Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,473 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:01 PM

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? (22179 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
del
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2014
happykidArotiba:
I think I agree wf u!!

Thanks.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by M4gunners: 4:29pm On Dec 24, 2014
For years we have been practicing it, we end gaining not.Now it's time for God not idols.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 4:44pm On Dec 24, 2014
cy4cent:
Are you a Bini ? I guess no!!you could be one of those people that criticize another man's culture but don't miss travelling to your home town when it's time for your even more fetish traditions. if you are not Bini just shut up before your wide mouth gets bigger than your head.if you are a bini I pity your inferiority complex!! one day for igue festival doesn't mean you can't do other things for the remaining 364 days!!!

First I'm not Bini, so cool down. culture or no culture I know many bini people who don't celebrate igue.
Second, you don't know where I come from... .. We have festivals too. But I don't partake because I don't believe in fetish things.
Third my comment was to Christians not to celebrate igue, and you know why.
Fourth, if you were a true Christian you would not be so offended about that.s
Fifth, why would I want to celebrate igue when it has turned you into a cursing machine? I bless, I don't curse.
Sixth continue with your igue until you see the light. No problem. Enjoy.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cy4cent(f): 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2014
KLand:

First I'm not Bini, so cool down. culture or no culture I know many bini people who don't celebrate igue.
Second, you don't know where I come from... .. We have festivals too. But I don't partake because I don't believe in fetish things.
Third my comment was to Christians not to celebrate igue, and you know why.
Fourth, if you were a true Christian you would not be so offended about that.s
Fifth, why would I want to celebrate igue when it has turned you into a cursing machine? I bless, I don't curse.
Sixth continue with your igue until you see the light. No problem. Enjoy.
sweetheart I have long awaited your response,you didn't disappoint me at all!! point of correction I m not n cannot be offended by you, if you are not Bini then mind your business. there is nothing like cursing machine here it would be better called response machine dear!! if you are a true xtian dear you won't say there are better things to do wen it doesn't concern you! let's see d xtianity in your xter not you saying it...My dear, be d Church n don't just go to Church!!!!
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by iamord(m): 5:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
M4gunners:
For years we have been practicing it, we end gaining not.Now it's time for God not idols.
speak for yourself!

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by emmyskies(m): 5:18pm On Dec 24, 2014
All cultural festivals are hundred percent idolatory. Many have stopped it, but then, the devil is using other means to trap them
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by InvertedHammer: 6:37pm On Dec 24, 2014

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 7:05pm On Dec 24, 2014
Funjosh:
*modified*

We dissociates ourselves from our cultural practice because of the fetish way of their worship, yet we still bear names (ogun, osun, oya, oje etc) that associate with these Idols SMH.

Idiot. Cultural practices are a way of life of a people...their mentality, their character...

u are a slave however, my ancestors called children like u Omo-Ale...so u can't possibly know what culture is, you have no identity, u lack history and lack pride...many of such omo-ale exist in Africa today due to the brainwash of religion, their non-existent gods and their false doctrines

It's to be expected that Africa will continue to suffer and lack progress until it stops playing "follow" to the West and Arabs

I am proud Yoruba, African, and I love my ancestors and will surely name my children after their Great fathers and mothers, and train them to the Omoluabi way...so omo-ale, we Africans should give our children African names in honour of our ancestry and identity

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2014
PerfumeRepublik:

I agree with you to an extent , but there are still a handful of those practises that are interwoven with idol worship. In igboland most of these practices have evolved, when Prayer Liberations are made you see them maintain the traditional market days , and in the stead of their ancient gods they mention forefathers/ancestors.
People still take the Ozo title in which sacrifices are made to the gods of the land and once Sunday comes,they still go for thanks giving at the church

Wat practices? You freaking hypocrite, why not go to Europe and quarrel over the idol worship of Christmas that Europeans brought to our shores, or Halloween, Valentines, Easter, Thanks giving, October Fest or Arabs on Eid El Malud, Eid El kabir which they also brought to our land.

we are Africans and must identify as Africans, if u are ashamed of yr ancestors then bastard you take a way one trip to Iceland and never return

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
jonescyras:
Blame western world and hellenization!......

If Africans and africa weren't colonized!........believe me, every religion, culture, norms and our traditions will be observed respectively at the best of it peak!.........

AFRICA,,,,,,, SLAVE TO HELLENISM!!!!!!!!

Exactly! There's only one term for those who hate their African identity - Mental slaves
It's saddening that these bastard slaves are everywhere in large numbers

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 7:17pm On Dec 24, 2014
M4gunners:

Slave, ur god is nothing but an idol

2 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by M4gunners: 7:19pm On Dec 24, 2014
macof:

Slave, ur god is nothing but an idol
Ignored.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by kingston277(m): 11:47pm On Dec 24, 2014
@Rossike

Thanks for the read. I came out of here far more educated on ATR than when I came in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by kingston277(m): 11:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
KLand:

Not all aspects of our culture are idolatous. But some clearly are. I don't see why a Christian should take part in Igue festival. Better things to do........
Like molesting children...

3 Likes

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Funjosh(m): 12:47am On Dec 25, 2014
Hey, who is omoale

Mind you am a typical yoruba man and becos you cant realy comprehend my post doesnt warrant you to refer to me as a bastard.

Read and reread my post so that u get full understanding of it lipsrsealed

macof:

Idiot. Cultural practices are a way of life of a people...their mentality, their character...

u are a slave however, my ancestors called children like u Omo-Ale...so u can't possibly know what culture is, you have no identity, u lack history and lack pride...many of such omo-ale exist in Africa today due to the brainwash of religion, their non-existent gods and their false doctrines

It's to be expected that Africa will continue to suffer and lack progress until it stops playing "follow" to the West and Arabs

I am proud Yoruba, African, and I love my ancestors and will surely name my children after their Great fathers and mothers, and train them to the Omoluabi way...so omo-ale, we Africans should give our children African names in honour of our ancestry and identity
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 12:56am On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

No, you are the one that needs to read the bible. But like the typical african that you are, laziness and lack of comprehensive skills are will make you repeat what you've just spewed. Banking on you will mean suicide.
Well mr 'not your typical African christian'. Here's what your fellow 'non typical African Christian' who sold you the dummy called christianity think of you.

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 4:52am On Dec 25, 2014
kingston277:

Like molesting children...

Honestly, I don't know what you meant.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 4:57am On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Well mr christian. Here's what the same folks who sold you the dummy called christianity think of you.

Your picture quote refers. The person that wrote that thing is so so ignorant. I know he doesn't know God, so he should not make the claim. He is on his own.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by KLand(m): 5:08am On Dec 25, 2014
cy4cent:
sweetheart I have long awaited your response,you didn't disappoint me at all!! point of correction I m not n cannot be offended by you, if you are not Bini then mind your business. there is nothing like cursing machine here it would be better called response machine dear!! if you are a true xtian dear you won't say there are better things to do wen it doesn't concern you! let's see d xtianity in your xter not you saying it...My dear, be d Church n don't just go to Church!!!!

Smiles. My dear, thank you very much. It is Christian character not to join in igue celebration. Lol.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 11:35am On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Well mr 'not your typical African christian'. Here's what your fellow 'non typical African Christian' who sold you the dummy called christianity think of you.
There are somethings you and the individual who made that comment have in common. You both are ignorant, racist and have no clue of what christainity is all about. You see for a white to utter that epistle should have simply told you something about the religion of christianity- it is no white or black religion.It is a religion for people who do not have the hateful and negative qualities that you both possess. Ofcourse you didn't know that because reading is like punishment to you.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

There are somethings you and the individual who made that comment have in common. You both are ignorant, racist and have no clue of what christainity is all about. You see for a white to utter that epistle should have simply told you something about the religion of christianity- it is no white or black religion.It is a religion for people who do not have the hateful and negative qualities that you both possess. Ofcourse you didn't know that because reading is like punishment to you.
Hateful or negative qualities you say? Lol you got jokes. Are we talking about the book with the most genocides in recorded history? The joke is on you kid

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 1:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
Funjosh:
Hey, who is omoale

Mind you am a typical yoruba man and becos you cant realy comprehend my post doesnt warrant you to refer to me as a bastard.

Read and reread my post so that u get full understanding of it lipsrsealed

Oh! I didn't call u a bastard..our ancestors did.
A man who lacks that Omoluabi way and rejects his ancestors is an omo-ale..so that's what you are, it's nt jst a mere word..it describes u right now

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 1:52pm On Dec 25, 2014
dublinkmy6:
No celebration, activity, e.t.c. Is evil or idolatrous except it glorifies something other than God.

And what do u understand by "God"
I guess only what u do in ur church is good
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Funjosh(m): 1:56pm On Dec 25, 2014
Oga read my first post and get what am saying then quote me when you understand it thanks

macof:

Oh! I didn't call u a bastard..our ancestors did.
A man who lacks that Omoluabi way and rejects his ancestors is an omo-ale..so that's what you are, it's nt jst a mere word..it describes u right now
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 1:58pm On Dec 25, 2014
dublinkmy6:

if idol worshiping was a good thing and had no negative effects on the worshipers, it wouldn't have been losing it's popularity. Just a point to ruminate on if you have the cells.

there's nothing like idol worshipping.. We Africans don't do idol worshipping..it's the Europeans who call us that to intimidate us
We are proud spiritually conscious people, Africans taught Europeans all they know..but years after we have Africans as mental slaves to the same Europeans...pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 2:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
henryadex:
When you talk about our culture we are talking about our deities which aren't related to God of the bible
So judge for yourself

Good. You have admitted that the God of the Bible isn't the Creator of the universe our ancestors have worshiped for thousands of years before christianity

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by macof(m): 2:56pm On Dec 25, 2014
KLand:

Not all aspects of our culture are idolatous. But some clearly are. I don't see why a Christian should take part in Igue festival. Better things to do........

then a Christian is another term for bastard, if Christians shouldn't take part in their cultural practices
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by koyyess: 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2014
cold:

Hateful or negative qualities you say? Lol you got jokes. Are we talking about the book with the most genocides in recorded history? The joke is on you kid
And you want to tell me that the world your ancestors lived in was devoid of even worse atrocities? Look around you, even your descendants will feel the negative impact of the grave mistakes you are committing right now. You talk about joke? I'm not the traditionalist wearing a christian mask like a coward. You and your kind are the jokers who rant and do absolutely nothing to show how much better you are....make a difference or continue the 'idiocy'.
Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by cold(m): 3:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
koyyess:

And you want to tell me that the world your ancestors lived in was devoid of even worse atrocities? Look around you, even your descendants will feel the negative impact of the grave mistakes you are committing right now. You talk about joke? I'm not the traditionalist wearing a christian mask like a coward. You and your kind are the jokers who rant and do absolutely nothing to show how much better you are....make a difference or continue the 'idiocy'.
Here's a record of some of the genocide committed by your 'loving' god. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Please show me records of atrocities commited by traditionalists. Mind you,i'm an atheist. But if i ever have to return to religion,i'll return to the gods of my fathers

1 Like

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 25, 2014
It is quite painful that the supposedly educated ones are very blind to the fact that religions are part of cultural evolution and absorbing a belief system from another culture is highly affective in that it shapens identity and mind.

Europeans know this, reason they, after deciding upon taking Africans as slaves to the new world in Catholic church (google las casas), sustaining slavery as a system for centuries using biblical scriptures as their moral backing, resorted to proselytize Africans by the way of 'missionary' to pave way for colonial imperialism have now wielded religion as a divide and rule tactic - see how tensed and muddled up African countries are over religious tensions.

Slave trade, slavery, proselytize, colonialism and religious tendion are all applicable to Islam. Start from Arab Slave trade to the formation of Islamic empires and then the preaent religious problens.

Europeans pray for 10 mins and work/research/invent for 10 hours.

Africans pray for 10 hours and work/research/invent for 10 mons.

Believing in Jesus or Allah was not the reason for whatever miracle(s) you have personally experienced, in Yoruba system and world over, the good you have genuinely done in silence is waiting to be reaped.

The many problems or next year smoothness or roughness can all be revealed through Ifa and the little things to be done to avert those problems will be prescribed. Shouting atop your voice, fasting, wrapping yourself up in this tropical heat, hitting your forehead on the floor etc are not your answers.

Many suffer from generational problems and they have seen their parents struggle and even pass away while trudging with the same problem their own parents dealt with - I have seen many. Jesus or Allah won't giveyou answers to tjings of these nature and honest pastors, who should normally advise you go back to your roots will keep you fasting and donating your last money into his coffers.

Let me stop here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
In addition, many folks are mentally tied to these foreign beliefs because they were born into it and then the fear of 'hell fire' which has been a psychological coercion to keep many stuck.

The funny part is, the foreigners who gave them these beliefs are trudging down to their own (Africans) backyard to learn what they have abandoned.

Soon there will be full cultural transfer, their society will thrive off what you left while yours will plunge into chaos over what they gave you. Then you'd have to pay then for solutions etc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano Celebrates 50yrs On The Throne (Pictures) / Your Favourite Yoruba Proverbs! / Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.