Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Great Bible Contradictions - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Great Bible Contradictions (18541 Views)

Another Question For Great Bible Teachers. Daniel 7 Vs 8. What Are The 3 Horns / Great Bible Teachers On NL How Would You Interpret These Verses / Bible Contradictions: Should Christians Judge Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great Bible Contradictions by OpraMenu(m): 1:22am On Mar 29, 2015
philfearon[/quote], I JUST READ ROMANS 1 : 21 - 32 AND I NOW KNOW WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO. But There's HOPE Because The Mercy Of God Is Still Available. I Advice You Take It. Jesus Said Live And Death I Put Before You Choose one, BUT I ADVICE YOU CHOOSE LIVE. DON'T FORGET IT'S AN ADVICE. Before Which Have I Chosen, I Chose Live. What About You, which are you going to choose?
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by philfearon(m): 9:51am On Mar 29, 2015
OpraMenu:
philfearon, I JUST READ ROMANS 1 : 21 - 32 AND I NOW KNOW WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO. But There's HOPE Because The Mercy Of God Is Still Available. I Advice You Take It. Jesus Said Live And Death I Put Before You Choose one, BUT I ADVICE YOU CHOOSE LIVE. DON'T FORGET IT'S AN ADVICE. Before Which Have I Chosen, I Chose Live. What About You, which are you going to choose?
What is this supposed to mean bro?
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by OpraMenu(m): 12:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
philfearon:

What is this supposed to mean bro?
EXACTLY WHAT YOU READ
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Fari9482: 2:42am On Apr 09, 2015
Hi

I wanted to respond to the statement where we were told that when God speaks to someone, only the person he speaks to hears.

In the New Testament, when Jesus was transfigured. Were not his disciples there and heard the voice from heaven saying "this is my beloved son?"

If one says that God spoke to them, then one can either accept that or reject it. It is a futile exercise in my view trying to disprove to that person that it did not occur.

With regards to the alleged contradictions in the Bible. I would have to say there are many things in the book are problematic at least to me. I think there is a fear to admit that because if one admits that, then one is saying that it is not the inspired word. So again, I think it is a futile endeavor trying to get a person who believes it is the inspired word to admit to that.

You then have to use circular reasoning, and say "the bible says it is inspired." You will then get people quoting bible verses that say the book is inspired.

Are there any sources outside the bible validating it? I doubt it.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by OpraMenu(m): 6:30am On Apr 09, 2015
Fari9482:
Hi

I wanted to respond to the statement where we were told that when God speaks to someone, only the person he speaks to hears.

In the New Testament, when Jesus was transfigured. Were not his disciples there and heard the voice from heaven saying "this is my beloved son?"

If one says that God spoke to them, then one can either accept that or reject it. It is a futile exercise in my view trying to disprove to that person that it did not occur.

With regards to the alleged contradictions in the Bible. I would have to say there are many things in the book are problematic at least to me. I think there is a fear to admit that because if one admits that, then one is saying that it is not the inspired word. So again, I think it is a futile endeavor trying to get a person who believes it is the inspired word to admit to that.

You then have to use circular reasoning, and say "the bible says it is inspired." You will then get people quoting bible verses that say the book is inspired.

Are there any sources outside the bible validating it? I doubt it.
no, don't bring world into the bible. the bible is heavenly
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Scholar8200(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2015
ROSSIKE:
[size=15pt]Selected Bible Contradictions[/size]

1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.
(12)
II SAMUEL 24:13: So God came to David, and told him, and said unto him, shall SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or will thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue. thee?

I CHRONICLES 21:11: SO God came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee. Either THREE YEARS OF FAMINE or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee;.

(16)
2KI 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

(17)
When did Baasha die?

1KI 16:6-8 26th year of the reign of Asa

2CH 16:1 36th year of the reign of Asa

(18)

Who was the mother of Abijah?

2CH 11:20 Maachah the daughter of Absalom

2CH 13:2 Michaiah the daughter of Uriel
To start with Maachah was the daughter of a heathen king not Israelite (Deuteronomy 3:14,Joshua 13:13) hence the Michaiah rendition may be the hebrew version of her name. Another example is Nehemiah 6:1,2,6 where Geshem and Gashmu referred to the same person. Also, Uriel must have been Absalom's second name just as Jedidiah was Solomon's (2Samuel 12:24,25). As regards the other ones relating to years and periods and numbers, pls note that most of these info were compiled by Chroniclers who were human and might not have surgical-precision-accuracy in their arguments. Inasmuch as these and genealogies are not the primary essence of the Word (even 1 Timothy 1:4 says to,'neither give heed to ...endless genealogies which minister questions rather than godly edifying) they are inconsequential. Even accountants today know that when it comes to figures, you cannot be accurate to the dime for every kobo!
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Scholar8200(m): 10:13am On Apr 09, 2015
[quote author=ROSSIKE post=29088029][size=15pt]Selected Bible Contradictions[/size]

(1)
2 Kings 2:11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.
John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. Pls realise that the Bible talks of the third Heaven or paradise in 2 Corinthians 12:2,4. see Luke 23:43 and Mark 16:19. I believe Enoch, Abraham,Elijah etc all went to the third Heaven called paradise and Christ in your ref was referring to Heaven-GOD's Throne Matthew 5:34 cf Mark16:19

(2)
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Exodus 32:14 Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened. You are right but HE made us free moral agents and will not force things on us. Num 23:19,20 stood because the people were free from sin see verse 21 but when HIS people chose to forsake HIS Word in Num 25:1,2, they got the repercussion in verse 5 because the wages of sin is death. HIS promises are based on conditions which must be fulfilled else we face the consequences of our choices. Also when it says GOD relents it usually refers to delaying action for a later time see Exodus 32:34 this looks malicious but note that before GOD, only blood makes an atonement for the soul Hebrews 9:22 hence Jesus shed His blood for us that thru repentance and faith we're forgiven & justified.

(3)
Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith . . . not by works.
James 2:14-17 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? . . . Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
Revelation 22:12 Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. Yes, Ephesians 2:10, Romans 8:4 Philippians 2:13 shows that after we're saved by faith, while we live a life under the Spirit's control and restraints the fruit of love (which is d fulfilling of the law) will be made visible in us. This and our efforts in love to reach out to others for their salvation will be rewarded. Noah's faith in GOD was revealed by his building the ark etc Faith is not passive optimism but active.

(4) (Jesus speaking)
Matthew 5:16 Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven.
Matthew 6:1 Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. Right note that the focus in Matthew 5:16 is the glory of GOD while that of Matthew 6:1 is self-projection of religious acts. As the Light of the World, JESUS is our perfect example because HE ,"received not honor from men..." John 5:41,44

(5) (Jesus speaking)
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
Matthew 10:34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. pls note that the context of the first reference was the disciples in relation to themselves while the other refers to disciples in relation to a GOD-rejecting earth. verse 35 shows that people in the same family will be opposed because of their faith in and love for Christ.

(6)
Genesis 32:30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and my life was preserved.”
Exodus 33:11 The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.
John 1:18 No one has ever seen God. Exodus 33:20 confirms John 1:18. Jacob used that statement figuratively pls see Gen 28:17 for a similar expression. If you read the story, he simply wrestled with an Angel all night. Compare Exod 33:11 with Num 12:7,8 note that it says the similitude of the LORD shall HE behold. A simile was used.

(7) (Jesus speaking)
John 5:31 If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid.
John 8:14 Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid. This will be better understood if you consider John 5:19,20;John12:49 and John 14:10. I'll put it this way,"if I testify of myself of my own initiative, it is not valid, but if the FATHER that dwelleth in Me commands Me so to do then it is" Thank God He never did the former.(John 5:19,20)

(9)
PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Context of first reference Job28:28 Wisdom-fear of the Lord, Understanding - depart from evil. second reference refers to knowledge acquired academically see Eccl 12:12

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." refers to the wisdom of the world 1 Cor 2:4,6

(10)
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Isaiah spoke about Babylon, a nation whose cup of iniquity had become full & judgement was inevitable. Deut. was a principle applicable while both were alive as long as one was not a party to the sin of the other.

(11)
NUM 12:3: "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth."

NUM 31:14, 17, 18: "And Moses was wroth...And Moses said unto them, "Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman, ... But all the women children ... keep alive for yourselves." Meekness comes into play when you are calm when YOUR rights are denied consider context of first quote. Second ref was Moses simply reiterating GOD"s command concerning nations whose cup of iniquity, like sodom and gomorrah's, was full. The women to be killed were those who had known a man while those to be kept were virgins!

(13)
"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (JER 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (JAS 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1CH 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (PSA 145:9)
"God is love." (1JO 4:16)Refer to above. Every individual or nation who remains impenitent in sin will one day arrive at a point when there cup becomes full,Gen 6:3,"MY SPIRIT will not always strive with man" Nineveh repented and God relented but Nineveh sinned on and judgement came.Nahum3:7

(14)
PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. This calls for discernment as both principles apply in various circumstances.

(15)
"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (GEN 22:1)

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (JAS 1:13)Hebrews 11:17,"by faith Abraham,when he was TRIED" I guess this explains the first ref. The devil tempts us with evil that we might fall. GOD tries us for our good and Eternal profit.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Fari9482: 2:01am On Apr 10, 2015
OpraMenu:
no, don't bring world into the bible. the bible is heavenly

Again I am new here and I must be confused by how people read and comprehend what is stated.

I quoted the bible in my rebuttal. Do you have a rebuttal to what the bible stated or is this just a typical response here? That is to not address what someone says, but to make a general sweeping statement.

For those of us that who are still on the planet and not in some "heavenly realm," but still using a computer, what was worldly about what I said? Please be specific citing what I said and after defining what "worldly" means, explain what was inaccurate about it?

This is where the religious mindset gets odd to me. Heavenly. Define the term heavenly and how does that refute what I stated the Bible said? Please be specific and not use generalized statements. It is not edifying. Thanks
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by OpraMenu(m): 7:00am On Apr 10, 2015
Fari9482:

Again I am new here and I must be confused by how people read and comprehend what is stated.

I quoted the bible in my rebuttal. Do you have a rebuttal to what the bible stated or is this just a typical response here? That is to not address what someone says, but to make a general sweeping statement.

For those of us that who are still on the planet and not in some "heavenly realm," but still using a computer, what was worldly about what I said? Please be specific citing what I said and after defining what "worldly" means, explain what was inaccurate about it?

This is where the religious mindset gets odd to me. Heavenly. Define the term heavenly and how does that refute what I stated the Bible said? Please be specific and not use generalized statements. It is not edifying. Thanks
first of all i answered your question and the statement after which i made to butress my response.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by fyneboi79(m): 7:38am On Apr 10, 2015
Pheals:
U ar making a mistake my brother! Great mistake>before u read d bible always pray 4 wisdom 2understand it
Don't forget that the Bible was written by men of logic and intelligence with claims of inspiration from God.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Charlesdock(m): 10:05am On Apr 10, 2015
ROSSIKE:

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (Genesis 22:1)

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (James 1:13)

Care to explain this?
. Who tempted Job, Abraham's own was not tempt it testing
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Charlesdock(m): 10:09am On Apr 10, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Come on shut up and get lost. Criminal charlatan. What special knowledge do you have that makes a contradiction ''make perfect sense''? What mysterious endowment do you possess to make the senseless and absurd ''make perfect sense''? You are a criminal, feeding fat off deception and lies, and hoping that people are too 'awed' by your fairytale inventions to seek legitimate answers to your bible's absurdities. Now take your fuc.cked up charlatan self and face the door.
see you are even angry. What he said is true we are two parallel line which can never meet. You can just follow your There-is-no-God platform and wait for that day
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by johnydon22(m): 11:41am On Apr 10, 2015
Charlesdock:
. Who tempted Job, Abraham's own was not tempt it testing

According to the bible Yahweh gave satan the go ahead to tempt job.. which means satan was just carrying out yahweh's command.. So who do you think the real tempter is? smiley

Abraham was asked to murder his son (Any sane man wouldn't even attempt that shiit and it can traumatize a little boy for life) I dont see any difference there..
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Scholar8200(m): 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
johnydon22:

According to the bible Yahweh gave satan the go ahead to tempt job.. which means satan was just carrying out yahweh's command.. So who do you think the real tempter is? smiley

Abraham was asked to murder his son (Any sane man wouldn't even attempt that shiit and it can traumatize a little boy for life) I dont see any difference there..
There is a difference between temptation and testing/trial. Job's faith and piety was tried to prove its basis and authenticity. Temptation is an enticement to sin with a promise of pleasure or gain eg the serpent tempted Eve promising her knowledge if she'll disobey God. satan has always been the adversary/tempter Matthew 4:3 against man but he cannot move a finger if GOD doesnt allow him else just like GOD will allow a sinner to live (even if he continues in sin) expecting he'll one day repent failing which judgement will come.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by OpraMenu(m): 1:03pm On Apr 10, 2015
johnydon22:

YOU'RE TAKING YOU READING FROM KING JAMES PLEASE ALSO CHECK OTHER TRANSLATIONS AND YOU'LL SEE THAT ABRAHAM WAS TESTED. AS FOR JOB, HE WAS AN UPRIGHT MAN BEFORE GOD AND GOD SURROUNDED HIM WITH HIS LOVE THAT HE BECAME UNTOUCHABLE FOR SATAN THAT SATAN HAD TO COME AND TAKE PERMISSION FROM GOD TO TEMPT JOB.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Angelou(m): 1:52pm On Apr 10, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Come on shut up and get lost. Criminal charlatan. What special knowledge do you have that makes a contradiction ''make perfect sense''? What mysterious endowment do you possess to make the senseless and absurd ''make perfect sense''? You are a criminal, feeding fat off deception and lies, and hoping that people are too 'awed' by your fairytale inventions to seek legitimate answers to your bible's absurdities. Now take your fuc.cked up charlatan self and face the door.
wait a minute, i can sense that you are a muslim by virtue of your aggressive and uncivil mode of conduct...
why are other religions not permitted to post on the islamic section, whereas trouble-seeking muslims keep posting inciting criticism about other religions here..
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Fari9482: 9:22pm On Apr 10, 2015
OpraMenu:
first of all i answered your question and the statement after which i made to butress my response.

You answered my question

I asked one question in my statement which was this ."Are there any sources outside the bible validating it? I doubt it."

You did not say "yes there are sources outside the bible and then site the sources, neither did you say "no there are no sources outside the bible. That for me is answering a question.

Making a statement saying that I should not be worldly was not addressing the question at all.
Re: Great Bible Contradictions by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2015
lol....some thread huh?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Jesus I Saw, Same As That Drawn By An Eight Year Old Who Also Saw Him-Photos / Grace Perverted Gospel - Beware Of Joseph Prince. New Creation Church, Singapore / 'how T.b. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.