Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,918 members, 7,806,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 (43858 Views)

Photos From Wema Bank Old School Day Celebration / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by sukkot: 3:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Your Christian religion was introduced to blacks by the Whiteman.

i dont deal in religion
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by ellahzy(f): 3:50pm On Dec 25, 2014
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Burlah4u2c(m): 4:03pm On Dec 25, 2014
it's glaring that was photoshopped... too bright letters, no shades nor contour... anyway it's nice...
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Anwasia(m): 4:08pm On Dec 25, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
dainformant:
The above picture was taken back in Dec 25th, 1923 during a Christmas celebration in Badagry, Lagos....The racist photo shows blacks painted with the bold inscriptions 'Merry Xmas Badagry, 1923"

Source; National Helm

Can't help but wonder How many of them are still alive?
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by PapiDShipCapt(m): 4:29pm On Dec 25, 2014
Jarizod:
I see a little

D whites sit on chairs while d blacks sleep on d floor
How about d black kid sitting on the chair?
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by ThaProphet(m): 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2014
Daverytimes:
Are you people that stu pid? seriously are Nigerians this stu pid? There is nothing racial about the pic? you mean to tell me that the white men in that pic viewed those black servants as their equal? Its freaking 1923, the British weren't in Nigeria because they viewed us as equals. They were there to exploit us because in there minds they were the master race, and despite this fact its somehow not a Racial pic but a "Creative" one. Ignorance is truly a disease in Nigeria, the lot of you need to go to school. Wow, this ticked me off.

100%!!

In response to your first line, I would really struggle to say No. The display of ignorance on this thread is ridiculous. Even the KKK would admit that the picture is racist.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by ThaProphet(m): 4:36pm On Dec 25, 2014
PapiDShipCapt:

How about d black kid sitting on the chair?

So, if I enslave your entire family and make them work on my farms all chained together but I allow the youngest member of your family to stay inside my house, I am not a slave master?

Problem is; majority see racism as a particular race not wanting to be around or mix withanother race. With this flawed logic, we can as well assume that racism no longer exists. Right undecided
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by PapiDShipCapt(m): 4:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
ThaProphet:

So, if I enslave your entire family and make them work on my farms all chained together but I allow the youngest member of your family to stay inside my house, I am not a slave master?

Problem is; majority see racism as a particular race not wanting to be around or mix withanother race. With this flawed logic, we can as well assume that racism no longer exists. Right undecided
Slavery is not classified as racism sir. Because in those early days even whites r enslaved too. If your could analyse both terms and relating with this picture, i think you will understand better.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by makazona(m): 5:05pm On Dec 25, 2014
EdCure:

Yes, but maybe not in iboland.

thats not fair.you mustn't be tribal in ur comments

1 Like

Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Franchise21(m): 5:56pm On Dec 25, 2014
so Nigerians do wear clothes in 1923... Thought they used leaves then
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by saudatu(m): 6:16pm On Dec 25, 2014
barcanista:
What is racist here?

Bro you be sharp man oo. Kudos!
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:
Why are the black guys sooo black and ugly.

And dem dey bone face join their ugliness.

Do not be mistaken, there is a clear difference between the black and the white races.

One is obviously Superior.

Accepting the truth is the first step to total emancipation.

Living in self denial is slavery in itself.
The white man never made himself whatever he is today. He came into the world and saw he has a white skin, straight hair and a culture. Everything is under God's plan and design therefore nobody has the right to say blacks are inferior or despise anything God made. Anything could happen at any point in time. It could be that blacks were created long after the white race so they are probably still evolving as the white man evolved from a cave man to whatever he is today. The blacks may rise one day and lead. Everything is under God's plan and design.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by ThaProphet(m): 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
PapiDShipCapt:

Slavery is not classified as racism sir. Because in those early days even whites r enslaved too. If your could analyse both terms and relating with this picture, i think you will understand better.

My analogy was not about slavery and racism. It was mainly about slavery. It was aimed at the logic used by the person I quoted which suggests that because a little kid was sitting next to the white men, the white men automatically are not racist. Hence the reason for my analogy.

Now unto Slavery and Racism since its been brought up. Both concepts, although different in dictionary meaning are not mutually exclusive. They often happen in tandem.

It is not as simplistic as saying "slavery is not classified as racism".

Whites were enslaved too but you need to understand that "slavery" exists in different forms and within the so called "white race", there exists differences. However, I am speaking as an African person and in the context of this particular picture. The picture portrays both slavery and racism.

Racism is actually a very recent concept. It was invented in order to justify slavery and colonialism. So, there's a nexus between the two concepts. At least from an African reality. Why then would - in order to justify slavery - the church have a debate on whether or not African people have souls? They argued that Africans have no soul and therefore, are lesser humans thus, their slavery is justified = slavery and racism working together.

Racism also only exists within the power dynamic. Without power, there really is no racism, just prejudice.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by verygudbadguy(m): 6:56pm On Dec 25, 2014
PapiDShipCapt:
I don't see racism in this picture.

Then u must be wearing a dark shade. That was an era where slave trade was like Moin-moin & Akara.

Don't be surprised wen u hear dat d blacks in d pix were exchanged for small mirror.

How did u think Serena and Venus Williams got to America? grin
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:
Why are the black guys sooo black and ugly.

And dem dey bone face join their ugliness.

Do not be mistaken, there is a clear difference between the black and the white races.

One is obviously Superior.

Accepting the truth is the first step to total emancipation.

Living in self denial is slavery in itself.

Your mother is a who.re, you nasty, stup.id bastar.d. I don't know who is more pathetic, you or the imbeciles who 'liked' your comment. Worthless scum of the earth. Your type must be eliminated and crushed from this continent. And you will.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ontarget:

The white man never made himself whatever he is today. He came into the world and saw he has a white skin, straight hair and a culture. Everything is under God's plan and design therefore nobody has the right to say blacks are inferior or despise anything God made. Anything could happen at any point in time. It could be that blacks were created long after the white race so they are probably still evolving as the white man evolved from a cave man to whatever he is today. The blacks may rise one day and lead. Everything is under God's plan and design.

So at your age, you actually think whites were on this earth before blacks? Instead of you people to drop that bible or what
ever rubbish you read, and go and engage in proper historical research of your origins - of who you are - you sit peddling and imbibing blind ignorance. It's shameful and tragic.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by PapiDShipCapt(m): 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2014
verygudbadguy:

Then u must be wearing a dark shade. That was an era where slave trade was like Moin-moin & Akara.

Don't be surprised wen u hear dat d blacks in d pix were exchanged for small mirror.

How did u think Serena and Venus Williams got to America? grin
With due respect sir, I think one can't gain knowledge from ur post. The context of ur post is only talking about slavery. Slavery and racism are 2 different things.

I feel the blacks are only slaves to the whites in the pix. If you think slavery is racism, also understand that in that same era whites were also enslaved by white and possibly other blacks who r fortunate to be powerful or wealthy.

I can agree with you that there can be cases of racial abuses on black slaves, but our focus is on this picture.

Thank you

Merry Xmas
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Avidot: 7:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
dainformant:
The above picture was taken back in Dec 25th, 1923 during a Christmas celebration in Badagry, Lagos....The racist photo shows blacks painted with the bold inscriptions 'Merry Xmas Badagry, 1923"

Source; National Helm

Photoshop!!
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Excuse the paintings on their body.

The blackman has a million Everests to climb if he is to equal the whiteman. it is achievable in a 1000years if we seriously get to task now. But to surpass the Whiteman is an impossibility. when exactly do u feel the blackman will become superior to the whiteman, when do u see the table turning..its technically impossible.this is not a case of student outsmarting his teacher, cos in this case, Africans havnt even been to school road, let alone knowing their teacher.

Africans need to wake up first from their slumber and be divinely guided on the pathway to the Whitemans school.

Dunce, just this last century the white man slaughtered 100 million of his own in two 'world' wars. Starvation, mass bombings, gassing of children, women etc. There is nothing unique or special about white people. All that's needed is a nuclear detonation somewhere today, and the whites you think are demi-gods would have their lives reduced to nothing. Meanwhile in human history terms, whites are newcomers to civilization. Africans invented writing, mathematics, architecture, medicine, the sciences, and religion, THOUSANDS of years before the first white civilization existed. Much of what they inherited intellectually came from black Africa. The Nubian pyramids of Sudan (below) were built by blacks using advanced geometry and mathematics when whites were still running around in the caves of the Caucasus mountains in northern Europe.

1 Like

Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by HopeAtHand: 7:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Dunce, just this last century the white man slaughtered 100 million of his own in two 'world' wars. Starvation, mass bombings, gassing of children, women etc. There is nothing unique or special about white people. All that's needed is a nuclear detonation somewhere today, and the whites you think are demi-gods would have their lives reduced to nothing. Meanwhile in human history terms, whites are newcomers to civilization. Africans invented writing, mathematics, architecture, medicine, the sciences, and religion, THOUSANDS of years before the first white civilization existed. Much of what they inherited intellectually came from black Africa.

You are deeply pained and fail to accept the reality at hand.

The whiteman came in Ships to black Africa and met the blackman living in jungles with leaves wrapped around his loins.

The whiteman made the blackman exchange humans for sugar and clothings, forced the blackman into servitude and taught the blackman his ways.

The whiteman literally gave the blackmam civilization up ontil this point where you are able to use a phone or laptop to post on this forum.

Rossike, what are the inventions of the blackman, what are his contributiona to science and technology, what are his contributions to the Arts..And measure such contributions relative to that of the whiteman.

Accept the truth, it wouldnt be out of place to say they've given us almost everything.What is expected of us is to accept our situation as it is and then task ourselves assiduously to measure up.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by 2prexios: 7:48pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:

You are deeply pained and fail to accept the reality at hand.

The whiteman came in Ships to black Africa and met the blackman living in jungles with leaves wrapped around his loins.

The whiteman made the blackman exchange humans for sugar and clothings, forced the blackman into servitude and taught the blackman his ways.

The whiteman literally gave the blackmam civilization up ontil this point where you are able to use a phone or laptop to post on this forum.

Rossike, what are the inventions of the blackman, what are his contributiona to science and technology, what are his contributions to the Arts..And measure such contributions relative to that of the whiteman.

Accept the truth, it wouldnt be out of place to say they've given us almost everything.What is expected of us is to accept our situation as it is and then task ourselves assiduously to measure up.
You are the best of slaves, beyond emancipation.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by HopeAtHand: 7:57pm On Dec 25, 2014
2prexios:
You are the best of slaves, beyond emancipation.

Its unnecessary of you.

Its a simple analysis of the blackmans situation.

If you believe you have a counter argument, why not state it..or maybe your brain is incapable of critical reasoning.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by freecharles(m): 8:09pm On Dec 25, 2014
Nigerians then sef chop chest and looks fit
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by 2prexios: 8:16pm On Dec 25, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Its unnecessary of you.

Its a simple analysis of the blackmans situation.

If you believe you have a counter argument, why not state it..or maybe your brain is incapable of critical reasoning.
I have seen your genius from the first post, your brain works at full capacity on stuffs like these and your agenda is to bring everybody down to your worldview level. Write off the black man, thats your consolation as slave. Lisbon wax fat on slave trade, says Karl Marx. You can undo the slave trade in history, let's see if the present world and attending prosperity would have been. Slaves of hundred generations will always want to tell about human civilization from slave/master worldview. Slaves cannot tell empire stories cause they dont have the wherewithal.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Tinyemeka(m): 8:46pm On Dec 25, 2014
EdCure:

Yes, but maybe not in iboland.
Educate yourself. Be a voice; not an echo.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by verygudbadguy(m): 8:50pm On Dec 25, 2014
PapiDShipCapt:

With due respect sir, I think one can't gain knowledge from ur post. The context of ur post is only talking about slavery. Slavery and racism are 2 different things.

I feel the blacks are only slaves to the whites in the pix. If you think slavery is racism, also understand that in that same era whites were also enslaved by white and possibly other blacks who r fortunate to be powerful or wealthy.

I can agree with you that there can be cases of racial abuses on black slaves, but our focus is on this picture.

Thank you

Merry Xmas

Wish u d same my friend. I disagree wit u abt d slavery is nt racism tin.
1st, it was racism dat brought abt slavery. If d Oyinbos didn't see Blacks as inferior n diff from dem in colour, dey wudnt av enslaved dem.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Creamish(f): 9:11pm On Dec 25, 2014
dainformant:

Source; National Helm

Nuttn "Merry" about their faces....
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by mimiy05: 9:11pm On Dec 25, 2014
The men with the letter M's and their pot belly tho undecided
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

So at your age, you actually think whites were on this earth before blacks? Instead of you people to drop that bible or what
ever rubbish you read, and go and engage in proper historical research of your origins - of who you are - you sit peddling and imbibing blind ignorance. It's shameful and tragic.
Its not FACT. And that's why I said "it could be". It's only a probability. Have you done any research yourself? So what's your findings?
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by Harmony222(m): 10:54pm On Dec 25, 2014
dainformant:

Source; National Helm
FAKE!!!!! idontbelieveit. that lettering was computerized angry ..
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by delishpot: 12:20am On Dec 26, 2014
Look at people talking sha. Most of them have done worse to their house girls and drivers, most of them did worse than that photo to their sales girls and boys even today. Yet they cry blue murder over that photo.
Get over it people. Even the isrealites were once slaves to the egyptians, yes, what happened was bad, but we need to move past that.
Indians were once collonized by the british, Now we run to india for medical tourism.
Our leaders have not treated us better than these white folks. The white folks in that picrure for all we care may be missionaries who gave up their comfort at home to start a school in Badagry. Not every white person was a slave master just as not every Nigerian is a 419er and not every muslim is Boko Haram.
Nigerians look forward, there is still much work to be done. We arent treating ourselves better the last time I checked.
Most of you, will not agree to sit with your gatemen, drivers, gardners and house helps too if you were called to take a foto of you and your staff and that is black man to black man level o.
Besides, those letterings and numbers are photoshopped abi photobought. Abeg make una let us hear word.
Last time I checked it was a fellow Nigerian that promised to soak the baboon and dog in blood.
Last time I chrcked it was a black father that took his daughter to boko camp ro be a succide bomber, last tine I checked it was a black man that blew people in Nnyanya, last time I checked Iyabo Obasanjo was black, last time I checked, those beheaded corpses were dumped by black men in uncompleted buildings and along road sides
Abeg, make we try and manage move on.
Re: Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 by tpia0002: 3:01am On Dec 26, 2014
dainformant:

Source; National Helm

which church?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Adamawa Governor Sat In Atiku's House (Photo) / How I Will Rule My Kingdom — 17 Yr Old Delta King / Olori Naomi Oluwaseyi Ogunwusi And Her Sisters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.