer comes in to ask for the price and you say N6 and he brandishes his military and you are under arrest. Why? The government price is N4 per can of milk. You are detained! That surely had a good effect on the economy. Do you the amount of money lost while he was controlling inflation by price fixing? Did that help the economy?
GenBuhari:

Buhari' economic policy that paid off our debt in 1.5 years?

Oh no that is not true. Nigeria external debt increased from 5% of GDP in 1980 to 23% of GDP in 1985
Moser et al link above (p69).

You may wish to read Nwaobi's  scholarly write up. See an excerpt - start from page 8

The observed worsening economic and financial conditions and alleged widespread
corruption led to a military coup at the end of 1983.  The new regime (under General Buhari)
reinforced the austerity measures while additional exchange and trade restrictions were
announced in 1984.  The fiscal and monetary measures announced were aimed drastically
reducing domestic demand pressures.  The government also implemented expenditure cuts
and substantial tax increases.  The expenditure cuts were particularly successful in the short
run and they reduce the overall federal government fiscal deficit to a significant percentage in
1985.  As a consequence, the governmentís recourse to bank credit was virtually eliminated
and inflationary pressures were significantly reduced.
However, the governmentís austerity measures did meat with some setback.  The emphasis
on short run stabilization measures reflected the governmentís belief that Nigeriaís economic
and financial problems were transient and would eventually disappear with a recovery in oil
export prices.  In the event, oil prices did not recover, and it became clear that the
stabilization policies had failed to address the underlying economic problems.  Thus,
crippling import shortages and growing social and political discontent set the stage for
another military coup (under General Babangida) who assumed power in October, 198.  After
considerable popular debate, the Babangida Government adopted in June 1986 a
comprehensive structural adjustment program (SAP) that signaled a radical departure from
previous adjustment efforts.  It emphasized reliance on market forces and deregulation.  The
objectives of the SAP were to restructure and diversify the productive base of the economy
so as to reduce dependency on the oil sector and imports; achieve fiscal and balance of
payments viability over the medium term; and promote non-inflationary economic growth.   10
The key policies designed to achieve these objectives were the tightening of financial
policies; the adoption of a market determined exchange rate; the Liberalization of the
external trade and payments system; the elimination of price controls and commodity boards;
the decontrol of interest rates; the rationalization and restructuring of public expenditure; the
rationalization of the tariff structure and the overall lowering of tariffs; and the privatization;
or commercialization of most federal public enterprises.
During this period, some of Nigeriaís earlier anti-export bias in manufacturing disappeared
with policy reforms, and producers switched from imported to local inputs.  Particularly in
agro-processing and textile manufacturing, there was greater use of locally produced
materials.  The assembly-based manufacturing, which had depended on imported inputs and
been shielded from competition and market signals, contracted.  But the industry as a whole
grew by 3.5 percent per year (1986-1990); similarly, production of traditional food crops and
cash crops increased and agricultural output grew at 4.7 percent per year on average.  
However, the gradual loss of macroeconomic control after 1990 eroded many of the positive
changes that took place in the preceding years and have begun impacting negatively real
economic indicators.  Although significant progress was made in the liberalization of the
economy, specifically through reform of the exchange and the trade system and the freeing of
prices, macroeconomic policy implementation remained erratic and failed to bring inflation
under control.
[url=http://quanterb.org/N%20POVERTY.pdf]Nwaobi[/url]

What Buhari did was to cut Government spending in line with austerity measure which Shagari had already lauched in 1982. You do not have to thank him for that.

Debt payment was carried out through reconciliation and this was initiated in 1983(Shagari) and completed by IBB administration in 1988. You cannot give him credit for that.
Adesola
It was not Buhari. BTW january 1984 to August 1985 = 20 months and not 18 months(1.5 years) as you claimed.
GenBuhari:

Buhari's ecomomic policy to preserved our currency at better than N1.00 = $1.00?

It was worse than it was when he came. At least you accepted 14.6% depreciation under a government controlled exchange rate programme that grossly over valued the naira. Shagari even faired better than him that aspect.
GenBuhari:

BB has no policy?

The policy is to eradicate corruption.

Fix power sector / electricity

Tackle crime and make streets safer

rapidly industrialize the country
How will he do that? He did not tell how he will do any of those.
It easy to say I will and I will but the problem is how to do that.
Let him tell us my friend wink
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
Ribadu
I would have preferred Ribadu but then Ribadu is riding on his popularity as EFCC chairman and he is not doing anything. Also he has Tinubu who is worse than OBJ as his Godfather. He has no plan and thinks that saying' I will change Nigeria' will win election for him. How will he change Nigeria?

Buhari
I have given my reasons why i will not vote for Buhari. Like Ribadu he is harping on his erroneously conceived Sainthood. He has no clue of what to do get our economy back on its feet. He is against privatization and I can assure you he is not going to do much in his so called fight against corruption because does not know what is called diplomatic soldiering.

Again under him massive fraud was perpetrated as a PTF chairman even though he claimed to be unaware.
The 50 suitcases issue also punctures his immaculate conception claims.

"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria," Buhari said, quoted in press reports.

"God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country," Buhari said.
http://www.news24.com/xArchive/Archive/Calls-for-total-Sharia-in-Nigeria-20010827  -AFP

He did that once by registering a circular country as a member of OIC and I do not doubt he will try that again.
Buhari has never condemned any uprising at least to my knowledge in recent times not that I know of any such condemnation in the past.

If you read his campaign speech, you will not see any  solution to any of the listed problems. Why will I vote him based on unfounded performance as a military head of state?

I do like the order he restored such that people could queue up at bus stations. Can he achieve that without the Khaki boys because he only knows the language of violence which does not refrain from using. I can go on!

GEJ
I have a few things against GEJ
His association with the brigands- OBJ, Atiku, IBB
OBJ is a man like Buhari who had passion for country but went about it his own way. He capped it up by embezzling state funds. He listened to no one and was selfish. His time was not totally disastrous but we expected a lot more.

I believe it will be good for him be his own man.

He should also think before he speaks.

Apart from that, he has spent 10 months as a president. he inherited a collapsed structure and he is fighting toot and nail to get things going.

Power- what people refused to do all these while, he mustered the courage to do. Privatization of power sector. I have a highly placed NEPA staff as a neighbour and I can tell you that privatization process has gone far and that what we need to get the stable power generation we need.

You would have read the  more obvious ones about the power road map  in the press.
The discussion continues
He has a road map for problem.

He just gave some loan to Nollywood to be accessed by members, you would not know the ripple effect of that in the economy.

During the PDP primaries and campaign, Atiku was all out attacking him like Buhari is doing now but he came out and said what he wanted to do.

He has got a plan but Buhari does not have any.

I will give him a chance but if a better candidate comes up from the blues, i ditch camp. No one on the horizon at the moment.

You are free to disagree with me grin
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
9ijaMan:

I'm certain you did not read your post before clicking the reply button. You have based your choice on a simple premise even if you fail to admit it. You are a religious bigot who only cares about the faith of anyone who leads the nation. From your post above you clearly stated that both Buhari and Ribadu have some past records to live on or hype about yet you decided to go for GEJ who does not have any achievement to his name despite being in government in one form or the other for the past 12 years.

In your previous posts you rejected any other evidence as long as it does not come from CBN but you are quick to quote 234next.com in referencing what Buhari did not say.
Below is a link to one of the numerous interviews of Buhari where he explained himself. I hope you won't come back here again and tell us that it was not Buhari who was being interviewed.

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITI0dRDjD4&feature=related[/b]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITI0dRDjD4&feature=related[/url]

I told you earlier that you'd be caught when you lie. This is another clear case!
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
quote author=GenBuhari link=topic=620012.msg7892634#msg7892634 date=1299862229]
How does the 50 cases dent Buhari's intergrity?
Let us hear what

[flash=600,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITI0dRDjD4[/flash]
[/quote]

One is only too aware that some Nigerians love to point to Buhari’s agenda of discipline as the shining jewel in his scrap-iron crown. To inculcate discipline however, one must lead by example, obeying laws set down as guides to public probity. Example speaks louder than declarations, and rulers cannot exempt themselves from the disciplinary strictures imposed on the overall polity, especially on any issue that seeks to establish a policy for public well-being. The story of the thirty something suitcases – it would appear that they were even closer to fifty - found unavoidable mention in my recent memoirs, YOU MUST SET FORTH AT DOWN, written long before Buhari became spoken of as a credible candidate. For the exercise of a changeover of the national currency, the Nigerian borders – air, sea and land – had been shut tight. Nothing was supposed to move in or out, not even cattle egrets.

Yet a prominent camel was allowed through that needle’s eye. Not only did Buhari dispatch his aide-de-camp, Jokolo – later to become an emir - to facilitate the entry of those cases, he ordered the redeployment – as I later discovered - of the Customs Officer who stood firmly against the entry of the contravening baggage. That officer, the incumbent Vice-president is now a rival candidate to Buhari, but has somehow, in the meantime, earned a reputation that totally contradicts his conduct at the time. Wherever the truth lies, it does not redound to the credibility of the dictator of that time, General Buhari whose word was law, but whose allegiances were clearly negotiable.
-Shonekan

I hope that answers your question?
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/641981/national-assembly-elections-saturday-9th/40#8103766
Check out the other thread where demystified the lies from ACN/CPC now APC
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 10:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
Buhari has no answer to our problem
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by Nobody: 1:33am On Dec 22, 2014
I don't see how a quote with no source makes your point.
agabaI23 post=29088789]quote author=GenBuhari:

How does the 50 cases dent Buhari's intergrity?
Let us hear what

[flash=600,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITI0dRDjD4[/flash]

One is only too aware that some Nigerians love to point to Buhari’s agenda of discipline as the shining jewel in his scrap-iron crown. To inculcate discipline however, one must lead by example, obeying laws set down as guides to public probity. Example speaks louder than declarations, and rulers cannot exempt themselves from the disciplinary strictures imposed on the overall polity, especially on any issue that seeks to establish a policy for public well-being. The story of the thirty something suitcases – it would appear that they were even closer to fifty - found unavoidable mention in my recent memoirs, YOU MUST SET FORTH AT DOWN, written long before Buhari became spoken of as a credible candidate. For the exercise of a changeover of the national currency, the Nigerian borders – air, sea and land – had been shut tight. Nothing was supposed to move in or out, not even cattle egrets.

Yet a prominent camel was allowed through that needle’s eye. Not only did Buhari dispatch his aide-de-camp, Jokolo – later to become an emir - to facilitate the entry of those cases, he ordered the redeployment – as I later discovered - of the Customs Officer who stood firmly against the entry of the contravening baggage. That officer, the incumbent Vice-president is now a rival candidate to Buhari, but has somehow, in the meantime, earned a reputation that totally contradicts his conduct at the time. Wherever the truth lies, it does not redound to the credibility of the dictator of that time, General Buhari whose word was law, but whose allegiances were clearly negotiable.
-Shonekan

I hope that answers your question?
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by nduchucks: 5:32pm On Dec 24, 2014
And your point is
Re: My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 by agabaI23(m): 9:08pm On Dec 24, 2014
nduchucks:
And your point is
Easy now..Why are you frowning already? Just saying he did nothing as you guys claim.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Buhari Running His Best Campaign?? / 2015: The National Association Of Nigerian Witches And Wizards Endorse Goodluck / Premium Times: Admit Lying To The Public On Ayisha Osori's Defection From PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.