Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? (11494 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by zizman: 10:31am On Dec 25, 2014
is it compulsory? where did this tradition originate from? if the world is calling for gender equality why must
this be so? doesn't this make a lady look like a "property" of her man? what are your thoughts ?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 25, 2014
hmmmm I need to know too .
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by jasper7(m): 10:37am On Dec 25, 2014
zizman:
is it compulsory? where did this tradition originate from? if the world is calling for gender equality why must
this be so? doesn't this make a lady look like a "property" of her man? what are your thoughts ?
na wa o. the type of things I see on this nairaland sef. if you don't like the change in surname, don't marry. Don't mistake gender equality in marriage with an open-minded marriage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by jasper7(m): 10:42am On Dec 25, 2014
I think the solution will be polygamy or polyandry. so that you guys can vote for the surname una 3 go answer. since everybody is equal. cool Then the kids will vote the surname they want to answer. or maybe una 3 go vote am again
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 25, 2014
I don't think its compulsory but having a shared name gives the family some sense of unity and identity.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 25, 2014
It's not compulsory, but the children must bear their daddy's surname tho'.

A woman can decide whether to answer her husband name, hyphenate it or not at-all.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 10:56am On Dec 25, 2014
Is it a must for a man to pay bride price of a lady?

8 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Evina(f): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2014
All these gender equality talks!

The westerners who introduced the subject, take on their husbands name. Do you have more money, success and fame than Beyonce? Who proudly calls herself Mrs carter on her tours?

The females in under developed countries who don't fully grasp the subject, are causing problems for themselves.

Property of a man, what is wrong in being his property? So long as that property is not being misused or abused, kini big deal?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 25, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
Yes,,itz a must.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Alezy(m): 11:00am On Dec 25, 2014
Elantracey:
hmmmm I need to know too .
its a tradition. Yes it zz
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by temi4fash(m): 11:38am On Dec 25, 2014
Its not compulsory as getting married too is not compulsory....

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by zeekz(m): 11:43am On Dec 25, 2014
its not compulsory but not many men would want to marry a lady dat isnt ready to bear his name, if u dnt want it dnt get married, its not by force.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 25, 2014
Evina:

The westerners who introduced the subject, take on their husbands name. Do you have more money, success and fame than Beyonce? Who proudly calls herself Mrs carter on her tours?

The females in under developed countries who don't fully grasp the subject, are causing problems for themselves.

Property of a man, what is wrong in being his property? So long as that property is not being misused or abused, kini big deal?
Every woman is subjected to her own opinion. They don't need to dwell on Beyonce's own.

Yes! Beyonce doesn't have a problem answering Mrs. Carter.

Chimamanda Adichie and Joke Silva own differs.
Omotola decided to hyphenate her own even though her career hasn't blossomed before she got married.
Different strokes for different folks.

By the way, Is Beyonce really a role model.

11 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Ngwakwe: 12:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
zizman:

Start with your family by convincing your siblings to bear your mother's name as surname.

Assuming your mum is Mrs Angelina David then yours will be:

First Name: Kate

Middle Name: Francisca

Surname: Angelina

Very fantastic

7 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Exjoker(m): 12:37pm On Dec 25, 2014
The simple definition of surname is define as "A FAMILY NAME". I guess it's important you use your husband's name/surname as your surname since you're now coming together to form a family in which your husband is the lead
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by borie4u(m): 12:54pm On Dec 25, 2014
is it compulsory for a woman to live in her husband's house when married? if ur answer is yes then u got the answer u need.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by adebisicutie: 1:26pm On Dec 25, 2014
FrancisTony:

Every woman is subjected to her own opinion. They don't need to dwell on Beyonce's own.

Omotola decided to hyphenate her own even though her career hasn't blossomed before she got married.

Very shallow girl, don't mind her. Is Beyonce now the standard for how women should live their lives undecided who's talking about money, typical Nigerians angry always thinking everything is about money. It's a western tradition to change to the husbands surname so if anyone decides not to follow that tradition that's their prerogative as long as the 2 parties are okay with with. Even a Muslim had told me it's the same in Islam, it's very myopic to think everyone must follow some tradition that is even foreign . Chimamanda Adichie is not any less married than those who choose to change to their husband's surname

11 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lolababe331e: 1:47pm On Dec 25, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:

No it's not, we don't collect bride price where I'm from and I know most Yorubas don't collect bride price because we believe a woman is not property that can be sold.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by iykedare(m): 1:50pm On Dec 25, 2014
FrancisTony:

All These hungry feminists sef? Any woman who feels so big to use the husband 's name should simply stay unmarried.

Chimamanda ,of a sudden, has become a role model to These frustrated single women. It shall be well with you all.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 25, 2014
adebisicutie:

Very shallow girl, don't mind her. Is Beyonce now the standard for how women should live their lives undecided who's talking about money, typical Nigerians angry always thinking everything is about money. It's a western tradition to change to the husbands surname so if anyone decides not to follow that tradition that's their prerogative as long as the 2 parties are okay with with. Even a Muslim had told me it's the same in Islam, it's very myopic to think everyone must follow some tradition that is even foreign . Chimamanda Adichie is not any less married than those who choose to change to their husband's surname
I'm sure she's one of those ladies that believe it's a "man world", just like Sweetlemon.

They're mostly beclouded by religion even though it's ne'er so in the bible.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 25, 2014
iykedare:

All These hungry feminists sef? Any woman who feels so big to use the husband 's name should simply stay unmarried.

Chimamanda ,of a sudden, has become a role model to These frustrated single women. It shall be well with you all.
1) I'm a male.

2) Chimamanda is a role model to both single and married.
...just so you don't know, Chimamanda is married to Dr. Ivara Isege.

11 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by iykedare(m): 2:06pm On Dec 25, 2014
adebisicutie:

Very shallow girl, don't mind her. Is Beyonce now the standard for how women should live their lives undecided who's talking about money, typical Nigerians angry always thinking everything is about money. It's a western tradition to change to the husbands surname so if anyone decides not to follow that tradition that's their prerogative as long as the 2 parties are okay with with. Chimamanda Adichie is not any less married than those who choose to change to their husband's surname

Firstly, beyounce is more of a role model than Chimamanda. So you think it is anyone s prerogative to follow the western custom and you lots are the same people that are against African men who according to African tradition chose to marry more than one wife. You want African men to follow western culture of one man,one wife.

You feminists are clowns.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by adebisicutie: 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2014
FrancisTony:

1) I'm a male.

2) Chimamanda is a role model to both single and married.
...just so you don't know, Chimamanda is married to Dr. Ivara Isege.

Why are you even bothering to reply someone who says Beyonce is more of a role model than Chimamanda Adichie undecided how many African men can survive if their wives decide to emulate Beyonce? The same people who are always ranting about what Tiwa is wearing as a married woman is telling us a woman who's career is centered around seduction and dressing scantily even as a mother and wife is who African women should use as a role model undecided very confused fellow.

Beyoncé has taken her husbands name so therefore Beyonce is the role model married women should have regardless of everything else she does or stands for undecided whereas Chimamanda Adichie who lives a decent life, dresses modestly and such is now a bad role model because she didn't take her husbands surname.

Dude is a joke grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by adebisicutie: 2:25pm On Dec 25, 2014
Nigerian women the joker above says this should be your model

Instead of Chimamanda Adichie who is a well educated and well dressed woman who is proud to wear her natural hair and has not whitened her skin

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Truckpusher(m): 2:27pm On Dec 25, 2014
Evina:

Please help me tell all these wannabes with nothing to offer except puccy and nagging. angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by iykedare(m): 2:28pm On Dec 25, 2014
Adebisicutie,

Don't be a hypocrite.

1. It is western culture for a woman to adopt her husband's name.
2. It is western culture for a man to marry just one wife.

I'm sure you agree with number 1 and not 2. You are confused.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by adebisicutie: 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
It is okay for women to follow the western culture of picking their husbands surnames but you don't want the western culture of the man doing house chores and bathing the kids , changing pampers and such.

Talk about confused undecided

I'm out of here jare, no time for back and forth with a confused fellow.

Merry Christmas everyone grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Haywhymido(m): 3:23pm On Dec 25, 2014
Am here to read people's opinion. Thank u all as u comment
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by cococandy(f): 4:02pm On Dec 25, 2014
Some people on nairaland are very confused and funny. Now you know
adebisicutie:

Why are you even bothering to reply someone who says Beyonce is more of a role model than Chimamanda Adichie undecided how many African men can survive if their wives decide to emulate Beyonce? The same people who are always ranting about what Tiwa is wearing as a married woman is telling us a woman who's career is centered around seduction and dressing scantily even as a mother and wife is who African women should use as a role model undecided very confused fellow.

Beyoncé has taken her husbands name so therefore Beyonce is the role model married women should have regardless of everything else she does or stands for undecided whereas Chimamanda Adichie who lives a decent life, dresses modestly and such is now a bad role model because she didn't take her husbands surname.

Dude is a joke grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by cococandy(f): 4:04pm On Dec 25, 2014
Evina:

Property of a man, what is wrong in being his property??
Accept my sympathy. cry

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by cococandy(f): 4:05pm On Dec 25, 2014
adebisicutie:
Nigerian women the joker above says this should be your model

Instead of Chimamanda Adichie who is a well educated and well dressed woman who is proud to wear her natural hair and has not whitened her skin

Nicki Minaj and Amber Rose are also role models.
Haven't you heard?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Evina(f): 4:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
cococandy:

Accept my sympathy. Congratulations. smiley

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sex Between Brothers And Sisters Should Be LEGAL, Says German Government’s Ethic / My Brother In Law Slapped Me Twice And Beat Me Up!! / Why Are You Still Married?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.