Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? (23756 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? / Some Have Food But Cannot Eat VS. Some Can Eat But Have No Food? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by eleojo23: 10:12am On Jun 07, 2016
whitebeard:
pls answer my question.. DO U HAVE ANY ALLERGY
Yeah.
There is this fruit that gives me tightness of the chest whenever I eat it. I can't remember the English name but whenever I see it or anything like it, I run.
Pure honey also gives me that reaction.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by delors(m): 10:13am On Jun 07, 2016
I have asked this question a million times on Twitter...don't think I v any allergies...not one single one...Delors devours all
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by delors(m): 10:14am On Jun 07, 2016
somehowpenis:
Most people here don't know the meaning of allergy , rather they are stating foods they don't like..
That's true.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by mzclare(f): 10:17am On Jun 07, 2016
Of cos..... I am allergic to honey
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by MrCEO69(m): 10:18am On Jun 07, 2016
Munner:
Yes infact when I eat a particular type of vegetable I get serious ridges all over my body #deadly one..........the pain and the itching that comes with it is Hell as in Hell
i can relate well. V u trying bathing wen it happen? Bros u go bow.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by MrCEO69(m): 10:23am On Jun 07, 2016
tohpahz:
There's a leaf in ibo land used to cook soup..dunno d English name, it's called ugboghiri abi ugboghoho or something like dat..
The day i ate it ,lord hv mercy.. Rashes of life,turned red almost immediately,was scratching like a mad woman on d rd. Thank God for piriton sha..

yeah i still dnt blive it the portion that stop those itching oh... Na so i go clinic expecting a straight medicine for the rxn na so dem tell me there isn't none, that i should tk wan small drug like that. I vex. Now if i hv the rxn i just stay clam look for a cool place and lie down for like 40mins.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by eleojo23: 10:25am On Jun 07, 2016
MrCEO69:

yeah i still dnt blive it the portion that stop those itching oh... Na so i go clinic expecting a straight medicine for the rxn na so dem tell me there isn't none, that i should tk wan small drug like that. I vex. Now if i hv the rxn i just stay clam look for a cool place and lie down for like 40mins.
Can't you just avoid the food that is causing that?
Or is the food too delicious to let go of? grin

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by guyXander(m): 10:29am On Jun 07, 2016
Nnemuka:
Indomie maggi makes me sneeze....
Me too. Even pepper is no go area. I'll get catarrh in harmattan season if I take pepper.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by guyXander(m): 10:30am On Jun 07, 2016
Nnemuka:
Indomie maggi makes me sneeze....
Me too. Even pepper is no go area. I'll get catarrh even in harmattan season if I take pepper.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by MrCEO69(m): 10:33am On Jun 07, 2016
eleojo23:

Can't you just avoid the food that is causing that?
Or is the food too delicious to let go of? grin

lol, read my previous post, u go see sai me still they find the food or the thing am allergic to. Dnt know what my hostel mate used to prepare her equsi to v resulted into what i do normally v but this tym in a higher version of it. I still eat equsi. I eat everything! I cnt pinpoint when and what is the cause of my rxn.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by iukpe: 10:39am On Jun 07, 2016
Supermansteve:
i have gone through the comments, some don't know the meaning of "allergies" Lool
Noticed that too. Its not what you don't like to eat but what makes you sick after eating.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Dripy(m): 10:47am On Jun 07, 2016
Sweetyie:
Since I was born n now I'm getting older, I have never seen a naija person with allergies
I am allergic to honey and dates. The last time I took honey, I ended up writing my will cos I thought I was gonna die from the severe pains I experienced.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by chival(f): 10:49am On Jun 07, 2016
Www.google.com
fabulousmann:
Yes as a matter of fact I do

So do I. I am allergic to caffeine and a few other stuff.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Frabidel(f): 10:53am On Jun 07, 2016
lwkmd.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Teeminjin(f): 10:53am On Jun 07, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:
I'm allergic to strawberries.

my sis too... she swells up when she takes too.. like serious swelling o..
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 07, 2016
mzclare:
Of cos..... I am allergic to honey

Seriously? Does it give you sore throat/cough later?
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by eleojo23: 11:01am On Jun 07, 2016
MrCEO69:

lol, read my previous post, u go see sai me still they find the food or the thing am allergic to. Dnt know what my hostel mate used to prepare her equsi to v resulted into what i do normally v but this tym in a higher version of it. I still eat equsi. I eat everything! I cnt pinpoint when and what is the cause of my rxn.

OK. I understand now.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by darlenese(f): 11:08am On Jun 07, 2016
eleojo23:

You must be a cannibal cheesy

Bhahahahaa
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by kstix(m): 11:21am On Jun 07, 2016
sapientia1:
Yeah, i don't think many Africans, especially Nigerians have allergies to food
we do. I'm allergic to amala and ogbono and each time i take zobo, regardless of where or when, i purge. I've tested this in different locations. My siblings take the same and are perfectly okay
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by shevi4mb(m): 11:27am On Jun 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
ANY slimy food like ogbono, ewedu, okro etc

Same here bro
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by drnoel: 11:34am On Jun 07, 2016
muskham:
A full bred African child has no allergy.

Its ignorance that is killing africans. Imagine this statement.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by kilokeys(m): 11:40am On Jun 07, 2016
i dont do fishes... be it fresh, fried, grilled , boiled or dried..

ill barf for hours... horrible
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Ad0rable: 11:48am On Jun 07, 2016
Am allergic to egg, everything that contains egg & honey embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Teeminjin(f): 11:57am On Jun 07, 2016
im lactose intolerant..
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by yinchar(m): 12:13pm On Jun 07, 2016
I am allergic to SNAIL....either fried or cooked with stew.
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by whitebeard(m): 12:14pm On Jun 07, 2016
eleojo23:

Yeah.
There is this fruit that gives me tightness of the chest whenever I eat it. I can't remember the English name but whenever I see it or anything like it, I run.
Pure honey also gives me that reaction.
lmao..my allergy is not eating anything at sight
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Litmus: 12:29pm On Jun 07, 2016
vikel2104:
People from other continents often come down with mild to severe allergic reactions to certain foods. Do Africans/Nigerians have such allergic reactions to foods? I don't know anyone who is allergic to any food among my relatives. In my opinion, I think it is rare. Do you have any food allergies?

In Nigeria, a great many tribes have traditions of "Forbidden Foods". That is, foods people of the tribe are deterred from consuming. It is cloaked around ancestral gods and the like, but i personally believe the origin lies in allergic reaction to certain foods. My branch of the Isoko tribe at one time were forbidden from consuming coco-yams (sweet-potato). It was thought that if you broke the rules and went ahead and eat coco-yam the gods would punish you with the condition we now know to be the hereditary condition Vitiligo. Possibly, in the past, some in my tribal-branch, broke out in blotches or something after eating coco-yam, and maybe to stop folks eating coco-yams, the elders or medicine people decreed that coo-yams are forbidden by the gods.

Nigerians used to be quite prissy about foods, which is why it surprises me to have come on this forum to read about people, supposedly Nigerians, consuming all manner of ghastly living thing. undecided
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by vikel2104: 12:37pm On Jun 07, 2016
Litmus:

In Nigeria, a great many tribes have traditions of "Forbidden Foods". That is, foods people of the tribe are deterred from consuming. It is cloaked around ancestral gods and the like, but i personally believe the origin lies in allergic reaction to certain foods. My branch of the Isoko tribe at one time were forbidden from consuming coco-yams (sweet-potato). It was thought that if you broke the rules and went ahead and eat coco-yam the gods would punish you with the condition we now know to be Vitiligo.

Nigerians used to be quite prissy about foods, which is why it surprises me to have come on this forum to read about people, supposedly Nigerians, consuming all manner of ghastly living thing. undecided

"consuming all manner of ghastly living thing"! grin
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by Litmus: 12:43pm On Jun 07, 2016
vikel2104:

"consuming all manner of ghastly living thing"! grin

not to mention dead ones... embarassed
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by stanisbaratheon: 12:45pm On Jun 07, 2016
vikel2104:
People from other continents often come down with mild to severe allergic reactions to certain foods. Do Africans/Nigerians have such allergic reactions to foods? I don't know anyone who is allergic to any food among my relatives. In my opinion, I think it is rare. Do you have any food allergies?

why not, we're humans like the europeans you know.

My little niece can't eat any other milk apart from 123 milk else her stomach will ache her for days. What would you call that if not allergy??
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by vikel2104: 12:49pm On Jun 07, 2016
Litmus:

not to mention dead ones... embarassed

Chai! grin grin
Re: Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies? by vikel2104: 12:50pm On Jun 07, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

why not, we're humans like the europeans you know.

My little niece can't eat any other milk apart from 123 milk else her stomach will ache her for days. What would you call that if not allergy??

Sounds like an allergy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Native Chalk / Praise Okereafor Emerges Winner Of Maggi Ota Lenu South West Cooking Show / Nairalanders,what Type Of Food Do You Hate/detest Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.