Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? (22309 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by laroux(m): 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2014
Africans and their stupid way of thinking. Is it funny that the Europeans made our culture and tradition inferior and yet imposed their own ways on us? How are you even show that the so called European culture and way of life is even better than the African way? The Europeans brought democracy to Africa, Christianity and their way of life to Africa and in the process destroying an age old civilisation that has existed as they did with the Mayas, Incas, Native Americans and the Aztecs. When the Europeans visited the great Bini empire they were marveled at the system of government the Binis were operating which was very similar to that of the British monarchical system. The Binis developed the bronze casting system, the Mayas invented the first world calender and the native Americans invented the irrigation system and yet they called these people primitive. Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery and stop looking inferior. It's the white man's culture that has brought about the moral decadence in our modern society. They call the African way of life fetish and primitive and they allow Same Sex marriage?

4 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Funjosh(m): 7:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
Oga read and reread my post to undastand what I posted before quoting me

Ilekeh:

Because of western ideology, your forefather's gods are no longer relevant abi?
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by TDstarr: 7:36pm On Dec 23, 2014
THE WHITE MAN MADE US BELIEVE OUR OUR TRADITIONS ARE BAD AND ONLY HIS RELIGION AND WAYS IS GOOD, EVENT THOUGH THERE WERE POWERS GUIDING OUR LAND, NO PROBLEM THOUGH, LETS KEEP FOLLOWING

4 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by xtervaganza(m): 7:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
dridowu:
They all claim to be MOG but theirs ways are so impure. Me as Ijebu Man, anytime anyday Agemo Festival rocks. It is only God that knows the saint.
my fellow Ijebu man. Ewe sooo
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by joeyekembele: 7:46pm On Dec 23, 2014
2gbasky22:
I'm asking this question against the backdrop of my recent observation of the way most of our culture and traditional practices are diminishing; I observed that most of the things we used to so do few years ago no longer exist due to the fact that most people now consider it idolatry.

In Benin kingdom for instance the IGUE festival used to be a celebration done in every single home in Benin, by the head of each of the families. However, it has now become a thing of the past, because over the years most families have been made to believe that the festival is idolatrous.

For example, yesterday was supposed to be the Igue festival across every single Bini man's home in Edo state, but the story on most Bini people's lips is "na today be IGUE before o", meaning the festival is no longer observed, except in the homes of the royal families.

Please share your views.

Anything fetishism and has got to do with sacrifice, is idolatry. I Igue festival in Bani Kingdom, sacrifices are made to the gods, this is an outright idolatory

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Ilekeh(f): 7:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
Funjosh:
Oga read and reread my post to undastand what I posted before quoting me

Mo ti gbo. Obatala lo se.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Funjosh(m): 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2014
A mo iru yin, boya wa so wipe nkan ti mo ko ko ye e ni

Ilekeh:

Mo ti gbo. Obatala lo se.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2014
kellynoah:
me singing.......
King of kings and Lord of lords
Lover of my soul Jehovah
One and only God
Jesus Christ the Holy Lamb
what does this have to do with the topic

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
PerfumeRepublik:

I agree with you to an extent , but there are still a handful of those practises that are interwoven with idol worship. In igboland most of these practices have evolved, when Prayer Liberations are made you see them maintain the traditional market days , and in the stead of their ancient gods they mention forefathers/ancestors.
People still take the Ozo title in which sacrifices are made to the gods of the land and once Sunday comes,they still go for thanks giving at the church
its idol worship because your religion called it such. Then I tell u .. We r all idol worshipers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by InvertedHammer: 8:01pm On Dec 23, 2014
/
Interesting!

You bow down to crucifix, cross; use chaplets and blessed sacraments; buy vehicle stickers from Daddy and Mummy G.Os for protection.

Yet you have the guts to chastise traditional religion as idolatrous.

Maybe you need your head examined.

They are all the same...just different packaging.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Ilekeh(f): 8:01pm On Dec 23, 2014
Funjosh:
A mo iru yin, boya wa so wipe nkan ti mo ko ko ye e ni

Lol ki lo n se e? Sango le yi aye e pada cheesy
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 8:01pm On Dec 23, 2014
musicwriter:
Not all.
The idea first came from missionaries to Africa. As part of the strategy of colonial brainwashing, christain and islamic missionaries brought the idea that our cultural practises contradict believe in their god. But, that's not true.
best post on here.. People remember that as you follow another mans religion . Its another mans culture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 8:07pm On Dec 23, 2014
dublinkmy6:

if idol worshiping was a good thing and had no negative effects on the worshipers, it wouldn't have been losing it's popularity. Just a point to ruminate on if you have the cells.
we are loosing it due to intellectual inferiority! How come asian religions and Practices are making waves .. From karate to yoga , to all forms off meditation.. And its considered good.. the problem is with we as a people. I keep saying it that black people are evolving wrongly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by redsun(m): 8:09pm On Dec 23, 2014
It depends on who define idolatry. The devil himself could be calling the other devil.What Africans believes about themselves is what oyinbos make of them and want them to believe. They Colonized them,school them,name them,partition them and directs them.

"Modern" Africans of today have no beliefs of their own. They are like leaves in the wind,with no original thoughts, strategies,intuitions and instincts.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2014
Yes so and I'll give one simple example to prove my point. A modern traditionalist will never want to marry a woman of his kind- those kind of women that visit,bath, eat and sleep in shrines for concotions and all that. What does that tell you? The ancient traditions/cultures were based on fetish and demeaning teachings from wicked spirits-most with gay attributes that's why women were tossed around like dirt. Thank God for christianity and civilization.

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by annita19(f): 9:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
Its sad when motherland (Africa) let go of their tradition to self influenced white man called Jesus (a fairy tale) obedient slaves since 1340

5 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by saintopus(m): 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
The word "idol " is used very often by European and the whites to describe African and other black nation and the Carribeans type of God. African traditional religion lacks backing by the Europeans because it was not written down in a Holy Book otherwise, we could have considered gods like "Amadioha, Ogun oduduwa etc, as Gods too. Come to think of it, most names of Gods written down in the Old Testament are just like African Gods.

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by ellechrystal(f): 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
happykidArotiba:
no, it isn't
Yes it is
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 9:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
happykidArotiba:
no, it isn't

Not all aspects of our culture are idolatous. But some clearly are. I don't see why a Christian should take part in Igue festival. Better things to do........

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by BlackLeopard(m): 9:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
Don't know why be focusing on what imported religion/mentality got to say to things that are the very roots who we be.

Beside say the Bible brings up even the kings needed to consult ancestors when war got bad.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by onoja12: 12:14am On Dec 24, 2014
fetish you say,ignorance since the day white introduce there religion in Africa things have never been the same,china is what it is today because it reject the white brain washing in the name of religion

Funjosh:
*modified*

We dissociates ourselves from our cultural practice because of the fetish way of their worship, yet we still bear names (ogun, osun, oya, oje etc) that associate with these Idols SMH.

4 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by menxer: 12:22am On Dec 24, 2014
we claim to be Christians and better than our ancestors, yet corruption and moral decadence is the order of the day, even in churches.

I was telling my friends the other day, that if in Nigeria, political office holders are sworn into office using our traditional religious rites, corruption would be non existent.

after all the bible says, ...but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits. (Dan 11:32)
Are we a strong people?

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 12:49am On Dec 24, 2014
koyyess:
Yes so and I'll give one simple example to prove my point. A modern traditionalist will never want to marry a woman of his kind- those kind of women that visit,bath, eat and sleep in shrines for concotions and all that. What does that tell you? The ancient traditions/cultures were based on fetish and demeaning teachings from wicked spirits-most with gay attributes that's why women were tossed around like dirt. Thank God for christianity and civilization.
Your post reeks of hypocrisy.When it comes to misogynism,Christianity and Islam are the major culprits. In fact the bible is replete with verses that make women look like the scum of the earth. Go back and read your bible

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cy4cent(f): 5:36am On Dec 24, 2014
No, it is not, for me n my household we still celebrate d igue festival. our problem in Edo is that we allow other tribes tell us that our tradition is fetish but when its time for theirs they travel home ,n do d real fetish festivals, but cos we don't know they come as saints to us to condemn our own festival Dat is not even fetish.

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cy4cent(f): 5:54am On Dec 24, 2014
KLand:

Not all aspects of our culture are idolatous. But some clearly are. I don't see why a Christian should take part in Igue festival. Better things to do........
Are you a Bini ? I guess no!!you could be one of those people that criticize another man's culture but don't miss travelling to your home town when it's time for your even more fetish traditions. if you are not Bini just shut up before your wide mouth gets bigger than your head.if you are a bini I pity your inferiority complex!! one day for igue festival doesn't mean you can't do other things for the remaining 364 days!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:24am On Dec 24, 2014
asodeboyede:
But with many of them God was not well pleased:
for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
Now these things were our examples, to the intent
we should not lust after evil things, as they also
lusted.
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it
is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and
rose up to play.
Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them
committed, and fell in one day three and twenty
thousand.
Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also
tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
Neither murmur ye, as some of them also
murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
Now all these things happened unto them for
examples: and they are written for our admonition,
upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take
heed lest he fall.
Is it yes or no. All what you wrote is in the KJV version of the Bible.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by mayor007(m): 10:40am On Dec 24, 2014
The ignorant ones celebrated Halloween just months ago whilst they are always ready to vilify any aspect of our culture.

People need to research more.

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 10:47am On Dec 24, 2014
cold:

Your post reeks of hypocrisy.When it comes to misogynism,Christianity and Islam are the major culprits. In fact the bible is replete with verses that make women look like the scum of the earth. Go back and read your bible
No, you are the one that needs to read the bible. But like the typical african that you are, laziness and lack of comprehensive skills are will make you repeat what you've just spewed. Banking on you will mean suicide.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by happykidArotiba(m): 10:48am On Dec 24, 2014
KLand:

I think I agree wf u!!

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by happykidArotiba(m): 10:49am On Dec 24, 2014
ellechrystal:

Yes it is
y do u say dat?
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by happykidArotiba(m): 10:50am On Dec 24, 2014
robinicule:
u must be an Ifa priest
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? / Okwu Ntabi Ile / Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.