Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,088 members, 7,807,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? (6995 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 1:18pm On Dec 22, 2014
We all know Nigeria is a country blessed with diverse ethnic groups who speak various distinct local languages called dialects.
In the north, we have the Hausas, Fulanis, Beroms, . Kanuris, Tivs, Jukuns, Katafs, Igalas, Nupes, Eggons e.t.c.
While in the south, we have the yorubas, Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws, Urhobos e.t.c.
These tribes possess their respective local languages with which the communicate among themselves and these languages vary from one tribe to another; in some cases, with small disparity.
Thus, each tribe has a way or term which they use to make reference to the natives of another given tribe different from theirs. That is what forms the crux of creating this thread; let us know what tribal name you call e.g the hausas, or yorubas, or Igbos e.t.c in your dialect.
I hope nairalanders will learn something new from this thread. And as the OP, let me open the floor with mine.
Well, as an original hausa man, lol (though speak less hausa right from childhood); in my tribe, we refer to the following tribes thus:
igbos - inyamarai
yorubas - yarbawa
jukun - jukunawa
igala - garra
nupe - nupawa e.t.c.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by sweettease(f): 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2014
I nor learn urhobo reach that place
*waiting for mumcy to return so I can ask her*

Btw I know yoruba own sha grin
Hausa - mallam or omo hausa
Other tribes - omo igbo (whether you are igbo or not lol), there might be another word but that's what they do, everybody except the hausas na omo igbo.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
sweettease:

Other tribes - omo igbo (whether you are igbo or not lol), there might be another word but that's what they do, everybody except the hausas na omo igbo.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 4:16pm On Dec 22, 2014
sweettease:

Really? cheesy
This means the terms used by the yorubas are very easy to understand. Gud one cool
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Zags001: 4:23pm On Dec 22, 2014
This looks interesting smiley
well in my own dialect (gure), this is what we call the following respective tribes:
yoruba; a'pabi
igbos; a'kyema
hausas; a'chetti e.t.c
These are the ones i know so well sha. grin

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 8:07pm On Dec 22, 2014
Zags001:
well in my own dialect (gure), this is what we call the following respective tribes:
yoruba; a'pabi
igbos; a'kyema
hausas; a'chetti e.t.c

Wow nice. Is that a tribe in the south or north of the naija?
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 11:59am On Dec 23, 2014
as per the Igbo nation, we've names for neighboring nations viz
1]Hausa =>Awusa
2]Annang,Ibibio-efik =>Mmoño
3]Yoruba =>Ofe'mmanu,Mgbati,Akawoo
4]Edo,Urobo/Isoko =>Bini
5]Ijo =>Mbammiri

all the other nations like igala,idoma and ejagham that surround Igbo land bear their normal/indigenous names smiley

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 2:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
cheruv:
as per the Igbo nation, we've names for neighboring nations viz
1]Hausa =>Awusa
2]Annang,Ibibio-efik =>Mmoño
3]Yoruba =>Yoruba,Mgbati,Akawoo
4]Edo,Urobo/Isoko =>Bini
5]Ijo =>Mbammiri

all the other nations like igala,idoma and ejagham that surround Igbo land bear their normal/indigenous names smiley

Thats really insightful. But i thought Igbos also refer to the Yorubas as Ofem..an.nu or something like that? Or is that derogatory??
Kindly explain pls, tnx.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Zags001: 4:03pm On Dec 23, 2014
limamintruth:

Wow nice. Is that a tribe in the south or north of the naija?

North
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 6:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
limamintruth:

Thats really insightful. But i thought Igbos also refer to the Yorubas as Ofem..an.nu or something like that? Or is that derogatory??
Kindly explain pls, tnx.
the spambot autocorrected the ofe'mmanu stuff I wrote to Yoruba. the names the Yorubas have isn't derogatory but due to how they behave eg
1]ofe'mmanu :this simply means ofe(soup) and mmanu(oil/oily) and this simply means oily soup.this is bkos Yorubas consume a lot of oil when preparing their soups
2]mgbati :this simply means mgba(wrestle) and ti(shout) and this is bkos yolobas shout a lot when talking which gives the impression that they're soon going to fight.. which doesn't happen afterwards undecided
3]akawoo :this simply means to mark or marks and this is due to the tribal marks yolobas are known to carry

that's how those names came about cheesy
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
Zags001:

North
which state?
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 9:20pm On Dec 23, 2014
cheruv:

the spambot autocorrected the ofe'mmanu stuff I wrote to Yoruba. the names the Yorubas have isn't derogatory but due to how they behave eg
1]ofe'mmanu :this simply means ofe(soup) and mmanu(oil/oily) and this simply means oily soup.this is bkos Yorubas consume a lot of oil when preparing their soups
2]mgbati :this simply means mgba(wrestle) and ti(shout) and this is bkos yolobas shout a lot when talking which gives the impression that they're soon going to fight.. which doesn't happen afterwards undecided
3]akawoo :this simply means to mark or marks and this is due to the tribal marks yolobas are known to carry

wow, tnx alot. I'v indeed learnt something new here.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 6:07am On Dec 24, 2014
Zags001:
yoruba; a'pabi
igbos; a'kyema
hausas; a'chetti e.t.c
Lol, pls what are possible meanings to A'pabi? At what state can Gure people be found? Op, nice topic. You deserve so much.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 6:27am On Dec 24, 2014
cheruv:

Mgbati is a frequently used word in Yoruba, it means 'when'. There is something called 'hidden corriculum'. In Yoruba, the rule is: 'saalo siwaju ija'. It means 'shout before you fight' In Yoruba, it is foul to attack your adversary unaware, you will be punished if you do. Ejo laako k'ato ko'ja.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Zags001: 7:13am On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:
Lol, pls what are possible meanings to A'pabi? At what state can Gure people be found? Op, nice topic. You deserve so much.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 7:26am On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:

Op, nice topic. You deserve so much.

Thanx alot boss cool

2prexios:
Mgbati is a frequently used word in Yoruba, it means 'when'. There is something called 'hidden corriculum'. In Yoruba, the rule is: 'saalo siwaju ija'. It means 'shout before you fight' In Yoruba, it is foul to attack your adversary unaware, you will be punished if you do. Ejo laako k'ato ko'ja.

Wow, you seem to be very well learned in yoruba culture & language @2prexios.

I'm really impressed. smiley
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Zags001: 7:45am On Dec 24, 2014
cheruv:

which state?

2prexios:

Gure is the name of my tribe, the name of my dialect and the name of of my hometown (3-in-1, lol) cheesy

Gure is a tribe in Lere L.G.A of Kaduna state and has a very rich fulani heritage. Infact, the term 'Gure' is a pure fulani word, which means 'bukka' in hausa or 'hut' in english. cool

@2prexio, 'a'pabi' simply means 'the people of the other valley' or 'the people of the other plain land' or 'the people of the other land below the hill'. I dont really know the origin of these references sha,
Note however that my hometown(Gure) is situated on a vast valley-land that is surrounded by hills & high rocks. Maybe thats why my people refer to the yorubas as the 'people of the other valley' (not sure sha). smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 8:30am On Dec 24, 2014
limamintruth:

Thanx alot boss cool

Wow, you seem to be very well learned in yoruba culture & language @2prexios.

I'm really impressed. smiley
I love history and culture, most of all I love the way our ancestors were able to create meaningful words that we often take for granted. Zags001, I believe that Yoruba/Fulani/Hausa etc were kinsmen in some remote past. I found 'duduwa' in Fulani lexicon, dan'tada in Hausa. Do you know of it? Seriously, apabi sounds like Yoruba too, it means 'by this side'. I was surprise one day my neighbour said he's fulani. I believe he was Yoruba until then. Then later, I look at his wife critically to be sure: she's slim, (someone call the husband 'dan Fulani) so I believe.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 2:30pm On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:
I love history and culture, most of all I love the way our ancestors were able to create meaningful words that we often take for granted. Zags001, I believe that Yoruba/Fulani/Hausa etc were kinsmen in some remote past. I found 'duduwa' in Fulani lexicon, dan'tada in Hausa. Do you know of it? Seriously, apabi sounds like Yoruba too, it means 'by this side'. I was surprise one day my neighbour said he's fulani. I believe he was Yoruba until then. Then later, I look at his wife critically to be sure: she's slim, (someone call the husband 'dan Fulani) so I believe.

Yea. Most of our indigenous languages are kinda inter-woven. So its very common to hear two or more dialects with so many similar words in their local languages.

I didnt really get the 'dan tada' you mentioned sha; maybe the spelling doesnt tally with how its pronounced thats why. The one i know of is 'dan ta'ada' and it means a trouble maker.

Lets expect more insightful contributions from nairalanders; i believe we'l all hav alot to learn here. cool
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 4:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
limamintruth:

Yea. Most of our indigenous languages are kinda inter-woven. So its very common to hear two or more dialects with so many similar words in their local languages.

I didnt really get the 'dan tada' you mentioned sha; maybe the spelling doesnt tally with how its pronounced thats why. The one i know of is 'dan ta'ada' and it means a trouble maker.

Lets expect more insightful contributions from nairalanders; i believe we'l all hav alot to learn here. cool
I think that's the right spelling. It was given as a woman that pretends as man in that theussaurus. You make a lovely post.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by oboy3(m): 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
cheruv:

the bolded is wrong,mgbati is how the yorubas say ''when'',they say mgbati too much then igbos named them ''ndi mgbati mgbati'',its a yoruba word not igbo

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Exjoker(m): 9:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
Let me go check my history book first...
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 11:27pm On Dec 24, 2014
Exjoker:

lol cheesy

What tribe (if i may ask)?
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 11:30pm On Dec 24, 2014
Exjoker:

Sure. Your contribution is also needed here boss. cool
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 11:32pm On Dec 24, 2014
2prexios:
I think that's the right spelling. It was given as a woman that pretends as man in that theussaurus. You make a lovely post.

Yea, tnx alot.
Enjoy.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Zags001: 1:22am On Dec 25, 2014
2prexios:

That is quite true.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 4:00am On Dec 25, 2014
oboy3:
the bolded is wrong,mgbati is how the yorubas say ''when'',they say mgbati too much then igbos named them ''ndi mgbati mgbati'',its a yoruba word not igbo
I never said that was an Igbo word..mgbati like you and a former poster said it meant when. there's nothing like that in Igbo lingo.
the only thing I said was what I was told, that it meant wrestling talk/shout i.e mgba+ti which means its a union of two desperate meanings.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2014
Igbo - Isoma cheesy

Hausa/Fulani - Nde Abakpa grin

Yoruba - Odudu nwa cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2014
Truckpusher:
Igbo - Isoma cheesy

Hausa/Fulani - Nde Abakpa grin

Yoruba - Odudu nwa cheesy

nice.
What lang. is that pls & whats the literal meaning of the hausa/fulani reference word @truckpusher?
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 5:09pm On Dec 25, 2014
limamintruth:

nice.
What lang. is that pls & whats the literal meaning of the hausa/fulani reference word @truckpusher?
It's the language of a minority ethnic group in Rivers State.

The literal meaning of the Hausa/Fulani tribal name has something to do with their nomadic lifestyle,the warlike attitude,fearless and their unassuming attitude in a derogatory manner though by this minority people. grin

These names are ancient names according to how they encountered themselves.......The first encounter of this minority tribe and the Hausa/Fulani people was during the time of the reign of the great Benin empire/kingdom before the kingdom was even sacked by the British army with infamous punitive expedition.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2014
Truckpusher:
It's the language of a minority ethnic group in Rivers State.

The literal meaning of the Hausa/Fulani tribal name has something to do with their nomadic lifestyle,the warlike attitude,fearless and their unassuming attitude in a derogatory manner though by this minority people. grin

These names are ancient names according to how they encountered themselves.......The first encounter of this minority tribe and the Hausa/Fulani people was during the time of the reign of the great Benin empire/kingdom before the kingdom was even sacked by the British army with infamous punitive expedition.

lol, i understand.
Some of these names do seem derogatory; we have our own fair share of such names too. grin
Pls which tribe is that?

I really look forward to reading from as many nairalanders as possible too; particularly those from minority ethnic groups in nig. All contributions are highly welcome.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 5:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
limamintruth:

lol, i understand.
Some of these names do seem derogatory; we have our own fair share of such names too. grin
Pls which tribe is that?

I really look forward to reading from as many nairalanders as possible too; particularly those from minority ethnic groups in nig. All contributions are highly welcome.
The ogba people of Rivers State - The language is called Egi grin

Our ancient people had a very good relationship between themselves until the British showed up. angry

They knew their differences and they respected it and they were never interested in dominating each other.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam / Chinese But Nigerian At Heart / Nigerian Folklore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.