Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? (22328 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by 2gbasky22(m): 11:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
I'm asking this question against the backdrop of my recent observation of the way most of our culture and traditional practices are diminishing; I observed that most of the things we used to so do few years ago no longer exist due to the fact that most people now consider it idolatry.

In Benin kingdom for instance the IGUE festival used to be a celebration done in every single home in Benin, by the head of each of the families. However, it has now become a thing of the past, because over the years most families have been made to believe that the festival is idolatrous.

For example, yesterday was supposed to be the Igue festival across every single Bini man's home in Edo state, but the story on most Bini people's lips is "na today be IGUE before o", meaning the festival is no longer observed, except in the homes of the royal families.

Please share your views.

5 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by happykidArotiba(m): 12:06am On Dec 22, 2014
no, it isn't

7 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Funjosh(m): 2:15am On Dec 22, 2014
*modified*

We dissociates ourselves from our cultural practice because of the fetish way of their worship, yet we still bear names (ogun, osun, oya, oje etc) that associate with these Idols SMH.

4 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by 2gbasky22(m): 6:16am On Dec 22, 2014
Funjosh:
OP Its Idol not Idle. Nobody is above mistake so correct it ok.

oops!........,,,,,thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2014
Depends. Are they worshiping during the event? Idols?
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Prodeegee(m): 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2014
If its not, then what is it?
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by asodeboyede(m): 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
But with many of them God was not well pleased:
for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
Now these things were our examples, to the intent
we should not lust after evil things, as they also
lusted.
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it
is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and
rose up to play.
Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them
committed, and fell in one day three and twenty
thousand.
Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also
tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
Neither murmur ye, as some of them also
murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
Now all these things happened unto them for
examples: and they are written for our admonition,
upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take
heed lest he fall.

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by kellynoah: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
me singing.......
King of kings and Lord of lords
Lover of my soul Jehovah
One and only God
Jesus Christ the Holy Lamb
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by HonourablePomk: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
Good question
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by tempem: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
Interwoven. QED!
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by dridowu: 5:49pm On Dec 23, 2014
They all claim to be MOG but theirs ways are so impure. Me as Ijebu Man, anytime anyday Agemo Festival rocks. It is only God that knows the saint.

5 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Prodeegee(m): 5:49pm On Dec 23, 2014
[quote author=asodeboyede post=29140828][/quote]

Don't quote me o...talk ur own
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by PerfumeRepublik: 5:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
teamup:
Capital NO

I agree with you to an extent , but there are still a handful of those practises that are interwoven with idol worship. In igboland most of these practices have evolved, when Prayer Liberations are made you see them maintain the traditional market days , and in the stead of their ancient gods they mention forefathers/ancestors.
People still take the Ozo title in which sacrifices are made to the gods of the land and once Sunday comes,they still go for thanks giving at the church
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by jonescyras(m): 5:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
Blame western world and hellenization!......

If Africans and africa weren't colonized!........believe me, every religion, culture, norms and our traditions will be observed respectively at the best of it peak!.........

AFRICA,,,,,,, SLAVE TO HELLENISM!!!!!!!!

13 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by tiswell(m): 5:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
Give to ceasar what is ceasar's...don't get it twisted bro
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nikapetrelli(f): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
Lyk d saying Render to Ceaser what is Ceaser n God what is God
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by musicwriter(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
Not all.
The idea first came from missionaries to Africa. As part of the strategy of colonial brainwashing, christian and islamic missionaries brought the idea that our cultural practises contradict believe in their god. African languages were also said to be very tongue twisting and primitive, so English, French, Portuguise, Spanish, e.t.c were taught us as a better language. Since whiteman considers everything about Africa as inferior we, therefore, had to give up everything of our original African identity; languages, our cultures, system of education, e.t.c Africawide in pursuit of western models. What happened is like throwing away the original copy of your ID card and using a fake one instead. What a shame!.
Unfortunately, today we're paying heavily for the mistakes of our forefathers. The result of all that = POVERTY & DEPENDENCY on the west.
How can Africa break away from western control?. SCIENCE!. Only science will save Africa.
See my signature for details.

11 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by holatin(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
yes
Before oyinbo come Nigeria, na idol our fore father dey worship.
So na tradition and culture.
Just back from a ban.

To d mod that ban me.
use your power while it last.
Death and sack letter do come when least expected.

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by youngds: 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
undecided
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by youngice(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
Depends

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? / Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo) / Birmingham City University Hosts Ooni Of Ife As Ooni Speaks At Chatham House(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.